OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I haven't heard much Beethoven guys, but I can stand him, it's mostly due to a movie that I saw in Music in like, 1st or 2nd grade. Anyways, he's just my kind of person. Deaf, and can be a prick sometimes. From what the movie showed me anyways XP

[I]Arnold Scwartzinegger was practicing his lines for a film. In the film he was going to play a classic, and great musician. So his director asks, [B]"Can you tell me one of the lines from your script Arnold?"[/B] Arnold replies saying [B]"I'lll be Bach."[/B][/I] [spoiler]Sorry couldn't resist![/spoiler]

Ahem... anyways, I'm still listening to Vitamin R by Chevelle, and for some reason, I can't sway myself away from the damn song! I've been circulating it over and over, from my stereo to my MP3... someone help me! >_<[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Don't ask why... but I've currently got System of a Down Toxicity Cd in right now. The song on is Chop Suey. The CD and song are both great in their own little ways because well, I like system of a down. The 'hard-core' way they play their music brings an odd, but somewhat relaxing, feeling into my ears.

[QUOTE]Ugh classical music besides Beethoven makes me cringe... bleck! XP[/QUOTE] Surely you can't mean as a whole?

I think I am confused here...are you guys saying that grunge was heavily influenced by classical music? If so how? I don't see it at all...

Anyway I am listening to Don't Leave me now by Pink Floyd. Really trippy awesome stuff.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I do mean as a whole, sadly.

Right now I'm listening [B]The Little Things give you Away [/B]off of Linkin Park's [B]Minutes to Midnight[/B]. A surprise to me, it's an excellant son, and the CD, while sucking balls, isn't that bad anymore. Given up, What I've Done and No More Sorrow are good songs. The rest however, is crap.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Felix Freeman'][SIZE=1][CENTER][B] Now:[/B] Afterlife
[B]Artist:[/B] Avenged Sevenfold[/CENTER]

I like the song... everything but the vocals, it sounds like the lead singer is trying too hard, reminds me of a dying cat.

great instrumentation though.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]I really don't about the vocals, that's just M. Shadows to me, lol. The violin (or whatever it is) in the beginning adds a nice touch. Plus the soul cackling at the end are a perfect end, it's a good song, with a great message.

A Little Piece of Heaven off of that album, is better though. Honestly listen to it.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]Heliumvola; "Veni Veni":
My friend got me into them back when we were all gothy in the eighth grade. Even then I only liked a few songs off their Liod album, and this one was my favorite. They're like electronica with really simple instrumentation and lyrics in mostly German, but this song is in Latin. My other favorite of theirs, "Printemps," is in French. I might have to listen to it again, because it reminds me of riding the bus home from school. Strangely, that's a pleasant feeling, even though the bus ride was never anywhere near enjoyable.

Voltaire; "Brains!":
Another remnant of my gothy days! Voltaire is so good, though; the songs I have are very gypsy-esque with acoustic guitar, cello, violin, and drums. Some may recognize this song from the Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.[/FONT]

[quote name='Panache']I think I am confused here...are you guys saying that grunge was heavily influenced by classical music? If so how? I don't see it at all...[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]That's probably because you're only looking at musical evolution over the span of a decade, maybe two. Right now, musical styles are developing a hundred times faster than they were centuries ago; I mean, it took an entire millennium to move out of simple Gregorian chant into standard musical notation and meter, then only a hundred and fifty years to produce instrumental music and opera. If, say, the Romantic period had lasted for as long as the Medieval, we'd still just be developing Dixieland right now.

So as of recently, no. Grunge does not have Classical influence. But, looking at the broader musical spectrum, Grunge owes its existence to light rock, jazz, classical, etc.

[B]Edit:[/B] May Pink Floyd live forever. (^_^)[/FONT]

[COLOR=darkslategray][SIZE=1][FONT=Book Antiqua]I'm finally starting to listen to other songs off of the latest [B]Chevelle[/B] album I bought. Get [B]Some [/B]is a pretty good song. But right now I'm listening to [B]Breach Birth[/B], which is an excellent tune. BTW Allamorph, love the cat in your avatar, cute.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Ack, I noticed the mentioning of Linkin Park and Avenged Sevenfold. :animesighI detest A7X.

Now I'm listening to Sikth. No song in particular, just basically everything off their newest album.
Also I got back into Caliban, and Nightwish since there's so much talk of it. Haven't listened to Nightwish in years.

[/FONT][/COLOR][QUOTE]I think I am confused here...are you guys saying that grunge was heavily influenced by classical music? If so how? I don't see it at all...[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Everything is influenced by classical. :p
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]So as of recently, no. Grunge does not have Classical influence. But, looking at the broader musical spectrum, Grunge owes its existence to light rock, jazz, classical, etc.[/FONT][/QUOTE]Well yes and no, not necessarily grunge per se, but there is a lot of styles of music that were heavily influenced by classical as it were.

[list][*]The use of instruments and timbres that resemble classical music, such as piano, harpsichord, violin and orchestra sounds, emulated or not by synthesizers.
[*]Adaptation of traditionally classical instruments techniques, specifically the violin for the electric guitar (notably their vibrato).
[*]The frequent transcription and/or adaptation or emulation of Classical pieces - mostly violin ones - to formations involving the electric guitar as the soloist. For the introduction to 1981's "Diary of a Madman", Rhoads borrowed heavily from Cuban classical guitar composer Leo Brouwer's "Etude #7".
[*]The frequent borrowing of harmony, motifs and themes from specially well-known classical pieces.
[*]The central role of guitar shredding playing techniques, many of them inspired by Paganini's style of playing.[/list]
It's more than just metal, many of the styles and techniques get borrowed on a regular basis and in some outright copied. I don't remember the name of the western I saw, but the romantic music for the show was none other than one of Brahms symphonies.

So basically, as Allamorph just said, many of today's styles are on some level influenced by the development of music over the centuries. :p So naturally I laugh when people dismiss older classical music as blech, when serious musicians will make a point of studying it to improve their ability and range of techniques. Because they know that those techniques in the big picture, came from the development of music over more than just a few decades.

And now that I've gone on way to long... I'm listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu2PDW2EVWQ"][U]Tchaikovsky Piano concerto No.1[/U][/URL] that you mentioned Panache. Great piece really. Heh.

[B]EDIT:[/B] Allamorph... Edited... I got thrown off by putting the example in and didn't catch the repeat. lol

[FONT=Arial]I'd also like to point out a couple of things that just occurred to me; and help me, [COLOR="DarkRed"]Rach[/COLOR], if I screw up. :p

[quote name='Rachmaninoff][list][*]The frequent borrowing of harmony, motifs and themes from [e']specially well-known classical pieces.[/list][/quote]
Take Johann Pachelbel, whose Canon in D (the bane of every cellist's existence) had been taken for its pleasant chord progression by numerous artists, such as Dennis Lambert and Brian Potter ("One Tin Soldier"), Vitamin C ("Graduation Song"), Aerosmith ("Cryin"), Blues Traveler ("Hook"), Green Day ("Basket Case"), and probably several others that I can't remember right off the top of my head.

Also, lack of knowledge of musical history isn't all that new, or bad. For instance, J.S. Bach's music wasn't even known until Felix Mendelssohn discovered a box of his scores, so even in the 1800s there was a lot of musical ignorance. And J.S. Bach was [I]Kappelmeister[/I] in ... Leipzig, was it? for several decades, and was very highly regarded by the music world during most of his life, but a century and a half later, no one knew who he was.

Chicago, right now. Their second album. Good set. (^_^)[/FONT]

[QUOTE]And now that I've gone on way to long... I'm listening to Tchaikovsky Piano concerto No.1 that you mentioned Panache. Great piece really. Heh.[/QUOTE]
Glad you like. This was the first Tchaikovsky piece I ever listened to. I think I will get me so more at some point.

As of now I am listening to crank that Calvary Boy. Which is essentially a screamo mockery of all those dumb soulja boy songs. It is riiiiich because my friends actually do like these crappy songs.(To be fair I like crank that homeless man but that is only because I think homeless people are inherently funny as hell).

Oh and I thought you were using influenced in a different way. Lie grunge musicians were actively trying you make their music sound like classical music. You can see where I get confused...

[QUOTE]And J.S. Bach[/QUOTE]
I helped a friend on a report on him. It was actually kind of interesting. Even though most of the terminology used went right over my head. I have no understanding of classical music terms.

[font="book antiquia"][size=1][COLOR="darkslategray"]I know what you mean about those dumb Soulja Boy songs. All of my friends sing it, and none of us listen to hip-hop or rap. It sickens me really.

Still lsitening to Linkin Park, a while ago I was listening to 10,000 Days by Tool, which is an amazing song.[/COLOR][/size][/font]

[QUOTE]I know what you mean about those dumb Soulja Boy songs. All of my friends sing it, and none of us listen to hip-hop or rap. It sickens me really.[/QUOTE]
Do they see it as actual good music? Because my peers see it as that....I hit them a lot...

I am listening to more Tchaikovsky. Violin concerto in D minor. This is like...the best guitar solo I ever heard times 9 billion.

[quote name='Aberinkula'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]They do, and one of these days I'm going to flip on them like a McDonald's manager![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
LOL!!! This is the first time you have given me epic lulz.

Oh man. That makes me wanna listen to Mexico by Beck sooo bad. I think I will.

Here are the epic lyrics...

[QUOTE]Come gather round me people, here's a story you never heard
'bout me and my friends and some things that occured
We thought we'd get some money, we thought that we might go
Spend a weekend pleasant down in mexico

I was workin at mcdonalds, doin' the latenight run
When a car pulled up the drive thru and pointed out a gun
Said give us all your money and three big macs to go
I stuffed them all in a bag and I ducked down below

Well the boss got angry when he found out I didn't call the police
I guess I was kinda nervous, there was a warrant out on me
Concernin' some jaywalkin tickets I couldn't afford to pay
Needless to say I got the axe that same day

Well me bein' outta work just then I didn't wanna go home
My mom said if I lost this job I'd have to go out on my own
So I went over to dave's house and got really stoned
Called up some girls but none o' them were home

Steve came over and he brought some alcohol
We're all gettin really depressed just starin' at the wall
Thought we'd get some money, we thought that we might go
Spend a weekend pleasant down in mexico

Steve's dad had a huntin' rifle and we went and picked it up
And we stopped into the 7-11 to try our luck
We raised up that huntin' rifle but the counter guy just laughed
As he pulled out an uzi we turned and hauled ***

We were runnin so fast 'til we came to the mcdonalds where I used to work
We walked up to the drive thru and gave my boss a jerk
Said give us all your money and three big macs to go
And suck on this you weasel we're goin to mexico

Down south we all got really wasted, dave got a case of the runs
We're all really hungover and gettin low on funds
Dave and steve called their parents and took the bus back home
Me, I got a job at mcdonalds down in mexico[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Ahhh Panache, always good to see your sense of humor. Anyways now I have to share a mexican song with you.

[QUOTE][spoiler]My name is Paco,
I live in a taco,
I make 5 dollars a day.
I met this girl Lucy,
I sucked on her *****
and she took my 5 dollars away. [/spoiler][/QUOTE]

Ik it's a bit dirty but blame Panache for posting stuff about Mexico :p

Oh wait this thread has a topic... forgot. Ummm, I'm listening to random **** on m MP3, right now I'm listening to The Light and the Glass by Coheed and Cambria. Beautiful song.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Well right now I'm listening to the soundtrack from [B]National Treasure: Book of Secrets[/B], this song to be exact: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxudK5VjU4"][U]Page 47[/U][/URL] The violin solo that starts at about 40 into the song is my favorite part. And then I love how it moves to a more grand theme at about 1:20 for a short time. :catgirl: [/FONT]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Good choice Sabrina. ^_~ [B]National Treasure: Book of Secrets [/B] was not only a fun movie, but I agree, the music is great. I don't have the album, but I'm rather fond of this track here: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TgFK1ugPamY"][U]Gabby Shuffle[/U][/URL] It's fun to listen to for a short piece. I really should get around to purchasing it since I like most if not all of the music from this movie.

This also reminds me that I have yet to reserve a copy for when it's released on May 20, 2008. I should get that taken care of. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"]My favorite soundtrack right now... The August Rush ST.

Besides that, I'm listening to one of my favorite bands. Their album is EPIC. I'm not sure what genre they are. But.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]pmtoday
[/SIZE]
[SIZE="1"]Imagine guitar riffs like that of [B]Coheed and Cambria[/B], and a few leads like that of [B]As Cities Burn[/B], and when it all piles up, it sounds very similiar to [B]Fall of Troy[/B] without so many math time signatures. The vocals are like Anthony Green ([B]Circa Survive[/B]) but with so much more passion and range... There's dual vox, and they both go from deeper to the high-pitched Green style, and sometimes suddenly go into some harsh vocals... The drums and bass are dynamic, and well put together. The drummer is one of my favorites, indeed. :] They even use spacey ambient elements at some points.. And they do sometimes add in odd time signatures, and they have many tempo changes, if all that is what you're into. The songs are catchy and the just make you feel like screaming out "Wooooh!" and start dancing...Maybe that's just me. This band has so many elements. Even prog-rock. Look them up no matter what. Every song on their new album is great.

Oh yeah, they're also an indie band from Arkansas.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I hate you Prem...

I listened to Chevelle fully expecting them to suck because...how can a band with a name like Chevelle be good? To my unpleasant surprise they are really really good. On top of that my annoying friend who loves these guys is gonna see them on my ipod and try to talk about it. And I am gonna keep listening...because it is worth that pain in the nads.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Book Antiqua"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I just had EPIC lulz! It's not that bad Panahce. My friend in obsessed with Mudvayne, and we he heard/saw that I listened to them, he didn't start talking about them. And tell me, what do you like about Chevelle? What songs did you listen to?[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]