OtakuBoards

If you could go back in time five years, what one thing would you tell yourself?

Sara

[font=trebuchet ms](This is, of course, assuming that there are no in-universe restrictions against making contact with your former self.)

Some things to think about:
-How old were you five years ago?
-What was your daily life like?
-Would you give a warning, or an encouragement?
-Would it be about your life then, or your life now?
-Would your younger self take you seriously? (What kind of test might you employ to prove your identity?)[/font]

How old was I?
Almost 10.

What was your daily life like?
School. Lots of school. I was in 4th grade.

Warning or encouragement?
Both. I would tell myself not to blow off my work in 5th grade and almost get myself flunked. As for encouragement, I would tell myself that I will be moving the next summer and not to worry because I will meet a lovely girl named Kayley that will become my bestest friend ever.

Would it be about your life then or now?
Both, as you can see.

Would your younger self take you seriously?
Maybe not at first. But I would show them a certain oddball birthmark and all would be accepted. I would also bring up the most terrible thing I have ever done.

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][COLOR="#862A51"]"The internet will both save and ruin your life."

14 was the time I started using the internet heavily, and it's both a blessing and a curse. I could go on about the numerous positives and negatives, but I'll refrain for now.[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Don't believe him when he tells you that he really loves you and wants to be with you. He's only fooling himself. Don't believe him when he threatens to cut himself to get your attention and affections. He's trying to manipulate you.

If I'd known these things, I'd probably have never gone in the direction that I did at 17.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sangome'][SIZE=1][FONT=Microsoft Sans Serif][COLOR=#862a51]"The internet will both save and ruin your life."[/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote][COLOR=Green][SIZE=1]

So much this. Also, "High school is gonna suck. That's a given. But, you've got junior year Pre-Calc/Trig to look forward to."

My 13-year-old self would probably not believe me. I don't blame 13-year-old me, though, because I don't think, as 18-year-old me, I'd believe somebody who claimed to be me from the future.
[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][center]"Get that b*tch out of your life, trust me"
"Go to friggen class"
"You see how fat we got? Forget 30, the metabolism is slowing down at 23...at the very least get a gym membership"
"Hot asian girls, now, go...no I don't care. What? Fine, here is a list of names, but you gotta find em on your own!"
"Insert all winners of major sporting events and years here __________, now go make some money"[/center][/FONT]

[size=1]"Keep your chin up, kid, because it's gonna get harder from here. But it'll be worth it in the end. You'll be jaded, but you'll be better for it."

Although, come to think of it, I don't think I knew what the word jaded meant when I was in the eighth grade. I was very niave.[/size]

Sorry, I gotta make the mood all depressing now.
I would tell my 14 year old self just a few things:
1) On June 11, 2005, call Daniel. And not late at night. Keep calling him and bugging him. And definitely go see him.
2) Don't get into that stupid fist fight with Trenton. You'll lose and people make fun of your inability to throw a punch.
3) Don't be friends with Cassandra.
4) Don't be so tense concerning high school grades because you're basically guaranteed to get into OU as long as you make a decent score on your ACT. But don't slack either.
5) Let people know that you're not a complete hermit. Party, live it up, sneak out, get into trouble every once in a while. It's healthy and it will make high school a lot easier.
6) Tell your brother not to name his first son Aaron. It gets terribly confusing for everyone at family get-togethers.

I was 19 and still in Art College (Media), lots of homework and anime. Also met the love of my life.

Probably a bit of both, I would have said enjoy him while you can. Because guess what you are going to lose him and your Dad in the same month and you will get through it. Hard as it will be, 20 pounds lighter you will see the end of the tunnel.
Also with the next guy, break up with him in two weeks....TRUST ME IN THIS.

-Would your younger self take you seriously? (What kind of test might you employ to prove your identity?)

I would ask myself if cutting ever solved anything, not many people would have known that about me back then.

[quote name='Sara'][font=trebuchet ms]
-Would your younger self take you seriously? (What kind of test might you employ to prove your identity?)[/font][/QUOTE]

- That was 2004... Err... That was the worst [b]year[/b] ever for me. That's all I'll say. (Pisses me off just thinking about it.)

- A warning. Beat the living #$@# out of everyone that said something stupid to me back then.

- I think I answered that one in the last question.

- More than likely.

[quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Calibri']I have a hard head sometimes. :animesigh[/FONT][/quote]Only sometimes? [SIZE="1"][I]*shot*[/I] [/SIZE]

Anyway, the one thing I'd probably do is tell myself to not sign up for taking on extra work as needed at school. Cause all it turned out to be was senior teachers being lazy and passing off work they didn't want to be bothered with. :rolleyes:

Not sure if I'd believe myself, as it were, though. XP

How old was I?
14 years old. Ahh the good times.

What was your daily life like?
High school. being a nerd...a cool nerd. sports and rotc!

I would give myself both.
As a warning: I would say dont waste too much time liking that girl she ends up changing no matter what you think. Start exercising...its good for you, you stupid freak. If you want to do something then just do it...dont be afraid of what others say to you. Spend lots of time with your friends because they wont always be around. Plan YOUR FUTURE NOW!! DONT WAIT!!! And bet that the Red Sox are going to win the World Series and the Detroit Pistons will win the NBA championship....trust me I know who will win. Start playing music now...dont wait until youre 16 like I did. During your late Junior year/ Early Senior year dont beat around the bush with the girl you like...just ask her. Trust me she will say yes.
As encouragement: You are a cool guy but be cooler, dont be so sparactic, just be yourself. Practice tennis more and more and more. You're gonna be great but you could be way better. Practice makes perfect for music. Invest your money so you can be rich. Study hard.

It would definitely be about both today and then!

-Would your younger self take you seriously? (What kind of test might you employ to prove your identity?)
My younger self would believe me because my 14 year old mind was very animated. I could prove it by showing myself where I hid my most prize possession at that time.

How old was ol' me?
I was 14 and quite arrogant.

My daily life?
Revolved around my friends, books, games, and my to-be girlfriend whom I'm with now.

A warning or encouragement?
No warning because being as big-headed as I was everything that I learned over the years was necessary and made me into the man/father I am now, but I would encourage my younger self to talk to my parents more. I would try to beat it into my head that just because your adopted doesn't mean you have to 'act' adopted you l'il butt-head.

'Bout my life then or now?
Kind of both I'd guess.

Would I take me seriously?
Maybe...I was pretty head-strong then, but when it came to advice I would always listen and take it to heart. So past me would probably listen, but if a test was needed I would bring up the first time I was ever kissed and the ridiculously stupid thing I said after.

[size=1][b]How old were you five years ago?[/b]: 17 years old (22 yr/o now)
[b]What was your daily life like?[/b]: School. Friends. Easy.
[b]Would you give a warning, or an encouragement?[/b]: Don't fall for the new boy that comes into your class in the school year. Your teacher was right to seperate you too, he is no good for you no matter how much you think you're in love wit him. He will leave you heartbroken. Go to a 4 year college first then mess around wit boys. Find a better man. I know it sucks but trust me its for your own good. You deserve better.
[b]Would it be about your life then, or your life now?[/b]: It would be not to make the mistakes that I know I have made. My life now is too depressing lol.
[b]Would your younger self take you seriously? [/b]: Probably not. I would say things that only I have known. But I think my younger self is too stubborn and would still fall for the guy and go out wit him for the next 5 years and waste majority of her life away. Lol. Man, I'm dumb. But it's funny how I know she wouldn't really listen to me. [/size]

[font=trebuchet ms]
I was 14 years old five years ago. My advice:

- Write every day.
- Continue drawing every day.
- Study more.
- Start running every day.
- Don't be such a ***** to your mom.

I really want to take up writing but in a stupid way I'm disheartened that I hadn't started earlier. And it's just hard to find the time now.[/font]

go straight to college without taking a year off. take computer science in college. wait until after college to have any sort of relationship. keep up the good work and enjoy your senior year of high school. also bet a few thou on the red socks winning the world series. i don't care how you get the money, just do it.

[SIZE="1"][B]-How old were you five years ago?[/B]
I was 18 years old.

[B]-What was your daily life like?[/B]
School, and Taekwondo, I also started working out more then also.

[B]-Would you give a warning, or an encouragement? [/B]
Encouragement

[B]-Would it be about your life then, or your life now?[/B]
Between then and now..You'll go through a lot and have a lot of accomplishments you'd never have dreamed of.

[B]-Would your younger self take you seriously? (What kind of test might you employ to prove your identity?)[/B]
Absolutely not, but I could list random parts of my childhood. Or get a blood test, either way. :p[/SIZE]

If I had that luxury of going back five years, I'd probably tell myself to skip having one surgery that not only didn't solve anything, but nearly killed me in the process. It was believed that it would help my disability since usually it does for someone with my health, but it ended up being a waste of time.

[SIZE="1"][B]-How old were you five years ago?[/B]
17 and a half.

[B]-What was your daily life like?[/B]
Part-time work, of whatever variety I could get having dropped out of high school the previous year.

[B]-Would you give a warning, or an encouragement?[/B]
People are right when they tell you you're more capable than you give yourself credit for. Believe in yourself, because the only thing holding you back is your own self-doubt. Believe in you who believes in yourself.

[B]-Would it be about your life then, or your life now?[/B]
Between both. I'd try to avoid two years of my life that I wasted without anything to really show for it. On the other hand I'm acutely aware that I am the sum-total of my life's experiences and that changing any of those would change who I am today. Also I wouldn't have met the woman I love.

[B]-Would your younger self take you seriously? (What kind of test might you employ to prove your identity?)[/B]
I don't know. I wasn't the type of person to take advice back then, thinking I always knew best. Of course seeing as it would be advice coming from me to me, that might make a difference. [/SIZE]

[FONT=Arial]The tricky thing about this situation is that you have to be careful how to balance good advice with knowledge that'll irrevocably change your experiences and therefore your personality, rendering your mission of warning/insight nonexistent. You end up getting stuck in an infinite loop.

Causality is fun![/FONT]