OtakuBoards

Your rules suck, Daddy! I'm suing!

Sangome

[SIZE="1"]I'm sure most of us here have experienced the parental punishment known as "grounding" at one point in our lives. Some of us slammed doors, screamed and cried, tried to negotiate out of it, or merely quietly went off without another word. But apparently, for a 12-year-old-girl in Quebec, none of those are enough. So what does she do? Why, she sues her father for grounding her.

[url]http://www.parentdish.com/2009/04/08/daughter-wins-lawsuit-against-father-over-punishment/[/url]

And the best part? [B]She won.[/B] Then the father appealed. She won [I]again[/I]. A second appeal is currently being considered.

The father obviously has no power over his child...while the child needs to be scared into submission and told to shut up every once in awhile. Oh wait -- she might sue me, too, for intimidation. Or something.

I leave the rest to you guys.[/SIZE]

[font=trebuchet ms] So many things confuse me about this.

Why was this case even accepted? How does the child's lawyer live with himself? How much money does he make doing stuff like this? How bitter is the mom to have let this happen? Why are 12-year-olds obsessed with chat rooms? They aren't even that exciting? At least, to me?[/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] So many things confuse me about this.

Why was this case even accepted? How does the child's lawyer live with himself? How much money does he make doing stuff like this? How bitter is the mom to have let this happen? Why are 12-year-olds obsessed with chat rooms? They aren't even that exciting? At least, to me?[/font][/QUOTE]

In response to the mother part, they are divorced.

Really, why even have a case like that, she won maybe gets money, but from her father! what has it gotten to, is she going to go live with her mom? And who got her the lawyer? The mother?

[quote name='Haku877']In response to the mother part, they are divorced.

Really, why even have a case like that, she won maybe gets money, but from her father! what has it gotten to, is she going to go live with her mom? And who got her the lawyer? The mother?[/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] I know, but I read that in Quebec you need a "tutor" to let you go into a case like that since the girl is underaged, so it was most likely her mother.

Also I'm pretty sure she didn't get $, and the lawyer was the one who handled the divorce between the girl's parents. [/font]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms]Also I'm pretty sure she didn't get $, and the lawyer was the one who handled the divorce between the girl's parents. [/font][/QUOTE]

That lawyer must be one happy camper...

But ARGH! What has law and justice been reduced to?! Children suing their own parents for grounding them?! This is just rediculous!

[SIZE="1"]Wow, I thought it was bad enough that people sue each other left and right for the stupidest things already. But to see a kid sueing her own parent...something is seriously wrong with people. I don't understand how the girl won, and why the case was actually taken seriously.

I say she needs to be spanked, with a wooden spatula, and I'd be happy to do it. Then she'd sue for being beaten. Brat.[/SIZE]

The father should file a compensatory suit for room, board, and foodstuffs. Just to round out this crazy circle.

In all seriousness I suppose this was bound to come around. It's the world we live in. There is no control for parents these days. They have no power. You can't even spank kids anymore. They don't learn discipline or respect. Teachers can paddle them, so they get suspended or detention or whatever the Hell. Parents find out and can't beat the fear into them, and 'ground' them. These increasingly-rebellious teens and preteens see all the "Whateva, whateva, I do what I want!" shenanigans on TV and in movies, and it influences [read: suggests, not makes] them to act out.

I can promise you, "NO INTARNETZ" would be far more effective if a brainduster was promptly applied the moment resistance reared its ugly head.

On the other side, the mother needs to grow the eff up. Scorned over a divorce, burned in a custody case, she parades this lawsuit as a way to one-up her ex-husband. Dandy. One thing to trounce your ex or a coworker who steals your favorite parking spot. It is quite another issue to embattle [b]the father of your goddamn child[/b] over something as trivial as "But I said Suzie Q could go to the zoo with her friends."

>:[

Why was this accepted into the court process? Was the judge magistrate bored? Did the judge have a rained-out golf game? Is this really what you want to stoop to in order to put another decision in your ballot promotion, or case resume? Is it worth destroying the moral fiber of a young citizen, and those around her? Is it worth it to fuel the argumentative flames of two divorcées and, in the process of using their shared daughter as a trench mortar, ruin their relationship with their child?

Am I the only one who gets this at eleven at night and after a twelve-hour shift at work? Why did an ELECTED COURT ADMINISTRATOR allow this to deface the Canadian judicial system?

WHY IS THIS NEWS?!

Anyway. Seriously. Could someone [i]not[/i] have an idea of what this could reach into if allowed to continue? Is there some constitutional right here that I'm missing? The sixty-seventh amendment that lets kids sue their parents?

Because, when I was growing up, it wasn't exactly a crime against nature to make your kid cut his own switch. I did it many times. And deserved it. So why, in less than ten years of development, did it come to this.

You freakin' leftwing yuppies are responsible for this. You let this 'child abuse' crap turn "discipline" in to "assault and battery." I hope you all are happy. Now you are going to get sued by your sixteen year olds for making them eat peas that one time when they were nine, or else no dessert.

Kiss my ***.

[spoiler]This was fun. All joking and comedic ranting aside, I do feel this is a product of our times. Something needs to be done, because the moral fiber of our world is degrading quickly, and it's not Grand Theft Auto or MTV. It's the home life, and parents. Or lack thereof.

Food for thought?...

Chewing at least?[/spoiler]

[quote name='Chaos']
[spoiler]This was fun. All joking and comedic ranting aside, I do feel this is a product of our times. Something needs to be done, because the moral fiber of our world is degrading quickly, and it's not Grand Theft Auto or MTV. It's the home life, and parents. Or lack thereof.

Food for thought?...

Chewing at least?[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[font=trebuchet ms] Each older generation always thinks the younger generation is degrading the moral fiber of our world. Something to think about.

Sometimes I feel like while many teenagers have become lazier/brattier/more selfish/dumber than previous generations' teenagers, at the same time many teenagers have risen above and beyond what earlier kids did. It's just that these good things are not really reported or publicized as much.[/font]

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX'][SIZE="1"]Wow, I thought it was bad enough that people sue each other left and right for the stupidest things already. But to see a kid sueing her own parent...something is seriously wrong with people. I don't understand how the girl won, and why the case was actually taken seriously.

I say she needs to be spanked, with a wooden spatula, and I'd be happy to do it. Then she'd sue for being beaten. Brat.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

I second that to the nth degree, but take back what I just said in fear of having my *** sued off.

There's probably a lot more to it than what that article reported. I find it very hard to believe that two different courts could rule in favor of the daughter unless there was at least some evidence that the father may have done something wrong.

But that, of course, wouldn't make for as good a new story.

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"][QUOTE=John]There's probably a lot more to it than what that article reported. I find it very hard to believe that two different courts could rule in favor of the daughter unless there was at least some evidence that the father may have done something wrong.

But that, of course, wouldn't make for as good a new story.[/QUOTE]That's kind of what I was wondering. If there was more to it than what's being spun in the media. If not, then that is one of the dumbest things ever. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunox'][font=trebuchet ms] Each older generation always thinks the younger generation is degrading the moral fiber of our world. Something to think about.

Sometimes I feel like while many teenagers have become lazier/brattier/more selfish/dumber than previous generations' teenagers, at the same time many teenagers have risen above and beyond what earlier kids did. It's just that these good things are not really reported or publicized as much.[/font][/QUOTE]

A valid point. And of course, you cannot lump all kids into one generalized group as "worse than the generation before," but I believe that, as a whole, parents are getting worse and worse. Kids have WAY more freedom than ten or twenty years ago. More access to the world, and more media in which to get that access. Like a nine year old with his own Blackberry. And the proliferation of websurfing and texting through elementary and middle school is only going to make them bolder.

The ability and availability of such things is a clear lose of control and focus on the parent's part, but that is merely a symptom, not the problem. The problem is the [b]lack[/b] of ability to correct the situation without harsh(er?) discipline. For the very first time in...history, parents are losing the ability to physically reprimand their children without fear of being arrested when the kid calls the cops for a spanking. You can only do so much with a "no cell phone" or "no internet" or "no going out on the weekend" threat. It isn't much good without REAL enforcement. The kids will, somehow, violate the parents' orders, simply because they do not fear and/or respect the rules laid out. I know. I broke my parents' rules many times. And got the punishment. But be damn sure I didn't repeat it too often.

My point isn't that the kids are worse now than they were. My point is that they WILL act worse because they truly cannot be...contained. And THAT is where the 'breakdown of society' starts. Today's kids are too...squishy. They're too whiny, too soft. A good thump on the head is a great way to sober up a kid who is acting up in public. You don't have to suplex them. Just a light tap to remind them that you are the boss. And somewhere in all of this "Let them express themselves" crap, we lost that.

And we're missing it now.

[SIZE="1"]Words escape me to define just how moronic every aspect of this incident is. From the daughter, to her legal aid, to the enormous failure of Canadian legal system itself this is a farce of the highest order. I only hope that this won't lead to a precedent to be used in the future by other spoiled little brats. [/SIZE]

This is the stupidest bit of news I've heard all week. Nay, all month. It really takes the cake, man.
Honestly, what is wrong with people? I already had little hope for humanity before reading the article, but now I have even less. For goodness' sakes!

I second the fears expressed in the article that this could open the door for even more cases. Pretty damn idiotic of the court to say that this case shouldn't be used for future examples. Why the eff go through with it in the first place then?

I'm going to stop now. Holy crap. =_=

[quote name='Chaos']Today's kids are too...squishy. They're too whiny, too soft.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Today's kids need to run around outside instead of being plopped in front of Mr. Babysitter Television and handed Mr. Pacifier GameBoy.

On your other note, corporal punishment got a bad reputation because people who didn't know Jack Crap about raising kids abused it. Now we've got people who are too scared to use it because other people got the system to preach about how evil it is.

"Only in moderation" don't apply to just alcohol.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Today's kids need to run around outside instead of being plopped in front of Mr. Babysitter Television and handed Mr. Pacifier GameBoy.

On your other note, corporal punishment got a bad reputation because people who didn't know Jack Crap about raising kids abused it. Now we've got people who are too scared to use it because other people got the system to preach about how evil it is.

"Only in moderation" don't apply to just alcohol.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Of course. I'm sure I had originally planned to mention that, but got caught up in the rant. It's with anything in life, you have to control it. It's not a feast-or-famine deal, there are grey areas to it. But none at all leads to situations like this.

[quote name='SaiyanPrincessX'][SIZE="1"]I say she needs to be spanked, with a wooden spatula, and I'd be happy to do it. Then she'd sue for being beaten. Brat.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]OMFG, I love you. Haha <3 that was probably the best response a.k.a quote that I have ever read in forever!

Anyways, back on subject, this is probably the craziest story i've ever heard. Honestly I think the mother knew the judge or something. Good thing I didn't live there when I was a kid, man I was a brat. [/size]

[FONT="Arial"]This sounds like a case of mom deciding to give the finger to her ex by supporting the crazy idea of her daughter suing him over punishment merited out for her behavior. She was posting inappropriate images of herself, so grounding her for doing so after he blocked some of the sites she was using was reasonable. The fact that the court actually sided against him just shows negligence on their part.[/FONT]

[quote name='Nathan][FONT="Arial"']This sounds like a case of mom deciding to give the finger to her ex by supporting the crazy idea of her daughter suing him over punishment merited out for her behavior. [/FONT][/quote]That thought crossed my mind as well. I've seen divorced parents do some [I]crazy as hell [/I]stuff to get back at the other one, regardless of whether or not it screws their kids over in the process.

[FONT="Tahoma"]I wonder what's not being told. And if not... I question how something like that could even happen. The story just doesn't justify her being able to sue and win. I also wonder if what Sir Darren is saying about the ex getting revenge is true as well. =_= I've seen some pretty crazy behavior between divorced couples. [/FONT]

[FONT=Arial][SIZE=2]It's sad. Apparently the father and daughter don't even talk anymore. Can you imagine going from choosing to live with someone to not even talking to them -- over a field trip?

There were cracks in the relationship beforehand. There's no way that a fully functional relationship could disintegrate over something so stupid.[/SIZE][/FONT]