OtakuBoards

What genre of music do you listen to?

sweetpeach14

[quote name='RiflesAtRecess']One of my favorite genres is Hardcore, the good kind. Really, if you don't like hardcore, you've either not found the right band, or you get headaches too easily to enjoy them. [/quote]
Or they're just not into it. Now I'm not trying to start anything, but come on.... No point in being judmental if someone don't listen to a certain type of music.

In any case. I haven't been listening anything lately. But whenever I do listen to music, I'm either listening to gospel, R&B, or very little rap. (Eminem or old school)

Oh yea, I can't forget about anime / japanese music. The main reason I listen to this one is because I don't understand what's being said. The music this day in age... Has become very tiresome.

Rap - *shrugs* Money, girls, cars... mumble jumble..... Half the time I barely understand what's being said now because of all that so-called gold, platinum, grillz that are in their mouth. It's sad too because I understand rappers that rap fast (Twista, Busta Rhymes, Bone Thugs n Harmony) moreso than these slow rappers.. with this stuff in their mouth. But nevertheless, I still listen to just very little of it though.

Gospel - I have no problems with this genre of music. I find it very soothing.

R&B - Same as rap. They're singing about the same thing over and over. But I can stand this more than rap. Main R&Ber's I listen to is Alicia Keys, Usher, and Sean Paul... (raggae or r&b?)

I don't listen to any form of rock, metal, country, polka.... or whatever.

i listen to everything. classical, heavy metal, techno, classic rock, emo, pop, folk, jazz, gothic music, anime music, chamber, hmm i could go on, right now if i had to pick a favorire genre it wuld be female goth rock (gotic rock/metal bands with female vocals) like evanescence, nightwish, within temptation, ellis, lacuna coil, leave'es eyes, theater of tragedy, qntal. Within temptation is my absaute favorites though i am obsessed, everythinga bout that band.

[quote name='Sting']Or they're just not into it. Now I'm not trying to start anything, but come on.... No point in being judmental if someone don't listen to a certain type of music.[/quote]

Actually, I agree with RiflesAtRecess. I think that there are just too many great artists and bands out there to totally dismiss any one genre of music. I'm not [i]that[/i] big into hip-hop, for example, but there are artists in the genre I like (MF Doom, Outkast, etc.). If you think that there are genres with absolutely no merit at all, then I think that you just aren't looking hard enough for the great musicians. They exist in all forms of music.

Anyway... I try not to limit myself to certain genres, but I do have my preferences. I love shoegazer (Curve, Cocteau Twins, Slowdive, My Bloody Valentine, etc.). The sound of shoegazing is incredibly melodic, and a lot of my favorite vocalists are/were in shoegazing bands. I can't get enough of it. :)

I've also been listening to a ton of punk lately. Nothing like a good, simple barrage of guitars and drums to get your mind off of things. The best punk bands are so much fun to listen to.

[size=1]I listen to basically anything but rap and hip-hop. Listening to country music is rare for me. I used to hate listening to it. And some country music, I still can't stand. But some are okay. I like listening to the classical channel when I'm in a mood to draw or write. Listening to instrumental music is always nice to listen to so I can get my mind thinking.

Although, I'm more into rock. I prefer modern rock, though. I'm not much of a person into the screaming songs, or ones that don't make much sense. Songs that are "emo" are okay. But when it comes to slitting wrists and suicides, count me out.

Soft rock is okay.

But if it has a steady drum, guitars, a nice voice, and heck, throw in a piano, then the band is for me.

Bands like Something Coorporate, Panic! At the Disco, Relient K, those are the ones I like. I s'pose. :animeswea [/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest White Lily
[FONT=Times New Roman][B][COLOR=Blue]Well, i like anything that sounds good. stuff like Death Cab for Cutie, Panic! At The Disco, Madsen(german band), And I absolutley cannot stand that stupid pop and rap music. its so stupid i feel like barfing if i hear anything pop or rap. :animedepr[/COLOR] [/B] [/FONT]

[size=1]My taste in music varies [b]a lot[/b]. I listen to Emo, Screamo, Indie, Metalcore, Metal, Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Progressive, Punk, Jazz (Frank Sinatra and Louis Armstrong, to name a few), Death Metal, Grindcore, Classical, and Acoustic.

If I had to choose a "Top 3" of the genre I listen to most, it would probably be[list]
[*]Emo
[*]Screamo
[*]Post-Hardcore
[/list]
So, yeah. I can't stand to listen to rap, I don't know what it is but if songs include anything about "slappin' dem hoes" or "rollin' on dem 25's," I tend to lose interest after about 3.5 seconds.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
Deep House music-made it for me "its a soul thing" ive been to some of the best parties and heard some of the genre's best house dj's, before this Drum n' Bass was pretty big in my life-my bro used to play at a club and he had a large collection of DnB vinyls...today im a down tempo, acid jazz, deep house boy through and through....i do however listen to the odd Coldplay cd and Kylie(she's just sexy) :animeknow-right now ive got "The Roots" playin on my Ipod (hip hop)

As for myself, I enjoy most genres of music. I listen to (in alphbetical) alternative, classical rock, classical, dance, eurobeat, freestyles, hard rock, hip-hop, jazz, metal, musicals, new age, oldies, pop, R & B, rap, rock, slow jams, techno, and trance. Another list I'm sure. For my favorite band/singers of all time, it would have to be Linkin Park, Metallica, SOAD, Del Tha Funkee Homosapien, Gorillaz, E.S. Posthumus, Yoko Kanno, Ayumi Hamasaki, Tupac, Michael Jackson, Queen, Guns N' Roses, Josh Groban - to name but a few :animeswea .

Also a side note: I don't understand why some people "hate" on other genre of music. There's no such thing as one type being more better than the other. Music, by human definition, is an art that harmonizes melody, rhythm, and timbre. It is much like poetry; The soul thrives on it. So long as the song has fluency of words, ingenuity, and enriches or soul, there's no point in fussing over trivial things as putting down other music just because of your own personal preferences. Sorry for that rant but I just wanted to get that message across :animesigh :D

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]...What is considered to be in the 'Emo' Genre? Just wondering. ;)

Anywho, there isn't really anything I don't like. I'm way to tolerate of stuff. Some of my favorite singers and bands are in completely different languages. Natasha Bedingfield, Metallica, James Blunt, Cool Joke, Asian Kung-Fu Genretion, Kanye West, Shakira, Gorrilaz...

I'm currently making a notebook of all of my liked artists, and currently it's seven pages long! My hand hurt afterward... :( [/FONT][/COLOR]

I have lots of different musical preferences but I mostly listen to:

Metal - I love metal music, it?s just a great type of music to listen to however you feel. You get all sorts of metal songs, happy, depressing etc so you can?t lose really. You also get really cool live acts, and you can?t beat Rammstein for live acts. If you don?t know who they are you really should check them out, they are a great band from Germany.

Punk ? Punk music is really cool to liven you up at any time really. It?s great to just listen to some punk music and relax/rock out, etc. My favourite punk bands are The Offspring, everyone probably knows them, and The Vandals, who are known for making really silly songs.

Anime/Video game songs ? You have to love anime songs, they are just so cool for obvious reasons. They are mostly really catchy and they get me trying to sing in Japanese all the time. Video game music for the same reason as it?s just simply catchy, especially the Final Fantasy soundtracks.

I listen mainly to Metal music, classic rock and some Punk

Metal music - i like the heavier, faster stuff that gets you going more, but i can sit down and listen to a slow song now and again, my favourite bands mainly come from this section (Metallica, Machine Head, Rammstein etc.)

Classic rock - Gives me a kind of Nostalgia feeling, i dont know why, i love the way the songs are made, i like to play along now and again on my guitar, especially to bands like Thin Lizzy

Punk - What really was the baby steps towards me liking metal, i like a few punk bands like Blink 182(before they turned pop-punk) and the Offspring

im definitely not a fan of Rap, hip-hop and pop, i like songs where the lyrics mean something, and not just "ooh baby!..", random stuff about some girls 'booty' and then some other nonsense you cnt even tell theyre saying cause theyre saying it so fast

Oh, and you gotta love Anime and Video game soundtracks, who doesnt love a bit of 'READY STEADY GO!' i dont know, as for Video games, you can't beat the Final Fantasy soundtracks, Nobuo is a musical Genius

[quote name='FullMetalHughes']im definitely not a fan of Rap, hip-hop and pop, i like songs where the lyrics mean something, and not just "ooh baby!..", random stuff about some girls 'booty' and then some other nonsense you cnt even tell theyre saying cause theyre saying it so fast[/quote]

I undoubtedly agree. If I hadn't mention before, Rap is dying. Not just the genre itself but all the other categories that fall under that: hip-hop, R & B, and traditional. Remember when words had meaning? When the pen was actually stronger than the sword? When rap didn't mean bling-bling or how many ho's you had? I can understand why most of today's people are not the fan of Rap (the genre). Especially when all you hear is WHAT? YEAH! OKAY!

Personally I don't mind crunk. Every now and then people just need to [B]cut loose and go crazy[/B]. But if you're just listening to it for the lyrics, I can easily see why people are looking down on this art. Sure the art has (and still is) corrupt, but what isn't? It wouldn't be surprising in the next 50 years, todays elevator music will be replaced with lil jon' or mike jones or whoever. Nonetheless, underground rap is blooming. Great minds are popping everywhere. Intelectually productive, thought provoking, and ingeniously composed.

"Rap isn't about busting caps or f-ing ho's. It's about fluency with rhyming ingenuity"

Guest Heero yuy
I'm into a lot of stuff:
Metalcore
a little of deathmetal
blackmetal
indie
alternative
grunge
ambiant/tech
classical

a lot of stuff...

• 2 weeks later...
I mostly listen to punk, gothic, industrial, techno, and rock. I love industrial and gothic music because my friend got me really hooked on Bauhaus and Joy Division. I love DDR, and I also love the music on that. Blink 182 and a lot of other bands in those genres, i think, are totally awesome. :catgirl: