OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[QUOTE]As far as I'm concerned, a band should define their genre, not let a genre define them.[/QUOTE] I agree with this. I think to a point genres have their usefulness. To generally describe the sound of something without having to go into a very detailed explanation. But like you shouldn't just excuse a bad portion of the music just because it's a common trend in the genre. Do other bands do it well? Yea? OK that's fine. But if this band can't do it well it shouldn't do it just so it can fit into some arbitrary genre of music. Because really genres DO NOT MATTER. Whatever you call it's still music. If you write something off before you even hear it because it fits into whatever the hell genre then that's you just being narrow minded.

Anyhoo

I am listening to Drowning Pool now that Allamorph mentioned it. I am listening to Reason I'm Alive right now. I haven't listened to These guys in ages. At least 9 or 10months. I'm really diggin it.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Right now I'm listening to stuff by Modest Mussorgsky: [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0GekZl7YA"][U]Night on Bald Mountain[/U][/URL] If you've seen Fantasia then it's likely that you are familiar with this piece.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Why yes, yes I am Rach :D

We played that piece one year in it's entireity for a Halloween concert for Band. It was fun to play it. I like how they included it in Kingdom Hearts as well. It's an aweseome piece and Mussorgsky is a really great composer.

I also like some classical music, but sometimes I like when it's fused with modern musical styles. That's why I've been listening to the soundtracks from [B]Ace Combat 4 [/B] and [B]Ace Combat 5[/B]. I suggest you give the songs [I]Agnus Dei[/I] and [I]The Unsung War[/I] (the former being from AC4 and the latter AC5). They have videos of the songs on youtube if i'm not mistaken. Great songs, with neat little modern influences that bring the two worlds together.[/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Right now I'm listening to stuff by Modest Mussorgsky: [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=s_0GekZl7YA"][U]Night on Bald Mountain[/U][/URL] If you've seen Fantasia then it's likely that you are familiar with this piece.[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]Or Wizard of Oz.[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]Or Wizard of Oz.[/FONT][/QUOTE]Actually both uses of this piece are adaptations instead of the original tone-poem by Mussorgsky. What makes Fantasia unique is it's a specially produced version based on the Rimsky-Korsakov recomposition in form and content but Mussorgsky's original in orchestration since it was edited and revised by Leopold Stokowski.

Anyway, going back to works by this composer I am now listening to [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Gm7U7zTAxd8"][U]Pictures at an Exhibition[/U][/URL] The link is only for part one though, the rest is there if you want to follow the links and listen to the whole thing.

[FONT=Arial]Finished up Halo 3 and switched to Kamelot.

I was impressed at the staffing for the Halo 3 soundtrack; twenty-two piece choir and sixty-odd piece orchestra, the leaflet said. Very nice to know, and to hear. I think my favorite out of the whole set has to be the third track on the second disk, during the Gravemind section: [I]One Final Effort[/I]. It seems to be the most cohesive and self-contained of all the tracks there, even though I absolutely love the choir chords at, say, the beginning of disc 2 track 10.

Kamelot is pretty solid. Casey Grillo goes a bit heavy on the bass pedal now and again, but it's not too often and doesn't really detract from the mix, so I'm not bothered by it. I also love the strength of Kahn's voice.

However, they lack the sheer epicness that Nightwish achieves on their music. Again, not a huge deal, but it makes a difference, I think, between really good rock and absolutely amazing music.

So yeah, Kamelot gets added to my list of approved groups. Too bad they decided not to go with live winds. That would have been sweet.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Finished up Halo 3 and switched to Kamelot.

I was impressed at the staffing for the Halo 3 soundtrack; twenty-two piece choir and sixty-odd piece orchestra, the leaflet said. Very nice to know, and to hear. I think my favorite out of the whole set has to be the third track on the second disk, during the Gravemind section: [I]One Final Effort[/I]. It seems to be the most cohesive and self-contained of all the tracks there, even though I absolutely love the choir chords at, say, the beginning of disc 2 track 10.
[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Another thing Tom Clancy will never achieve.

Well, you completely got me off of Opeth, and you got me on Kansas. So Kansas, yes. :] But Kansas spurred some outburst, and now I'm on The Who instead. In a bit, I'll check out [B]Pearl Jam[/B], because they did a cover of an amazing song by the Who called "Love, Reign O'er Me". You've probably heard it... Final song on their rock opera too. The vocalists definitely have enough gruffness to be called screaming, I'd say. Absolutely, on the Pearl Jam cover. The guy from Pearl Jam has a MASSSSIVVVEEE voice. It gives so much emotion to the songs.

And as a strange outburst. I'm switching over to [B]Radiohead[/B]. Go Radiohead. Strange, artistic, etc.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

I am listening to Eddie Vedders solo stuff. He really has developed into an amazing singer over time. His voice is so beautiful and so soulful. It's amazing. In pure heart it even outdoes my favorite singer Maynard(but Maynard will always be my favorite singer no matter what). No Mroe and Guranted are really great Songs from Vedder. Whoa Mann you need to listen to this now.

Oh yea and I have been listening to Bedlam in Goliath as well. Best Mars Volta Album period. I really love Cavalettas(sp?). Its got really trippy lyrics and the overall sound of it is just cool as hell.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Right now I'm listening to White Walls by Between the Buried and Me, and it is a sick track. Over 14 minutes of amazing hardcore brilliance. Besides Prequel to the Sequel, it is my favorite song on the album Covers. And it's my fav BTB&M song besides The Primer, Selkies: The Endless Obsession and Infernal Gluttony. BTB&M prove to be an excellant band. And they progress a lot it's not even funny. (One song on Colors has about 30 seconds of music that is just vocies and sounds of a HIllbilly Bar lol)

Also, I seem to like the song Falling Down by Atreyu and Fully Alive by Flyleaf. Something about those bands I find enjoyable, probabnly ebcause its good music to sing to lol, and it's pretty funky.

In other news, I watched 1 half of episode 2 of Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and it is AWESOME! I can actually stand (And I enjoy as well) the sub. (The voices are top notch)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'm in the mood for DNAngel so I'm listening to this song from the vocal collections CD I have. [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnd_VzdDPg"][U]Whenever[/U][/URL] it's a great song even if I have no clue what's being said. I just like how he has a fairly smooth voice that's enjoyable to listen to. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I'm in the mood for DNAngel so I'm listening to this song from the vocal collections CD I have. [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=qfnd_VzdDPg"][U]Whenever[/U][/URL] it's a great song even if I have no clue what's being said. I just like how he has a fairly smooth voice that's enjoyable to listen to. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Okay, this is just damn creepy. >_> I come into this thread when my random play has that same song that you listed playing. o_O I'll wait for a moment for the next song to pop up to declare what I'm listening to. Okay... new song Chicago [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=E9PTgYc8bPU"][U]Look away[/U][/URL] Seriously though... to come in here and have that other song playing... XP

I have been listening to [B]Deftones[/B]. I really like tihs vocalist. Reminds me of a slightly cleaner Maynard with a slightly more feminine voice(at times). He brings powerful feeling to his songs. Aberinkula listen to Deftones...if you haven't already.

[SIZE="1"]Recently, I've been listening to American rock group [b]Trapt[/b], and they've fast become a favourite of mine. There's something about the style which sort of reminds me of Linkin Park (seriously, I have no idea why it just does), but better, at least for me. [i][url=http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=n6Kjo7R6Mf4]Made of Glass[/url][/i] is probably the best song I've heard so far, although [i][url=http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=wja-LjbCyUc]Echo[/url][/i] is another contender for the spot.[/SIZE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I've started listening to a underground deathcore band from L.A. called [b]Winds of Plague[/b] who are simply awesome and one of my new favorite deathcore/hardcore/death metal bands now. My favorite songs by them are [b]Decimate the Weak[/b],[b]Reloaded[/b], and [b]Anthems of Apocalypse[/b]. Great stuff indeed.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Panache']I have been listening to [B]Deftones[/B]. I really like tihs vocalist. Reminds me of a slightly cleaner Maynard with a slightly more feminine voice(at times). He brings powerful feeling to his songs. Aberinkula listen to Deftones...if you haven't already.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]There was this day where I was obsessed with Deftones... than I lost interest. They're good, don't get me wrong, but just not good enough for me. (and please Panache use Prem! lol)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Aberinkula'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]There was this day where I was obsessed with Deftones... than I lost interest. They're good, don't get me wrong, but just not good enough for me. (and please Panache use Prem! lol)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well I used that before and like...you didn't respond.

Anyway yea it's actually one of those bands you need to be in a certain mood to appreciate. Still though I like them a lot.

Right now I am listening to Tchaikovsky again. I am wondering whether I prefer him over Beethoven. I still haven't decided. Beethoven usually has a dark feel to his music while Tchaikovsky has this sort of upbeat happy feel to it. I must ponder this more.

[SIZE="1"]After rewatching Jet Li's [b]The One[/b], I've started re-listening to [B]Papa Roach [/B] a bit again. While not a bad group, I just don't like them as much as I once did, although [I]Last Resort[/I] and [I]Blood Brothers[/I] remain two quality songs.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Right now, I'm listening to [B]I Was the Red Wine of 1955[/B], quite possibly the greatest band ever, but that's for you to decide. From what I've heard so far... It's like The Mars Volta busts through the roof and landed on Underoath, after killing off what was left of The Number 12 and Fall of Troy. This band is one to look out for in the future.

[url]www.myspace.com/IWTRW1955[/url][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I've no idea how many people actually like this band.. but I recently got the Tokio Hotel CD. I swear they remind so much of a J-Rock band.

Anyhoo, I've been listening to that CD mostly.

Normally, I listen to Dropping Daylight, Breaking Benjamin, or Evan's Blue a lot.

[quote name='Shinichi Kudou']I've no idea how many people actually like this band.. but I recently got the Tokio Hotel CD. I swear they remind so much of a J-Rock band.

Anyhoo, I've been listening to that CD mostly.

Normally, I listen to Dropping Daylight, Breaking Benjamin, or Evan's Blue a lot.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]They remind me of a regular rock band lol... Maybe... the Boys Like Girls of Germany? I liked their old stuff. :]

Anyway, right now I'm listening to more [B]I Was the Red Wine of 1955[/B]. I can't wait for them to record more stuff... DJ from [B]This is Your Captain Speaking[/B] is in the band, if that'll help some of you take some time to listen. Their first song has alot in it... Jazz and blues at the beginning, to add to the progressive element of the band, then a great melodic guitar riff in the middle with all kinds of vocals over it... and then... BAM! A dynamic hardcore part to finish off the rest of the song. It's wonderful, really. I can't get enough.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well I finally found my damn ipod. Since then I have been listening to Oceansize. One of my favorite artsy bands.

[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=22550586"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=22550586[/URL]

They are pretty damned good. If you like Radiohead,Jesu or anything similar to that you should give them a look.

Well Beth got me started on this: Wolf's Rain: [URL="http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=T6Hsg-Yjudc"][U]Hot Dog Wolf[/U][/URL] Something I'm sure is Allamorph's fault since it usually is. :p However classical guitar is nice and fun to listen to so I'm not complaining.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Something I'm sure is Allamorph's fault since it usually is. :p [/quote]
[FONT=Arial]It is.

In other news, I need some REM and REO Speedwagon. And probably some Nina. But I was in an Evanescence mood earlier today, so I hit up with their [B]Fallen[/B] album.[/FONT]

[size=1]I have been listening to "Angels and Airwaves," very much lately. Particularly the album Empire-I and even more specificly the song Rite of Spring. For those of you who don't know, this band was started by Blink-182's Tom Delonge, with members of some other successful bands.

The song in particular that I am listening to is about how Blink-182 came about, which is very cool. Its been stuck in my head for days so I just keep listening.[/size]