OtakuBoards

The Mansion: Backstage

Shy

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Discomfort and offence are two different things Sandy, the fact of the matter is I view the use of overt racial terminology in the same way I view the overuse of swearing or pointless violence/gore, it rarely adds anything of value to a story and it's most often a poor attempt at making something seem darker and more mature when it fact it's rather immature. I merely brought it up to get a group opinion on it, if the rest of the group is comfortable using that kind of terminology I'm fine with it, as you said, we are not these characters.[/size][/font]

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Gavin' date='10 August 2010 - 05:44 AM' timestamp='1281444254' post='699189']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I hate to sound like a nay-sayer so early into the game but are we sure we want to use terms like "coloured folk" and "white folk" in this ? Granted the setting is akin to the 1920s or 1930s but I have to say I'm not terribly comfortable with that kind of terminology.[/size][/font][/quote]
I respect how you feel Gavin, but at the same time I feel like that language can help establish a character's personality. We have four black characters in the story (which is awesome) and if we're going to address the race issue I'd like to see the full spectrum of viewpoints represented through those characters. The good thing about this story is that if some of the characters get out of hand you have the power to kill them, or, as HC said, rewrite them in a manner which better suites you.

-Shy

[quote name='Gavin' date='10 August 2010 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1281457579' post='699203']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]The fact of the matter is I view the use of overt racial terminology in the same way I view the overuse of swearing or pointless violence/gore, it rarely adds anything of value to a story and it's most often a poor attempt at making something seem darker and more mature when it fact it's rather immature.
[/quote]

I would agree more with you if we were talking about actual racial slurs, but to my knowledge the term "colored people" was widely used in the time period the world of this game is based on. I might be wrong, but I've got the impression that the term is more demeaning and patronizing rather than hateful.

I'm just worried that if you're uncomfortable with such a mild term, then what will your reaction be if/when the characters get raped or mauled or beheaded or any of the numerous excessive things that have happened in the Death Card series before? You may say that those kind of scenes are pointless, but they actually [i]do[/i] make the game darker and more gruesome - it might not be exactly Lovecraftian type of sophisticated horror you seem to prefer, but it's still horror.

All I'm saying that if people will start to hold back just in fear of offending someone - or worse yet, start telling other players what they can or cannot write about - then I'm afraid the entertainment value of this game will go down the drain. But let's just enjoy the game for now before worrying about stuff like that. ;D Edited by Sandy

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'll be fine Sandy, but thank you for your concern. As I said, I'm not trying to tell people how to play, nor what to right, so you too can relax as your so keen to get others to do.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='10 August 2010 - 08:58 PM' timestamp='1281463127' post='699209']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]I'll be fine Sandy, but thank you for your concern. As I said, I'm not trying to tell people how to play, nor what to right, so you too can relax as your so keen to get others to do.[/size][/font]
[/quote]

Oh come on, I didn't mean it like that. I'm sure we'll all have great fun with this game, so let's not spoil it by starting this petty old "no [i]you[/i] chill out!" talk again. You wanted to discuss what approach we would take in this game in relation to offensive subjects, and I gave my opinions about that, so please don't make it personal.

The main reason I left OB two years ago was because people started to get really hypersensitive around me. I'm trying my damnest not to rile people up like that anymore, so I just have to apologize if I've annoyed you. Edited by Sandy

[color="#696969"][font="Tahoma"]
Hey, sorry I haven't posted! My computer completely died on me over the weekend so I had to get a new laptop (which I had actually ordered online 2 weeks prior, thank god it came when it did) so I [i]finally[/i] have it here and can post. That being said all the characters have been introduced and I'm not really sure what to post but I'll just wing it. lol

I tried getting online at one of my friends house at one point but they got mad. :([/font][/color] Edited by White

Yay, the whole crew is here! :D

[quote name='White' date='10 August 2010 - 09:35 PM' timestamp='1281465334' post='699212']
That being said all the characters have been introduced and I'm not really sure what to post but I'll just wing it. lol
[/quote]

Most of the introductions have been quite superficial, so you can take just about any character and develop their personality further, for example.

I'm loving the intercharacter relationships in this game, since those were completely lacking in the previous games. It just really helps the writing when not everybody are total strangers to each other. Edited by Sandy

[quote name='Sandy' date='10 August 2010 - 11:30 AM' timestamp='1281465043' post='699211']
The main reason I left OB two years ago was because people started to get really hypersensitive around me. I'm trying my damnest not to rile people up like that anymore, so I just have to apologize if I've annoyed you.
[/quote]

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH! you said a swear! now i so riled up!!1[size="1"] (i am hypersensitive)[/size]
i dont think what Gavin said waa hypersensitive to your response, a bit defensive yes, but i sure didnt think there would be this much support for keeping racism in the game so if i was the one who brought it up i might be a bit defensive too... maybe more than a slightly snide comment worth of defensiveness honestly.

anyways please don't leave again Sandy... a bit of drama sparks up once and a while, but overall everyone usually gets along just fine. some of us new people have just met you and would rather you not leave so quick. Edited by CaNz

Okay, round 2 is started and each of the players have been assigned their cards. I can tell you that [b]12[/b] cards have been dealt out, and [b]9[/b] of those are Death Cards. Everyone has at least 1 card, and the other 3 cards have been assigned randomly. There is at least 1 bonus card that can be earned by completing a certain objective: What that is I cannot tell you, but I'll let you know at the end of the round.

The round ends once all of the Death Cards have been used. Other special cards such as Shield Cards or Life Cards may be saved for later rounds or used now.

Let me know if there are any questions.

- Shy

[font="Palatino Linotype"]I think I'm going to bow out of this one, Shy. I don't really have the time or interest that I thought I'd have - I'm not sure if you still want to use my ghost, but feel free to if you like. It seems like the numbers are pretty solid now though, so it probably isn't necessary.

Have fun, guys. :)[/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='11 August 2010 - 10:29 AM' timestamp='1281547762' post='699251']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Well, I hope I got that right. If there's anything that needs changing Josh please let me know.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
You did great. I just want to remind everyone that your ghost's specific card is independent of Death Cards. Consider your ghost powers to be status ailments which can be used as often as you'd like. Characters can only be killed with Death Cards or some other similar card.

It would appear we already have the first death. Let the games begin!

- Shy

[quote name='CaNz' date='11 August 2010 - 09:59 PM' timestamp='1281578395' post='699270']
i wanted to join the killing children club... posting in this really does make me feel like a bad person... so lets keep it up!
[/quote]

[color=indigo]Ditto.

A thought. I was thinking that if you are composing a post (especially a long winded one like mine) it might be smart to put a place holder with the pictures of the characters that you are using. I wrote my post at the same time as Canz and we got lucky that we didn't use each others characters.[/color]

DAMN YOU!!!!! I haven't had a chance to go after MY victims... I wanted the children!

*Screams*

Rin and Len won't be happy.... God have mercy upon all within the mansion. The children are retaliating for taking their prey.

Lollipops and horseradishes! Edited by Inuyasha Fandom

[quote name='Inuyasha Fandom' date='11 August 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1281593092' post='699280']
DAMN YOU!!!!! I haven't had a chance to go after MY victims... I wanted the children!

*Screams*

Rin and Len won't be happy.... God have mercy upon all within the mansion. The children are retaliating for taking their prey.
[/quote]
I[font="Garamond"]'m quakin' in my boots.

slowpoke =P haha[/font]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud' date='12 August 2010 - 03:54 AM' timestamp='1281581650' post='699276']
[color=indigo]A thought. I was thinking that if you are composing a post (especially a long winded one like mine) it might be smart to put a place holder with the pictures of the characters that you are using. I wrote my post at the same time as Canz and we got lucky that we didn't use each others characters.[/color]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Agreed, I was refreshing a copy of the thread every few minutes before my post just to make sure someone didn't get there before me and force a rewrite.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Inuyasha Fandom' date='11 August 2010 - 11:04 PM' timestamp='1281593092' post='699280']

*Screams*
[/quote]

a second swear! cover my eyes!
anyways if you want the children play a life card on one of em... just so you can kill them again.
(i really only picked the little girl because i didnt think anyone would be as keen to kill one... guess i misjudged you Inuyasha Fandom.

oh... and the Character saver thing would be helpful. i was halfway through my post when i realized the thief was killed off... i ended up scrapping all of it.

[quote name='Shy' date='12 August 2010 - 08:25 AM' timestamp='1281597936' post='699289']
Wow. You guys really hate children and the elderly.

-Shy
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]It's like in nature Josh, the most vulnerable members of a pack are the first to be killed by outside predators. [/size][/font]