OtakuBoards

Naruto!

SasukeUchiha

Which ones cooler  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Which ones cooler

[b]Dark_Sasuke[/b], care to elaborate? Simply stating the specifics of what attracts you to Naruto adds so much more to the discussion than, well, just saying you like it.

A little more about the dub cast...

Astro Boy aside, I believe this is Maile Flanagan's anime debut, although she seems to have done other types of voice work. It's nice that they decided to go with a female for the young male lead; I wish that were done more often in English dubbing.

Yuri Lowenthal hasn't been in much, but he does appear in Kyo Kara Maoh and (so far at least) has done an absolutely excellent job, especially considering the range demanded by his role.

Dave Wittenberg has had major or supporting parts in Gad Guard, Here is Greenwood, Last Exile, Twelve Kingdoms, Brigadoon and X TV. He has a lot of vocal flexibility and uses it well to play all sorts of different characters.

I don't recognize the name of Kirk Thornton's character in Naruto, but he's currently rockin' the casbah as Samurai Champloo's Jin--opposite Steven Blum, whose countless roles include Darcia in Wolf's Rain and Spike in Cowboy Bebop.

I think Kate Higgens is a relative newcomer.

[b]sand dragon 19[/b], I'm not totally sure what you're trying to say about the DVDs, but just to reiterate: two versions will be released. The CN version (cut, probably dub-only) will start coming out first, in the form of singles. The unedited, bilingual version will start a few months after that, in the form of thirteen-episode box sets.

~Dagger~

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray]ALRIGHT! The unedited box sets are exactly what i have been waiting for. To me that was one of the best things about naruto coming out on Cartoon Network was. *bows* thank you so much [B]Dagger[/B] thats all i really wanted to know about anyways. I knew that they were going to start selling that portion of the DVD from my many naruto related websites. I just didnt know that there was going to be an unedited version of it or not thats all. Thanks a bunch for the info! I owe you one![/COLOR]

Hey.
Maile...naruto. Dang it to..I'm sorry, but I just don't like girls doing boy's voicing. Naruto is a boy. Therefore his voice should be the voice of a young boy. Not a girl. Not that there's anything horribly wrong with it. Ash from Pokemon sounded fine, I just dont like it, I think their voices should be boys. Just because they're pre-puberty doesn't mean they have to have girl voice actors. I mean, it just seems logical to me. Young Boy Character -> Young Boy Voice Actor. So not happy with Viz right now. I'm actually quite angry, very angry.

~R.E.

[quote name='Ryo the Tactician']I'm sorry, but I just don't like girls doing boy's voicing. Naruto is a boy. Therefore his voice should be the voice of a young boy. Not a girl.[/quote]Lots of females do male characters. Bart Simpson is superbly done by Nancy Cartwright. As you said Ash is done by a girl too. Stephanie Nadolny, I thought, was very cool as Gohan.

I'd have a good voice actor than a voice actor just because of the gender. It seems close minded to think that only males can play male roles while only females can only play female roles. Peter Pan is traditionally played by a female, and Shakespeare's Juliet was played by a male.

[quote name='Ryo the Tactician']I mean, it just seems logical to me. Young Boy Character -> Young Boy Voice Actor.[/quote]Some of the problems with having a young boy actor is that so few can have the training at that age. That doesn't mean young talent doesn't exist, on the contrary, but the skilled actors are harder to find than their adult counterparts.

Also, if there's a young boy, there's the risk that their voice will change! Did you notice that how much the Harry Potter actors changed?

[quote name='Sand Dragon 19']Maby thats why i have 5 headprotecters, an ANBU mask and a Suna Jounnin outfit also...?[/quote]LOL, but are they official?

-ArV

[QUOTE=Ryo the Tactician]Hey.
Maile...naruto. Dang it to..I'm sorry, but I just don't like girls doing boy's voicing.[/QUOTE]
Why? Not that English dubs always have to reflect Japanese casting, but you'll find that many (if not the majority) of young male roles in this type of show are played by female seiyuu. And, generally, said seiyuu do an excellent job. I personally am particularly fond of Ms. Junko Takeuchi, who convincingly voices Naruto* as well as Gon from Hunter x Hunter, Dieter from Monster and the protagonist of Marchen Awakens Romance (all of whom are young male characters).

*In fairness, though, I'm much more familiar with her other work (e.g. Gon), haha.

~Dagger~

[quote name='r2vq'] Also, if there's a young boy, there's the risk that their voice will change![/quote]

Exactly what I was going to say. Plus, I hear the way Naruto sounded recently on Cartoon Network in a ad for what's coming in the fall, and it didn't sound bad at all!

HA! HA, I SAY TO ALL WHO COMPLAINED HOW MUCH THE DUB WOULD SUCK!!! I always had hope, and read so much hopelessness for over a year, even before it was annouced to be coming here... :(

But, nevertheless, HA!!! :haha:

Plus, Steven Blum owns, as with Kirk Thornton.

And when I read Kirk, I instantly thought, "KHAAAAANNNN!" Heh heh... :D

And the lesson is: Always have hope. :nono:

Hmmmm.......Quite Interesting this thread appears to be.

It appears to me that Naruto is starting to become the most popular anime around.

Maybe even more popular than Inuyasha.

Than again there are always some rises and some falls in the anime/manga world.

Looks like this year it will be Naruto!

But at any rate if the polls were still open I would have chosen Sasuke.

Guest Dream_402
I think its going to be cool to see the show on cartoon network. To finly know waht the carecters are saying might just billed my intrest in naruto. :catgirl:

Guest FlipHKD
im trying to not judge it before i see it, but i don't have my hopes up. i think ill just stick with my naruto dvds if its to butchered :sweat:

Guest mewlink64
Yar. Here is a clip of the English dubbed Naruto.
[url]http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/toonami/index.html[/url]

[color=navy][size=1]Please keep in mind that not everyone reads post titles. When posting a link, it's expected that you'll describe the content within the body of your reply and (if necessary) tell us why it's relevant to the discussion. Fortunately, in this case the significance of what you posted was almost immediately apparent. But future link-only posts may be deleted as spam.

- Dagger[/size][/color]

[quote name='mewlink64][url']http://www.cartoonnetwork.com/tv_shows/video/toonami/index.html[/url][/quote]
DAMN I was about to post that same link.

LOL. What do the people who have seen this think? Myself, I don't like the acting for either Mizuki or Iruka... Don't hear much from Naruto though.

-ArV

[QUOTE=r2vq]DAMN I was about to post that same link.

LOL. What do the people who have seen this think? Myself, I don't like the acting for either Mizuki or Iruka... Don't hear much from Naruto though.

-ArV[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I watched the clip, and so far it doesn't sound that bad :animesigh The dubbing is done by Funimation, correct? If that's the case, then I still have hope for this series -- well, AS long as the original music has NOT been kiddy-fied, OR anything else for that matter.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Monkey_Orange][COLOR=DarkOrange']I watched the clip, and so far it doesn't sound that bad :animesigh The dubbing is done by Funimation, correct? If that's the case, then I still have hope for this series -- well, AS long as the original music has NOT been kiddy-fied, OR anything else for that matter.[/COLOR][/quote]
Nope, the license is held by Viz, so there aren't any Funi voice actors involved. I've seen some things that lead me to think they'll use the original music, but I guess no one will find out until Saturday, anyway.

~Dagger~

I checked out that link. From what they show, I think I'm satisfied with the voices (at least for Naruto and Iruka ;3). I honestly don't think Mizuki was too bad. He won't be around long anyway, so his voice doesn't really matter to me. From the little clips I heard of Naruto's voice, it seems pretty good to me.

Guess I'll just have to wait and watch to get a more solid opinion. ^^

Guest mewlink64
But hey, Iruka had blood on his knee so it might not be too censored. We'll just have to wait and see about his Sexy no jitsu...

Viz's new [url=http://www.viz.com/naruto/site_1024.html][u]Naruto[/u][/url] website is now online. Like many other official anime sites, the design is (alas) a little too flashy for my tastes, but it's not like I'm really their target audience anyway, haha. Have fun exploring.

~Dagger~

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Man, I seriously hope that the dub is good...

I have high hopes, though, not thinking to much about it. But then I wonder, are my hopes to high? :animedepr

But seriously. I say that it will be ok, and if not, I'll just buy the Uncut Dvds, which I'll probably do anyway, and I'll tape the episodes that I know my favortie scenes will take place...But if the dub sucks, I'll just easily tape right over it with the next good thing that comes on. :p

I can't wait for 9:00 pm, though... :( :animestun :animesigh

EDIT: Just read No. 275...I see what Kakashi was talking about with his "New Jutsu" I bet he [spoiler]figured out a way to change the shape of the Sharingan.[/spoiler] But how would he of learned to do that, and what does it do, I wonder?

I don't think it's a spoiler, but just in case, to save some of the admins time. ;) [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Dagger]Viz's new [url=http://www.viz.com/naruto/site_1024.html][u]Naruto[/u][/url'] website is now online. Like many other official anime sites, the design is (alas) a little too flashy for my tastes, but it's not like I'm really their target audience anyway, haha. Have fun exploring.[/quote]

LOL I keep getting beat to the punch!

^^ I like the website. I think it sells the show to its target audience well. And I really like the trailer. Too bad you can't watch it without listening to the website's background music...

I'm surprised how they called Kakashi their "sensei". And I'm glad to hear Sakura not being pronounced "Sakoora" like they did with CCS.

[quote name='Monkey_Orange']I watched the clip, and so far it doesn't sound that bad[/quote] I guess it was just the way Iruka pronounced the Japanese words. But it's cool to have them in there. "Jootsoo"

Edit: I took a look through 275... I wish I could understand. >.< Tatsu, can you understand or are you reading a script?

-ArV

I'm currently watching the premire on CN and I have to say they kinda screwed up on Narotu's voice. It sounds too young. and the empizie the Na in Naruto too much. They also edited out the nose bleeds and most of the blood. Other wise, I guess it's going alright. The music's really good too, so not all hope is lost.

[quote name='Elk']I'm currently watching the premire on CN and I have to say they kinda screwed up on Narotu's voice. It sounds too young. and the empizie the Na in Naruto too much.[/quote]
We can probably presume this is an attempt to pronounce it the Japanese way (with equal emphasis on all syllables). It's an admirable effort, as far as I'm concerned--much preferable to hearing something blatantly incorrect like "Na-ROO-to" (a la "Ka-GOH-me") repeated over and over.

~Dagger~

[size=1][color=indigo]I just watched Naruto tonight, and I must say I'm actually a bit relieved with the voice of Naruto. I was expecting a bit more of a high-pitched/annoying voice [like Shippo's >_>]. I missed the first episode, sadly, but I will watch it tomorrow night. I'm just happy I finally get to see the anime, even if it shot up a bit. [/size][/color]

Guest BerserkerGatts
I have also just now watched Naruto. I didn't really like his voice, but i'm probably just used to the japanese voice. I also kinda missed some of the blood. But i am also glad that i was able to see it, and i will continue to watch the show.