OtakuBoards

Racism

Celia

Guest Magdalena
But the fact someone freaked out because someone else touched his bag is a little extreme, no?

So you're saying, not to put words in your mouth, that's it's pointless to notice racism and to not do a thing about it? What about Martin Luther King, Jr? He changed many things, because he noticed something and tried to change it.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Magdalena [/i]
[B]But the fact someone freaked out because someone else touched his bag is a little extreme, no?

So you're saying, not to put words in your mouth, that's it's pointless to notice racism and to not do a thing about it? What about Martin Luther King, Jr? He changed many things, because he noticed something and tried to change it. [/B][/QUOTE]

Extremists exist.. nothing can be done about that.

Martin Luther King argued against the LAWS and injustices instated against the black population. Sure, he argued moral implications, but back then Black people were forced to go to different schools/follow jim crow/segragate..etc. I think he changed things to the point of equality.

Legally, we've attained equality, no person can legally take some sort of race into question. But we cannot legally tell someone they have to hold a certain opinion. Everyone must form their own. What can we do now? Argue our opinions all we like, but the fact is we may be reversing what Dr. King wanted in the first place. If we continue to bring up skin color, whether benevolently-minded or not, we continue to bring race into the persepective as a factor. Take Affirmative Action, for example.... indirect supporter of racism.

I can't tell people whether or not to be racist. I don't want anyone to have that power.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Magdalena [/i]
[B]so I can't express my feelings on an experience I went through, because it touches upon a topic that has already been done? [/B][/QUOTE]

I apologize Magdalena, I didn't mean to jump down your throat there. Just saying that if you had seen the earlier cases of multi-threads with the same topic, you would've known that the Mods don't allow them anymore, not matter how strongly you feel about it. This should'nt come as a surprise to you. I agree with Drix D'Zanth, and urge you to read the earlier racism thread.

I take the L daily. The L is like Chicago's version of the subway. I can say that people on there just don't like sitting next to people at all. There are people who purposely sit on the outside of a pair of seats, just in the hopes that no one will sit next to them. There are people that move to an empty pair if someone sits next to them.

I've found that rarely has anything to do with race. Some people just don't like sitting by anyone. Others just want to stand (I often do because I know I'll fall asleep if I sit). I wasn't there so I don't know how the man acted or anything, but in my experience I haven't found that to be a matter of races.

There are plenty of people I know that would probably do that though.

Stuff like that happens alot in my town. Seeing as how i go to high school, I hear it alot. People making fun of other people because of their races, making racist jokes, even calling ppl names. But I cant do anything about it, if i tried theyd just act the same way with me. Sure i could tell a teacher and they would be suspended but then who would they come after when they got back?
Racism is hard to stop. It doesnt matter how hard you may try, it will always be out there. I agree with Magdalena when he said theres alot of ignorant people out there. Its true. its very true. theres alot of ignorant people that dont care what they do or say. Not tryin to spam or netin but im glad Magdalena made this post because it made me think of what really does go on in this world. That is all..

Theres a lot of thoughts that could explain why the man acted the way he did. Maybe Race, maybe, paranoia. Noone should feel ashamed for posting their thoughts. They have the right to freedom of speech. Maybe he is right, maybe he's wrong. Still has the right to say what he has to say:P. Dont mean to sound all weird but just sayin u shouldnt blame someone for havin to say whats on their mind.

Guest cloricus
Racism is rather odd in the groups of friends I'm in (no I?m not talking about raven, harlequin, enigma etc etc), and I've noticed the same in a few schools I've gone too. (Just a bit of background I'm part of the large group in this state that the government pounded with anti-racist things since we were young as a test to see what it would do.) Anyway my groups of friends aren?t racist in the slightest possibly as a result of the education thingy which has some weird outcomes, an example - if we are telling jokes they normally drift onto black/asian/American/nz/canadian stereotypical jokes because to be honest they are funny. But what I notice with when we tell jokes like that if say one of the black people we know comes along we keep telling jokes like that, normally asking if they mind first and include them plus the jokes normally move onto white jokes as well which to are funny too ? I personally don?t see the racist part just the stereotypical payout which I have nothing against.

I just think that if every one can take a light-hearted approach like the people I know then nothing really needs to change and every one can get on easily.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Magdalena[/i]
[B]2)At the store, owned by Mexicans, I got charged more for the same soda as the PR girl behind me.[/B][/QUOTE][size=1]You know, you can get them in a [i]lot[/i] of trouble for doing that if you get proof. Like keep your receipt, and try and get someone's who got the same thing cheaper. Then turn it over to the cops.

Though, the person behind you might have been an employee and got a discount, so you have to be careful.

The guy at the checkout might have been deathly afraid of germs or something of the like. I would imagine if the was rather extreme in racism there would have been some duragatory comments, though racism could very well be the case here.[/size]

Semjaza- I have raced under the 'L' on Midtown Madness. Heh.

Maybe that guy remembered that he didn't have any money, I don't know. Sadly, I am tempted to disagree with you as to the veracity of your statement about the 'bag man'. It seems a bit extreme, and pathetic, even for a human being. Racism is something that will never fully be weeded out, until we are all similar. People need some-one to be superior to, even if it is a whole race of people. The fact is, they are not superior, because there is more difference between two white men, than there is between the same man, and a black woman! (DNA wise)

People should grow up, but we won't, eventually it will be a minority thing, but for now, just put up with it. Racists are below you. OK?

I think you should have put this in the other Racism thread, but Yeh...

I apologize if I'm only repeating what someone else said, but there's no possible way I'm reading all those posts. What everyone has to understand is how unique everyone is. It is absolutely insane that no two people are alike. If you want to pick out one or two things about a person, whether it's something they can control or not, you're not even scratching the depth of that person. Putting people into different categories is absolutely pointless. I, unfortunately, have been brainwashed into perceiving people differently due to their aspects, but perceiving a difference in someone is no sin. People with blonde hair and people with brown hair have a distinct, recognizable difference. If you try to make friends with someone because of any perceived difference in hopes to feel better about yourself is just as bad for the conscience as any other judgement. If someone seems interesting to you, or sees something interesting in you, get to know them. If not, leave them alone. Someone who steals is a thief, but he is not "only" a thief. Someone who kills is a killer, but he is not "only" a killer. The same goes for everyone when you take a certain aspect out of them and focus on it. I personally, would never consider a romantic relationship with someone who smokes, because I find it a repulsing habit, and could not even force myself to be with someone like that. That is not a bad judgement. It shows lack of concern for personal health, and if the person is concerned, and wants to quit, it shows a lack of willpower. If someone has a different color skin, from that only, you can make absolutely no inferences as to their character. I do not judge, I observe.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Baron Samedi [/i]
[B] The fact is, they are not superior, because there is more difference between two white men, than there is between the same man, and a black woman! (DNA wise)
[/B][/QUOTE]

I agree with everything you said, except this juicy morsel. Actually, two white men have more similar DNA than a white man and black woman. Granted , a white man and black man may have more similar DNA... The only problem with your statement is that DNA varies all the time for each person with it's traits, etc.

A black woman is different through the 23rd chromosome in total! All men are similar to eachother because of the XY, the gender. So I'll have to say your point meant well, but wasn't entirely accurate.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Drix D'Zanth [/i]
[B]I agree with everything you said, except this juicy morsel. Actually, two white men have more similar DNA than a white man and black woman. Granted , a white man and black man may have more similar DNA... The only problem with your statement is that DNA varies all the time for each person with it's traits, etc.

A black woman is different through the 23rd chromosome in total! All men are similar to eachother because of the XY, the gender. So I'll have to say your point meant well, but wasn't entirely accurate. [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]The guy who led the Human Genome Project said in his statement that the genetic difference between a white male and a black female is the same (quantitatively) as the difference between two white males.

I'm sure he's figured the chromosome and individual trait thing out. But that's what he said. *shrug*

I know that the difference between men and women is far more minor than most people think. Men are actually based on women anyway (genetically speaking). Males just require an extra chromosome at the right developmental stage to move from being female to male. So, males are a byproduct of females, not the other way around.

Ahh, you gotta love my tangents. o_O[/color]

hahaha more science:P that did make sence though. males ARE just byproducts of females. Well said:)
---
not trying to make other discussions but i just seen "Save The Last Dance" last night and that movie has quite a bit of racism in it. we are also talking about it at School in Civics class. Well i just wanted to add that...

-Xyandar

[COLOR=indigo]I merged your second post with this. Don't double post, please. -Drix[/COLOR]

Well now... I've taken the time to read all of the posts in this thread, and after consideration I am ready to state my opinion.
As concerning to racism, which is what I believe this thread is about, I believe it is a by-product of upbringing. If an african american family (or any race), who were not racist, who lived in Norway were to raise one of two white kids separated at birth, undenialbly if the other one were to be raised in the deep south by a white family of racists (or any race), then the two would grow up very different. I will post later more of my ideas, as the bell will ring shortly. As an intelligent teen, if I do say so myself, I have many ideas. (not to toot my own horn of course)