OtakuBoards

The Mansion: Backstage

Shy

[center][table=30][tdcolspan=6][center][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/mansionbckstg.jpg[/IMG][/center][/tdcolspan][/table][/center]

[center][table=80][tr][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/poisoncard.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][strike][b]Shy[/b] as [b]The Gravedigger[/strike][/b][/size]

[strike][i]POISON: The character wielding this card will slowly become poisoned over time.[/strike][/i][/td][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/playtime.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b][strike]Inuyasha Fandom[/b] as [b]The Twins[/strike][/b][/size]

[strike][i]PLAYTIME: The character wielding this card is confronted with a nightmarish version of themselves. When either the duplicate or the original is killed, both die.[/strike][/i][/td][/tr][tr][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/hush.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b]Anomaly[/b] as [b]Diana[/b][/size]

[i]HUSH - Renders one character mute - silent and deaf.[/i][/td][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/waterworks.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b]ExcelExcel[/b][/size] as [size=4][b][strike]The Drowned Lady[/strike][/b][/size]

[strike][i]WATERWORKS - The character wielding this card finds their room quickly begin to flood with water, regardless of which room they are in.[/strike][/i][/td][/tr][tr][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/swipecard.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b][strike]CaNz[/b] as [b]The Bandit[/b][/strike][/size]

[strike][i]SWIPE: Steal one item in another characters possession. if he or she is not currently holding the item, it goes unnoticed.[/strike][/i][/td][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/shout.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b]Gavin[/b] as [b]The Butler[/b][/size]

[i]SHOUT: The character is frozen with fright from the authoritarian shouts of spirits and is unable to move.[/i]

[/td][/tr][tr][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/smoke.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][strike][b]White[/b] as [b]The Detective[/b][/strike][/size]

[strike][i]SMOKESCREEN: Using this card creates a thick cloud of smoke around the character that is nearly impossible to see through.[/strike][/i][/td][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/rosebriars.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b][strike]Sandy[/b] as [b]The Green Lady[/strike][/b][/size]

[strike][i]ROSE BRIARS - Holding this power card allows the mortal to grow a thick hedge of roses to shield them from physical harm.[/strike][/i][/td][/tr][tr][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/gloom.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b]Heaven's Cloud[/b] as [b]Byron[/b][/size]

[i]GLOOM: The character becomes horribly depressed and is filled with a sense of self-doubt and paranoia.[/i][/td][td][IMG]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/ghostcard.jpg[/IMG][/td][td][size=4][b]Nathan[/b] as [b]Angel[/b][/size]

[i]GHOST: This card grants the bearer the ability to move through solid objects. How long it lasts or how often they can do so depends on their current level of alertness.[/i][/td][/tr][/table][/center]

[indent]Use this thread to discuss the RPG, ask questions, or simply to vent over how badly you're losing in the game.

Expect the RPG to launch sometime before the weekend is over, and then each character will need to be introduced into the story before the first cards are handed out. [b]Please read the Power Cards carefully[/b]: I made tweaks to some of them from the sign-ups. In Gavin's case I renamed his card: I didn't do this intentionally, I just made the card with the wrong name in mind and am too lazy to make a new one. Sorry, bro.

- Shy[/indent]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh the anticipation! :D

I have to say that there's some great power cards in play. I especially like the "Play Time" card by Inuyasha Fandom - I can already imagine the scenarios that having such a power could produce.

Great to see so many players participate in this, I'm sure we'll have so much fun we could just [i]die[/i]. ;P

i cant wait for the game to begin as well. also i will probably be using this thread a lot... i love complaining about losing, i think i like it better than winning.
[quote name='Sandy' date='07 August 2010 - 02:27 AM' timestamp='1281173222' post='699014']
Great to see so many players participate in this, I'm sure we'll have so much fun we could just [i]die[/i]. ;P
[/quote]
you all don't stand a[i][b] ghost[/b][/i] of a chance at this game! Edited by CaNz

[quote name='Shy' date='07 August 2010 - 09:12 AM' timestamp='1281168745' post='699010']In Gavin's case I renamed his card: I didn't do this intentionally, I just made the card with the wrong name in mind and am too lazy to make a new one. Sorry, bro.

- Shy[/indent][/quote]
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]
It's all good man, you honestly think I'm going to call someone else on their laziness ? :sweatdrop:
[/size][/font]

I'm glad this will be starting soon.... It'll be leaving us [i]gasping[/i] for more XD

I hope everyone has a fun death.... The Drowned Lady will be more than happy to share hers ^^

EDIT: I'm surprised we don't have a chef or kitchen based ghost..... Edited by ExcelExcel

Okay, we're up! In this chapter every single character must be introduced within the story before the first cards are dealt out. In my post the two characters I wrote about shared a connection, but the characters you write about can be strangers or whatever. Feel free to include as many or as few characters as you would like: the sooner everyone has posted the sooner the fun begins.

[b]In this round the spirits will NOT directly interact with the mortals[/b] but you can use your Power Cards now if you want. When you attach any card to a character do it like this within your post:

[center][img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/charlottehamilton.jpg[/img] [img]http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e366/nifty_fifty/mansion%20cards/poisoncard.jpg[/img][/center]

Your spirits are welcome to interact with one another, or you can write about your ghost's history in a flashback. Really, the amount of involvement you want your spirit to have in the story is up to you. Primarily this game is about the mortals, but I'd love to delve into the mystery of the Rosengard murders as well.

-Shy

Great to see the game up and running! Boy, it's been a while since I last posted into an RPG...

I'm digging most of the characters, too. There's some real stars in the bunch that I can't wait to write more about! ;D Edited by Sandy

[quote name='ExcelExcel' date='07 August 2010 - 11:22 PM' timestamp='1281248533' post='699068']
Forgive me for being stupid.... but how do I post the avatars? I have a post in mind, but I don't know how to do it.
[/quote]
[font="Garamond"]just right click, copy image and paste it into the body, highlight and then click the little photo icon in the post editing section :3[/font]

People, if you don't start posting soon, I swear I'll introduce all the characters myself. ;P

Just kidding, I just want to encourage everybody to post something. I don't think Shy is looking for Almagest-quality posts for this game, so I believe even something simple and short will suffice, if your time is constrained. ;D Edited by Sandy

[quote name='Sandy' date='08 August 2010 - 01:11 PM' timestamp='1281298276' post='699102']
People, if you don't start posting soon, I swear I'll introduce all the characters myself. ;P

Just kidding, I just want to encourage everybody to post something. I don't think Shy is looking for Almagest-quality posts for this game, so I believe even something simple and short will suffice, if your time is constrained. ;D
[/quote]
We've gotten most of the characters introduced in little over 24 hours, so I'm really pleased with the response time so far. Some of these characters are already fascinating; I hope my favorites survive into the later rounds so we have a chance to flesh them out a bit.

- Shy

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'll make my intro post later this evening when I get home from work, would've posted yesterday but my missus is homesick over in England and I spent most of last night talking to her.[/size][/font]

It would appear that all of our characters have entered the game, even though [b]White[/b] and [b]Nathan[/b] have yet to post at all. I don't think anyone intends to keep the game from moving forward, so here's what I'll do:

White and Nathan have roughly 36 hours to make a post. From my watch that means they have until 8/11 to post, but obviously Nathan and White have their own time zones. if either or both of them fail to do so we'll move forward and I'll start handing out the various Death/Life/etc. cards. Until then everyone should feel free to post in the RPG, and are more than welcome to make use of their ghostly Power Cards.

Have the characters explore the mansion, make a few enemies, and explore their backstories a bit more. Have fun!

- Shy

[font="Arial"]Sorry about that. I ended up putting in some extra hours at work covering for someone who is sick. So instead of having Sunday and Monday off I'll have Tuesday and Wednesday off. Which means as soon as I get some sleep I'll be able to get a post up later tonight. [/font]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I hate to sound like a nay-sayer so early into the game but are we sure we want to use terms like "coloured folk" and "white folk" in this ? Granted the setting is akin to the 1920s or 1930s but I have to say I'm not terribly comfortable with that kind of terminology.[/size][/font]

i doubt bleeping it out would really help the people that are offended either... i would take it as being historicly accurate, but i can see where you are comming from and would like to keep everyone comfortable.
plus the person who made that character probably wouldn't want her to be known entirely for being racist. perhaps being a bit uncomfortable, but not blatant rudeness.

[quote name='CaNz' date='10 August 2010 - 09:06 AM' timestamp='1281445585' post='699190']
i doubt bleeping it out would really help the people that are offended either... i would take it as being historicly accurate, but i can see where you are comming from and would like to keep everyone comfortable.
plus the person who made that character probably wouldn't want her to be known entirely for being racist. perhaps being a bit uncomfortable, but not blatant rudeness.
[/quote]

[color=indigo]You were allowed to introduce whatever characters you wished, therefore, it seems kind of pointless to worry about whether or not a character you chose develops in a way you are comfortable with. Both of the characters that I created already have stories and pasts that I wouldn't have intended. It is what it is. If I want them to progress differently it is my job to write a post for them that forces them to progress differently.

Gavin, I'm sorry if offended you by using the term "colored folk". I thought it was a natural plot device to bring the two musicians together and have one feel as though they were terribly slighted, while the other is more or less oblivious to the whole situation. Besides, I do feel that the fact that the character didn't realize that she was being rude, her racism stemmed from naivete, presents an entire theme that can be played upon throughout the story. If this doesn't appeal to you I would urge you to write it out, just create a post that makes the future scenario implausible and we'll all be forced to move from there. [/color]

so you are suggesting someone who is uncomfortable with racism in the game is going to have to address the racism in writing?
it was definitely a likely plot to occur. the person who wrote it was being realistic, which is good... but if we are going to make people uncomfortable in something that i thought was a friendly game, maybe we should try to avoid it in general. I highly doubt racism is necessary for the game to work, and leaving out one detail that will make the game more enjoyable to some and hardly effect the others at all wouldn't be catastrophic.

I'm sorry, I really didn't think that the racism would be offensive. I'm afraid that I myself seriously played off of that, and everyone has my sincerest apologies. I honestly thought it would deepen the plot and give it some depth, though in a realistic way. Again, I'm really sorry if I offended anyone.

As for characters, miine already have backgrounds I didn't anticipate either. But, It's really cool how the characters can grow and become so much more than the creators envisioned for them. But, The same can apply to make the characters into scoundrels and despicable people. Still, even with this knowledge, the game seems like a lot of fun already. Edited by Inuyasha Fandom

Guys... This is creative writing, and there's a "mature content" warning slapped on the headline of this game, so a certain amount of thick skin is required from us players. We aren't writing this to offend anyone, anyway, so any kind of self-censorship is a bit ridiculous.

If people are getting offended over the usage of the term "colored people" (which is a mild term in comparison to those that [i]real[/i] racists use), then what are we going to do when the inevitable butchering and raping will begin? Death Card series has been a dark and grim game since the first installment, and somehow I don't believe our ghosts live in the sunny happy La-La Land either.

The bottom point is that even though our characters may be racist or homophobic or whatever, [i]we as writers are not[/i], and everybody should acknowledge that. This is all just fiction, so please don't make such a fuss about it, okay? ;D Edited by Sandy