OtakuBoards

5 Most under rated and over rated bands or artists

ChibiHorsewoman

[QUOTE=Dielover]Over rated : Slipknot ( please don't kill me)
under rated: Dir en grey[/QUOTE]
[COLOR=DarkRed]We won't kill you for saying Slipknot is overrated... just gouge your eyes out. JK :animesmil

I can see your point how they are kinda, sorta overrated, but they still rock!!!![/COLOR]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yay!! I live! Anyway, another over rated band is ICP. In my school only my friend liked them and all of the sudden, after their shirts appeared in Hot Topic, everyone was like "ICP rulez!" :animesigh They rock but everyone in the world are like posers

[size=1]I only have one artist who I feel is underrated: Robbie Williams. He has so many great songs, has released tons of albums, and his music can appeal to so many people, but you hardly ever hear about him. If you don't know and love at least Robbie Williams song, go and hang yourself, save the gene-pool, lol. He is an amazing artist, and I think he is genuinely underrated by the vast majority of people. But, thats just the impression I get.[/size]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']I only have one artist who I feel is unde : Robbie Williams. He has so many great songs, has released tons of albums, and his music can appeal to so many people, but you hardly ever hear about him. If you don't know and love at least Robbie Williams song, go and hang yourself, save the gene-pool, lol. He is an amazing artist, and I think he is genuinely unde by the vast majority of people. But, thats just the impression I get.[/size][/quote]

That guy was [i]all over the place[/i] just a few years ago lol. His music doesn't appeal to me personally, but most people I know of that are my age know of him in some respect. That's not to say he's not unde , he just seems like he is rather well known.

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']I only have one artist who I feel is underrated: Robbie Williams. He has so many great songs, has released tons of albums, and his music can appeal to so many people, but you hardly ever hear about him. If you don't know and love at least Robbie Williams song, go and hang yourself, save the gene-pool, lol. He is an amazing artist, and I think he is genuinely underrated by the vast majority of people. But, thats just the impression I get.[/size][/quote]

[color=#B0251E]I always thought he was totally overrated, at least in Australia. Do you know how often his stuff used to get played on radio down here in Victoria? It was everywhere so often that it was easy for one to forget that there are other artists out there. lol

But having said that, I wouldn't really regard him as a "traditional" pop star, at least if you were to compare him to boy bands or something. He seems to have a bit more variety and he seems to be a bit more of a showman in general.

Mostly I'm not a fan of his music, but I wouldn't say that I really have anything against him or find anything from him to be especially objectionable.[/color]

[size=1]I can see what you both mean in terms of the doubtful nature of how underrated he may be. It has always felt to me that although he is widely known and stuff like that, his music is underrated or something, lol. I don't know exactly why I have that impression, it just...is. Maybe it's a personal thing, who knows, heh. When it comes to writing down my 10 Favourite Bands, or something along those lines, or when I think of what I want to listen to, although I enjoy his music, I never seem to think of it. If anything, that is what I mean by underrated. As I said though, maybe it's just me :p[/size]

[COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]he 14 Year Old Girls are undrerated. Dont' let the name fool you. Listen to the lyrics and u will c the greatness of their band. Exception:Whoa Nintendo.

Most overated bands: 1. Linkin Park 2. Any other butt-rock (Metallica, ACDC, Radiohead, ozzy :sleep: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[b][u]Overrated:[/u][/b]

[b]Nirvana[/b]: It's kinda weird for me to name this band since it's my favourite but I really have to admit that they're really overrated. People who've never even heard the music keep telling everyone that they love the band and all kinds of crap when the only song they've ever heard Smells Like Teen Spirit. They might've died out (pu not intended) if Kurt hadn't killed himself and then they wouldn't be so overrated but because he did die everyone seems really keen to think "OMGNIRVANAHEARTSTARTHEYARETEHSHIET". Because this happened at the peak of their popularity, people remember tend to remember them as a great band... This is the end of my bashing of my favourite band. Hahaha.

[b]Metallica[/b]: I've heard their music and I just really don't think they're all [i]that[/i] great. >>

[b]Ozzy[/b]: People make him sound so great but truthfully I don't find his music so appealing. I do like some of his music though... Just seems overrated.

[b]Simple Plan[/b]: All their music sounds alike to me. O.o

[b]Hilary Duff[/b]: Same with her. xD

And actually, a ton of the old rock bands are overrated. The popular ones really are...

[b][u]Underrated:[/u][/b]

[b]Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers[/b]: I love their music. I don't know why many people don't really care for them that I know. They're just really catchy, and I like their music because it's rock without all the loud guitars and screaming and stuff. It's Pop/Rock but Rock nonetheless. xD

[b]The Odds[/b]: "Someone Who's Cool" has got to be one of the catchiest songs I ever heard. Wish more people knew recognized them. >>

And I have to leave to go the movies now so I can't add more. I'll edit if I think of more later. xD

[COLOR=DarkGreen][U]OVERRATED[/U]
Yes i totally agree that nirvana is overated and i hate those people who say they love the music and dont even know whats its really about. the same kind of thing is happening to the ramones. i see that one shirt ALL the time and its starting to bug me.
(i really hope that people wearing ramones as well as CBGB stuff know what it was all about). and of course all of that mainstream punk and pop is overated.

[U]UNDERATED[/U]
Jonhn 5!!!!!!! omg he is soooo amazing! spread the word, he is just one of the greatest guitarists out there right now. download Feisty Cadavers and see what im talking about, u will love him too!
idk if hes really underated or just unpopular but Elliott Smith would be one. same goes for Jeff buckley and Nick drake.
oh and one final band...NIN...i know a lot of people in the music community like them, but it jusst REALLY annoys the **** out of me when stupid people are like "OMGILIKEMARILYNMANSONHESTHEGREATESTTHINGEVER!!!!!!!!!!" and when you ask them about trent reznor or NIN they dont have a clue what it is...GAHURGAHUTER!
(random mumbling/yelling)[/COLOR]

[color=crimson]Overrated-

1. Slipknot/KoRn/Mushroom Head/Things similar to that: They barely achieve mediocrity as sounds/bands/entities/circus performers. Most of their fans are rabid monkeys too. Hell, I'll probably get feces flung at me for saying this. *puts on a poncho*

2. Muse- They had a following around the Otaku community that made them sound like demi-gods. They are pretty good, but nothing revolutionary or new by any means. Not bad but not as godly as some wish.

3. Good Charlotte and New Found Glory [Or bands that sound similar]- I want to give them crap because they sound like crap. I dislike crap flowing at me out of speakers. It's very uncomfortable and isn't hygienic.

4. Using "logic" [*gestures with his fingers*] in this thread [or anywhere]. Jeez, Tony. Way to kill the mood. :animesigh

5. People's opinions on this subject [including mine]. You listen to what you like and that implies that others might not like it- but *you* do. That's what matters, right? ... Right?

Underrated

1. Little Richard- Whoever has heard of this guy [/still listens to him like me] and likes him gets a cookie. Oldies at their best.

2. Interpol- I enjoy all of their songs for some weird reason. I find them to be quite refreshing.

3. Clutch- Pure rock fury. As long as these guys have been around they don't seem to be that "popular" [to my knowledge]. Their lyrics are gibberish sometimes but that's better than anything emo/pop/punk.

4. Pig Destroyer- I mainly said this for my own personal amusement. Call them an "assault on your ears". But, it's a good assault.

5. Silence- The sound of absolutely nothing going on. *pauses and listens* Ahh..[/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]

[B][U][size=2]Overrated:[/B][/U][/size]

[B]Fabulous:[/B] plain and simple, the guy has a dry flow and tacky rhymes. He is ruining way to many good R&B songs with his stail rapping and I really don't like how he claims to be a real talkin' MC, when most of his songs (save 'Breath') are just party tunes without a message and he repeatedly talks about his cars, girls, jewels, and non-apparent 'skills'.

[B]Hatebreed/Slipknot/etc.:[/B] yeah, lets all just scream and growl into a microphone and call it Metal... (sorry metalheads out there, I just don't get it.) What happened to Ozzy and Sabbath and Motorhead?!

[B]Jessie McCartny:[/B] the guy looks to be shy one human soul...

[B]Good Charlotte/Simple Plan:[/B] if those guys use the word 'Punk' one more time in describing their musical style, I beleive I will begin tearing the hair from my scalp.

[B]T.I.:[/B] he really needs to find his place. He acts a bit to arrogant for my tastes and acts to above everyone else to even give props to those that let him through like Ludacris and Lil' Flip, whom he started beef with. I just don't like the guy... and sampling a Jay-Z song that came out last year for his own single shows his lack of originality.

[B][U][size=2]Underrated:[/B][/U][/size]

[B]Mos Def:[/B] this guy has talent. When I heard 'Ghetto Rock', I thought rap fans would eat it up. That was just a really, really great single, and it should have been bigger than it was. I really hope the guy gets the respect he deserves real soon.

[B]The Darkness:[/B] I really liked these guys. I wish their songs had been bigger, there sounded really reminded me of Queen, who I love, and I thought their vintage style of glam rock would've been bigger. Oh well...

[B]Mobb Deep:[/B] the guys have been around for a while and are still young. I love their songs and their whole sound. I wish they had more singles. I remember loving 'Shook Ones', that was a real great song. 'Twisted' was a real good single too, and should have been bigger, if only people had listened to the lyrics a little more...

[B]Wu Tang Clan:[/B] they were big for a while, but they kinda sold out when they split up. And loosing O.D.B. was a big hit, but I hope they get back together real soon and make another album, cuz they were great.

[B]The Invisbl Skratch Piklz:[/B] DJ music doesn't get alot of love now a-days, but these guys are considerably the greatest turntablist of all time, and yet nobody but hardcore hip hop fans and a few video gamers know about them. These guys are excellent. Note: the current Beastie Boys DJ, MixMasterMike, was/is a member.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE]
Originally Posted by [b]triforcelad[/b]
[i]Most overated bands: 1. Linkin Park 2. Any other butt-rock (Metallica, ACDC, Radiohead, ozzy:sleep:[/i][/QUOTE]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]Ah ha ha ha, you did NOT just call Radiohead BUTT-ROCK. Surely such a completely bone-headed misinterpretation of a band's genre couldn't possibly be made, but no. I look up at that quote and it just hangs there, mocking me.

RADIOHEAD!? [B][U]BUTT-ROCK!?[/U][/B] Radiohead's sound is nowhere even CLOSE to Metallica's, ACDC's, or Ozzy's! Good lord, man!

*Ahem* Well here's my list:

[b][u]Overrated:[/b][/u]

1. As has been said many times before, any of the pop-punk bands out right now, such as Blink-182, Sum 41... Hey, maybe all you need to be a pop-punk band is a random one-syllable word followed by an equally random number!

2. All gangsta rap. Give it up, you guys. We know you're tough. Stop annoying us with your crap.

3. Country music, with the exception of bluegrass, because bluegrass isn't ignorant, jingoistic, drunken yodeling with an acoustic guitar.

4. Pop. It is a genre without a message. Or, rather, the message is :animestun "CONSUME MINDLESSLY. FLAUNT YOUR BODY. YOU ARE ALL OUR PLAY-THINGS. CONSUME. CONSUME. CONNNNSSSUUUUUMMME...." :animestun

[b][u]Underrated:[/b][/u]

1. Sonata Arctica. Symphonic metal at just about its most awesome. Check 'em out if you like power metal mixed with driving synths and opera-style vocals.

2. Kamelot. More symphonic metal goodness. Their previous album, Epica, had a [u]plot[/u], and their newest album, The Black Halo, made me very happy because it continues that plot.

3. Rhapsody. Yet more symphonic metal. Sensing a bit of a trend here? Another band who's lyrics have plot. Plus their guitarist, Luca Turili, does some crazy arpeggio thing that's crazy-hard to pull off or something. I don't play guitar, so I wouldn't know.

4. Radiohead. They have a wonderful knack for creating the most haunting melodies you've ever heard. Check out "Idioteque" and you'll know exactly what I mean.

5. Finntroll. Three words: Symphonic. Death-metal. Polka. Word to your mother.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[U]Underated[/U]
[B]Anthrax[/B] - They are a heavy metal band from the early 80's and have survived to present day. They are quite capable of coming out with new albums every couple of years and they keep each of their songs true to the genre. They write their own music and are just amazing musicians. They aren't greedy for money and have said "We thought about sueing people for downloading our music, then realized that they are as broke as us!"

[B]Motorhead[/B] - This band has been around for over 30 frickin' years. Lemmy, the bass guitarist and singer sounds like he has been smoking since he was 8 and is, himself, past 60 years old. They even had an album out last year.

[B]Public Enemy[/B] - The only rap group you'll hear me talk good about. They... are just hilarious in the way they talk about the country

[U]Overated[/U]

Linkin Park - They were good when they came out, but when they started to have more rap than rock they went downhill.

Metallica - Greedy egotistical bastards that don't deserve the fame they have.

Rap music - Why the hell would you write a song about rims, bitches and hoes, and how you popped a cap in someone's ***?

Country music - It's emo music with a twang. It is the twang that gets me.

And that, as they say, is that.

[QUOTE=DeathKnight][color=crimson]
4. Pig Destroyer- I mainly said this for my own personal amusement. Call them an "assault on your ears". But, it's a good assault.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=gray][size=1]*looks up some of their music* *listens* *faints*

[QUOTE=Dmitri_Dragoon]
[B]Motorhead[/B] - This band has been around for over 30 frickin' years. Lemmy, the bass guitarist and singer sounds like he has been smoking since he was 8 and is, himself, past 60 years old. They even had an album out last year.[/QUOTE]

Okay, now where?s the part where you explain why they?re underrated? o_O

Anyway, like Baron Samedi I like Robbie William?s music. In a way I can think of a reason why he can be considered under rated, but that would be something personal.
Why people call Evanescence over rated I do not understand. Like stated before; they are here for like 2 years and released 2 albums in which the second was a concert in Paris? Hearing what you people say I?d sooner think they?re underrated than overrated. (I'm not gothic -.-)
Why Metallica is overrated I don?t get either. Their music is O.K. It doesn?t contain grunting in each line and they played at Freddy Mercury tribute lol. Like I said, I don?t [I]love[/I] their music, but it isn?t bad nor overrated.

I just have one group to put up with [I]Overrated[/I] though. This would be [b]Abba[/b]. Curse the day they showed up and began hopping around like happy singing hippies -_-
[/color][/size]

[FONT=Garamond][color=purple]You know what I find most amusing about this thread, half the people have stated bands are over rated because they are popular. Being popular doesn't make them over rated its the fact that they suck, but get money for some image thats over rated. And just becuase a band goes from one fan to 382947398 fans doesn't mean its over rated either...

Well anyways for a lot of the bands look at Transtic Nerve's list he pretty much nailed most of 'em for me, but oh well I'm still gonna put some more on here...

[center][b]Underrated[/b][/center]

1) [i]The Killers[/i]- Like it has already been said this band is so original. Its amazing the variet of topics they deal with and still keep that up-beat optimistic sound to their music. Frankly they are one of my favorite bands, they are just fun.

2) [i]Kill Hannah[/i]- I don't know about where eveyrone else lives, but Kill Hannah is virtually unheard of here. The radio played one of their songs [i]"Kennedy"[/i] but really that was only one of their great songs. Their whole CD is pretty much full of good songs. I can rarely sit down and enjoy every song on a CD but this band is an exception.

3) [i]Kittie[/i]- Gonna have to agree with ChibiHorseWomen on this one...almost completely underground but really talented. One of the only all girl bands that just totally kicks butt in my mind. They are so much fun to listen to.

4) [i]Marilyn Manson[/i]- Like people have already said this band is more than what they appear to be. There is no doubt these guys have an insane talent for music, and its true that their songs can appeal to just about anyone. Hell my best friends mom (who is totally against rock) absolutely loves Marilyn Manson's renditions of "Sweet Dreams" and "Tainted Love"

5) [i]A Birthday Massacre[/i]- Such an interesting band. Born and bread in Canada their music has only reached a handful of people down here in Kansas, but people have got to admit they have a lot of talent. They remind me of a softcore version of MIndless Self Indulgence with better vocals and perhaps a much more relaxing sound. If you haven't you should check these guys out!

6) [i]Usher[/i]- He can dance; he can sing; he's hot. He's really the whole package when it comes to the entertainment industry. Only R&B artist that I will listen to.

I'll throw the Dresdon Dolls in here too...great sound

[center][b]Overrated[/center][/b]

1) [i]Rap[/i]- You know if I wanted to learn about bitches, hoes, drugs, and shootings I'd just turn on the news. Enough is enough show me something new, give me a decent beat or two, and throw in some meaning. (Does not pertain to [b]all[/b] rap but just about 90% of it.

2) [i]Linkin Park[/i]- I have to admit I'm a decent fan of theirs but its sad when a band can come out with 2 CD's full of..remixes and still make a living..Unless they come out with something new that sounds different they've proven they could only go so far and really don't deserve the fame they recieve. Their concept was a great twist at the time, but it just fell apart at the end with the utmost repetiveness.

3) [i]Ozzy[/i]- He's not really over rated in the sense of his music, but give me a break...a show...about him and his idiotic family. Seriously every other word has to be censored. Its really quite pathetic...and the fact that he released a new song...I'm sorry Ozzy your days are done...At one time he had some great talent...but ..thats over.

[/FONT][/color]

I will start with this:
WARNING: In this post, I am going to be an opinionated asshole.
WARNING: Educated, intelligent views on music that I actually [i]know[/i] something about ahead. Proceed with caution.

Whoever the **** decided it was O.K. to not only catagorize Metallica, Ozzy, AC/DC, and [i]Radiohead[/i] in the same group, but call them [i]buttrock[/i] needs to become a little more educated about music! You probably don't even know what buttrock is (it's an actual genre, you know). AND HAVE YOU EVER ACTUALLY [i]LISTENED[/i] TO RADIOHEAD BEFORE? I don't even [i]like[/i] Radiohead and that pissed me off!

Second of all, a band can't be overrated if EVERYONE hates them (aghem, Slipknot or Evanescence). Guys, everyone hates them, therefore they aren't overrated. I, for one, like both of those bands, although I can't say they're favorites of mine (and the person who decided they were going to go as far as to say that Slipknot's lyrics are all about death and killing - shut the **** up until you actually take the time to read them before you make yourself look like an idiot by judging a band from a genre you know absolutely nothing about based on your own pure, unbridled ignorance). There, that feels much better.

[u][b]OVERRATED:[/b][/u]

[b]GREEN DAY[/b] - Let's get this straight [i]now[/i]: GREEN DAY = NOT PUNK. Greenday is POP-PUNK. P-O-P PUNK. Got it? Good. Now on to why they suck: Bland songwriting, blander lyrics. Sure, their first album or two were interesting and innovative, but the whole 3-chord song thing gets a little old. And if I hear American Idiot one more time, I will kill someone.

[b]FRANZ FERDINAND[/b] - While their music is definately original and fresh, it only stays original and fresh through about the first three songs on their debut. It's highly repetitive and starts to annoy fast. Their constant rotation on television is wearing at me (I only watch television when I'm truly bored, mind you).

[b]MOTORHEAD[/b] - Again, they were original and fresh when they started out, but hey, just because you're classic doesn't mean you're awesome.

[b]SLAYER[/b] - Another band that I have to thank because if it weren't for them, many of my favorite bands wouldn't exist. However, Tom Araya's vocals are the most annoying thing since that one kid who said that Metallica, AC/DC, Ozzy Osbourne, and Radiohead were all buttrock.

[b]BREAKING BENJAMIN[/b] - THEY DON'T EVEN WRITE THEIR OWN DAMN SONGS! Billy Corgan of the Smashing Pumpkins cowrote (and half the time, just plain wrote) all the songs on Breaking Benjamin's latest album. Saturate, their first album, was a hell of a lot better, but still reeked of hackneyed riffs and cliche lyrics.

[b]ANY AND ALL BLACK METAL BANDS (besides Dimmu Borgir and Naglfar)[/b] - Because tthey're a bunch of pompous pricks who take pride in ****** sound production and shittier playing. Not to mention that, but if at least one member of your little black metal outfit hasn't killed at least one person in the name of Satan, your band automatically sucks - which is one of the most rediculous things I've ever heard. And for all you ignorant idiots out there who are reading this saying "Omigawd, he's a racist!", please realize that a) you're a moron, and b) it doesn't mean black [i]people[/i].

[b]UNDEROATH[/b] - Their new album... just... just... AWFUL. Their old stuff was alright, but even then it kind of sucked. There's just nothing special here!

[b]THE ALKALINE TRIO[/b] - One word - hackneyed. Well, I guess if you wanted to, you could add "to death" to the end of that.

[b]ANY AND ALL POP-PUNK BANDS[/b] - Why this is so popular, I do not know. Since when was mediocrity, repetition, blandness, talentlessness, and the overuse of horribly blatant cliches the ideal form of entertainment in the modern world? I hate to generalize a genre, but they're all so pre-packaged! They all sound the same! I guess it makes it easier for the average pop-punker to find more bands - every single one of them sounds like your favorite band! Yay! Now you don't have to use your brain! What? You don't know what a brain is? Oh, nevermind.

I'm not even going to bother with rap, because we're talking about bands here. I don't disregard rap as music, I'm just sticking to the whole band thing.

[u][b]UNDERRATED:[/b][/u]

[b]POP PUNKERS BEWARE: The following bands may actually consist of talented, intelligent [i]musicians[/i]. If this worries you (which it probably will), just look away and stick in your Green Day C.D. It'll all be O.K.[/b]

[b]CHILDREN OF BODOM[/b] - Alexi is THE guitar god. End of story. My GOD, that guy can play! And Janne on those keyboards? Metal doesn't get much better than this! It's so melodic and awesome! Yes! "Trashed, Lost and Strung Out" has the COOLEST MELODY EVER in it, what with the dual keyboard-guitar run and all. Follow the Reaper is one of the best albums ever recorded in the history of best albums ever recorded. Go buy it now and be happy.

[b]TOOL[/b] - Just read the lyrics to the album Lateralus. They make music that truly makes you think. Tool is often referred to as the "thinking man's metal". The music itself has this incredibly crafted atmosphere that's dark and cerebral, but makes you feel warm, comfortable, and capable of expanding your mind and conciousness to levels previously believed to be impossible. Maynard's vocals are soothing yet psychotic. Everything about this band is amazing! Danny's drum beats are syncopated enough to drive even a die-hard Jhonen Vasquez fan insane, and Justin's bass lines are simply out of this world. Top it all off with Adam's innovative guitar playing and you've got yourself one of the most amazing sonic experiences of your lifetime.

[b]IN FLAMES[/b] - Just because the vocalist screams doesn't mean they should be written off, damnit! The guitarists write tight, technical, melodic riffs that simply soar over the songs. The solos are beautifully composed, and the lyrics are meaningful and deep.

[b]NIGHTWISH[/b] - Okay, Nightwish is officialy the most epic band of all time. Melodic power metal accompanied by an orchestra = epicness. Go listen to the song "Ghost Love Score" off the album [i]Once[/i] if you want to know what I'm talking about. And I don't care what anyone says, it's totally not cheesy.

[b]EXHUMED, CANNIBAL CORPSE, NECROPHAGIST, ETC.[/b] - I'm so ******* tired of everybody assuming they hate death metal without actually [i]listening[/i] to it first. There's this huge misconception of what death metal is in the first place. It's NOT just pounding and yelling! Get it through your heads! Death metal is the most technical style of music out there - ask any guitarist who's ever tried playing "Bent Backwards and Broken" by Cannibal Corpse or "Stabwound" by Necrophagist! This music is amazing! The intricacy and coordination of these songs is incredible.

[b]GORILLAZ[/b] - Because they're awesome.

[b]AS I LAY DYING[/b] - Just because they wear tight jeans doesn't mean they can't play awesome melodic death metal! AND THEY AREN'T A HARDCORE BAND! They said it themselves! ARGH! Anyway, the first breakdown in "94 Hours" has got to be one of the COOLEST THINGS EVER. And "Collision" is a beautiful song all around.

[b]THE METAL GENRE IN GENERAL[/b] - I don't think I've seen as many ignorant, stupid, moronic comments about metal as I have on this forum since last time I tried discussing the genre with my mom, who hates [i]all[/i] music in the first place. I can name at least a hundred (probably two hundred) metal bands who DON'T EVEN SCREAM OR GROWL ONCE. EVER. It's not just beating and screaming! I could list all the metal bands that don't scream, but I need to get some sleep. Not only that, but many musicians in metal have more talent and songwriting skill than anyone in many other genres. Metal has Alexi Laiho, Jesper Stromblad, Roope Latvala, Bjorn Gelotte, Zakk Wylde, Steve Vai, Randy Rhodes (RIP), Luca Turilli, and Toni Iommi in the ranks of guitar players. I would go into the other instruments, but I truly don't know enough about who plays what in those areas to say anything. I'm sorry, but when comparing Billie Joe (Green Day) to Alexi Laiho (Children of Bodom), or Ben Burnley (Breaking Benjamin) to Jesper Stromblad (In Flames), the former of both examples don't just pale in comparison, they completely die. Anyway, before you decide to comment about anything, at least know [i]something[/i] about it first!

[COLOR=Navy]In general, I think that all of the recent Hip Hop/POP music, excluding early 90's, are totally overrated. There were just songs back then were pretty good...like TLC, and Waiting For Tonight by J-Lo were pretty good. Now everything is really annoying. It's EVERYWHERE. Plus, that's pretty much all that my school plays at their dances.

Rap is also overrated. Sure, a lot of them write their own lyrics, and with raps, that takes a lot of work. Still, I think that the artist treating women like animals in their videos are overrated and getting really old.

Linkin Park- I love their older music (Hybrid Theory CD and prior). They are still overrated, I think. They are played obsessively on the radio. Even more so now when they joined up with Jay Z for those couple of albums. Rap doesn't belong in rock.

Godsmack is very overrated. Every time I hear them getting played, which is very often, I get a headache.

Bands and genres that I believe are underrated are: Breaking Benjamin, Symphony X, Rammstein, techno/dance/rave genres.

You don't see much hype about Breaking Benjamin. I like their first album very much, and that Blow Me Away song on the Halo 2 soundtrack is simply superb.

Symphony X. Each time I listen to these guys, my love for the metal rock genre grows. I love a lot of their songs. They are all beautiful, and I love their music a lot.

Rammstein is another underrated band. Not a lot of people know about them in America....(I only know a couple people in my school that know about them) Their music is simply one of a kind. Plus, the lead singer, Till Linderman, has a very deep deep voice, which is something you normally don't find in most singers. Compared to a lot of bands when they perform in concerts, (From what I've seen anyways) no concerts are as extravagant as theirs. Each concert is compiled with various pyromaniac stunts like Till Linderman wearing a coat that is aflame to the microphone stands aflame. Really awesome!

The techno/dance/rave genres are also underrated. They are mostly popular only in Europe, while most hip hop and pop music is popular in the US. These genres are really awesome. Some of the beats are totally bizarre but really cool. The ideal dance club music. Some of the artists are in these genres are DJ Sammy with his song, Heaven, Ian Van Dahl, and Dune. These genres are a lot of fun and a lot different compared to any other kind of music. [/COLOR]

I don't really understand this distaste for rap and hip-hop that is prevalent in these threads. It's the same as with any type of music. As someone who doesn't like rap, the things you've heard are likely only the most media-centered and popular. With any music, the biggest stuff isn't always the most impressive. I think it's incredibly unfair to judge an entire genre based on the fact that 50 Cent gets played constantly on MTV. There's more to the genre than that and, personally, anyone I know that's really into the stuff can't even stand that guy or half the artists mentioned thus far as examples.

[COLOR=DarkGreen]Wow, this thread has really gone down in the crapper...
It seems to have become a place where people can think they sound cool by putting a certain band in a ceratin category.

I see some bands that arent were they're supposed to be at all (I'm pretty sure I saw Led Zeppelin and Usher in the underrated, that makes no sense at all). I mean, some people are naming whole GENRES as overrated. That is the stupidest thing since that guy who put radiohead in with metallica and ozzy! You can't put a whole genre into anything! Like some rappers(oh, and I dont like rap by the way), have meaningfull lyrics and if any of you dumb***es who say "oh rap is crap cuz the only stuff ive heard is on MTV and thats what its all like" think you can generalize like that than you dont know anything. Same goes for pop-punk (there are some good ones out there, and Im not even sure if some of the stuff some people are calling pop-punk can have the word punk in it, it should be just pop, but Ill just let it be called pop-punk for now).

Every genre there is has something that is popular and all the 'cool' people hate it...and whether their talented or not they are going to get bashed for being popular, which is kind of sad.

Here's something to think about: EVERYTHING(er...most) on MTV is overrated.

As for the underrated stuff, I liked that part, even though it should be called unpopular or unheard of or something like that. underated: people normally rate them badly but they are actualy talented.

Oh, to the person who was bashing pop-punk: Punk itself didn't have much talent in the first place. Musically that is. And if you were talking about the song (American Idiot) and not the album then take a listen to the album, i actualy liked it. And Im on the same boat you are then with the song, I think Green Day is getting overplayed WAY to much...

aaaaaandddd........end rant now![/COLOR]

Ah, touche! I guess you're right, putting entire genres under overrated is probably a little overboard. Hey, I was ranting at 3:00 A.M.! What do you expect? And yes, punk really isn't musically challenging to begin with (it actually started as an offshoot of metal, but the bands wanted stuff that was simpler to play so they could goof around more onstage). The think with pop-punk is that it [I]is[/I] just pop music. The only difference is that they play instruments, which you must give them credit for (hence the "punk" denotation).

On the Green Day note, yes I've had to sit through the album, and I'm sorry, but it truly annoys me. Then again, this is coming an avid guitar player who's favorite bands are Children of Bodom and In Flames, where mind-boggling instrument skill and musical ability is the focus - so naturally, I wouldn't like a band like Green Day. Hey, they're all just opinions anyway! Like I said at the beginning of my post, I was being an opinionated a**hole.

And about rap (I don't like rap, by the way), there's definately good stuff out there! There's some local rappers (in Salt Lake City, Utah of all places) that are awesome! I didn't include rap in my post because a) it was asking about bands, and b) I don't know enough about rap to make an educated comment on it.

And I'd NEVER bash a band just for being popular. For example, I don't mind a little Chevelle, I love Slipknot, and Alicia Keys is pretty awesome (hey, what can I say, she writes good songs!). They're all popular, and I think they're just dandy! The reason so many popular bands get bashed by music lovers is because a large proportion of music that makes it big time is popular because the majority of the public likes music they can dance to, sing along with, and play on their guitar (or whatever). Thus musical talent and sophistication takes the backseat, which tends to aggrivate those of us who appreciate such qualities.

[QUOTE=Jake of Bodom]

On the Green Day note, yes I've had to sit through the album, and I'm sorry, but it truly annoys me. Then again, this is coming an avid guitar player who's favorite bands are Children of Bodom and In Flames, where mind-boggling instrument skill and musical ability is the focus - so naturally, I wouldn't like a band like Green Day. Hey, they're all just opinions anyway! Like I said at the beginning of my post, I was being an opinionated a**hole.

[/QUOTE]

Good to see someone else that knows of Children of Bodom. I just started listening to them recently, but I'm suprised that they aren't more well known. My friend who turned me on to them saw them open for a couple of Metal acts and people really hated them. Yet they liked Fear Factory? That qualifys as underrated I suppose.

Ugh, I mentioned Bodom in my post (#12), but that was quite a few back

Yeah, I noticed that (it made me happy). I wouldn't exactly call Janne's keyboard playing "Doors-esque", although I can see where it might sometimes sound like that. But it's awesome that you know them - they're awesome. If you just started listening to them, check out "Kissing the Shadows" and "Trashed, Lost and Strung Out". They're my favorite songs by them.

Guest Acidpuppy
Overratted: Greenday, Nirvina, Metallica, My Chemical Romance and Brittney Spears.

Underrated: TM Revloution, Pshyco Le Cemu, X-Japan and Brain Haker. I could name more but I don't have 7 hours.

[quote name='Jake of Bodom']And yes, punk really isn't musically challenging to begin with (it actually started as an offshoot of metal, but the bands wanted stuff that was simpler to play so they could goof around more onstage).[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]This may be true for a few punk bands, but generally that really isn't how punk got started. The main source of ideals and music for punk came from bands like [B]The Who[/B], and [B]The Stooges[/B], which are both bands i most certainly would not classify as metal. And the reason that people wanted to form a punk band (either the ideals or the simplicity of the playing, but usually a combination of both) was simply because they were ordinary people who wanted to have a band, but actually couldn't play very good. Case in point, [B]The Ramones[/B]. Goofing off on stage was just something else that they did, but not the purpose.

Some people should also keep in mind that overrated doesn't mean bad. Earlier in this list, i listed a few bands as overrated that i still love, similar to what Bodom said. Slipknot (for example) is overrated, but they still rock.[/COLOR]