OtakuBoards

Sin City

boxybrown305

[COLOR=DarkRed]Oh WOW! I saw a sneak preview of Sin City last night, along with my friends known here as Cap'n and The Drizzle. It was an amazing movie! The first comic book movie that was actually really, really good. I mean this blew all the rest out of the water.

The basic theme being a series of small stories that are all [SPOILER]somehow interestingly intertwined.[/SPOILER] All the acting from everyone is excelent, and the method of storytelling greatly resembles that of a comic. This is because they often have the person talking, when he's thinking, a common comic form. It beats The Hulk's attempt at comic representation by far.

At first I was a little concerned about how the black and white would turn out, but it was one of the best things about the movie. The graphics of it were fantastic. Certain colors of red, blue, green, etc. are added very nicely adding to the effect of the movie, whether it was strongly resembled or subtle. Ther are also quite good momments of a solid colorblack on a solid color white, which is equally good.

All of this rolled up into a very unique 50's kind of era, giving it the perfect feel and theme to the movie.

It was great. I'll definately pay to see it again, mabee even twice. I love it![/COLOR]

HEY, I remember that movie!

Yeah it is my one of my favorite movies right now. I mean the way that they use the black and white to emphasize certain things that are in color is just awesome. It was a comic book film being filmed in true comic book form.

I liked the way some of the scenes are filmed too. When [spoiler]Bruce Willis is in the jail for eight years, I really got a sense of the isolation that he felt because of where the camera was and how it was filmed.[/spoiler]

My fav character would have to be Dwight, even though he probably will be everyone elses I dont care I said it first! ^_^ Also, its uber violent and even though it is in black and white (and other colors) its still really graphic.

little kids SHOULDNT be brought there(Capn and BoxyBrown know what Im talking about)

Sounds awesome! I can't wait to check this flick out, as I am a big fan of both Rodriguez and Tarrintino's work. This is the first movie that has came out in a while that I am really looking forward to. If nothing else it should at least be a breath of fresh air from the recent lackluster titles hitting the theatres.

I'm looking forward to seeing [i]Sin City[/i], but I won't be contributing to the weekend boxoffice gross. Why not? Because I always see movies in the middle of the week, when the theatre is less crowded.

Still, I've seen the trailers and a few clips on late night talk shows (the one night Conan isn't in reruns, we get a Sin City clip), and what I've seen looks excellent. I heard Quentin Tarantino directed roughly 5 minutes of the movie (which would probably be why he's only labeled as a "guest director"), so I'm going to try to make a game out of spotting which scene it is.

[quote name='The Drizzle']little kids SHOULDNT be brought there(Capn and BoxyBrown know what Im talking about)[/quote]

yeah, we all saw the sneak preview together and there were some parents who brought kids under 5 to see it.

The movie being as graphic as it was, I know some [I]adults[/I] who would turn their head at the scene where [spoiler]kevin is getting eaten by his own wolf[/spoiler] not to mention the nudity.

Of course I sucked it up and dealt with it all, but thats a different story.........
*end shameless self-promotion

[COLOR=Navy]Hmm. I saw the trailer for this movie on Monday as I recall. I personally cannot wait until I see it. I like the way it is going to be narrated in a comic bookish way, love movies that way.

Second it's partly directed by Quentin Tarantino, my favorite director. I fell in love with his work when I first saw 'Kill Bill Vol. 1 and 2' in the theaters. He is justa great actor you have to admit. They say he is interested in spaghetti Westerns and Japanese action.

Third, I love bloody movies. I think I am the youngest female that loves these kinds of movies, well that I know. I will definatly go out and see this movie. Maybe by self because I have no friends that like these kinds of movies. :animecry:

Oh well, it will be interesting. Hopefully everyone doesn't yell out "Ooooooh" everytime someone gets hit like in Kill Bill...that was very annoying. Heh.[/COLOR]

The biggest reason I'm excited about this is because Frank Miller is actually co-directing. Most of the time comic book rights are bought and then some random person writes and directs it. You often wind up with something that's not true to the material and many of the changes seem odd or out of place. I think his involvement is a very good sign for the film and I'm glad to hear people are actually enjoying it.

Supposedly Quentin directed [spoiler]the car scene with the head in the film[/spoiler]. I'm sure those who saw it will know what I'm talking about. Unfortunately, it was kind of ruined for me already thanks to another site.

And pretty much any recent comic book film outside of Elektra is better than The Hulk as far as I'm concerned.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]I actually first heard more about Sin City from when Britany Murphey appeared on TRL recently. (I just happened to be flipping through the channels, I really can't stand all the screaming) Anyways, It actually looks pretty good. I didn't know the co-director was the person who directed Kill Bill, but then again I can't judge because I've never actually seen Kill Bill before *gasp* Yes its true. I haven't watched the movie. It looks a bit too bloody even for me and I just think the plot could have had more. But anyways, some great actors and actresses are going to be in this movie like Jessica Alba so its definately something I'll be going to watch. It's about time some good movies come out, not all the Ashton Kutcher ones (*Cough*GuessWho*Cough*) So atleast I can be thankful for that. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Pumpkin][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]I actually first heard more about Sin City from when Britany Murphey appeared on TRL recently. (I just happened to be flipping through the channels, I really can't stand all the screaming) Anyways, It actually looks pretty good. I didn't know the co-director was the person who directed Kill Bill, but then again I can't judge because I've never actually seen Kill Bill before *gasp* Yes its true. I haven't watched the movie. It looks a bit too bloody even for me and I just think the plot could have had more. But anyways, some great actors and actresses are going to be in this movie like Jessica Alba so its definately something I'll be going to watch. It's about time some good movies come out, not all the Ashton Kutcher ones (*Cough*GuessWho*Cough*) So atleast I can be thankful for that. [/FONT'][/SIZE][/quote]
If you think Kill Bill is too gory for you then you should definately not see Sin City. I've been a fan of Sin City since the comic books came out. The movie is incredibly true to the books and that means it's very very very gory. I don't really know how it isn't rated NC-17. I was suprised how they left in the part with the Yellow Bastard in the barn.

This is an excellent, yet flawed, movie. Any movie is usually not without its flaws, however, and what's good about [i]Sin City[/i] far overwhelms what's bad.

[spoiler]The reason I say it is flawed is because it suffers from some pacing problems. The second story arc, about the guy who accidently kills the cop, and then has to try to rid of the body, wasn't executed as well as the rest of the movie was. The person who acted as the guy who accidently kills the cop did a terrible job in comparison to all the other actors, and the entire story of this part was rather far-fetched, I thought, in comparison to the other two parts, which were much better.[/spoiler]

My favorite "part" [spoiler]was the one with the tough bad-*** guy who had that night with Goldie and found her dead, so he vowed to avenge her. The actor who played him did an excellent job, and the story arc itself was done nearly flawlessly and had a lot of interesting twists and turns and was just interesting in general.[/spoiler]

I liked how there was a lot of introspection with the characters: just a lot of inner monologues. It made it have that film noir feeling which I just can't get enough of and love. It also really fleshed out the characters. Also, the use of color reminded me vaguely of [i]Schindler's List[/i] and I thought it made this movie seem more real, as if it were its own world. It made it a lot more cohesive and somewhat original, as well as creative. I also liked how all the stories were tied together. Not going in chronological order with the "parts" was nice as well, it gave it variety and left the viewer always wondering what this had to do with everything, and kept them on the edge of the seat.

This movie reminded me a lot of [i]Kill Bill[/i], which wasn't altogether surprising. It was an enjoyable ride, even if it got long with the rather badly executed part I spoke about (even if it was badly executed it wasn't bad, it's just that in comparison to the rest of the "parts" it is very weak). Other than that, I'd recommend anyone who's old enough (it's rated R) to go see this movie. It's worth seeing in theatre.

[quote name='Harry']The movie is incredibly true to the books and that means it's very very very gory. I don't really know how it isn't rated NC-17. I was suprised how they left in the part with the Yellow Bastard in the barn.[/quote]
[COLOR=DarkRed]As far as i know, the only reason that it wasn't NC-17 is because it was is black and white. Had it been in color, there is no way they would have gotten away with as much gore as they did, but then it would have taken away from the effect of the movie, both the lack of voilece, and the wonderful graphics.

I wouldn't be suprised however, if they made a special edition NC-17 (or "unrated") version when it comes out on DVD.

Click [URL=http://www.dailyraider.com/index.php?id=3020]here[/URL] for a very good review of Sin City, though be warned, it has some spoilers.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Pumpkin][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=1]Anyways, It actually looks pretty good. I didn't know the co-director was the person who directed Kill Bill, but then again I can't judge because I've never actually seen Kill Bill before *gasp* Yes its true. I haven't watched the movie. [/FONT'][/SIZE][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkGreen]I can only assume you are reffering to Quentin Tarintino, director of many other fine films such as Pulp Fiction and Reservior Dogs. Actually, he only directed a segment of the film, earning him the title as a 'special guest director'. He only directed it for one dollar too, since the director of this film, Robert Rodriguez, scored(did the music for) Kill Bill for only a dollar.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Yes, Tarantino only directed one scene, which is roughly five minutes. I've heard that this scene is [SPOILER]the one when Dwight was in the car with the dead body of the police officer.[/SPOILER] Other than that Robert Rodriguez and Frank Miller (creator of the original comic series) co-directed it together.[/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=Blue]"Sin City" was terrific. I thought it was very true to the comic, and had a great look and feel to it, that mathed the comics's look and feel. The cast was great. Mickey Rorke did a great jon as the half Batman half Wolverine tough-guy Marv. Bruce Willis can act? Wow. He did very well too. And Rosio Dawson can actully do a serious role instead of romantic comedy, or teen drivel. It's right up there with all my favorite comic book films. Especially since they had Frank Miller co-direct it. It's his work, anyway. All we need, is a movie baed on "Batman: The Dark Knight Returns". That was the comic Frank is best known for. If you havn't read it, go out and read it. It's really good. Well, there are many "sin City" books, so there is possiblity for sequals. "Sin City" was four stars.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

He played his role to the letter. He deserves alot of credit for his role of Hartigan. I looked at the comics, and there are one or two things that they left out of the movie. (Spoilers ahead.) Like when Dwight sees his parole officer, or when Marv is talking about how much he was good at jigsaw puzzles. And a few scenes were altered so the movie wouldn't get an NC 17 rating. Like Nancy preforms topless, or when Yellow Bastard was whipping her, we was completely naked. Or when Miho cuts off the mercenary's... thing. Etc.
I would like to see a sequel. You think so?

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2

• 3 months later...
[size=1][color=Gray]I went along to see this movie the other day, and it was great.

The movie follows four stories set in Sin City, with all of them interacting Pulp Fiction style. It was gritty, gruesome and darkly humorous, quite honestly one of the best movies I've seen this year, if not [i]the[/i] best.

Black and White fused with [color=DarkRed]splashes of color[/color] was a great way to portray the movie, I liked the use of color to make certain things stand out. That was one of the more risky direction I have seen visually and I think it paid off. The end result was evident, the film noir really adding to the gritty feel of Sin City and the stories told within the movie.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know which parts of the movie Quentin Tarantino directed? He was credited at the beginning as a guest director.

So, who has seen Sin City, and what are your thoughts on it?[/color][/size]

I thought I heard a while back that Quentin Tarantino directed a scene in the Big Fat Kill portion of the film. I think it might have been the scene of Dwight in the car, but I really don't know.

I absolutely loved this movie. My friend and I saw it twice in two consecutive days in its first week in theatres. I hear a lot of the scenes were very close to the panels of the comic, and it's nice to hear that they're staying that faithful to the original story.

I think one of my favorite parts was Kevin. He was so deliciously crazy and I just enjoyed that part of the story a lot.

I'm looking forward to buying the dvd sometime soon.

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

I enjoyed Sin City a heck of a lot more than I thought I would, when I first heard about the film I was expecting some absolute gore-fest with plot sacrificed for the sake of not interrupting the violence. As you might guess when I actually did see the film I was more than pleasantly surprised, riveted being the best word to use. I thought using the black and white with dashes of colour for blood was an excellent touch a more proper homage to it's graphic novel background. The cast pleasantly surprised me as well, I wasn't expecting quite so many well-known actors and they performed their roles superbly. I'm looking forward to buying the DVD when it comes out in the next while.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=SeaGreen]I really enjoyed Sin City, bu t I usually enjoy Robert Rodriguez and pulp movies. What really made the movie for me, though, was [B]Mickey Rourke[/B]. In a triumphant return to film his portrayal of...crap I forgot the character name... the big guy...anyway, he was excellent. I was a little disappointed in the performance of Benecio Del Toro (one of my favorite actors too). I found him very undewhelming.

Technically I though the movie was very artful in the lighting and cinematography. It works so much better in black and white than how color would have carried it. Also, the wardrobe was great.[/COLOR]

There was a thead about this a while back. It wasn't [i]too[/i] long ago, so I don't really see a necessity for this thread.

But I'm not a mod, so I think I'll shut up?

As for [i]Sin City[/i] - it is one of my favorite movies. I bought the DVD recently and need to watch it again. I love the entire noirish feel and I love how it's so true to the comic book and that it's just like watching a living comic book - it's the best comic book movie ever, just because it's basically a living one.

It's got the wonderful style of a comic book, and the actor who played Marv did an absolutely wonderful performance.

[SIZE=1]I love how the movie was portrayed in black and white like in the old days. It really did portray a comic book in some sense. Jessica Alba is one of my favorite actresses, so I was glad to see her in there although her part in the storyline was not to deep in my opinion. My favorite character would have to be the samurai girl. I like the concept that it was the [SPOILER]hookers vs. police[/SPOILER] very creative. It really made you feel there was a struggle and a balance that was made to be kept.

I wouldn't list it as one of my favorites, but I definately would put it up there with the most unique films of this year. It really made you think differently, almost like The Matrix did. [/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Mitch]There was a thead about this a while back. It wasn't [i]too[/i] long ago, so I don't really see a necessity for this thread.

But I'm not a mod, so I think I'll shut up?[/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]There was indeed and only from a couple of months ago so I think I'll merge them. I tried to find see if it was a duplicate thread the first time I saw this but the search was going to slow so I gave up at the time.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]As for the movie, I really enjoyed it. I wasn't sure how I'd like the whole mostly black and white thing but they did a good job with it. It really made for an interesting looking movie.[/color][/font]

Jessica Alba is at her hottest here... too bad she didn't get naked like the directors wanted her to. You know what's really sad? I think that my friend mistook her for Hilary Duff. "Yeah, whup that overrated b*tch's fat *ss!" After the movie: "What are you talking about? Jessica Alba is the hottest actress around!"

Anyways, cool movie. This movie was the first in a long time where I absolutely loved the movie and my mom absolutely hated it. I liked the way that the big guy went down. *gets electric chair'D* Is that all you got?