OtakuBoards

Gamestop and EB games Merging

Chibi Jarrod

[color=blue][size=1]Wow.. I wonder why the two of them are merging. I know it says in the article that they were both happy to join forces, and gives a few reasons from both CEOs, but still. They don't go into much detail. I guess they just want to make more money.

I wonder if one of the two was starting to become less popular, maybe?

Another thing.. Why is the GameStop name being carried over, but not the Electronics Boutique name? I, personally, preferred "EB". Oh well. Doesn't matter that much.[/size][/color]

I think it was described more as Gamestop was buying EB games.

Its probably not a good thing per se for us. I don't imagine a drastic change, but less competition ususally lends itself to higher prices. I could only see that affecting used games though. They are pretty much mall franchises too, so if any malls have both of them (I know of one) some people are likely to lose jobs.

[color=#4B0082]Interesting. ... Though I wonder if this is actually going to have much effect on the consumers. I doubt they could get away with higher prices, seeing as GameStop and EB Games aren't the only places you can get games. Besides the two GameStops and one EB Games in town, I can always go to GameCrazy or Best Buy instead.

And I think satan665 is right; sounds like GameStop is buying out EB Games, so that would be why they're going with the GameStop name. Kind of like how they merged Software Etc., FuncoLand, and Babbage's into GameStop.[/color]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Personally, I'd rather not see them merge because I'm an avid fan of EB (And friends with the whole crew here in our EB), and our GameStop here is over-priced and the staff is just plain dumb about games, honestly, I mean, I hate to admit a videogame store staff being stupid but they are. The staff at *our* GameStop has no clue what a videogame is, not literally but you know what I mean. Whenever I go in there and ask questions about videogames, more just to see if they've improved than anything else, I get retarded responses pointing me towards getting rather horrible games, but when I go to EB I get competent responses and they tell me what I need to hear rather than what I want to hear, besides, EB just has better customer base. That just my personal opinion.

~Silpheed, gamer for life.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Silpheed][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Personally, I'd rather not see them merge because I'm an avid fan of EB (And friends with the whole crew here in our EB), and our GameStop here is over-priced and the staff is just plain dumb about games, honestly, I mean, I hate to admit a videogame store staff being stupid but they are. The staff at *our* GameStop has no clue what a videogame is, not literally but you know what I mean. Whenever I go in there and ask questions about videogames, more just to see if they've improved than anything else, I get retarded responses pointing me towards getting rather horrible games, but when I go to EB I get competent responses and they tell me what I need to hear rather than what I want to hear, besides, EB just has better customer base. That just my personal opinion.

~Silpheed, gamer for life.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The gamestop I've been to locally really stinks, I wonder if they make a habit of hiring non-informed staff. EB games always has a good game nerd to tell you about the game you're buying and talk intelligently about it. Maybe Gamestop just hires any old teenager who might not even play games much. Who knows?

I've always liked EB games, its been around a long time and is usually the best store to go to for slightly more rare games. I avoid Walmart and Best Buy if I can, I have irrational hatred towards them.

[SIZE=1]I'd agree with Desbreko and Satan, the tone of the article makes it sound much more like Gamestop is buying out EB. Gamestop bought out Irish videogame retailers GameStore about twelve months ago and the only real change to my knowledge was the name. That said GameStore was a relatively small chain and was Gamestop's first entrance into the Irish market. I don't know of any Electronics Boutique stores in Ireland so it's probably not going to make any difference here, they'll just change the name over the shop again.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Silpheed][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Personally, I'd rather not see them merge because I'm an avid fan of EB (And friends with the whole crew here in our EB), and our GameStop here is over-priced and the staff is just plain dumb about games, honestly, I mean, I hate to admit a videogame store staff being stupid but they are. The staff at *our* GameStop has no clue what a videogame is, not literally but you know what I mean. Whenever I go in there and ask questions about videogames, more just to see if they've improved than anything else, I get retarded responses pointing me towards getting rather horrible games, but when I go to EB I get competent responses and they tell me what I need to hear rather than what I want to hear, besides, EB just has better customer base. That just my personal opinion.[/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]The joys of Internet shopping, I bought a few console games from Gamestop but eventually their overpricing and mainly gaming-retarded staff made me stop in favour of buying from Play.com. I have to admit however that in recent times they seem to have got in one fellow who is quite knowledgeable about the latest releases as well as genuinely helpful. Their PC games in my recent experience however are quite well priced and save me waiting two weeks for delivery over the net. [/SIZE]

[color=#4B0082]I kind of think the intelligence of GameStop's staff varies by store. The staff at the two GameStops in town haven't really come off as ignorant, though admittedly I haven't really talked much with them. (If I want to know about a game, I look up info online and in magazines.) Usually it's just, "Hi, I'd like to get such-and-such game," and I'm off. ... But at least they appear competent, and they always know what I'm talking about when I ask for a specific game.

Also, prices around here seem to be the same no matter where I go, for both new and used games. And very rarely do I trade used games in, so I don't really care about that. So I don't see the merger making much of a difference for me personally at least.[/color]

Well Debresko....I envy you....Around here..at MY Gamestop (which I really don't go to anymore) They are pretty daft...It's in a mall so they figured they hired any mall rat that needed a job. There was once one employee who knew her stuff...and I mean reallly knew it...I know I dated her...(on a minor note all she'd want to do is friggin make out, and trounce me in videogames >_<) She'd get into a conversation about any game really. She had every sytem practically and well she was hot...had a lisp...but still hot...probably why I went there instead of my favorite store Video Games Ect. However...she now lives in Chicago...going to the same damn school as me...Videogame Design has like one chick in the courses...and that's her lol.

How do I feel about the merger...I it's a sign that maybe they aren't doing as well as they want to be or used to...other companies just sell better for some reason.

To me they've always been more or less the same damn store. I know some people prefer one over the other, but it usually has to do with how they liked some staff at a particular location. It's not something you can base an opinion of an entire company on.

I don't think this is a good thing. I doubt prices for new games will change, but now the company has very little reason to worry about anything because there is no significant competition. Game Crazy and that Blockbuster game store are not established enough to matter.

It suspect that people will get even less for trade-ins in the future. There won't really be any alternative, so why would they want to give you fair prices? They're a company and the simple answer is that they won't want to. I don't think this is a good thing at all.

Someone mentioned on theOtaku that it was a merger and the stores will remain as Gamestop and EB Games like they are now. However, that's shortsighted in my opinion. They both have the same parent company now, they aren't competing with eachother. No matter which one you go to, the money is going to the same place. It's not like going to Target instead of Wal-Mart.

This is so weird, the staff at my Gamestop and EB Games also have these differences. The idiots behind the counter at Gamesyop seem to know absolutey nothing about video games. The only thing I ever hear them say is "you will need to have your parent approve that you can buy this game because it is M rated" EB on the other hand is almost annoying with their video game knowledge (they often get into nerdy conversations and ignore the costomers) if I take a crappy 10 dollar mech game, they'll be like, "Meh, this game isn't that great. I recccomend Mechassault." And if I take an M rated title to the counter they don't give my mom the whole "this game is rated M for Blood and Gore" my mom doesnt care...

[color=#4B0082]Heh, the staff at the GameStop in our mall here (formerly Software Etc. I suppose -- the sign above the entrance is kind of a permanent light fixture) have never asked about my age when I've bought M rated games. They did, however, ask to make I had an N64 Expansion Pak when I bought a used copy of Perfect Dark. So I thought that was kind of cool.

Though actually, I haven't yet been in the EB Games we have in town, so I can't really compare the two stores. One of the GameStops is closer to where I live, and the prices quoted in the ads EB Games sends out occasionally have always been pretty much the same as GameStop. ... So why bother going out of my way? I suppose I should go in there some time just to check the place out and see what sort of selection they have for used games. But like Tony said, they've always seemed pretty much the same to me when I've been in EB Games stores elsewhere.[/color]

[QUOTE=Silpheed][COLOR=Blue][SIZE=1]Personally, I'd rather not see them merge because I'm an avid fan of EB (And friends with the whole crew here in our EB), and our GameStop here is over-priced and the staff is just plain dumb about games, honestly, I mean, I hate to admit a videogame store staff being stupid but they are. The staff at *our* GameStop has no clue what a videogame is, not literally but you know what I mean. Whenever I go in there and ask questions about videogames, more just to see if they've improved than anything else, I get retarded responses pointing me towards getting rather horrible games, but when I go to EB I get competent responses and they tell me what I need to hear rather than what I want to hear, besides, EB just has better customer base. That just my personal opinion.

~Silpheed, gamer for life.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Wow, that sounds just like my local GameStop! The local store here is ran by employees who seem to have no knowledge of gaming whatsoever. I can't remember a single time that I have went in there with a question and it was actually answered. EB, however, has been nothing short of great.

Our gamestop here in my hometown they are alright, but their gaming knowledge is not up to standards compared to our EB Games we also have a gaming store called Player2 but it is a terrible place to go I hate them really.

The store that has the best prices though is Rhino games I love their low prices and great deals really helps me get the bang for my bucks and I also have a friend that works their so he tells me about the new deals and new shipments.

[quote name='O-tako-sama][CENTER][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I, personally, think this is a great idea. Now if only the major console companies had this much sense. The gaming world would be so much better.[/SIZE][/COLOR'][/CENTER][/quote]

[color=#D6A204]I don't know what the result will be with retailers, but let me tell you, if all of the console makers merged, gaming would suck.

Lack of competition isn't good.[/color]

[QUOTE=James][color=#D6A204]I don't know what the result will be with retailers, but let me tell you, if all of the console makers merged, gaming would suck.

Lack of competition isn't good.[/color][/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Bear in mind that without competition, companies will not be trying to outdo eachother by releasing brand-new, innovative products that we as a gaming-world. love.

In fact, the major console companies will be creating sub-par products for they'd be able to get away with it, and eventually, we'd have nothing to compare the products to anything.

Businesses Want ------> M£N$Y

Not --------> To please the world with substitute of cash and credit.

I don't think the retailers merging will cause anything big, just more capital for the business to invest into the business. The stakeholders numbers will increase, and so the 'business' will be able to run more securely.

Prices may even increase for they'd feel the reputation of the business will soar by merging two well-known companies together.

If Gamestop is EB Id imagine they'd be ALL EBs.

Driving down an unexplored part of the city, (I wasnt actually driving of course), I discoveredtwo Eb games and one in a mall. maybe they aren't changing the names? This way, they could have two stores in the same mall and it wouldn't matter.