OtakuBoards

What do you do when you are sick?

Aaryanna_Mom

Right now I'm fighting off a fever as well as recovering from a bout of my disability giving me grief, as a result here I am in the middle of the night visiting the boards when normally I would be asleep. But my head is pounding and lying down is very uncomfortable at the moment. Plus I'm not sleepy at all like I normally would be at a time like this.

When I'm feeling like this I usually end up curling up in a blanket and watching movies until I finally fall asleep on the sofa or I'm able to finally curl up and sleep on my bed. I also try reading or listening to soft music since it's really hard to not be bored while you're getting better. Still in the end I have more time where I feel completely at odds since it's annoying to not feel well.

Anyway, what kinds of things do you all do when you don't feel well?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Aceburner']Also, It feels weird to prescribe chicken soup to a mom, but on my life the stuff really works.[/QUOTE]Oh I understand what you are saying. I always keep a lot of chicken noodle soup on hand since it's good stuff. This is a little different though and ironically it ties into the thread about blood transfusions. I was required to get one yesterday and whenever that happens it always puts me out of whack for a while.

This time I thought I'd try browsing the boards a bit in addition to the other things I do while I wait for the treatments to take full effect. Sometimes I'm required to stay in the hospital as well, though that's even more frustrating since I get tired of needing to go there. And unlike being at home, there really is nothing to do there.

I read in bed all day. Being sick is a great excuse to be a bum. Though, I'm rarely sick. So rarely, in fact, I forget what it's like to be sick and wish for it. Then it happens, and I hate it.

Mind if I ask what, exactly, your disability is?

-Justin

[color=#4B0082]I tend to sleep a lot more than usual while I'm sick. Instead of 6-8 hours I'll usually sleep for 10-12 hours, though it'll often be broken up throughout the day.

Other than that, I do a lot of the same stuff as usual. I'll play video games, watch anime, read, do stuff online, etc. Stuff that doesn't require much physical activity.

Playing games that require tracking lots of movement with my eyes can be bad when I have a fever, though; sometimes it makes me dizzy and I end up having to lie down. In a way it's fun to fight it and keep going as long as I can but afterwards, when I'm lying there feeling even more sick than I was, I regret it. :animeswea[/color]

Of all the times for a thread like this to pop up. XP I actually am sick, I was a little tired on Saturday and it moved into a full fever, chills, aches and whatnot on Sunday. After sleeping most of the day I now find that I can't sleep, so I'm sort of doing a combination of things, watching anime, reading and visiting this place. Later I'll probably try to get some sleep again and hope it goes away since I hate going to the doctors office.

Oddly, for some reason, this time around I can think clearly, usually I feel like my brain stops working when I'm sick. Though on the bad side... That has made for some very, very odd dreams when I did sleep. I don't usually have such vivid and intense dreams.

Usually though I'm just miserable and I watch shows that require no thinking on my part or I sleep. I don't even try to play games since concentrating like that just makes my head hurt even more. lol

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]When I'm sick (which is very rare, mind you) I get [I]really[/I] sick. I don't get a small fever or something like that. I get like 103 fevers and I am queasy and upchucking all day long. So I try not to do anything too taxing. Normally I sit and read books or surf the web...trying to stay away from sites that require too much movement and eye coordination, like YouTube. Those movies that flash different images all movie long. Those make my nausea worse.

If I have that rare case of not being too sick, I normally carry on as usual. It doesn't really hinder me too much to where I can't perform my normal duties during the day.[/FONT]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Being sick is a real annoyance, isn't it? Back in grade school i used to hope to get sick just so i could stay home from school. Usually my classes weren't worth attending and i had a number of sick days i could use up anyways. But now that i'm attending a university i actually want and need to go to class. So when i end up sick i usually go and spread my good fortune. Hah. Luckily it's only happened once or twice so far, and it took up weekends too (which is a good thing when the counter is considered).

I think most everybody has already mentioned anything i might try doing. Really, it depends on how sick you're feeling and in what way. If you're just tired and got a runny nose but still have an apetitie i'd say indulge. Eat soup, bread with butter, all that feel good stuff. I personally love white chocolate, the white chocolate toblerones are pretty damn good. If you're sick to the stomach, then play video games or watch tv by the toilet... Aha!

Reading a good book is a great idea too. Oh...maybe you could booze it up. =D

Anyways, i hope you feel better. As one of my favorite comedians once said, "I hate it when people say get well soon, eff that, get well now."

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]I usually pick a video game and try to beat it in one sitting, or I work on Disgaea (which I still have not beaten after three years and like five hundred hours). RPG's in general are a good choice because they don't require must quick thought.

Alternatively, I have my DS if I'm too sick to really get out of bed at all. Yes, I wash this stuff off once I get better, haha.

I get dyslexic when I'm sick so reading is extremely out of the question. I had to go to school for exams in a bad fever once and I almost failed them all and got held back.[/font][/size]

[font="trebuchet ms"] I go to school anyways so I won't get parking taken away from me. >_>

But during weekends or the summer I alternate between sleeping and watching television. I use my parents' bed, which is in front of a smallish tv, and I drift between napping and waking up to some awesomely bad show on VH1 or MTV. I limit my diet to either 1) chicken noodle soup, or 2) pears. [/font]

[COLOR="77656"]I get this horrible headache's. They are mostly for allergies and tension. But lately I've been getting Caffine Headache's, which seem to be the ***** of the headache world. So when I get home, I sleep. Or I get on OB and gab about crap. But when I'm really sick I turn into a prick. I get the headache's at school usually, so I think there is something at school I'm allergic to.

Sometimes they're to the point where I feel like throwing up and I just huddle up into a ball. It really soothes me to just sit in front of my fan and reflect on the day. You see, I have a fan on every night every day of the year otherwise, I get sweaty and [size=1]pee myself.[/size]

I don't get cluster headache's though. I just wish I could get medical Marijuana. >_>[/COLOR]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Oh...maybe you could booze it up. =D[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]I don't remember the exact name of what A_M's disability is but booze it up? That would be a sure way for her to kill herself. XP

Anyway, when I'm sick enough that I can't go to work or do other things... I just get lazy and curl up in a blanket and either watch movies or play games. When I'm even more horribly sick, I just stay in bed and sleep. I'm kind of sick right now, but the worst of it is finally over, which is why I'm here, yesterday... All I did was sleep since I felt awful. And in a little bit, I'll probably go back to bed and sleep even more.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=darkred]I'm sick right now with a cold. So far I've only experienced the constant coughing, which isn't so bad compared to the sore throat and runny nose that usually follow. Hopefully I won't get those either.

But when I'm ill, I rest in bed. I just lie there until I fall asleep. It's always been easy for me because I only concentrate on getting better, so I don't get bored quickly. The bad thing about me though is that I still do things that are bad for me anyway, which would make them even worse when doing them whilst ill.

Just count the hours until you need to take your next dose of medicine. You could make a game of it.[/color] :p

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I usually end up sleeping when I'm sick since most medicine makes me really tired. But it also makes me very loopy as well. I'll do things and not remember it later sometimes, well other than vaguely that is.

Like the last time I was sick just a little while ago, apparently I got up in the middle of the night and talked with BKstyles on MSN, but the thing is... I don't remember most of what I said. >_< I just remember getting up, taking some more medicine and talking to him while I was waiting for the stuff to work again. That was weird.

Along with some insane dreams I had too. I always have vivid wacky dreams when I'm sick. Fortunately I don't get sick very often, which is good since I hate taking medicine. XP[/FONT][/COLOR]

If I get a cold or flu I just go off my immune suppressive medication and let my immune system take care of it. Heck, if it's overactive I might as well let it do what it wants to do, which is to attack things that aren't suppose to be messing with my body. Much better than having it attack my joints like it usually does. Stupid Rheumatoid! :animeangr

Sleep, sleep, sleep! I also love a good hot bubble bath which helps take some of the achy feelings away. Otherwise I put on my flannel panda jammies, my favorite pair of socks, get a huge blanket and chill out in front of the television watching anime, mindless daytime television or playing a video game. I whine and complain about how awful I feel and eat comfort food. Hot chicken noodle soup = happiness.

[quote name='Kam;796265]Mind if I ask what, exactly, your disability is?[/QUOTE]Chronic ITP [a blood disorder] along with arthritis and diabetes. Most of the time medication is all I need, but when certain conditions are met, I'm given a transfusion since otherwise, I can literally bleed to death. Modern medicine keeps it under control most of the time though.[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Oh...maybe you could booze it up. =D[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]Beth is right, with the medicine I am on, adding alcohol to the mix would be the same as committing suicide. There is no 'booze' in my home for religious reasons as well.

Anyway, I'm doing much better so I no longer feel sick anymore. :catgirl:

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Aw... no booze? I guess you'll just have to stick to good ol' fashion crack.

It's actually somewhat funny that this thread should appear when it did. I woke up yesterday morning with a soar throat and an underlying sick feeling. Unfortunately i had stuff to do and tests to study for. =/ And today i've got a bunch of class. I also only got like 2 hours of sleep last night. I guess i was stressed out about the test i've got in an hour... Still studying! :animesigh:
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#9933ff]Way to not be remotely cool 13thMan.

As for me, when I'm sick, I usually do what Lunox does - sleep and watch TV. Of course, that is, presuming I stay home at all. If it's not too bad (just the sniffles) I'll go to school. But usually being super-sick involves me hacking up a storm with lots of phlegm and stuff, and I like to rest. About a week and a half before state competition for USAD, I got really sick, so I stayed home for about three days (once, and then later twice in a row) so I wouldn't be too sick on competition day. And yes, I HAD to compete.

When I'm sick like that, I usually drink a lot of tea with honey in it, water, seltzer, etc.

If I'm ever sick like... throwing up sick, my mommy usually cuts up a banana for me, and then makes me chicken broth with rice. ^_^; Now that I'm at college, though, I really hope I don't get sick like that, because what'll I do without my mommy? (I'll call her on the phone, that's what. XD)[/color]

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Anyway, what kinds of things do you all do when you don't feel well?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Usually bed with a hot water bottle and a good book, well that and any prescribed medication from my GP, but that's just a given.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1] I really dont get too ill anymore, but if it's boaderline between cold and flu, I stay home and sleep for really long hours, and when I do wake, I usually turn my psp on, and play games, surf the web, listen music or watch movies.

if I [B][U] do[/B][/U] come down with the flu [which it within itself is rare] I manage to pull off a 23 hour nap, people say I wake up delierious and babble junk about 2012... but during that hour I'm awake I try not to do anything, cos my head would be super pressurized and it would hurt to keep my eyes open, not to mention teh pukeage.[/SIZE]