OtakuBoards

No More LOL

conpiracymonki

[size=1]
[b][URL="http://www.nomorelol.com/"]http://www.nomorelol.com/[/URL][/b]

[URL="http://www.nomorelol.com/"][img]http://centraldigit.com/loi2.jpg[/img][/url]

Ok so I recently just clicked on that site and I thought it was kinda amusing (enough to warrant a "loi") and thought I'd bring it here for whatever reason lol.

I remember when I first started using the internet, 'lol' seemed so weird and I told myself I'd never catch myself ever using it so long as 'haha' and 'hehe' were useable. Then I think once I started frequently using AIM to chat to a whole bunch of OB users, eventually (more like immediately, I'm weak-willed) I broke down to the point I use it as a [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_stop"][i]fullstop[/i]-substitute[/URL].

But more to the point..
how often do you guys use lol?
do you ever find yourself saying it just to be saying it?
do you have a certain level of funniness beyond which it's consciously decided that 'lol' simply will not do, forcing you to reach for the more drastic [i]lmao/rofl[/i] derivatives?
how easily do you get used to all the new popping up acronyms lol ("loi" still looks damn weird to me)?

Discuss :catgirl:[/size]

I stopped reading after the site said "pwnage".

The meaning and even pronunciation of words have always changed, and now it's happening on the internet for the first time and faster. But everything's faster on the net. It's all the communication we've had for centuries ramped up to hyperspeed. A lot people, like the guy who made that site, just refuse to accept this, that's all.

[FONT=Arial]I don't bother with lol because it doesn't even feel like laughing. I do occasionally use [B]lolwut[/B] ? a partially stupid laugh made in embarrassed or utter confusion.

Rofl I use because it feels funny when said. Plus, I like the idea of roffling. :D

(rofflecoptors make me reach for my howitzer. lollerskates earn uzis.)[/FONT]

I use lol a lot. In fact, I notice that in AIM/YIM/MSNM/any Messenger, I use lol at least in every other IM. But why do I use it? I dunno lol. lol whoops. o shi-

But I think I have divided my ways of usage into these parts. When I use lol, either I:

-don't care about what you just IMed me about, therefore I said lol as a filler
-wasn't paying attention
-thought it was funny, but mildly funny
-actually lol'd irl, in which I'll say "lol I lol'd irl ='("
-just used a phrase that I always incorporate lol with. A.k.a. "omg lol", "lol i dunnoe", "lol wut?", etc.
-was tired of spamming rofl, lmao, LOL, or something.
Or,
-felt like using an lol as the end of the sentence because I was sick or ending my IMs with emoticons or periods.

When I use lol, as stated above, it's usually not funny. But what about roflcopter, lollerskates, and all of those fun stuff? How do they compare? For me, it usually goes like this. Aka what do I mean when I say the bolded lol.

[b]lol or haha[/b] - Usually not funny.
[b]lolololool[/b] - You're most likely acting stupid or speading rainbows of lulz all over my chatbox, so I'll try to do the same to you.
[b]lulz[/b] - You referenced *chan.
[b]rofl[/b] - Funny.
[b]lmao[/b] - Wow, that was actually pretty awesome.
[b]lmfao[/b] - Your joke was good. I like.
[b]LOL[/b] - Incredible, you're so hilarious, I'm using caps lock.
[b]ROFLMAO ZEDONG[/b] - Unless you referenced Academic Decathlon, then you probably made such a brilliant joke, I probably did roll on the floor laughing my a** off, while typing in caps lock.

going back to the first post, it's right.
I don't like to be a hypocrite and use "lol" , the only time i use it is... well not really ever. I am however pretty good at pickup lines. but that's not the point. like konata, only when it's not funny. especially when it's gone this far to use it in real life. or saying something like you are meaner that shift colon dash left parenthesis. I think it's odd or "unescessary".

[COLOR="Purple"]Well... here's how I use it.
I never use 'lol', usually 'Lol.' Because I have a grammar hang-up. 'LOL' when something actually makes me laugh, LMAO when I'm actually laughing uncontrollably. 'Haw.' when it just makes me smile or something.
I wish I didn't, but 'Hahahaha!' looks so idiotic to me that I'm left with no choice.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic]I only use internet acronyms when i want to mock people who actually use them.

Hah - Humorous, though maybe not "lol" funny.
Haha - Pretty good.
Hahaha - You get the effin' idea, the more "ha"s on the end of the thing the funnier i think it is.

I usually straight up tell somebody if i actually laugh. Then i give them many kudos and shove lollipops and popsicles up their arsses. It's all in good fun.

[SIZE="1"]stfu[/SIZE]
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='The13thMan'][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Century Gothic] Then i give them many kudos and shove lollipops and popsicles up their arsses. It's all in good fun.

[SIZE=1]stfu[/SIZE]
[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

[COLOR=Purple]Popsicles? That sounds really, really cold.
Lollipops? Sticky.

Anyway, 'Lol' is a hard habit to break. Once you've started using it, it's hard to stop. At least, for me it was. Besides that, sometimes you just need something to say when there really isn't anything to say.
[/COLOR]

[size=1]I'm proud to say that I have never ever once in my entire life typed those god awful three letters. I occasionally say in with my friends in real life to take the piss of something but otherwise I absolutely loathe and depise the use of it. It's very irritating, especially in the cases you guys are talking about when something isn't actually funny and didn't make you laugh and you're just using it for lack of anything better. ¬_¬[/size]

Sure I use it. How often? Don't know. I don't really pay attention to how often I use a phrase like that. Usually if I do it's because the conversation is on some level amusing. When something is really funny, I tend to use hehe or haha instead though. Since usually at that point I really did laugh out loud.

[quote name='Konata']I use lol a lot. In fact, I notice that in AIM/YIM/MSNM/any Messenger, I use lol at least in every other IM. But why do I use it? I dunno lol. lol whoops. o shi-[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]This made me lol. And I actually mean that. :o

When I first started visiting forums and using instant messengers I never used lol at all. Then some time after I joined OB and started chatting with various people from here I caught it and used it progressively more often. Then finally I realized that half the time I wasn't actually laughing when I used it and decided that was enough of that. I dropped it almost entirely except for times when I'm actually laughing and instead started using heh or ha instead; these are more accurate of what I actually do when something is funny but not enough to make me really laugh.

Also of note, I stopped using as many smilies around the same time. I kind of decided I'd rather get my emotions across through writing rather than relying on them. Now I usually only use smilies when I'm being humorous or sarcastic.

I still use lolz in stupid humor situations though. Like for the kind of stuff I'd roll my eyes or shake my head at with an amused sigh.

For IM filler I always preferred the :p smiley though. Or just not typing anything at all and letting the conversation hang. That's always good too.[/color]

[color=#CC0066][font=tahoma][size=2]I'm guilty of using lol quite a lot. And occasionally rofl copter kicks in and I use rofl or lmao when something is extremely funny. It honestly doesn't bug me at all, and I only use it when I'm actually laughing or think something is funny. If it's not, well then you just get the "...." comment and silence. lol expresses a mediocre funny while LOL is a hardcore laugh. They all have their meanings.

Personally lmao is my favorite.

[size=1]LOLUROXMYSOXOFFXOXO![/size][/color][/font][/size]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I use it, and if anything, even if what was said wasn't really funny, it's a good indicator that I'm at least finding the conversation amusing on some level. If something really makes me laugh, I tend to use something else though, like haha, or hehe. For the most part I don't really think about it. :p[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
I rarely use this "lol" since I rarely talk online nowadays. ^_^' But...I don't think I've ever read anything to the point where I have gone to lmao/rofl, or at leats when i was talking to someone, usually its something I read....that no one I know has even heard of. -_-'