OtakuBoards

Animes, that aren't well known!

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo

I've seen the first DVD of Boogiepop Phantom, all of Serial Experiments Lain, the first 13 episodes of Utena and the movie, the first DVD of Saint Tail, the first 12 episodes (volume 1) of Adventures of the Mini-Goddess, the Sailor Moon Super S movie edited and uncut, the first two volumes of Sailor Moon S uncut, and the first volume of Magical Project S. For edited anime, I have seen: Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, all the episodes of Inu-Yasha that have aired so far, 3 uncut episodes of Slayers Next that aired on the International Channel, Digimon 01 and 02 and a few episodes of Tamers, Tenchi Muyo, a bit of Dragonball and Dragonball Z, one untranslated episode of Dragonball Z, all three Sailor Moon movies edited, and that's about it. Does that make me a true otaku? ^^;

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Kaiba's Angel [/i]
[B]I've seen the first DVD of Boogiepop Phantom, all of Serial Experiments Lain, the first 13 episodes of Utena and the movie, the first DVD of Saint Tail, the first 12 episodes (volume 1) of Adventures of the Mini-Goddess, the Sailor Moon Super S movie edited and uncut, the first two volumes of Sailor Moon S uncut, and the first volume of Magical Project S. For edited anime, I have seen: Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, Sailor Moon, Cowboy Bebop, all the episodes of Inu-Yasha that have aired so far, 3 uncut episodes of Slayers Next that aired on the International Channel, Digimon 01 and 02 and a few episodes of Tamers, Tenchi Muyo, a bit of Dragonball and Dragonball Z, one untranslated episode of Dragonball Z, all three Sailor Moon movies edited, and that's about it. Does that make me a true otaku? ^^; [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't know if you would be considered a true otaku. Maybe to some, but for most members that are at OB, I don't think so. I myself am not a true Otaku. Some may agree, and vice versa. Although, the reall Japanese meaning of otaku really has nothing to do with anime, it just has come to express an anime fan that has no life except anime and stays inside secluded in his home watching anime.

But back on topic... Umm there are a lot of animes that aren't well known. As for Love Hina... I doubt it, on the boards it isn't very popular form what I have seen.

Hmm, rare animine...(say that, it sounds cool :D)

Yeah, people probably mentioned these already, but what the heck:
-GTO
-Pet Shop of Horrors
-Dragon Half
-Those Who Hunt Elves (Meh, some people may not know about it)
-Chii

I know it's pretty pathetic, but that's from someone who has a VERY bad memory. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Amiboshi: Yeah, His&Hers is what i was calling Kare Knao ^^;. Sorry if i imposed any confusion.
Syk3: Hold it, Chii isnt an anime. Chii is the charecter from a Manga called Chobits o.O;; i think they have an anime but i doubt it's called Chii...or is it?
I just finished Saint Seiya, another nice, old anime. I've also seen what everyone has named like Excel Saga(the shipping race? right?).

Pet Shop of Horrors? Was that anime? I remember something along the lines of that, but I was sure it was US animation... I always liked Visionaries.

I know two great films that aren't really anime (two of my favourites for years), but could almost be classed as it- The Last Unicorn and The Flight of Dragons. Two great films done by Rankin/Bass (of animated LotR fame) with great music and Christopher Lee, Jeff Bridges, Mia Farrow (LU); and James Earl Jones (FOD).

And I don't like Shinzo. Shame it's done by Toei. I don't like Shin Chan, either.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Pepper [/i]
[B]Syk3: Hold it, Chii isnt an anime. Chii is the charecter from a Manga called Chobits o.O;; i think they have an anime but i doubt it's called Chii...or is it?
[/B][/QUOTE]
Erm, well, I was watching it dubbed over at someone's house and they were trying to tell me that the series was called Chii. Ah, well, it probably is Chobits.

As for Pet Shop of Horrors, it is indeed an anime. I saw it at my anime club once, and it's about people whose loved ones die and they are somehow attracted to this pet shop. Well, when they go to get a pet, the pet has the appearence of their dead loved one, and they are always given a warning, then told that the pet shop has no liability if they break it. Somehow, they always break the warning and get killed or whatever. So anyway, this cop starts investigating and -- meh, I've already said too much. But yeah, that's the basic idea of it.

I have heard that these animes are pretty rare.

*Fruits Basket
*Lupin the Third (Never really saw it but I heard in a mag that it was pretty rare)

Fruits Basket
This family is cursed, and if anbody hugs them from the oppisite sex is turned into an evil beast.
Find out more!

Lupin the Third
All I really know is this guy is a deadly theif.

*Berserk ( I heard was pretty good)

I have just never heard of them before. After I saw a lot of stuff about 'em I just thought I'd put it here. Fruits Basket was rated top 5 of the best mangas in Japan. Not a lot of people that I know have ever heard of Lupin the Third. So I posted it up here. If a lot of people know these animes that I have listed I'll be happy to delete it .

Hmm, bever heard of violinist of Hameln..

Anyone here of Gene Fusion? Not an anime yet..but..

Lupin III is actually quite popular, has sort of a cult following, and is mentioned in about EVRY issue of EVERY anime magazine(gets annoying)...

Well, if Syk3 was watching it dubbed, it culdnt have been chobits. they dont even have the 12th eppie subbed yet.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
I'm still suprised that this topic is going strong, after so long....but just a little side not originally a couple of month's back Fruits Basket and Chobits were considered rare animes, however the recent surge of cult followings behind both shows has become common knowledge to the anime fan.

Some of my personal rare choices are Final Fintasy Unlimited (bootlegged), Inachu Ping Pong Club(sort of like Beavis & Butthead meets South Park), Guyver, Labyrinth of Flames. I have also seen Venus wars I thought it was pretty good given thet it was like made during the early 80's.

please read my list and tell if you've seen them

I've heard of Final Fantasy Unlimited, I'll grant you that. I heard about it when they were thinking of using this series to spawn Final Fantasy games on the GCN.

Other than that, I havn't seen any of them except for Labyrinth of Flames. Haha, that was a fan service anime if I've ever seen one.

Guest Hikaru Ichijyo
[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Mr Roboto [/i]
[B]Some of my personal rare choices are Final Fintasy Unlimited (bootlegged), Inachu Ping Pong Club(sort of like Beavis & Butthead meets South Park), Guyver, Labyrinth of Flames. I have also seen Venus wars I thought it was pretty good given thet it was like made during the early 80's.

please read my list and tell if you've seen them [/B][/QUOTE]

Seen Final Fantasy unlimited it's pretty good, a lot better then that FF7 anime that was brought out awhile ago over in the US. As for the Guyver I've seen that too pretty good anime that redeems the crappy live action films, though personally the Guyver Manga's are quite a bit better. Labyrinth of Flames is certainly rare, I'm rather surprised that someone even knew aabout that anime.

Venus War I also saw, it was pretty lame in my opinion the ending was way too rushed and the animation style was rather cheap and coming from the Macross Team animators that was a big disappointment from me.

As fo Inachu Ping Pong Club it sort of is in a way like Bevis and BUtt Head with South Park though...since I'm not a fan of those type of shows the anime didn't settle well with me.

Good Job Mr Roboto Impressive Indeed.

;)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord_Otaku88 [/i]
[B]Well I'am not sure but is Gunnm a rare anime? [/B][/QUOTE]
What was that? I hope you're not trying to say Gundam, because that's one of the most [b]non[/b]-rare animes out there. It's been around since the late 70's and there are over 20 different Gundam series. Rediculous, I never liked that show anyway.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Lord_Otaku88 [/i]
[B]no no Gun Dream, or Gunnm for short, but in America they call it Battle Angel Alita. [/B][/QUOTE]
Ohh, my mistake. I've heard about Battle Angel Alita; it is supposed to be a very sad anime. James was telling me about it. :( I want to see it though, it sounds like an extremely well-made production.