OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Yeah, I'll be hitting Strauss from about 3 'til 6 this morning.

>_>[/FONT][/QUOTE]Heh. Though now you've got me off on Nightwish again. Bah! But there's no denying that for [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2abtU6tTo"][U]Nightwish - Kuolema Tekee Taiteilijan[/U][/URL] the cello solo approximately 2:00 into the song is gorgeous. I'm going to end up getting the album just for that song alone. Even if it's in Finnish it's still a beautiful song.

[FONT=Arial][U]The Eagles: Long Road Out Of Eden[/U]

It is most definitely [I]not[/I] Strauss. =P

[B]Edit:[/B]
[quote name='Rachmaninoff']I'm going to end up getting the album just for that song alone.[/quote]
I guarantee you'll like Creek Mary's Blood. And you should also look at The Sirens, because the guitar solo is very tasteful of the style, and the choral partwriting is very interesting.

Hurrah for legit nomenclature taking over the thread! :D[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Hurrah for legit nomenclature taking over the thread! :D[/FONT][/QUOTE]Oh definitely, the thread needs it. :p

And while I'm here, I'm now listening to: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X-PTX5zgWE&feature=related"][U]Nightwish - Wish I Had an Angel[/U][/URL] I can see that I really need to get the album this is on. Once. The more I listen to Nighwish, the more I like them. Heh. They have such a deep powerful rhythm to their music that I like and the vocals are great, from the more controlled to the metal singing that is not too harsh. Which I really like. [/COLOR]

[quote name='indifference][COLOR="Indigo"']The more I listen to Nighwish, the more I like them. Heh. They have such a deep powerful rhythm to their music that I like and the vocals are great, from the more controlled to the metal singing that is not too harsh. Which I really like. [/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I was fortunate enough to be introduced to them by Ghost Love Score, so I was hooked immediately.

When I found out that every member was classically trained, [U]and[/U] had belonged to a major operatic group at some point in their careers, I was drawn in ever further, because I knew they must know somewhat of what they were writing, and that they weren't contracting out for arrangements and orchestration and copyists and what. And [URL="http://www.nightwish.com/en/band/members/facts?id=2"][COLOR="Blue"]Marco Hietala[/COLOR][/URL] does a magnificent job everywhere. I personally find it great that he's a fantastic tenor and plays bass; hearing those differences so well shows real talent.

This impressed me more than anything:
[QUOTE][FONT="Arial"][I][B]Musical Background[/B]
Active musical family background. [U]I've been exposed to jazz, rock and classical ever since I was born.[/U] I´ve been playing guitar and bass since the age of 12. 3 years of classical guitar, vocal and musical theory studies in musical college. 2 more years of bass and musical theory lessons in Oulunkylä Pop and Jazz Conservatory.[/I][/FONT][/QUOTE]
My parents did the same for me. My father was actually a Music Ed major in college as well, and I basically took up the trombone because he played it first. (It was either that or clarinet, and at twelve I was pretty certain that having that easy a reference and guide was preferable to segueing into sax—which I still want to play.)

My iTunes is on album shuffle mode right now, so I just went from Evanescence to some jazz trombone ensemble. (I need to get their name from my professor.) Really tight group, with solid grooves. Great late night work music. Keeps my mind relaxed.

[B]Edit:[/B] Wait, just switched again. "Gospel and Religious", iTunes calls it. Feh. It's Pillar, their rapcore album. They've gone hard rock, though, but they still have some decent rap on a few tracks.[/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I was fortunate enough to be introduced to them by Ghost Love Score, so I was hooked immediately.

When I found out that every member was classically trained, [U]and[/U] had belonged to a major operatic group at some point in their careers, I was drawn in ever further, because I knew they must know somewhat of what they were writing, and that they weren't contracting out for arrangements and orchestration and copyists and what. And [URL="http://www.nightwish.com/en/band/members/facts?id=2"][COLOR="Blue"]Marco Hietala[/COLOR][/URL] does a magnificent job everywhere. I personally find it great that he's a fantastic tenor and plays bass; hearing those differences so well shows real talent.[/FONT][/QUOTE]Well I knew of them via their Dark Passion Play album, I just never got around to really looking into them. And since it's rare to find a group where ten out of say thirteen songs on an album is one I like... I'm thinking it was my loss that I waited so long to check them out more. Yet another thing I blame you for Allamorph. :p

I just finished listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_A6W78e9xk&feature=related"][U]Nightwish - Dead Gardens[/U][/URL] and now I'm on to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tceAVckc1Xk&feature=related"][U]Nightwish - Romanticide[/U][/URL] Again, it's got such a nice heavy rhythm to it that I like. I'm so getting addicted to this band. Heh.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]I'm actually listening to This is Your Captain Speaking right now. I have been for the past few days. :] I'm glad you guys like them as well. Two of their members are from Strike the Choir... Which is kind of like... Fear Before the March of Flames meets Underoath.

I've also been listening to After the Tragedy... possibly the most important band of our time, from my homestate. They've appeared on MTV twice... They're indie, and are touring... It's hard to believe they were so nearby, and are now so big. They also are another hardcore band...

While writing this, I changed my song to "dans-party massacre" by Attack! Attack! Attack! I found this band on purevolume like two weeks ago... They only have two songs up, but they're pretty good, if you're into strange stuff like this. They've got a very solid mix between screamo and metalcore... It sounds like pg. 99 with a little more drop-D palm mutes, and Underoath-esque guitar riffs. (sort of)
[/SIZE]

[/COLOR]

So I managed to get my greasy mits on more Children of the Anachronistic dynasty. WOW

I got this great song called left down and up. It is by far the most amazing song I have heard thus far. Any fan of MJK should really check out this stuff.

[color=crimson]"What are you listening to" WE LOVE THE 90's.

90's songs I have listened to recently:

[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vaw-9WElAjc]"Mambo No. 5" by Lou Bega[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WESs2U_avdU]"Give It Away" by the Red Hot Chili Peppers[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AR4PGt9oOto]"It Wasn't Me" by Shaggy[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApdgkFyKy7A]"Then the Morning Comes" by Smash Mouth[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWOsbGP5Ox4]"California Love" by Tupac[/url]
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyp5we2ySDo]"Zombie" by the Cranberries[/url]

Haha, it might be a cardinal sin, but I have been listening to the entire Smash Mouth album from 1999 the last few days. Not too bad. ;)[/color]

[QUOTE]Haha, it might be a cardinal sin, but I have been listening to the entire Smash Mouth album from 1999 the last few days. Not too bad. [/QUOTE]
Y'know as boring and disghusting as I find Smash Mouth I admire you for having the balls to say you like them.

[COLOR="Navy"]I just watched the video to Tool's Vicarious, and it ahs to be THE WEIRDEST music video I ahve seen in my lifetime. It was so weird and amaaing I ahve to watch it again, lol. But I have to say, it was pretty amazing. The video is too weird to explain, just go look for it for god's sake >_<

Earlier today I watched the video to Chevelle's Vitimin R (LEsading us Along) it was cool too, I like it better than the Tool video though cuase the Tool one is just freaky. Anyways, the song is about Ridilen, thus the name Vitimin R, and its pretty good.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Well I ended up getting the Nightwish Once album... Definitely well worth the money and I'm now listening to it since youtube can never compare to having a good copy of the songs. And since I'm here I'm currently listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuqUoMfgMvM"][U]Nightwish - The Siren[/U][/URL] A little slower than some of the other songs but still good. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph;807850][FONT=Arial]I guarantee you'll like Creek Mary's Blood. And you should also look at The Sirens, because the guitar solo is very tasteful of the style, and the choral partwriting is very interesting.[/FONT][/QUOTE]You're right, I do like it and I'm actually listening to it at the moment. I'll have to check out The Sirens for the guitar solo once I'm done with the first one. [quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial']Hurrah for legit nomenclature taking over the thread! :D[/FONT][/quote]Oh I agree. We could use more of that actually. Heh.

[FONT=Arial][B]The Sweet ? Ballroom Blitz[/B]

So shoot me. It's a great song. It's like watching a ridiculously epic party through Lewis Carroll's glasses.

Also, Christian Lindberg's performance of the Hindemuth [I]Sonata for trombone[/I]. I'll be playing it Monday in our studio recital (well, the third and fourth movements, anyway), so it's helping me to get the timing down.

I don't really care for soloing, but I'm definitely starting to take to this piece; it's almost as intricate as Stjepan Sulek's [I]Sonata Vox Gabrieli[/I] in terms of the interplay between the trombone and piano, which I feel is really more of a trombone-piano duet. Hang all the show-off pieces?[I]these[/I] are the fun ones, the ones that make you sweat while you're playing. Range is all over the place, lots of rapid chord changes and poli-rhythms and what.

I've been told that some pianists refuse to accompany to this piece because it's so dang hard. I'm fortunate to have an amazing accompanist here as an adjunct faculty, and he charges fairly cheap for his outstanding abilities. I heard another guy in the studio play the Sulek two years ago, and even though he was butchering the time, the accompanist was dropping multiple measures like they were nothing; I have the piano part ensconced in my head, and I was just going "there go four beats; that's [I]that[/I] measure dropped; holy frick, he's still with him...."[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='indifference;807698][COLOR="Indigo"] Something I blame completely on Allamorph.[/COLOR][/QUOTE][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial']I take full responsibility for that.[/FONT][/quote]So you're the one responsible for that. And here I was going to blame Darren since he got one of their albums last year. That was a shocker.

Anyway... it seems I'm listening to this band as well... Nightwish that is. How can I not? Crystia's been blaring her new album Once that she got the other day. Though at this rate I'm going to end up liking it too. So far out of what I've heard, I like Dark Chest of Wonders the best. The female singer has a beautiful voice. :animesmil Oh and while I'm here... headphones Crystia... use them. lol (I'm kidding by the way) Hehe.[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]All this Nightwish talk is making me smile so much, xD. They were my favorite band when I was in the eighth grade, back when Once had just come out. The reason I prefer Tarja to Anette is partially that I was seriously obsessed with the band then, as it was. The change came when I really didn't care too much anymore, but I still felt like it was all wrong when I heard the new singer.

To me, Nightwish needs those amazing operatic vocals. Like I said, it's just not the same.

Right now I'm listening to their live performance of "Beauty and the Beast," which is probably my favorite song of theirs. I would really recommend the live version to the studio, because this one just sounds so much nicer. The male vocals here are done by Tony Kakko, who is great, and near the end of the song Tarja has this beautiful vocal solo. <3

You people have been listening to Once more than anything, but you really need to check out their previous works. Most notably [B]Century Child[/B]; all but one of the tracks on that album were pretty much tied for being my favorite way back when. From start to finish, it's so epic and awesome, I can't really describe it. Hah. Just look for it.

Now I have "Travel Hymn" by Circa Survive playing. Completely different style of music, but it's perfect anyway. Anthony Green has a humongous vocal range, and in a lot of their songs it sounds like he's singing the listener to sleep. <3[/FONT]

[font=trebuchet ms][b]Lollipop[/b] by Mika
- Don't deny this song...it's amazing and you know it. lol The music video is pretty cool, too. Check it out!

[b]Those You've Known[/b] from [i]Spring Awakening[/i]
- I want to see this musical [i]so badly[/i]. =_= I wish I lived in NYC, I'd spend all my money on this kind of stuff. And Jonathan Groff is completely drool worthy.

[b]With a Little Help from My Friends[/b] from [i]Across the Universe[/i]
- For some reason I didn't like this song at first, but it's pretty fun.[/font]

[quote name='Clurr][FONT="Arial"']To me, Nightwish needs those amazing operatic vocals. Like I said, it's just not the same.[/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]No, it's not. Not by a long shot. But I still enjoy both of them equally; I also wonder what Anette sounds like on End Of All Hope.

And I do have Oceanborn, but other than that I have been lazy in my purchases. >_>[/FONT]

[FONT="Arial"]Allamorph, I'm sure there are videos of Nightwish's recent performances on YouTube. I saw one of Anette singing "Ever Dream" (which made me sad, to be honest :[ ). They'd be concert performances, of course, but some videos have decent quality.

Right now I'm listening to "Beauty of the Beast" by Nightwish. Which is not the same song as "Beauty AND the Beast." Anyway.

My mind keeps drawing parallels from Nightwish to Dracula, even though there really aren't any at all. At least not to the book... to the movie Bram Stoker's Dracula, there are countless. Haha.

That's the only reason I've been listening to so much Nightwish lately. It makes me think of Mina Harker, and that makes me so happy.

Nightwish; "Astral Romance"
I've got the original version playing now, but I MUCH prefer the remake on Over the Hills and Far Away. My favorite part: after Tarja's verses she has this lovely vocal solo, which soon explodes into a whole choir of 50 other Tarjas. I love.

Haha, since this version is different from the one I've listened to the most (the lyrics are different, on top of the instrumentation and quality) so I'm thinking "what ARE you singing right now?" [/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]To me, Nightwish needs those amazing operatic vocals. Like I said, it's just not the same.[/FONT][/QUOTE]And being what one would consider a more recent fan and thus starting with Dark Passion Play, I don't see it that way since my first exposure was to their new singer instead of the other one. So I like both of them.

Anyway, Nightwish is not what I'm listening to right now anyway, I got into a different mood altogether and moved to lighter rock music, older stuff at that. I've got my Peter Cetera greatest hits disk in and it's currently on [B]Glory of Love[/B]. I always did like his voice though so I can on some level understand your disappointment with Nightwish. When I got to stuff where Peter Cetera had left Chicago, it just wasn't the same. I liked his voice, not the others. [/COLOR]

[size=1][COLOR="Navy"]Right now I'm listening to 10,000 Days by Tool... on my new kick-*** MP3! I got it at the new Super-Wal*Mart near my home. Anyways, it's a distradction from my obsesion with Chevelle, who's lead singer looks like that Cook dude form this season's American Idol. Plus, his voice is sometiems compared to Maynard James Keenan, and Chevelle and Tool sort of have similarities IMO.

In a few minutes I'll be listening to Chevelle again.... *sigh...*[/COLOR][/size]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Right now it's on White Knuckles by Five Finger Death Punch.
When I first heard the band name I was thinking it was well... a lame band.
But now they're one of my favourites. Whenever I hear a guitarist with actual talent, I smile. It's not easy to find these days.

Don't get me wrong, I like catchy riffs as much as the next guy. But there's just something about music you can listen to in complete awe.

I'm also listening to Bright Eyes. Completely different genre, but that's how I am.

So anyway, I completely recommend the aforementioned song.
[/FONT][/COLOR]