OtakuBoards

Trick Or Treating: Fun or Immature?

KarmaOfChaos

[color=deeppink]
Well, I thought I'd post a nice, holiday-oriented topic up. As you all know, Halloween was yesterday. My friends and I chose to go t'o'ting this year, and had a very good time. Later today, I was talking with one of my friends, and I told him I had gone t'o'ting. He proceeded to say that t'o'ting is childish, and he couldn't believe that I still did it.

However, I think t'o'ting is quite fun. You get to walk around your neighborhood, talk with your friends, dress up, and you get free candy! Sure, you could go to a party and do almost the exact same thing, but I find something a little special about the tradition of t'o'ting, and I don't think a party could ever replace that. I believe that it's fine as long as you're still a teen, and possibly even into your early twenties. Although I will probably end up just going to parties after I graduate high school, I still enjoy t'o'ting now. Yet I have people younger than me calling me childish for going.

So what do [i]you[/i] think? Immature or fun?

[color=teal][font=times new roman][b]In my opinion, trick or treating has lost its charm. Sure it was fun when I was younger..alot younger..But now, being 18, I find it quite childish.

I do not think of it as "immature", it's supposed to be for children. This is their holiday, but I will say it's immature for an older child/teen to make a joke out of the holiday. Picking on little kids and taking things too far. Things like egging vehicles and houses, toilet papering houses and trees, you know immature activities as such. That's when it becomes "immature".

I love the holiday and I support those who go trick or treating for the actual purpose.

~anima[/color][/font][/b]

I don't go trick or treating anymore. It's lost my fun, and besides I had a blast going to a party with my friends on Halloween night. A bunch of teenagers came to our door, I was surprised.
I just don't think trick or treating is fun anymore, sure you get free candy, but I am not as playful and joyous as I was when I was a kid. I'm just not, I have no clue why. If kids want to go around on Halloween night and get candy, I have no problem with it. They just want to have fun.

Well, here Halloween never loses its touch. Some people are 17 and still find a way to go trick or treating. They'll either take smaller kids out, slip on a scream mask, or just go out as themselves. Truly, they just want the free candy. Just Friday morning a 6th grader bought candy and cupcakes for the bus driver and a 11th grader sat behind her. She reached over the seat and stole one of her Margeret's(driver) cupcakes and ate it. It's just the wanting of sweets.

So really it's not immature to me. People just want to have fun and get something that will make them sick from old ladies who like kids.

[color=red][size=1][font=arial]Yeesh, guys.

You get to dress up and be anyone you want for a night. Even if you don't get candy, that's so worth it.

Immature, maybe. But that doesn't hide the fact that its so fun ^_^

--Chris[/color][/size][/font]

One day a year you get to dress up as anything and go up to peoples' houses for candy. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Sounds more like people are worried that others will make fun of them more than they think it is an actual problem. Free candy is rarely bad... unless it's candy corn. I hate that crap.

Around the colleges here tons of people dress up and mess around. Many people in the teenage bracket are too concerned with their coolness factor, I guess. Who cares, have fun.

Heh, I [i]love[/i] candy corn.

Trick or treating is quite enjoyable, and I don't see why anyone would find it embarrassing. First of all, it's dark outside. Who's going to see you? Secondly, if dressing up makes you self-conscious, then you have some other issues to work on. ^_~

Despite all this, I haven't gone trick or treating in two years. Last year, I stayed at home writing a history paper. This year, I suppose I just got lazy. I didn't feel like putting in the effort required to pull together a great costume. Besides, there are easier ways to get candy--although it certainly won't be free.

If you're with the right group of people, trick or treating will always be fun, regardless of how old or jaded you are.

~Dagger~

[color=deeppink]
Yea! I'm not alone! ^^;; Amen to all y'all(wow, my southerness is showing). People are just too concerned about what people will think of them. Inside, they feel a deep want to go t'o'ting, but the supress it and go to some silly party. ^-~ With that said...on to breakfast! * pulls out her pillowcase full of candy and begins her war against the candy *

I love trick or treating and I?ll never feel to old till I have kids, and then I?d have to take them. Hehe . The only problem I have is my friends don?t dress up. Only two out of the five of us dressed up and no one knew who I was (Conner McCloud of the clan McCloud). Never to old for free candy I always say.

I went trick-or-treating and got lots of candy! *thinks and remembers that she actually had a sandwich and chips for lunch* O_o WHAT was I thinking?

Well, anyway, back on topic.... Free candy, dressing to fit any describtion, it's trick-or-treating man! What is there NOT to like?

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Semjaza Azazel [/i]
[B]One day a year you get to dress up as anything and go up to peoples' houses for candy. I don't see what's wrong with that.

Sounds more like people are worried that others will make fun of them more than they think it is an actual problem. Free candy is rarely bad... unless it's candy corn. I hate that crap.

Around the colleges here tons of people dress up and mess around. Many people in the teenage bracket are too concerned with their coolness factor, I guess. Who cares, have fun. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Couldn't have said it better myself. :D

If you don't feel like trick or treating...then don't do it. But if you still enjoy it, go for it.

I think it's great to let your inner child out now and then. ^_^[/color]

[size=1]Trick or Treating was this afternoon in my neighborhood. I think it was one till three, or something. I have to admit, it loses some romance when you're walking about during a Sunday afternoon in November. / Halloween was a Friday night, too, and that would have been perfect... (granted, my drama group was performing during ideal trick-or-treating hours, but still.)

I didn't go this year. If I had gotten some friends together, I think it would have been fun.....on the other hand, I'm far too tired/sick to go out and walk around in the rain for a couple hours. I did wear a costume on our last day of school this week. That was fun, although I think I was the only person who did so, heh.

And advice to anyone planning to go trick-or-treating next year: Get a friend or two and have someone's parents drive you to a new subdivision area. The people who live in those places generally have kids, so almost every house gives out candy. They're fairly condensed areas, too--there are fewer trick-or-treaters coming by, so they usually have really [i]good[/i] candy. *laughs softly*

We just moved to an area right by a new subdivision, heh. My kid brother went out for less than an hour, and got more/better candy than I ever got on my best years of ranging the city streets where we used to live.[/size]

[color=009966]If I could, I would go trick-or-treating, but my mom says I'm too old....I'm only 15 for Fred's sake. :grumble:

Anyway, there was an away football game on Halloween, so the band of course went and dressed up in our costumes since it was the other team's homecoming game and we didn't have to do our half-time show. It was fun. We got candy, partied in the stands, and had a costume contest, and I'll go ahead and say that there were some very interesting costumes, lol....[/color]

Nice to know that a lot of people here aren't too uptight :p

Come on, I'm 17 (almost 18) and I go trick or treating without a second thought. I just throw on a costume and go out - it's free candy! With the way stores overcharge for candy these days, I'm happy to get some free stuff once in a while :D

Also, it's fun to be weird and inventive with your costumes. Last year, I dressed in all black and went out as The Invisible Pedestrian (very dangerous costume - except in my town, where the street lights are on 24/7). This year, I just threw on my dad's old Kings jersey and put my USC cap on sideways and went as John Cena from the WWE. Making up random raps and singing them to the people who were giving me candy was pretty fun, heh.

So, yeah, I'm not really ashamed to admit I still go trick or treating. Is it a bit immature? Maybe, but who really cares?

Oh yeah, and try to stay away from my neighborhood - nothing but cheap candy and toy cows here o_O;

I wouldn't call trick-or-treating immature; it's refreshing in a sense. As time goes on, it seems like the adults have tried to take Halloween from the kids by putting an emphasis on drinking parties. Furthermore, neighborhood residents don't interact with one another on the same level as they once did. Back in the day, people would keep an eye on one another's children. There was a tight-knit network of parenting in neighborhoods. Most older people will tell you this. Now, society has changed and people have more of a personal, "mind your own business and I'll mind mine" sort of attitude.

So, it's refreshing to see the interaction that comes along with Halloween. Parents and children walk the neighborhood and the community enjoys a friendly, upbeat atmosphere. I'm glad that all the paranoia ranging from kidnapping to terrorist attacks hasn't put a permanent damper on that.

Despite my fondness of the holiday, I wouldn't even consider trick-or-treating, though. Being twenty-two years of age, that time has passed for me. I continued participating into my late teens, so I did well. It made me feel special when I was very young. Like, I could escape and be my greatest heroes for a day. They're memories that I'll always cherish but I had to move on at some point. If I were to continue trick-or-treating, I would feel as if I imposing--taking candy away from the kids. It's their time now. I'd feel more content just handing out candy. ^_^;;

I still wouldn't mind dressing up; I didn't this year only because of time issues. That's the only reason.

When I have kids someday, you can be sure that I'll take them around. It's something I'm greatly looking forward to. Those are times I'll treasure. I don't know how anyone could stain such an activity by calling it immature.

Has anyone noticed that since 9/11 hardly anyone trick or treats anymore? It might just be my neighborhood but when I was a kid the neighborhood was crawling with us and this halloween I didn't even have to slow down because some kid thought cars couldn't hurt him.
As for the topic, I wouldn't call it immature but there's kinda no reason to when you're older than 16.

(lol, I always wish for lottsa chocolate!) I think trick or treating is still fun... I mean if you get a bunch of your friends together and dress up in silly costumes it becomes like a party that moves from place to place. Plus, on what other night can you get FREE candy? FREE CANDY!!! You're never too old for free candy. Speaking of which, I think I'm going to go eat some right now..... ^_^

Calm down, stop worrying about if you are being "childish" or not, and have fun. In a few years you probably won't do it anymore, because you'll be too old, and too 'cool' to do it.

"Oh my god, did you see tash trick or treating? What a loser Hahaha, she needs to get a life like we have, and stand around leaning against a wall."

[I hope no one here is called Tash][This is a mimicry]

[color=silver]Around these parts there's a very wealthy area named 'Burwood park' and it's full of rich, American people, so you can really experience an American Halloween there. I went with Break there once, he was a monk, funny times.

Well I was in a America during Halloween and I took some 6 year olds, I feel very responsible over children for some reason, it was nice to see.

I have mixed feelings about Halloween. In my opinion, it's more of an American celebration considering it originated there, and the people who live here are boring. I do not go out of my way for it and become overly excited, yet there's a nice element to actually force people to come to my house for Trick or Treating.

Two years ago, I knew a Swedish guy who was obsessed with the military and came as a commando armed with a run down mustard-filled water gun. I thought he posed as a threat and I threw an apple in his face, I felt so guilty, yet devious at the same time. So there's an example of the laughs I get with friends.

This Halloween I went as a simple costume, a Lord of the Rings, Ring Wraith. It game me the opportunity to hide in the darkness so that was fun. I guess I can't really appreciate the real excitement of it as last year I got chased by a drunken gang and that kind of put me off it but I support the whole 'go-Halloween-ism'. [/color]