OtakuBoards

Emos, Preps and the Whole Clique team

Aberinkula

[COLOR="77656"]So what are you thoughts about the syle's and lifestyle's of people? It's mostly at school hwere you can notice these things. The emos, the goths, the punks, the preps, the skateboarders, the rappers are some of the kinds of people at shchools. All the others fit some other catagory I haven't listed. So, are you in any of those groups? Do you shun others for how they dress/act?

Well for me, I've been called emo and goth. I'm not goth, and I'm hardly emo. Sure I hang out with people in that group, but we are usually metal-heads or rock-luvers. I wear all black, but that doesn't make me goth! I find myself somewhat emo, but not overbearing.

Now our school is outnumbered by skateboard posers. Some can skateboard, but that's only like two people, the other ones suck. The group I'm in is in a war-like thing with the skateboarders. I used to be friends with almost all of them too. But it just seems like 8th grade is filled with them. We have a popular group, and they're all in it.

They call us names without thinking about themselves. But whenever they're called posers, they back down as if they weren't a group to begin with. Luckily it seems as if our group is expanding. We have the 8th grade group and a small 7th grade group. (Very small!)

So anyways, what about you?[/COLOR]

[quote name='sakurasuka'][FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

*Laughs at Gunslinger*

Ah, how I wish I went to public school. The petty dramas, the name-calling, the grouping by stereotypes. I sure missed out.

[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]
Indeed you did. All the name calling got pretty amusing after a while, especially if none of it really rang true for you. Because some of those names were really lame and stupid, which made them all the more laughable.

At my school, there were cliques, but none of us were really hostile towards each other. The goths could hang out with the rappers, and the skateboarders could hang out with the posers. The geeks tended to hang around the jocks for some reason, maybe just for protection, I don't know.

As for myself, I didn't really fall into a clique, per se, but I did hang out with some of the nerdiest people ever....all they talked about was gaming. It got old after a while, so I ditched them and went to the skateboarding crowd, who reintroduced me to my old passion for skating and made me relearn how bad falling on hot concrete feels....oh the scar I have from that one still exists to this day. I should put up a picture of it, it's pretty sick.

At other schools in my town, there seems to be this separation between blacks and mexicans. It's really stupid, becuase there seems to be no reason for this feud besides, "I'm mexican and you're black, so therefore, you are my enemy!" It causes a lot of friction and fighting. There have been numerous shootouts at some of the school parking lots between them and unfortunately, it's left us with a lot of crying moms and destroyed futures. I don't see race, I see people. It's just something that I was raised with. If people could get over this petty, illlogical ********, then we can start to solve the real problems.[/FONT]

[size=1]There's no such thing in my school. Well, barely.

There's generally a small group of us in year 11 (last year) that are considered alternative, but our form, where the only alternative kids in the school are (at least the nice ones) is full of people. You get called for anything you do in my school, having cool purple hair or listening to Manson just makes it worse.

There are no 'stereotype' groups hanging in the corners - people are just people. People band together with their friends who accept them, so you'll find 'goths' with the 'chavs'. Basically, people mix together in personalities - nice people or idiots are probably the only two groups in our school.

Although, it's only my class that has about five or six alternative kids and we don't do the label thing, really. The vast majority of people listen to RnB and indie music because of our area, however, that doesn't mean we're not civil. There's no 'popular' groups at all, we're kind of all equal in that sense. People are only popular among small groups, [i]never[/i] the whole school because the variety of personality makes everyone hate at least a bunch of people.

Often the dumb kids hate our form in school, haha, being the top of the school and highest set, we get a fair bit more crap. But we don't care, because we're twats as well, and we beat the **** out of half the younger years that decide to make a comment about something.

Yeah, English schools rock =D.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Well, it's never good to judge people based on appearance, including what group they may be a part of. But, in my book, it's perfectly fine to judge the group, or rather, the steretype of the group. Of all the groups i dislike most the rappers and the idiots. So, once again, i don't like black people and blonde chicks. No, i'm kidding, haha! o_0

Rap today is complete trash. I was listening to a rap artist the other day talking about how the rap of today is complete trash and how the rap of yesterday was real stuff. It had a message, it wasn't just derogatory bullshet about women, sex, and drugs. His basic theory was that the old school rappers didn't hold the new ones accountable for what their messages. So, to sum up (or rap up), rap is crap.

And of course i hate stupid people. Uhm... it doesn't matter what group you're a part of, if you have a perfectly capable brain and just decide not to use it i'll generally look down on you.

I'd say i was probably part of the geek sort of group. We played video games, magic, super smash bros.. We liked comics, comic movies, and all o' that jazz. And at the same time i was part of the band geek clique as well. I also talked to some goth kids, and even some jocks. So yeah, i mingled.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I am in my own group of sorts. I do not really fit in anywhere. That was the case as well in high school and junior high. In high school though, I mingled with everyone but the popular crowd but mostly hung around the drama kids and my best guy friends.

In college I tend to find myself chilling with the geeks. Watching anime, playing video games, playing card games, and abusing lame jokes that are only funny to us. HINT: Look at my signiture.

I also tend to hang out with a few girls who are obsessed over yaoi as well. I'm not obsessed about it but I like some of it. (Gravitation)

So in college I tend to stay with the geeks and nerds. [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]Junior high eh, or as we call it around here, middle school.

As far as I can remember there was only one specific group, and that was your so-called jocks "coughs" thugs/bangers. I don't care who you are, you can't pretend to be "thugged out" and you're in dress code. That's just not gangsta. Everytime I think about the "thugs" back in middle school I can't help but laugh at them. But of course I went to elementary with majority of those folk, and I was cool with them, although, I normally kept to myself.

In high school, I don't think I ran into any goths or emo's. My sister said there was an emo person there but "shrugs". Again I basically kept to myself, but most of those jocks knew me and well I was cool with them. (I was cool with everyone... Went to school with them, and some of those folks lived on my street so.. go figure)

I was basically your average laid-back guy that kept to myself. Semi-Loner? "shrugs"[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I have to say, I love these little threads asking what particular "clique" in school you belong to, as invariably you get a really amusing backstory from the original poster.

There's only a tiny degree of clique-isheness is my own high school, and it's nowhere near as divisive as it seems to be in schools in the States. We've got guys who I suppose fit into the different social categories, gamers, jocks, emos etc, but I don't think anyone takes any notice really. Most groups of friends tend not to differentiate, as they've all known one another since they were little kids.[/SIZE]

[font="trebuchet ms"] Most of these cliques and groups and 'wars' will end in high school. (I mean, if you do continue them in high school, everyone will hate you, but that's beside the point.) I think middle school is rampant with cliques because it's just that time period in someone's life where belonging is important, and people take their "individuality" to an extreme.

Not to mention the prevalent cliques in middle school are so washed out; it's funny to me that a lot of people think 'preps' are people who wear Abercrombie & Fitch or American Eagle and are the sluts or whatnot.

I think it mellows out a lot in high school, or at least in mine. They aren't really 'cliques', but you end up hanging out with the people that are in your classes. So there are the orchestra/band kids, the theatre kids, the regular-classes kids, the AP-classes kids, etc. There's always in-betweens of course, and it's not exclusive at all. It's hilarious how inaccurately the media depicts high schools. [/font]

The cliquishness came to an end for the most part when I hit high school. At Central High School, drugs brought everyone together.

The only areas in which there were any (real or imagined) cliques were actually in the more 'outcast' groups. They tended to see everyone as against them, which of course, made many dislike them in reality.

I floated. Like I said, most of the divides were dropped in high school, except for more extreme ends of the spectrum, when drugs became popular. Therefore, it was an easy culture in which to have have many different friends and associates.

Most kids trying to reflect a certain label or style hardly know what that label or style truly represents anyway.

-Justin

[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]Rap today is complete trash. I was listening to a rap artist the other day talking about how the rap of today is complete trash and how the rap of yesterday was real stuff. It had a message, it wasn't just derogatory bullshet about women, sex, and drugs. His basic theory was that the old school rappers didn't hold the new ones accountable for what their messages. So, to sum up (or rap up), rap is crap.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=crimson]10 miles wide, one inch deep (You get boosted an extra 9 miles, congratulations). Your opinion is best applied to mainstream rap, and according to most people 'in the know' and who are 'crazy cool to the max' mainstream music usually consists of what is marketable to the broadest audience possible. The independent, underground rappers that exist in the United States and the United Kingdom (primarily) rap on a wide variety of issues that touch political, religious, socioeconomic, and philosophical topics. Rap music is a very broad field of sounds and messages. What is popular is unfortunate, but it is simply popular.

So asterisk yourself and make the necessary addition of "mainstream" before "rap".

I don't really know what clique I was in school. I made good grades. I liked things. Other people didn't like the same things. We differed.

Life went on. Some of them are drop outs. Some of them are in college. Some of them are dead.

Life still goes on in college. I take pleasure in the fact that I will not need to know these people for an extremely lengthy amount of time unless I want to.

It is a liberating way to go about your business.[/color]

[size=1]My secondary school had labels while I was there and still does now while my sister's there. The two most prevelant are the Chavs and Emos I'm told. Either way, I don't really care about that stuff.

My self analysis is that I'm too weird to be normal and too normal to be weird and I stand by that. That works for all groups/labels/whatever too. In me there's (I'm sure) some aspect of any label you can possibly imagine but I don't really fit any one group too well. I'm kind of in the middle of it all in my own little world.

Sure I had a group of main friends that I stuck with all through School who sometimes may have labelled themselves or eachother but I never really got in on that whole train. Too much effort to gain and maintain a label without faking it.[/size]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="3"]I hate the labeling in my school. I don't see it much where I go but that dosn't mean its not there. What do I belong to, only one group, Ninjurai! The production company that started last year with my friends media project. Currently working on a movie series; Shadow Hunter: Enter the Ninja, and soon a web tv series; 30 Minutes of Random. *end of promo*[/SIZE][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]There's no such thing in my school. Well, barely.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Well when I was in Junior High and High School... There wasn't much in the way of groups at the school I went to. Other than one exception that I remember quite well. And that was the question of whether or not the person was LDS/Mormon or not. No matter how much anyone would deny it, I clearly remember being taught by both my parents and teachers at church to avoid others who were not a member. Though that just opened up my questioning things and eventually refusing to be a member of the church.

But really, that's the only one I remember, the ones who once they found out you weren't a Mormon and that you weren't going to become one, they wouldn't give you the time of day for nothing. Though that too just made me wonder what the hell I was a part of. Especially when that snobbery would extend to your friends who weren't LDS. I wasn't about to ignore them over something so trivial.

Anyway, I'm sure the other groups existed, but there wasn't really any friction between them so you didn't give it any thought if someone was listing to rap, skateboarding or dressed in black.

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]10 miles wide, one inch deep (You get boosted an extra 9 miles, congratulations). Your opinion is best applied to mainstream rap, and according to most people 'in the know' and who are 'crazy cool to the max' mainstream music usually consists of what is marketable to the broadest audience possible. The independent, underground rappers that exist in the United States and the United Kingdom (primarily) rap on a wide variety of issues that touch political, religious, socioeconomic, and philosophical topics. Rap music is a very broad field of sounds and messages. What is popular is unfortunate, but it is simply popular.

So asterisk yourself and make the necessary addition of "mainstream" before "rap".
[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I get yo point (hah, i'm already talkin' ghetto), but i was just repeating what i heard from the other rap artist, so i don't really need to add the little asterisk. As for my own opinion that preceded his, sure i'll throw in the asterisk there, slightly modified. I don't know that there is or isn't good rap out there today but do find it hard to believe there's nobody out there doing it right. So, i should say, to my experience all rap is crap, especially today's.

[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Gunslinger'][COLOR=#776560]So what are you thoughts about the syle's and lifestyle's of people? It's mostly at school hwere you can notice these things. The emos, the goths, the punks, the preps, the skateboarders, the rappers are some of the kinds of people at shchools. All the others fit some other catagory I haven't listed. So, are you in any of those groups? Do you shun others for how they dress/act?[/COLOR][/quote] [IMG]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2738/awjeeznotagainvi7.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='The13thMan][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic] Rap today is complete trash. I was listening to a rap artist the other day talking about how the rap of today is complete trash and how the rap of yesterday was real stuff. It had a message, it wasn't just derogatory bullshet about women, sex, and drugs. His basic theory was that the old school rappers didn't hold the new ones accountable for what their messages. So, to sum up (or rap up), rap is crap. [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote] [IMG]http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/2738/awjeeznotagainvi7.jpg[/IMG]

Come on guys, you're [I]killing[/I] me!

Damn, junior high for me sucked ****! I went to a private school and man did I despise it. It was all about God and how to purify yourself in whatever damn activites that you did. Not to be offensive to anyone who is Christian it's just that it felt like I was sufficating. Besides that now I'm in high school and loving it, I guess that most people though that I was either emo or goth. I mean, I'm not entirely emo, I just like to dress the way I feel like it. I'm not goth either I just like to wear a lot of black and tight pants and chains and stuff. I would like to consider myself a punk-rocker. The people that I mostly hang out with are people you would less likely to see me with. I hang out with friends that came from the private school and we all have fun together talking and what not. One of my friends is a skater but he's not a poser or any **** like that other guys. I have a football player as one of my friends, a marching band memeber, two really good friends of mine, an annoying-joketelling friend, an idiot, a geek[not really we just call him that], and my sister who is the total oppisite of me. Yeah, that's pretty much my group but I do hang out with my other friends that I made at school. So I guess that I'm just a punk-rocker with a different group of friends that you wouldn't see meet.

[size=1]In my school, there only real "clique" is the so-called popular people. Everyone else just sort of hangs out with whoever, because they don't care who they're seen with.

All my friends tend to either be gay, a vegetarian, or a hardcore weed fiend. It's fun to eat bacon in front of my veg friends. :)[/size]

[quote name='Fyxe'][size=1]In my school, there only real "clique" is the so-called popular people. Everyone else just sort of hangs out with whoever, because they don't care who they're seen with.

All my friends tend to either be gay, a vegetarian, or a hardcore weed fiend. It's fun to eat bacon in front of my veg friends. :)[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]That's kind of how myschool is. We don't really have definitive cliques. People just talk to who they talk to It helps that my school is so insanely lazy - we don't have the energy to hate each-other XD.

The only time you see any real seperation is in the courtward were everyone hands out - there's one area where the goth kids and more strange nerds collect and that's where I hang out and on the other side of a large tree is where the more conventional nerds (NARUTARDS) hang out, and they interact with the former. Therre is a mass of popular/emo/whateverthehellyoucallthems to the side and just looking at them you can tell they're talking about something stupid o myspace XD

However everyone seems to know everyone regardless of atyle or whaever and I see people talking to each other who I'd never expect to see doing so, so yah. I guess black kids kind of form a clique since most of them don't hang out with white people, but there's a pretty good amount of nerdy black dudez who I roll with too.

Laaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiid back :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="77656"]Well, there is one kid in the skateboarder group that I see eye-to-eye with, even though we don't talk often. Saw him today when I was Bowling, he nodded I nodded back. All the other skateboarders call me gay. As for me, I've been friends with someone in every clique a tleast one. I used to be friends with almost all of thw skateboarders. And being around one of them made me act perverted (not act, as much as influenced)

I was popular in like 2nd & 3rd grade. Than in 4th and 5th grade I was a nobody, then in 6th grade I was popular a tiny bit and so on. Now in 8th grade a lot of people hate me, but some of the others are nice. Some of the popular girls talk to me.

I jsut wish I was friends with at least 1 person in every group so I could have connections with each group. Become monotinous for befriending someone of every group would be great. In fact, that was me in 6th grade. Than 7th...

[/COLOR]