OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

I'm currently listening to music by the Renaissance composer [B]Johannes Ockeghem[/B], specifically this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aU1cJEFJESU"][U][B]Missa L'homme armé[/B][/U][/URL] L'homme armé was a French secular song from the time of the Renaissance. It was the most popular tune used for musical settings of the Ordinary of the Mass: over 40 separate compositions entitled Missa L'homme armé survive from the period. L'homme armé is well remembered today because it was so widely used by Renaissance composers as a cantus firmus for the Latin Mass.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong on that Allamorph. :p Anyway, instead of getting waaay off on a tangent... I'll just suggest checking it out if you like choral work. It's a nice simple soothing piece to listen to.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I got off on Van Halen somehow... so I'm listening to this right now: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ju-1kn_X2w"][U]Human Being[/U][/URL] I've always enjoyed Van Halen's music. I should listen to it more often even if some of the screaming for the vocals isn't my thing. Though now I want to watch the movie Twister. I just know I have the VHS for that here somewhere. XP[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]You and cowbell's Allamorph. XP

Anyway, I've shifted from Van Halen into the soundtrack to [B]National Treasure 2: Book of secrets[/B]. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaxudK5VjU4"][U]Page 47[/U][/URL] I really love the violin part to this. Honestly, I could listen to this part on repeat for a while and not get tired of it. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

Someone told me I should check out [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOEZ1Fxsh6I"][U]Therion - Der Mitternachtlöwe[/U][/URL] So I did. To be honest, I was not impressed. It had a very flat and stale feel to the music. It was like it tried to be impressive, grand, sweeping, etc. However, it just never managed to quite get there. It was interesting to listen to once, but I doubt I'll listen again.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Someone told me I should check out [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOEZ1Fxsh6I"][U]Therion - Der Mitternachtlöwe[/U][/URL] So I did. To be honest, I was not impressed. It had a very flat and stale feel to the music. It was like it tried to be impressive, grand, sweeping, etc. However, it just never managed to quite get there. It was interesting to listen to once, but I doubt I'll listen again.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I agree with you there... They seemed too plain. Just another band with a long name, trying to act epic, I suppose. I don't listen to that much Symphonic metal. Honestly, I don't know what the term means. But, I do listen to Apocalyptica. A metal band, made up of cellists, and a drummer. The vocals are regular metal/metalcore scream/sing vocals. But, the cello in the songs is fast, and has its moments that pass into mellow, mesmerizing bodies of harmony.

I'm listening to New London Fire right now. I can't tell if they're a new band or old one, but they sound great. They have the eighties technopop feel mixed in with elements of other kinds of pop and rock. They do have a good original sound, but they're similiar to bands like Anberlin, The Killers, and Jimmy Eat World, if it was mixed with 80's music.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

I've been getting into some Death Metal recently, particularly local acts around Columbia, SC such as [b]Because of This[/b] and [b]Tales of the Black Freighter[/b] (who's singer I've become friends with). Both are very good, and I enjoy my city's local sound more than others because of the emphasis Columbia's metal vocalists put on their deep, harsher vocals rather than the high-pitched, often annoying, screeches and screams popular else where.

I've also become a fan of [b]Born of Osiris[/b], particularly the song [b]"Bow Down"[/b].

Apart from that, I've started to listen to more [b]Johnny Cash[/b], downloading a small cashe of his greatest hits after watching [b]Walk The Line[/b] again. I'm impressed by the work he did near the end of his life. Songs like [b]"Hurt"[/b] and [b]"God's Gonna Cut You Down"[/b] really hit me well. I'm also enjoying some of his more classic songs like [b]"Ring of Fire"[/b] and [b]"Cocaine Blues"[/b].[/color][/size]

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]

I've been getting into some Death Metal recently, particularly local acts around Columbia, SC such as [b]Because of This[/b] and [b]Tales of the Black Freighter[/b] (who's singer I've become friends with). Both are very good, and I enjoy my city's local sound more than others because of the emphasis Columbia's metal vocalists put on their deep, harsher vocals rather than the high-pitched, often annoying, screeches and screams popular else where.

I've also become a fan of [b]Born of Osiris[/b], particularly the song [b]"Bow Down"[/b].

Apart from that, I've started to listen to more [b]Johnny Cash[/b], downloading a small cashe of his greatest hits after watching [b]Walk The Line[/b] again. I'm impressed by the work he did near the end of his life. Songs like [b]"Hurt"[/b] and [b]"God's Gonna Cut You Down"[/b] really hit me well. I'm also enjoying some of his more classic songs like [b]"Ring of Fire"[/b] and [b]"Cocaine Blues"[/b].[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Yeah, he also did a song about the Witch of Rose Hall.... Said he had a connection with her (a spiritual one, I guess.), or something. At that time, he was fairly old. So, who knows? Johnny Cash, however, Is the man. He's dead but, I forget that. All these teenybopper girls in love with him, and what-not.

Actually... it seems everyone is into deep vocals... I'm the only guy around my area that likes high-pitched vocals... Everyone else thinks they're obnoxious too, so I don't blame you for thinking that.

I'm listening to Wyclef Jean. He reminds me that 4/20 just passed. lol[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Right now I'm listening to the music from the IMAX movie Yellowstone. I haven't seen it anywhere at youtube so I uploaded the first track from my CD. [URL="http://sunfalle.vox.com/library/audio/6a00e398cc45e1000200e398f2b8640004.html"][U]Yellowstone[/U][/URL] The whole album is enjoyable and I really like the orchestration to it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][FONT="Frankln Gothic Medium"]Now playing: [I]I won't see you tonight pt 1[/I] by [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B]. This song is arguably one of my favorites by A7X. It's not really that good for depressed people, but for some reason it helps soothe my pain when I listen to it. I'd put in the top 5 songs list I have for A7X.

[B]1. Bat Country
2. Chapter IV
3. I won't see you tonight
4. Almost Easy
5. Seize the Day[/B][/FONT][/FONT]

Currently Listening To:
Coheed and Cambria Discography
Dream Theater Discography
MAXIMUM THE HOROMONE
YUI

If ya'll are into hard ballad rock, give Dream Theater a try. These guys can really wail! They remind me of Boston, only heavier and more talented.

Something to blame on Allamorph since he mentioned [B]Charles Ives[/B] so naturally I had to go and start listening to some of his works. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FTIVpHvgE"][U][B]Charles Ives Piano Sonata no-2[/B][/U][/URL] He has a very different style from what one might normally consider classical music, but he's definitely worth checking out since he's often considered to be one of the first [I]American[/I] classical composers of international significance.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Right now, what's playing is this song by Kamelot: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BkESKitBPQc"][U]Blucher[/U][/URL] I'm currently listening to the entire album [U]Ghost Opera: The Second Coming[/U] since I recently ordered it and it just came in the mail yesterday. It's got a lot of good songs on it that I enjoy.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=royalblue][size=1]I'm listening to [b]Punk Goes Crunk[/b] now, which has successfully blended my two favorite forms of music, Hip Hop and Punk Rock into a gooey ball of awesome and cool by having indie, hardcore, or pop-punk bands remix popular hip hop songs from across the ages. Awesome tracks include, but are not excluded to:

[b]Still Fly[/b] by The Devil Wears Prada
[b]Kryptonite[/b] by Emanuel
[b]Umbrella[/b] by All Time Low

and many, many more.... Oh, I'm so happy.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Lol @ the post count before my post (666).

Right now my favorite song is "When Two Are One" by Atreyu. It's a fun song and it epitomizes my feelings towards my new GF. I wanna learn to play it now. I think I'm turning into a big fan of Atreyu. I love "Falling Down" and their "You Give Love A Bad Name" cover. This band is just awesome. And it also helps that they're native Texans :)[/FONT]

[quote name='Rachmaninoff']Something to blame on Allamorph since he mentioned [B]Charles Ives[/B] so naturally I had to go and start listening to some of his works. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7FTIVpHvgE"][U][B]Charles Ives Piano Sonata no-2[/B][/U][/URL] He has a very different style from what one might normally consider classical music, but he's definitely worth checking out since he's often considered to be one of the first [I]American[/I] classical composers of international significance.[/QUOTE]

This guy is a BEAST. I should really listen to that now...

This little clip was up over at the Watercooler: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1IvsYF3QHA"][U]Samvel Yervinyan - Violinist[/U][/URL] It's from a live Yani concert and really fun to listen too. It's got some obvious little snippets from known classical music, but at the moment the only one I recognize immediately is Bach's Tocatta in D Minor.

And if you liked that clip, check out this one next. [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSrH_oqnrl0"][U]Yanni - The Storm[/U][/URL] Don't let the slow start throw you off, between 20-30 seconds in it takes off. This kind of stuff is fun to listen to when the performers really know their stuff. :p

[FONT=Arial]Right now I've drifted back over to my stations at Pandora Radio; specifically my [URL="http://www.pandora.com/stations/dbfbde428401bc93c89205ba46073f0b425ba2910f7abf8b"][COLOR="Blue"]E.S. Posthumus[/COLOR][/URL] mix. I rather enjoy it for thinking music, or music just to let my third eye wander.

It's great stuff for those who can't seem to daydream. :p[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]I mixed myself a CD to play in my car when driving to and from college, and it's got some pretty mixed stuff on it. I tried to pick reasonably upbeat songs, to make sure I stayed alert enough to drive.

It includes the songs [B]Swagger [/B]and [B]Kiss My Irish *** [/B]by [B]Flogging Molly[/B], [B]I'm Her Man[/B], [B]241[/B], and [B]Cheer Up [/B]by [B]Reel Big Fish[/B], and [B]The Real Me [/B]by [B]The Who[/B]. I also whacked on some stuff by the [B]Red Hot Chili Peppers[/B], including [B]Naked in the Rain[/B], [B]Rollercoaster of Love [/B]and [B]My Lovely Man[/B].

At home to relax me while studying for my upcoming exams, I've been listening to [B]Complete Clapton[/B], an album which I've fallen in love with recently. It contains Clapton songs from all his different groups, including [B]Cream[/B], [B]Derek and the Dominoes [/B]and a whole truckload of his solo stuff. It seems to really put me in the right frame of mind to study.

However, to blow off steam after studying, I listen to various old rock bands, [B]Thin Lizzy[/B], [B]Led Zeppelin [/B]and [B]Pink Floyd [/B]to name a few. I tend to play along to a lot of these songs on my bass as well.
[/SIZE]

I am listening to [B]Free Bird[/B] by [B]Lynyrd Skynyrd[/B] which is really sad song. It reminds me of the death of the [spoiler]Firefly family(my favorite anti hero family)[/spoiler]from the devils rejects.

I am also listening to [B]Twelve Tribes[/B] which is really awesome sort of punky hardcore stuff. I recommend this to you prem.

I am also listening to [B]Busta Rhymes [/B][B]Genesis[/B] Album which is by far his best album.

Lastly I am listening to [B]Killswitch Engage[/B]. You may be thinking " I thought that guy hated Killswitch Engage?" Well I do...sort of. But this really sexy girl likes it so I am giving it another chance. I think Eye of the Storm is an OK song. It's not so bad...except for Holy Diver that song is terrible to a degree I have never experienced.

Oh yea and yesterday I went on a Chevelle+Staind binge. Man that was a good binge.