OtakuBoards

RPGs You Know Will Fail

Shy

[size=1]I have a lot of ideas for RPGs, but am aware that many of them are “weird.” As much fun as I might have coming up with these concepts, there is no way I could imagine any of them building much of a following in The Arena. For too long these ideas have sat dormant in my head. That ends today.

I know you have ideas for RPGs that you are afraid to launch. This is your place to post and them, while also testing the waters of member interest. Who knows, maybe people will see your Naruto/Halo crossover RPG and demand that you create it right away!

[indent][b]RPG Title:[/b] Baron Von Donut and the Granola Gang [M-LSV]

[b]Genre:[/b] Action/Parody

[b]Setting:[/b] A stylized version of our world, where breakfast really is the most important meal of the day.

[b]Basic Summary:[/b] Baron Von Donut is the world’s most popular breakfast food mascot, but few know that he leads a double life solving mysteries and fighting crime with fellow mascots, the Granola Gang. Using their vast resources and years of training the Granola Gang are mankind's first line of defense against evil and injustice. Only by working together can they hope to keep the world safe from the likes of ne’er-do-wells such as Balanced Breakfast and The Cereal Killers.

Also, Baron Von Donut is a giant, anthropomorphic donut.

[center]* * * * *[/center]

[b]RPG Title:[/b] Time for Tea [PG]

[b]Genre:[/b] Adventure/Fantasy

[b]Setting:[/b] The early 20th century, loosely inspired by Jules Verne, Fritz Lang and Wes Anderson. Most of the RPG would take place in the British Empire, almost exclusively India.

[b]Basic Summary:[/b] Following a powerful monsoon most of the world’s tea reserves have been destroyed. This, combined with the ever-expanding British Empire has made tea the most valuable substance on Earth. As a result, India has become a hotbed for merchants, criminals and aristocrats each desperate to claim some of the last remaining leaves for themselves.

The Queen has personally dispatched several of her most talented and eccentric agents to the strange nation in hopes of finding a solution to the world’s tea shortage. Little do these brave men and women realize that they are being followed, and that this simple beverage is being used to balance the scales of global power.[/indent]

So there you go. Have fun!

-Shy[/size]

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Shy][size=1][b]RPG Title:[/b] Time for Tea [PG]

[b]Genre:[/b] Adventure/Fantasy

[b]Setting:[/b] The early 20th century, loosely inspired by Jules Verne, Fritz Lang and Wes Anderson. Most of the RPG would take place in the British Empire, almost exclusively India.

[b]Basic Summary:[/b] Following a powerful monsoon most of the world?s tea reserves have been destroyed. This, combined with the ever-expanding British Empire has made tea the most valuable substance on Earth. As a result, India has become a hotbed for merchants, criminals and aristocrats each desperate to claim some of the last remaining leaves for themselves.

The Queen has personally dispatched several of her most talented and eccentric agents to the strange nation in hopes of finding a solution to the world?s tea shortage. Little do these brave men and women realize that they are being followed, and that this simple beverage is being used to balance the scales of global power.[/indent][/size][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Actually, that sounds about right up my alley. Maybe we should discuss it sometime. :animesmil

(I'm not joking.)[/FONT]

[color=#606060]I like the concept of Time for Tea. :catgirl:

None of my unworkable ideas are even in a position for me to use the format you've suggested...but you know, there's one idea we discussed for possibly years that I'd still like to push forward.

Pokemon.

I would like to see a more fleshed-out version of this idea. I think there have been other ideas about Pokemon in the real world, but I liked your concept of having a police unit that is responsible for investigating Pokemon-committed crimes and such.[/color]

[color=darkblue][size=1]I've always been quite interested in the Pokémon idea, but I never heard anything about it from anyone after it was mentioned the first time.

It's nice to know that it's still alive in the recesses of people's minds besides my own, lol.

As for my own ideas, I'm in the same boat as Jeh, but I'll likely have time to do something with them soonish.[/color][/size]

[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]I constantly have a stash of half-written RP ideas, most of which never get past the initial ideas stage. Occasionally I get dedicated and motivated, and go ahead and write an entire RP idea out in one sitting, but the majority of the time they just splutter and die out.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]As for your RPs, Josh, I think that Baron Von Donut is...how do I put this? The best thing I've heard in a very long time. Shows how interesting my life is.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][SIZE=1]But really, Time for Tea sounds like a really fun idea. "Eccentric agents" seems like it would be right up the street of many members of the 'Boards. I agree with the others - you'd be surprised how many people are interested.[/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm actually working on a more realistic Pokemon idea based on an RPG The Boss tried called Age of War. After he failed to get it going, I tried it in his place, but with similar results. I thought his concept was excellent. His story involved a holy war between Jhoto and Kanto, and the five legendary bird Pokemon had the role of angels in the religions of both regions. I thought the concept was excellent and had a lot of potential, but unfortunately, it didn't work out. I'm using the holy war concept as the basis for my own RPG (and yes, The Boss said I could use his concept), which will be more realistic than most Pokemon stuff, and I hope people will be interested. It won't be up soon, though, because I've got another RPG I'm going to do first.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]At this point, I think I've lost my credibility as an RP host, so I'm not sure anything I do would be accepted :animesigh however I do have concepts that I don't think would make it

[B]HiME Spin[/B] is one I thought about doing if SD was going well (cough) thing is, it's obviously a spin-off on the anime My-HiME. However, if the Anime Lounge thread is any indication NO ONE ON OB HAS WATCHED MY-HIME!!! Well, this wouldn't be totally relevant to the rp after all - see HiME are those who have special powers and can summon rathr awesome mythological beast familiars, but with a catch. If their familiar dies, so does the person who's most important to them. The rp takes place in a school and there's conspiracies and all, but realy, I'm not sure anyone who hasn't seen the show would be interested, since it all sounds pretty drab on paper.[/COLOR]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Pokemon.[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]I've always wanted to start the Poke-Cops RPG, but it's just one of those concepts that always gets sidetracked in favor of something else. With that RPG in particular I don't feel like I have any ideas for stories, just a clever concept. If a more die-hard Pokemon fan wanted to try and run the RPG, I'd be more than happy to let them do that. At the moment I'm more interested in a collaboration than running something by myself, anyway.

[indent][b]RPG Title:[/b] Ro Sham Bo [PG-LSV]

[b]Genre:[/b] Music/Adventure

[b]Setting:[/b] The world as we know it today, only more awesome.

[b]Basic Summary:[/b] Ro Sham Bo were the most popular band on Earth before retiring from the music scene to devote their lives to charity. After several years working to fight hunger and poverty the group realized how futile their efforts really were. It would take more than benefit concerts to save the world; if they wanted to create lasting change it would require something drastic.

Using their legions of fans as a personal army, Ro Sham Bo have decided to change the world through covert military action. In addition to this, the group has an upcoming album and international tour planned as part of the biggest comeback of all time. Can Ro Sham Bo manage global conquest and groupies long enough to achieve their goals, or will a sexy U.N. Secretary General tear their band apart?[/indent]

[b]Allamorph:[/b] If you (or anyone) would like to talk about Time for Tea just drop me a PM. It's a fun enough concept, but like Poke-Cops I'm unsure of where exactly to go with it. Collaboration is a good thing.

[b]GuyYouMetOnline:[/b] Exploring the religious aspect of the Pokemon world sounds pretty interesting. It's not really something that has been explored much in the games and series, and there are a lot of different ways you could go with it. I'm interested to see how your idea turns out.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Deus ex Machina;795125][COLOR="DarkOrange"]At this point, I think I've lost my credibility as an RP host, so I'm not sure anything I do would be accepted :animesigh however I do have concepts that I don't think would make it[/COLOR][/QUOTE]Not really.. we just like giving you a hard time. :p Since your usually pretty entertaining with how you run them. [quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]HiME Spin[/B'] is one I thought about doing if SD was going well (cough) thing is, it's obviously a spin-off on the anime My-HiME. However, if the Anime Lounge thread is any indication NO ONE ON OB HAS WATCHED MY-HIME!!! Well, this wouldn't be totally relevant to the rp after all - see HiME are those who have special powers and can summon rathr awesome mythological beast familiars, but with a catch. If their familiar dies, so does the person who's most important to them. The rp takes place in a school and there's conspiracies and all, but realy, I'm not sure anyone who hasn't seen the show would be interested, since it all sounds pretty drab on paper.[/COLOR][/quote]I may not know the show, but the concept is fun. Mind you... You'd have to run it when I'm not already in a number of rpgs. I wouldn't have the time to add another one.

As for ideas that would fail? I've always wanted to do one that was a spin off of the Valdemar series by Mercedes Lackey, but you'd really have to be familiar with her books and that universe to be a part of it. So other than a few vague ideas... I've left it alone for now. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]To be quite honest, I think the ideas of an RPG only play an incredibly small part in its success. There have been games run by new members who aren't as creative as other that get further - the main problem is, players. The majority of the time I'm waiting on people to post, and when they don't, the RPG collapses (it may not even be the players fault they can't post either). There are so many massive factors that affect the games and how successful they'll be, but I don't want to go too off topic.

Though I think having a thread to put a few 'fail or no' ideas in is a pretty good idea. Whether the feedback has any basis in the real Arena is... eh, up to luck and the other crazy factors involved.

I like the [B]Ro Sham Bo[/B] idea quite a lot, it seems to be something quite creative. From first glance, it also looks pretty promising. As a summary it looks like the kind of idea that leaves room for a lot of freedom and interpretation, which is pretty cool methinks.

As for me I'm going to try a new Gifts and Curses in about a month. I dunno how This is Earth failed... can't remember... but I figured I won't let this game crash. This time round I can give everyone who followed the game a chance to jump in, but I'm not sure how far it'll get.[/SIZE]

[color=#606060]This thread is quickly becoming very cool. :catgirl:

Ro Sham Bo sounds awesome. It reminds me a bit of the never-started Wonka Inc., in terms of being about music as well as a secondary subject. I would like to see more music-based RPGs.

I personally hope Ro Sham Bo gets made; I'd join that for sure.

But all of these ideas are fantastic. I know what you mean about concepts and little else, Joshboo; I'm the same way. I've had this problem with Ladies of London (although I'm making slow progress there).[/color]

[size=1]I'm the first to admit that I don't know very much about music. Most of what I listen to is from four different artists, but just the same I find something fascinating about the power of music and celebrity. That in particular is something I'd like to explore more in RPGs. Although I envision [B]Ro Sham Bo[/B] are more of an absurdist/sitcom look at it, as Vicky said the concept is open for a lot of different interpretations so that's kinda cool.

[B]Ladies of London[/B] has a lot of potential (although I do admit that the concept is a little dry.) I'd love to explore the reality television angle to the RPG, rather than it just be an excuse for big explosions and car chases. One of my favorite movies is "Network," and if you've ever seen that it probably gives you an idea of the kind of "Media is God" stories I'd like to tell. Plus, I really want to write about the LadyBoys of London, because I'm weird like that.

I used to include music with my [B]Kill Adam[/B] posts. I had a lot of fun doing that, and I think attaching a song with a post would be an excellent fit for Ro Sham Bo. That's definitely something I'd like to try, although it's difficult to know whether the current Arena would be up for it. There's also the matter of hosting music and including html, which turns into a big headache if you have the wrong people involved.

Hopefully some other people post up some of their unused RPG ideas as well. I didn't intend this thread just to be a showcase for some of my concepts (but if it turns out like that so be it.)

-Shy[/size]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[CENTER][B]Deathman is Dead[/B]
[/CENTER]

[B]Synopsis:[/B] A few loser "super"villains all vie for Deathman's special cloak, The Death Shroud, after his untimely passing at the hands of a terrible ER doctor who looks and sounds suspiciously like George Clooney.

[B]Style[/B]: Think Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, and you're getting there. It's irreverent, satirical, sarcastic, and slapstick at times. Takes familiar subject matter and skews it to all hell.

The characters include:

Deathman's nephew, [B]Louis[/B]. Kind of brainy but not terribly smart. He's got decent skills with computers and such but ultimately he's like Rain Man. You know the type. He's never allowed near a toaster due to a freak childhood accident involving the family cat, a bathtub, and a tuning fork. Incidentally, that's also why he has advanced male pattern baldness at the age of 16.

Deathman's live-in caretaker for his son, the lovely but insanely fanatical [B]Emily[/B]. She's 18, kinda nuts. She's none too fond of Louis; been looking to murder him for two years now. She's been unsuccessful due to performance anxiety. Minor theatre background. A few high school shows. Got banned from the theatre department in college after she was caught having sex with the Assistant Director...a Senior named Lisa. Emily is one of those militant Dyke types but she still looks like an actual woman.

Deathman's adopted daughter, [B]Marie[/B]. Surprisingly normal. She's never done anything truly disturbing. She feeds stray cats in the neighborhood. Helps elderly folk with their garbage. Basically, she's a Girl Scout...and she's tired of people expecting her to be pleasant and happy-go-lucky all the time. She and Emily have a strained relationship, understandably.

I'm considering having Deathman's paperboy, [B]Frankie[/B], be a contendah. He's been delivering papers to them for a few years and eventually figured out that Deathman lived there. As if "D.T. Man" wouldn't have given it away. Obviously, he's not too bright, but he's got a good throwing arm, and loves Frisbee...especially when it's a razor-blade Frisbee.

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]
[B]Ladies of London[/B] has a lot of potential (although I do admit that the concept is a little dry.) I'd love to explore the reality television angle to the RPG, rather than it just be an excuse for big explosions and car chases. One of my favorite movies is "Network," and if you've ever seen that it probably gives you an idea of the kind of "Media is God" stories I'd like to tell. Plus, I really want to write about the LadyBoys of London, because I'm weird like that.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Actually I don't envison LoL as being terribly action-oriented as such...I kind of view it as being more character driven than that. I suppose a bit like KA, but probably with less action elements.

Still I think there's plenty of scope. KA was pretty thin in concept and the writers made it amazingly good. I'd hope for the same with LoL.

Anyhoo...I wouldn't mind the idea of incorporating music into your RPG, but I agree that I don't know how many people would actually do that at the moment.[/color]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad'][CENTER][B]Deathman is Dead[/B]
[/CENTER]

[B]Synopsis:[/B] A few loser "super"villains all vie for Deathman's special cloak, The Death Shroud, after his untimely passing at the hands of a terrible ER doctor who looks and sounds suspiciously like George Clooney.

[B]Style[/B]: Think Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, and you're getting there. It's irreverent, satirical, sarcastic, and slapstick at times. Takes familiar subject matter and skews it to all hell.

The characters include:

Deathman's nephew, [B]Louis[/B]. Kind of brainy but not terribly smart. He's got decent skills with computers and such but ultimately he's like Rain Man. You know the type. He's never allowed near a toaster due to a freak childhood accident involving the family cat, a bathtub, and a tuning fork. Incidentally, that's also why he has advanced male pattern baldness at the age of 16.

Deathman's live-in caretaker for his son, the lovely but insanely fanatical [B]Emily[/B]. She's 18, kinda nuts. She's none too fond of Louis; been looking to murder him for two years now. She's been unsuccessful due to performance anxiety. Minor theatre background. A few high school shows. Got banned from the theatre department in college after she was caught having sex with the Assistant Director...a Senior named Lisa. Emily is one of those militant Dyke types but she still looks like an actual woman.

Deathman's adopted daughter, [B]Marie[/B]. Surprisingly normal. She's never done anything truly disturbing. She feeds stray cats in the neighborhood. Helps elderly folk with their garbage. Basically, she's a Girl Scout...and she's tired of people expecting her to be pleasant and happy-go-lucky all the time. She and Emily have a strained relationship, understandably.

I'm considering having Deathman's paperboy, [B]Frankie[/B], be a contendah. He's been delivering papers to them for a few years and eventually figured out that Deathman lived there. As if "D.T. Man" wouldn't have given it away. Obviously, he's not too bright, but he's got a good throwing arm, and loves Frisbee...especially when it's a razor-blade Frisbee.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]That sounds simply awesome, Alex, you have to post this, for the love of the Force, post it. :animesmil[/SIZE]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad'][CENTER][B]Deathman is Dead[/B]
[/CENTER]

[B]Style[/B]: Think Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead, and you're getting there. It's irreverent, satirical, sarcastic, and slapstick at times. Takes familiar subject matter and skews it to all hell.[/QUOTE][size=1][b]Deathman is Dead[/b] seems like a very strong concept, but I'm worried that you have already established the main characters and their personalities. While having a strong vision for where to take the story is a great thing, I wonder if having [i]too much[/i] definition will discourage players from taking part in the story.

By definition, OB RPGs are about creating and controlling a character that fits into the story that the RPG's creator makes. We've all discussed making RPGs that are story-based (as opposed to character-based,) but it would be interesting if one could ever truly succeed.

Anyway, if you ever want to do Deathman is Dead just let me know. :p

-Shy[/size]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Shy'][SIZE=1][B]Deathman is Dead[/B] seems like a very strong concept, but I'm worried that you have already established the main characters and their personalities. While having a strong vision for where to take the story is a great thing, I wonder if having [I]too much[/I] definition will discourage players from taking part in the story.

By definition, OB RPGs are about creating and controlling a character that fits into the story that the RPG's creator makes. We've all discussed making RPGs that are story-based (as opposed to character-based,) but it would be interesting if one could ever truly succeed.

Anyway, if you ever want to do Deathman is Dead just let me know. :p

-Shy[/SIZE][/quote]

Well, there could be other characters for it, but those four mains are critical to a few of the particular themes I'd use in the story.

If there's a huge interest then who knows, maybe I will introduce the RPG sometime. Could be fun.

Guest The Blue Jihad
Well, er...should I create a Backstage thread to see who'd be interested? It sounds like Gavin and Shy are definites...

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]This is an idea I've had for quite a while, but I've never gotten around to putting it into practice. A lot of the following description comes straight from a pm I sent [B]Sandy[/B] a long time ago, however I've added to it considerably for this post.

Please excuse the fact that these thoughts and ideas are extremely jumbled. They are still just chunks of raw creativity that I have yet to refine, so bear with me and do your best to follow along.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[center][IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/mrmaul/COFCTlogo2.png[/IMG][/center]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray] The idea of COTCT is that the participants play as people playing a DnD-esque RPG called "[B]Fantasy Land[/B]." Their character's just a person sitting in a basement/kitchen/what/ever playing Fantasy Land with the rest of the characters. Of course, it is a tad bit more "deeper" than that.

For example, one side story that could be told is that one of the Role Players (in the RPG, not on OtakuBoards) could be asked if he/she remembered to buy snacks for their game session. The RP'er would say no, thus having to go to the store and buy some, however, the store that he/she visits gets robbed while they are there, and the robbers hold the whole store hostage when the police arrive.

Meanwhile, back at the house, the RP'ers start the game without the person being held hostage, completely unaware of what is going on at the store. It is not until one of the RP'ers turns on the TV and sees their fellow Role Player being held hostage on the News that they realize what's going on. Then there could be a situation where a few of the RP'ers decide to try and rescue their friend. The possibilities are endless.

That is only one half of the game. COTCT is divided into two parts: "[B]The Real World[/B]," which is the world inhabited by the roleplayers, and [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]the other half, "[B]Fantasy Land[/B]," which takes place within the game that the RP'ers are playing. Essentially, everyone that signs up for this RPG will be playing as two separate characters: The roleplayers in The Real World, and their roleplaying characters in Fantasy Land. This is the tricky bit. For each turn that a participant takes, they will be writing two individual posts for two separate threads.

A diagram:

[/COLOR][/SIZE][center][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray][IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/mrmaul/fig2.png[/IMG][/COLOR][/SIZE]
[/center]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]The posts in the Real World thread will represent increments of [B]five minutes[/B] (unless otherwise noted) in time, whereas posts in the Fantasy Land thread will have their time dictated by the GM (again, unless otherwise noted). In order to prevent confusion, everyone should put the time in the subject of each of their posts (in both threads). Once one complete cycle of posts has been completed, it begins again, with the GM giving the progress/story/turn narration/summary/description at the beginning of each cycle.[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]
An RPG like this would require [B]lots[/B] of preperation time, and a considerable amount of planning on not only the Organizer's part, but also the participants'. I'd like to keep the participant list relatively small, say [B]5-7[/B] people.

I have always been a fan of "[B]Controlled Freedom[/B]," in games and collaborative story telling. There is a strict outline of events that will inevitably happen during the RPG, however, these events are kept secret from the participants until they actually occur within the game. Now, the participants are given an insane amount of freedom to explore and be creative in the game, but once they start to cross over the line and push the "boundaries," the game will start to push back. The amount of "pushing" the players do will directly affect the amount of pushing they will receive.

Again, another diagram:

[/COLOR][/SIZE][center][IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/mrmaul/Fig12.png[/IMG][/center]

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a376/mrmaul/Key12.png[/IMG]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray] As you can see, sometimes the players stray too far from the story of the game, and at times even go the wrong direction (figuratively speaking). It is through "divine" intervention that the story gets back on track and remains on course.

I know this has been done before using chapters and scenes and whatnot in other RPGs on here, but I would like to use it in a "Game Master" manner. When the characters in the game are role playing, their own character's actions in Fantasy Land will be limited and directed by the GM in The Real World.

There will be a continuously updated signup thread throughout the entirety of the game. Not everyone can be main characters, though "special guests" will [B]always[/B] be needed. Whenever an additional character is needed in the game, it will be listed in the signup thread. Members can then apply for the role just as they would for a regular RPG signup.

There are plenty more ideas for this rolling around in my head, but sleep is calling me.

I would greatly appreciate any and all comments, questions, feedback, concerns, or what have you, because I honestly don't know how an RPG like this would be received on the boards.

[B]EDIT[/B]:

Once again, I see that someone has beaten me to the punch...

[quote name='Shy][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1] We're using something called [B]The Landmark System[/B], which is a variation of something used in Hybrid Vigor (among other places.) The idea is that the story will be going on regardless of your player's actions, and that certain events, objects and discoveries will push the story forward with or without your involvement.[/SIZE][SIZE=1'][COLOR=DimGray][/quote]

That is exactly what I was attempting to describe when I was talking about "Divine Intervention," and the game pushing back.

I really need to work on my thought-writing coordination.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Mr. Maul'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DimGray]Once again, I see that someone has beaten me to the punch...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]The Landmark System is more James' idea really. You'll see some slight tweaking here and there, but I always liked his idea and thought it might be fun to implement it in The Almagest Legacy. Everyone must join!

Anyway, [b]Crusaders of the Card Table[/b] sounds absolutely dreamy. I was a huge DnD nerd in high school, so this is right up my alley. I have some concerns about the 'Five Minutes to a Post' rule, but it may actually benefit the players since they are kind of forced focus on dialogue as opposed to action. This gives you, the Game Master, a lot of room to control the story since there is only so much damage your players could do in five minutes, so to speak.

I have a lot of relatively small questions about the gane, but it's definitely something I'd be interested in doing.

-Shy[/size]