OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='SunfallE][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]So I am listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcKqayUNts0"][U]Bless the child[/U][/URL] [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote][COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR] just got this album yesterday. Now that my head isn't pounding so much from being sick, I'm checking it out. :catgirl: Tis great stuff. I'm on the second song of the albumn: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6xaIPszwpo"][U]End of All Hope[/U][/URL] Nightwish is such a fun band. This makes the third album I've heard by them that I really like. [/FONT]

[quote name='Raiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]See this is where I get to kill myself laughing because I have the books.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]As do I since they were required for school when I was taking college classes in music. My health kept me from finishing and getting my degree, but I still learned to play quite a few pieces from those books. I don't take the time to fully learn them anymore, but my sight reading is more than up to the task to play any of them at any given time.

And having just read about them, I think I'll listen to my own copies of Bach's The Well-tempered Clavier. Aaryanna has a thing for Nightwish and though I do think the music they make is well crafted, it's a bit too loud for my tastes. I need something quiet to listen to.

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom'] I need something quiet to listen to.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I suggest if you're into Celtic music, Iona.

Their [b]Open Sky[/b] album is very well done, and rather symphonic in places. But since everyone in the band is classically trained and not just intent on banging their instruments really loud, the effect is very enjoyable.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]Tegan & Sara; "The Con."

I don't know what brought this about. I've known about them for the longest time, due to exposure from my friends and my other message board. I'd heard this song a few times in the past, and it was just a nice song.

Now I can't stop listening to it. Tegan and Sara are just incredibly adorable and funny, which makes me even more in love with them. Zomg. <3[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Right now thoroughly digging Joe Satriani's [B]Crystal Planet[/B] album, courtesy of [COLOR="DarkRed"]Raiha[/COLOR], to whom I am now rather obliged.

Good ones to check out would be either [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fp4d0rD05ZU"][COLOR="Blue"]Lights Of Heaven[/COLOR][/URL] or his absolutely tight twelve-bar blues [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwJdYzvNhWE"][COLOR="Blue"]House Full Of Bullets[/COLOR][/URL].

Man, you have no idea how bad I've been needin' some guitar.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Right now thoroughly digging Joe Satriani's [B]Crystal Planet[/B] album, courtesy of [COLOR="DarkRed"]Raiha[/COLOR], to whom I am now rather obliged.[/FONT][/QUOTE]That's nice stuff actually, so now it's what I'm listening too. I like[B] Lights Of Heaven [/B]the best out of the two so far.

I find myself going through phases. As I watch various anime I pick up on bands that have a sound I enjoy, meanwhile I explore completely unrelated music on the side.

Current Playlist includes the bands..

*note* Format: Band :: Songs *note*

Asian Kung-fu Generation :: Compass, Kimi to iu Hana, After Dark

Dream Evil :: Evilized, Into the Moonlight, The Prophecy

Epica :: Chasing the Dragon, Sancta Terra, Consign to Oblivion

HYDE (with or W/o L'arc en Ciel) :: Mission, As One, Jojojoushi

Jinn :: Colors of the Four Seasons, Raion, Yotaka

Kamelot :: The Human Stain, Pendulous Fall, A Feast for the Vain

Nightwish :: The Poet and the Pendulum, Nemo, Whoever Brings the Night

Nocturnal Rites :: Something Undefined, Pain & Pleasure, Still Alive

Savatage :: Beyond the Doors of the Dark, Devastation, Somewhere In Time/Believe

UVERworld - *Personal Favorite* :: Gekidou, ENERGY, Tobira, Ukiyo Crossing, --Shamrock

--
Also, various OP/ED's for some anime.. Including, but not limited to.. Motteke! Serafuku (Lucky Star), Storywriter (Eureka seveN), Brightdown (D.Gray-man), Sakura Kiss (Ouran), San Francisco (Samurai Champloo) and Zetsubo Billy (Death Note).

So.. Goth Metal, JRock/Pop, CheesyMetal (as I call Dream Evil/Savatage), and random awesome that is UVERworld.

[font=trebuchet ms] I got this from browsing Sara's thread on music recs- Ray LaMontagne's [i]Hold You in My Arms[/i] is such a wonderful and romantic song. :) It's just simple and sweet but incredibly sad, it's my new favorite song.[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] I got this from browsing Sara's thread on music recs- Ray LaMontagne's [i]Hold You in My Arms[/i] is such a wonderful and romantic song. :) It's just simple and sweet but incredibly sad, it's my new favorite song.[/font][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]You're welcome... :p

Actually, my current interest is [B]Anthony Green[/B]

I can't explain why I like him, but I've been hooked ever since the early days of Circa Survive when they released The Inuit Sessions. After that, I attempted to find as much from him as possible. (And there is a lot of it) He was the original singer for Saosin, (even though I still hate them, they were a lot better back then) then he played for Sound of Animals Fighting, and a lot more. (As well as doing to the back-up vocals for a lot of other bands like The Spill Canvas and Say Anything)

I've pretty much been listening to his [I]entire[/I] musical career (or as much of it as I can find on the internet) for the past few days in order to prep for his first full-length solo album, [B]Avalon[/B]!

I'm pumped for it, and I can already tell it's going to be good, just from the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIFAdQ9dZI"]single[/URL] that was released. :)[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Arial]Me again, with my usual dose of old-but-still-better-than-yours. Boston, this time, with their masterful [B]Foreplay/Long Time[/B].

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Boston"]BQifd7O_N5k[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]

That's how rock is supposed to sound.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Me again, with my usual dose of old-but-still-better-than-yours. Boston, this time, with their masterful [B]Foreplay/Long Time[/B]. That's how rock is supposed to sound.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]I see the old but where is the better?

I'm currently listening to a wonderful hard-core band from L.A. called [B]Terror[/B]. They've actually be around since, I believe, 2000 but their notoriety is pretty low here in Kansas so it wasn't until this year that I started listening to them but they have good hook and great riffs so I'm quite enjoying them.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Darren'][SIZE="1"]You're welcome... :p

Actually, my current interest is [B]Anthony Green[/B]

I can't explain why I like him, but I've been hooked ever since the early days of Circa Survive when they released The Inuit Sessions. After that, I attempted to find as much from him as possible. (And there is a lot of it) He was the original singer for Saosin, (even though I still hate them, they were a lot better back then) then he played for Sound of Animals Fighting, and a lot more. (As well as doing to the back-up vocals for a lot of other bands like The Spill Canvas and Say Anything)

I've pretty much been listening to his [I]entire[/I] musical career (or as much of it as I can find on the internet) for the past few days in order to prep for his first full-length solo album, [B]Avalon[/B]!

I'm pumped for it, and I can already tell it's going to be good, just from the [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoIFAdQ9dZI"]single[/URL] that was released. :)[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="hotPink"][SIZE="1"]He also did guest vocals for the band [B]Zolof and the Rock and Roll Destoyer[/B]. Definitely an amazing vocalist... CS and The Sounds of Animals Fighting are my favorite bands that he's in.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][CENTER][B]Now:[/B] The Idea For A Story
[B]Artist:[/B] Bloc Party[/CENTER]

This is a pretty groundbreaking track in terms of the band, it manages to distance themselves from their familiarities of dance-punk and throws them in the experemental range, when I heard [B][I][U][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYdyExUfIbI"] Mercury[/URL][/B][/I][/U] for the first time I thought it was very indigestable (for the lack of a better term) then about a week later I had came across the B-side to their new single, and I must say, it's better than that electropop they tried to replicate with Mercury.

To sum it up, it's better than Mercury, especially for being another electronic driven track, it's like Flux but with a much darker feel to it

listen to the song [B][I][U][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmcvYwBw9bw"]Here[/URL][/B][/U][/I][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]Right now I'm sort of flicking between [B]Trapt[/B]'s latest album [i]Only Through the Pain[/i] and [b]Breaking Point[/b]'s [i]Coming of Age[/i]. I've been trying to pick up the latter for the last few months and finally found a copy of the album on eBay for a reasonable price.

[i]Only Through The Pain[/i] is a great third album from Trapt, anyone who's a fan of their alternative sides of Rock and Metal would be well worth giving them a listen.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Right now I'm listening to [B]Dirty Little Secret[/B] by [B]Pillar[/B]. I got the link to a YouTube video with the song on it at [COLOR="Indigo"]Indi[/COLOR]'s site at theO. It's a good song and it got me started on checking out other stuff by the same band. :catgirl:

[CENTER][YOUTUBE="Dirty Little Secret"]cRVda2WZ7Qw[/YOUTUBE][/CENTER]
[/FONT]

Hmm...I've been listening to a lot of [B]Panic! At The Disco[/B] nowadays...
My little sister's been trying to get me into [B]My Chemical Romance[/B], but they just don't interest me at all. None of their songs have really caught my attention other than 'Teenagers'.:animesigh

[SIZE=1][CENTER][B] Now:[/B] One Month Off
[B] Artist:[/B] Bloc Party
[B] Album:[/B] Intimacy[/CENTER]

The album was digitally released yesterday, which means, [B][I][U] MASSIVE YOUTUBE LEAK[/B][/I][/U]. Although I dont plan on getting the digital version

but that's aside from the point, apparently this is the band's Radiohead-esque album, and most of the tracks are ok, but there are a few which dig into the band's roots and they do it well, along with the whole electronic feel underneath.

now, this [track] is the type of stuff that got me into them! I wish that they could properly keep the urgent feel, whilst incorporating their new electronic feel.[/SIZE]

• 3 weeks later...
Right now I'm listening to this piece here: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJVdVl0x9ec"][U]Jesus, Joy of Man's Desiring Bach Harp Music Wedding[/U][/URL] A little different from the usual orchestral take I hear of this piece. It's still pretty to listen to so if you like the harp, take a moment to listen to it.

[SIZE=1][CENTER][B] Now:[/B] We Are Rockstars
[B] Artist:[/B] Does It Offend You, Yeah?
[B] Album:[/B] You Have No Idea What You're Getting Yourself Into[/CENTER]

I absolutely love this song, it's got that great balance of electronics and the conventional punk setup, it always gets me out of the dumps, or gets me out of bed when I listen to it, but since it was used in the new Fast & Furious trailer, I think that the sense of pwn created by that song, has been amplified.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdSnZvseggw[/url] (I dont know how to post youtube videos on the OB)[/SIZE]

[color=#9933ff]I'm currently obsessed with Hand of Sorrow and See who I am from Within Temptation. Great songs to boost writing. YOu know when I like decide that I can complete full legible sentances.

I was really happy when I found two of the CDs at FYE last week because I'd been searching for a while. So now I found them and I can act like a dork. Wee![/color]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff']I'm currently obsessed with Hand of Sorrow and See who I am from Within Temptation.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I've been getting stuff from Within Temptation popping up on my Pandora station lately. Not bad stuff. My only complaint about them is that the soprano doesn't have a whole lot of strength to her upper range, so it ends up sounding like falsetto. It's not a bad technique, but I don't think it quite fits with the power of the band behind her.

This criticism is the opposite end of the spectrum as my one gripe with Opeth. In their case, the sheer volume of rawness detracted from the ensemble sound. In Within Temptation's situation, there isn't quite [I]enough[/I] rawness, so the effect of the music is lessened somewhat, I think. Still a good band, though.

[INDENT][B]Edit:[/B] Hunh. Just heard some selections from their 2007 album, and the power that I thought was lacking before has been made up in total. I think this is a group I'll look into.[/INDENT]

I think my biggest surprise recently came when Evanescence's version of Mozart's [I]Lacrymosa[/I] (from his [I]Requiem Mass[/I]) came up in the queue. The [I]Requiem[/I] is my favorite work by Mozart, and the [I]Lacrymosa[/I] my favorite movement, so to hear it done in a symphonic metal setting was pure bliss. That single came from their Open Door album, which I shall probably be buying now.

Yes. Just for that song, I'll be getting that album.[/FONT]

[size=1]Well, the [I]Open Door[/I] is a pretty good album anyways. At least as far as Evanescence goes.

I'm currently listening to some songs from Metallica's latest album, [I]Death Magnetic[/I]! It's due for worldwide release this Friday but if you're signed up for the fanclub or a special site you get various freebies and certain songs from the album to download.

Although I didn't mind the previous album, [I]St. Anger[/I], it really wasn't up to being called a Metallica album. [I]Death Magnetic[/I] is an excellent return to form for Metallica and of the 6 songs I've heard so far (and the various snippets of the other 4) they're highly addictive and sonically excellent! I'd recommend it to anyone and everyone, although I'm remarkably biased.

I'm also going to see them next Monday! Can't wait! ^_^[/size]