OtakuBoards

Naruto!

SasukeUchiha

Which ones cooler  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones cooler

[quote name='Godelsensei][COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Fricken dubbies. If Naruto's ever dubbed into English, I think a good number of fans will be forced to commit simultanious seppuku. X_x[/spoiler][/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

*is mildly offended* No matter which company licenses it, Naruto is going to get dubbed and almost certainly put on television. But so long as it's not taken by either 4Kids or Tokyopop, the show will also receive an uncut, dual-language DVD release... thanks to FUNimation, even some 4Kids series have recently been given that treatment. I just find it strange that sub purists [i]who won't listen to the dub anyway[/i] complain about the mere [I]possibility[/I] of one being created.

In any case, I'm curious: do you all think the Naruto manga will end up being fully animated? Inuyasha just wrapped up in Japan--but the corresponding manga is still ongoing. The last part of Rurouni Kenshin never made it to television. Obviously this also applies to a lot of other anime in the genre (i.e. Get Backers). What's the likelihood that, several years down the line, Naruto will be able to avoid meeting a similar fate?

~Dagger~

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]I'm pretty sure the show will cover all of the manga because certain unnamed parties have done enough to make it obvious they're milking the series at many-a-point.

Taking the popularity of Naruto into consideration, this makes sense, marketing-wise.

As long as they can keep a stable number of viewers, I'm pretty sure the show will go on.

Also, the manga's already at quite a length, and though I hate to think it, 'twill have to end sooner or later.

Let's hope it's later. >_>

Oh, and by the way...

I used to try and watch the dubbs on my DVDs first, and they were just all so bad, barring Mononoke, I gave up for good.
Also, artistically, I can't stand for it. u.u[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1][color=navy]Here's your second post.

-Dag[/color][/size]

[COLOR=Gray][FONT=Courier New]Friends, peers, and complete strangers, the time has come to don our white robes, find a worthy second, and crack out the slightly smaller yaiba we keep at our respective sides.

It's [i]seppuku[/i] at dawn, and never was their a more earth-shattering reason...

Naruto is [i]almost[/i] most definately about to be licensed.

(Hit the link on Narutofan for details.)[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
If you want to bump a thread, copy your last post to Notepad or something, delete the aforementioned post, and create a new reply with whatever you said before plus whatever you urgently needed to add. Goal accomplished, the contents of your post preserved and no rules broken. :)

EDIT: Naruto [i]has[/i] been [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/pressrelease.php?id=851][u]licensed[/u][/url]. Let the weeping commence! *grabs a bowl of popcorn and prepares to enjoy the show* I doubt there'll be too much of an uproar here, but at some of the boards I visit, the leechers will be going freaking insane. It's going to be very entertaining. :D

~Dagger~

[quote name='demonboy']Since it's half way through the series I doubt that everyone will stop subtitling it, however, that is an extremely likely possiblity.[/quote]
Some of the big groups have dropped it (and kudos to them from doing so). Others have announced that they will definitely continue with the series. Given what happened with Inuyasha, One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist, I doubt Naruto fansubs are going to vanish entirely. Of course, that hasn't stopped people from complaining.

In a way, this may end up being a test of the current incarnation of fansubbing. Pretty much everyone and his little sister knows that Naruto has been [i]insanely[/i] popular on the digisub circuit. If, for some bizarre reason, the show doesn't do that well in terms of DVD sales and whatnot, it'll be crystal clear that digisubs can have a noticeable negative impact on the industry.

At the same time, one can also look at it more optimistically--Naruto is already very well-known in the States, thanks both to the manga and the fansubs; this is an amazing chance for the pre-established fans (particularly those who were introduced to it by BT) to vote with their wallets and show the licensor & CN that they are a force to be reckoned with, and don't mind spending money and/or time (via television viewings) on something they were previously getting for free.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]The thing that pisses me off, more than anything else, is how the franchise's reputation is going to take a serious beating.

Targeting Naruto at eight year olds was something we were all hoping would be avoided, but, alas, it was not to be.[/QUOTE]
Er... on what are you basing the assumption that it'll be targeted at eight year olds?

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]Er... on what are you basing the assumption that it'll be targeted at eight year olds?

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Perhaps the fact that it is scheduled to air on Toonami and that any anime that ever goes to television is targeted at eight year olds. (Aside from those few occasions where one might air at midnight or something like that.)

One cannot pretend to be optimistic when things like American One Piece exist.

*dies*

[QUOTE=Godelsensei]Perhaps the fact that it is scheduled to air on Toonami and that any anime that ever goes to television is targeted at eight year olds. (Aside from those few occasions where one might air at midnight or something like that.)

One cannot pretend to be optimistic when things like American One Piece exist.

*dies*[/QUOTE]
One Piece aired on FoxBox. There's a huge difference between that and Toonami. Yu Yu Hakusho (which belongs to the same genre and is similar in certain respects) underwent some pretty thorough "violence" censoring in order to air on Toonami, but the essential spirit & heart of the show remained unchanged. The relationships between the characters, their group dynamic and their actual personalities were not toned down.

Naruto, too, has more going for it than sheer goriness, so even if it were to air on Toonami, I don't think it's fair to compare the potential consequences of that with the heart-breaking travesty which is the American version of One Piece.

The material I've read doesn't indicate whether Naruto will go to Toonami or Adult Swim. If you've seen something that delves into this & perhaps other specifics, could you point me to a link or something?

*pat on the back* Hey, it's better than 4Kids. Or, for that matter, Tokyopop. Keep hope alive, lassie. ;)

~Dagger~

[FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Does it really matter if it goes on Toonami or Adult Swim. Also, when is Toonami? All I see now is Miguzi, which is like, very, very out-of-sync with the rest of CN.
[quote name='Dagger IX1']Some of the big groups have dropped it (and kudos to them from doing so). [/quote] May I be so bold as to ask what you are implying here? Are you saying that the altruism of fansubbing is immediately removed the moment a series is licensed, or are you just saying, "Good for them, because now they are in less possible trouble than those who won't stop and therefore can continue to bring us other fansubs."
[QUOTE]In a way, this may end up being a test of the current incarnation of fansubbing... If, for some bizarre reason, the show doesn't do that well in terms of DVD sales and whatnot, it'll be crystal clear that digisubs can have a noticeable negative impact on the industry.[/QUOTE] Well, it's a complex situation, one that isn't as simply solved like that. For me, most things I see on TV aren't worth buying because of just that: they are on TV, so I can watch it there. Why bother buying it when I'm paying for Cable already and getting my money's worth? Ok, my dad is paying for Cable, but we're still paying. :p

Next, anime DVDs, as you may as well know, are very annoying SOBs. They are noticeably foreign for anyone living here. First, you have only five episodes on the first DVD, and then, successive DVDs can have to as little as TWO episodes. Yet, they all cost the same! They know people who buy anime are going to buy all or nothing, so they squeeze one or more DVDs than necessary.

Now, let's compare that to what domestic DVDs are like here. You get an entire season on one DVD (about 24 episodes?). That's WAY more than a mere five episodes, and exponentially larger than two. Time-wise (how long it takes to watch), that's ten times as much for 10 dollars more (at the most).

1152 minutes worth of a show (usual) vs. 100 minutes (MAX)... I'm tempted to say "screw it" to anime DVDs sometimes...

Now, publicity... My God, I didn't even know that AppleSeed was airing in theatres until it was mentioned here. And I posted about it on myO! Thankfully, the DVD release three days earlier made sure I wasn't going to bother going anyway. That was such trash, but that's another story.

To give a more prominent example, Escaflowne deserved recognition and popularity. What the hell happened? I saw it fansubbed (VHS). But when it was on Fox, it was so boring and tedious. I don't fully understand why either, but I know it had something to do with how abrupt the episodes felt along with how the atmosphere was cut from the series. C'mon, anyone in their right mind thinks Escaflowne deserved more than a mere glance. But, because it was so unpublicized and known, it flopped and was cancelled before completion.

Going back to the DVD thing, I'm most likely not going to buy Naruto. I want to buy it, but if it's released like other anime series, I don't think Naruto is worth 500+ dollars. Dragonball Z was released like that, and I've never heard of people actually owning the entire garbology. On the other hand, if Naruto is boxed by seasons (there are like, five seasons so far), then that's more than doable. Provided that the most per DVD is 30, instead of the usual 20.

Last, Naruto is going to have a kiddie fanbase. I just know it. Kids don't have money, and if it's going to be released with 100 DVDs, no mother in their right mind is going to buy it.

Just a side-note: I should also point out how much Viz's translations suck. Senny is a refugee from the manga experience, so he can explain it best. I'm still confused how they managed to pull "Art of the Doppleganger" from "Shadow Clone."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Toonami is only on Saturday nights, right before the Saturday edition of Adult Swim.
[quote name='AzureWolf][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]May I be so bold as to ask what you are implying here? Are you saying that the altruism of fansubbing is immediately removed the moment a series is licensed, or are you just saying, "Good for them, because now they are in less possible trouble than those who won't stop and therefore can continue to bring us other fansubs."[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
More of the latter. With a series this high-profile, I wouldn't be especially surprised if the groups that kept going started to get C&D orders toward the end of the year/early next year (once Naruto begins to air on CN, and the DVDs are announced).

[QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]First, you have only five episodes on the first DVD, and then, successive DVDs can have to as little as TWO episodes.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Yeah, if the show in question is called [b]Gantz[/b]. :p

I have to say, it's understandable if fans feel slightly apprehensive about Viz licensing Naruto (if it really is Viz, and if they plan on sticking to their old ways). Releasing a super-long series like Inuyasha at three episodes per disc is simply unacceptable. They re-worked the episode count for the box set, but ended up giving us even worse video quality in the process. It's ironic, but true, that FUNimation would have been a much preferable option, given how drastically they've improved over the past year or so.

[QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Going back to the DVD thing, I'm most likely not going to buy Naruto. I want to buy it, but if it's released like other anime series, I don't think Naruto is worth 500+ dollars. Dragonball Z was released like that, and I've never heard of people actually owning the entire garbology. On the other hand, if Naruto is boxed by seasons (there are like, five seasons so far), then that's more than doable. Provided that the most per DVD is 30, instead of the usual 20.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
Assuming that Viz is in fact the company that's going to be releasing Naruto (as I mentioned before, I'm still vaguely confused about this, what with the merger and the whole "master licensor" business), you can probably expect them to release season box sets. It took two years for them to re-package the first season of Inuyasha in one cheap bundle, but with the series showing on TV during the interim, I imagine the wait for Naruto box sets wouldn't be too painful.

[QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Last, Naruto is going to have a kiddie fanbase. I just know it. Kids don't have money, and if it's going to be released with 100 DVDs, no mother in their right mind is going to buy it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
You'd be surprised, I suspect. Inuyasha's individual DVDs have sold [i]extremely[/i] well, and I'd be willing to bet that a lot of that is thanks to kids & preteens mooching off their parents.

[QUOTE][FONT=book antiqua][SIZE=2][COLOR=blue]Just a side-note: I should also point out how much Viz's translations suck. Senny is a refugee from the manga experience, so he can explain it best. I'm still confused how they managed to pull "Art of the Doppleganger" from "Shadow Clone."[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
What's bizarre is that some of their translations (particularly for "Shojo" and "Editor's Choice" manga) are exceptionally good. Shonen Jump series are what tend to get screwed over--which makes me fear for Hunter x Hunter, but ah well.

Unfortunately, it seems like Naruto, Shaman King, Hikaru no Go, etc. all ended up receiving the short end of the stick. Although I've seen a lot of people hone in on "Art of the Doppleganger" over the past few days, and that kind of surprises me; from what I've gathered, a couple of Viz's other jutsu translations are far more problematic (i.e. "Art of Valentine" or some such nonsense). At least the word doppleganger can reasonably be extrapolated from the original phrase, even if its use demonstrates a bit more.... creativity than one would normally expect from a professional translation.

~Dagger~

There may be a chance that Naruto will air on Anime Network. Naruto is a pretty violent show. There's some swearing and a fair amount of blood. Anime network keeps some violent shows on there itself, like...

1. Sayuki
2. SamuraiX
3.Get backers

What I'm saying is that most violent shows air on Anime network. Adult Swim does however contan some violent shows like Inyasha But, Naruto is pack with a mass amout of blood. Well, at least the comic does I'v only seen three episodes of the anime. The most likely place for Naruto to show up would be the Anime Network.

[QUOTE=Sea Of Chaos666]There may be a chance that Naruto will air on Anime Network. Naruto is a pretty violent show. There's some swearing and a fair amount of blood. Anime network keeps some violent shows on there itself, like...

1. Sayuki
2. SamuraiX
3.Get backers

What I'm saying is that most violent shows air on Anime network. Adult Swim does however contan some violent shows like Inyasha But, Naruto is pack with a mass amout of blood. Well, at least the comic does I'v only seen three episodes of the anime. The most likely place for Naruto to show up would be the Anime Network.[/QUOTE]
Remember, it's a Viz (plus Shopro..?) production, and the last time I checked they weren't participating in the Anime Network.

As for the companies dubbing Naruto, I'm rather indifferent. Shopro's history of licenses isn't a very good omen: Hamtaro, Megaman NT Warrior, and so on (Though Inuyasha had a couple redeeming qualities).. But that doesn't prove much. Inuyasha, while its voices are obscenely whiny, remained pretty faithful to the Japanese cut.

Azure mentioned how I'm a "refugee" from Viz's manga adaptation, which is true. I really had no problem with the "new" technique names at first, and the only time I realized how lame the titles were was when I found the original names through online manga translations. So many of the Viz ones are half-assed and completely off the mark, but I have this much to say:

Get over it.

The only reason I'll be disappointed to the point of anger with this is if they make it nice and happy for the young'ns. I'm praying that they'll keep the music intact. That didn't seem to be much of a problem with Inuyasha. If Viz and Shopro have an ounce of intelligence in their collective bodies, they'll realize why Inuyasha became such a powerhouse and do that with Naruto, while they improve on what made it so unpleasant.

[quote name='OtakuSennen']Remember, it's a Viz (plus Shopro..?) production, and the last time I checked they weren't participating in the Anime Network.[/quote]
*nods* And anyway, CN already sent out a press release stating that they had the rights to broadcast Naruto. So... yeah. I'd be kind of depressed if a show this huge ended up on the Anime Network--not that I have anything against ADV, but still.

[quote]As for the companies dubbing Naruto, I'm rather indifferent. Shopro's history of licenses isn't a very good omen: Hamtaro, Megaman NT Warrior, and so on (Though Inuyasha had a couple redeeming qualities).. But that doesn't prove much. Inuyasha, while its voices are obscenely whiny, remained pretty faithful to the Japanese cut.[/quote]
You're referring to the Ocean Group, right? Admittedly, a number of their dubs do kind of suck, but others are nothing short of excellent (i.e. Soul Taker and Infinite Ryvius). The problem is that it ends up feeling like something of a lottery. Gundam SEED's dub, for example, pretty much murdered my interest in the series... it had its good points, but after a while the mediocre/poor performances just came to outweigh the strong ones in my mind.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]
You're referring to the Ocean Group, right? Admittedly, a number of their dubs do kind of suck, but others are nothing short of excellent (i.e. Soul Taker and Infinite Ryvius). The problem is that it ends up feeling like something of a lottery. Gundam SEED's dub, for example, pretty much murdered my interest in the series... it had its good points, but after a while the mediocre/poor performances just came to outweigh the strong ones in my mind.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Sigh. Why do they always have to dub stuff before they put it on CN... I am watching the Japanese version right now, and I must say I love all the voice actors... besides, it might help our nation's youth's plummeting reading skills if they had to watch Naruto with subtitles...

Also, I REALLY hope they put Naruto on adult swim instead of Toonami. If they try to edit out the blood, the fights will look rediculously choppy and edited...

Ja mata,

James Bierly

Ah! So many essays!

>.<

I've decided to trust the ShoPro and Cartoon Network until they screw up.

*clenches fist* They'd better give Haku a damn sexy voice...

To those who watch Naruto Fansubs. Support the series, buy the DVDs! Watch the TVs! Eat the cheese!

>.<

*must get Japanese forehead protector before prices go up*

-ArV

Wow it's about time; this annoucement really shouldn't have come as a surprise to anyone even remotely keeping up with anime happenings around the world, and with Naruto's immense fan-base it was all the more likely that this was bound to happen sooner rather than later :P. That being said... :=/... While I stopped watching Naruto during the filler arc because the ugly flashbacks and repetitive events just got on my nerves there best be an un-cut subtitled DVD version of the series when it hits State-side otherwise someone's going to have a lot of hate mail from yours truly :rolleyes:. Now that I think about it... Due to Naruto's lenghti'm not quite sure if I am going to buy the Naruto DVDs =/... Oh well another anime bites the dust :rolleyes: I guess it's time to move on to bigger and better things.

*Just hopes that Naruto doesn't become overly kiddy so that he doesn't seem like a total loser when talking about it with friends :animestun*

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]*nods* And anyway, CN already sent out a press release stating that they had the rights to broadcast

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
wait will adult swim get it or Cn??? I am so glad i got the japanese cut. I dont care if i buy bootlegs, its better then watching this
Naruto: hi Jim
Sasuke:Hi Mac
NOOOOOOOOOO there going to give them english names! Back to what i was saying:
i am ever thing but happy. This will ruin Naruto. People will look at naruto in horror, kids in my school will talk about it. It will fall in the foot steps of one piece. Thay wil have it on cartoon network!!!??? Richard Cox will ruin, uh lets say kakashi like he did inu-yasha.

Only chance for happyness is to sing a song from naruto. OHYAOHYAOHYA

[QUOTE=Xx_Chaos_xX]wait will adult swim get it or Cn??? I am so glad i got the japanese cut. I dont care if i buy bootlegs, its better then watching this
Naruto: hi Jim
Sasuke:Hi Mac
NOOOOOOOOOO there going to give them english names! Back to what i was saying:
i am ever thing but happy. This will ruin Naruto. People will look at naruto in horror, kids in my school will talk about it. It will fall in the foot steps of one piece. Thay wil have it on cartoon network!!!??? Richard Cox will ruin, uh lets say kakashi like he did inu-yasha.

Only chance for happyness is to sing a song from naruto. OHYAOHYAOHYA[/QUOTE]
Whoa, Nelly. Relax, will ya?

First off, I do hope you realize that "CN" is an abbrevation for "Cartoon Network," and that Adult Swim is simply the name for one of Cartoon Network's late-night programming blocks.

Secondly, if you had read ShoPro's press release, you would no doubt have noticed that they used the characters' Japanese names (Naruto, Sasuke, Sakura, etc). So I don't think there's any reason to fear that Naruto will become "Nathan the Magical Ninja" or whatever.

Thirdly, it's sad that 4Kids mutilated One Piece, but 4Kids didn't license Naruto. So right now there's really no point in getting yourself all worked up over baseless comparisons. Viz isn't the greatest company out there, but I think they're up to the task of not totally "ruining" Naruto, and they've put out some excellent DVDs in the past. Making ridiculous Chicken Little-esque assertions about the American release and saying you'll buy bootlegs--without even giving the R1 version a chance!--doesn't do anything for your credibility. :animesigh

~Dagger~

In other words what dagger's post is a :lecture: Ok dude i get but still i am sick to my gut and i havnt started drinking( :alcohol: i am still to young but i feel like i drank over 100 beers from mugs:beer: to bottles :gulp: then we all know what happens :alcohol: =:sick: intill i faint :faint or blow up :blowup: ) This is how i felt when i heard the news, that they will shoot a beloved series in the heart and stab it while its down. Bandi should have got there hands on it, but i will take you word and watch the (crappy) english violume before i say anyway thing, but if its crap :bash:

Ease off on the smilies a bit; using that many kind of breaks up your post and makes it hard to figure out what you're saying.

Note: [i]I never said that you or anyone has to see the English version.[/i] All I said was that the names would not be changed... I mean, if you really do plan on buying the R1 DVDs, you'll be able to choose between watching it in English and watching it in Japanese.

Sure, Bandai would probably have been better. But the difference between Bandai and Viz is negligible compared to the difference between Viz (or any other decent company) and 4Kids.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]I mean, if you really do plan on buying the R1 DVDs, you'll be able to choose between watching it in English and watching it in Japanese.
[/QUOTE]
But it wouldnt be the same.Its like trying to slove a puzzle, and missing a piece. You all ready know what it is but you dont feel right, same with naruto. you miss the goodness of the Raw Dvd.Its like eatting out in a dinner, you pick something that looks good, and you eat it. Lets say that food was Rice&Eggs. The next day you wife wants to make rice. will you eat it without eggs or tell that woman to make some darn eggs.What I am trying is that when you try something better, and what to go down a grade, Nine out of ten times you will say no, so what do i say NO! Anyway reply to this post i just made, i enjoy are talks.

[quote name='Xx_Chaos_xX']But it wouldnt be the same.Its like trying to slove a puzzle, and missing a piece. You all ready know what it is but you dont feel right, same with naruto. you miss the goodness of the Raw Dvd.[/quote]
If you are used to watching Naruto raw and want to continue doing so, you can always turn the subtitles off. Even if it's not an option in the DVD's language menu, you can usually switch off subtitles using a button found on your player's remote control. At least I assume that's what you're talking about... :animeswea

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger IX1]If you are used to watching Naruto raw and want to continue doing so, you can always turn the subtitles off. Even if it's not an option in the DVD's language menu, you can usually switch off subtitles using a button found on your player's remote control. At least I assume that's what you're talking about... :animeswea

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]
I dont know japanese but what i mean is watching it subbed, it is better then watching it dubbed, but the R1 DVDs have them both. But i rather what the japanese dvd with subtitles then watch Viz R1 DVD.

[quote name='Xx_Chaos_xX']I dont know japanese but what i mean is watching it subbed, it is better then watching it dubbed, but the R1 DVDs have them both. But i rather what the japanese dvd with subtitles then watch Viz R1 DVD.[/quote]
The Japanese Naruto DVDs don't have English subtitles. They're also rather expensive--as in about $40 for 70 minutes of content. Even at three episodes per disc (and let's hope that doesn't happen), the R1 DVDs would be a much better value.

You're welcome to try and import the R2s, but it's best to be aware of what you're getting into...

~Dagger~