OtakuBoards

Racism

Celia

[color=0099FF][size=1]Even though racism is illegal now, but I think lots of people still discriminate other races.

Just in San Francisco, a group of Chinese gangster was attacked by a group of American gangs. I didn't believe it when I heard the news! I mean, San Francisco is full of Asian people, and that means they could just go to Chinatown and beat up everyone that looks Asian.

I don't get it... Do people beat up other races to show that their race is more powerful than the others???[/color][/size]

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, just becasue there was a gang fight doesn't mean it was a racial thing. I mean, its no different than Bloods against Crips or Yellow Jackets against Folks, it was just a fight between two gangs. Probably fueled by money or turf.

As of racism, i can't stand it. I hate it when the N word is used, i hate when people racial slur asians, and i hate discrimintion. I hate it all and i have never judged soem one on there race. Although my black freinds call me a "N" and i'm white. But oh well.

It's like I said to Jubei Yagyou:

.... [B]"Don't worry about it! I'm Asian, too; and when you're the only minority in a city or school people are bound to give you crap about being different.

I just think to myself: "They're ignorant bigots, and that's all they have to offer. It's not my fault that they are uncultured and rude hicks. One day they'll get their punishment for their stupidity."

Harsh I know, but that's what they are. I'm very sensitive to any discrimination against Anyone, Cause I know what it feels like. Even my friends know it's not a line to cross with me, cause I can be very mean, tough, and take it to heart.".... [/B]

Yeah people have made racist jokes to me, Like calling me "Chow Mein Pork Face" and trying to imatate Korean Language but mockingly, and by calling me Chinese, or saying I have a flat face, or flat nose, . [B]But I hate this kid at school- he always tells me- "open your eyes, open your eyes, they're closed. Oh no wait they're open it's just your face."[/B] and sometime people will put tape on the corners of their eyes and pull them back to make them look "Asian", and then they'll say "hey, I'm just like you now! hahahaha!"

Most People are stupid....I hate stupid people. There are only a few amount of good people out there, and they are truely my friends, for they see past the race, into the soul.

[COLOR=darkblue]I use racist jokes sometimes, but I'm not serious about it.

I don't think that was an act of racism though...certain gangs can be very annoying, like bothering you at some resturant or at school. There is one Afghan gang that is really annoying when I went to high school, cutting people off in heavy traffic on the bike lane! Unfortunately, one of them driving a Mazda MPV cut off the wrong person (Suburban, Mexican gangsters) and they set the MPV on fire in the parking lot the next day.

We have a big police force for a small city, it's a shame this stuff is still rampant in my area.[/COLOR]

When I was in 4th grade a kid in class whispered to one of his friends that my family doesn't belong here in America and that we should go back to where we came from. One of my friends over heard it and told me about it. I started crying about fifteen minutes later.

I'm only half asian, I don't even look asian, I just look like a really dark american girl. I wonder if we'll ever get rid of racism. There's only like ten black kids at my school and we don't really have gangs where I live. But racism is still a problem where I live.

Sadly I live in GA,USA,I don't even want to spell it because it would be racist...

Well,I hate everybody who does this,I hate the K.K.K,my Grandma,and anyone eles who is racist.

One should not be judged by their race,religon,how the look,how they live,their gender,or the gender they love,but their attitude towards others.

Maybe the way I hate this is because I am overwieght,and see that it is the same thing.I would hate my grandma even if she was not racist,but why is the she treat me and my mom,and youngest brother when I lived there.

Anyway,most of my friend are spainsh,and we joke around about each other,but that is just dissing spars.I hate when the people on my bus say "Mo sho mo to my ko me" when the asians kids are talking,and me being called a cracker.

Well,that's all I have to say in this issue U.U

[color=002E55]Where there are small-minded people, there shall always be racism. The world seems to be in no short supply of people with miniscule minds.

I live in London. It's about as multi-cultural as you can get; I see people from all races and cultures just by stepping outside my house and walking down the street. Yet, a lot of people are completely unable to accept the fact that these people are [i]no[/i] different in terms of who they are.

Skin colour, who you worship and so forth seem to be immediate deciding factors to what kind of person you are to a lot of people, which is sad but unfortunately true. My best friend is black, and I've known him since I was around 2 years old. What colour he is bears no relation to anything; it never has and it never will.

I guess I don't understand why people think something on the outside, or how someone lives part of their life makes them such a 'different' person on the inside.[/color]

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by ReTarr [/i]
[B]When I was in 4th grade a kid in class whispered to one of his friends that my family doesn't belong here in America and that we should go back to where we came from. One of my friends over heard it and told me about it. I started crying about fifteen minutes later.

I'm only half asian, I don't even look asian, I just look like a really dark american girl. I wonder if we'll ever get rid of racism. There's only like ten black kids at my school and we don't really have gangs where I live. But racism is still a problem where I live. [/B][/QUOTE]

Ah, that's the thing. What's an American girl supposed to look like?

What annoys me most about people who criticize others based on ethnicity is when they say that certain groups of people don't belong here. What a narrow-minded statement! The United States is a country founded on immigration. When an individual expresses the desire to remove someone from our society based on "race," they're being very ignorant. That's all there is to it. Only a very minor percentage of our population is actually native born. And you know, I think that diversity benefits society. There are so many learning experiences out there thanks to it and our culture wouldn't be nearly as interesting without it. It'd be [i]boring![/i]

I don't know if this will be of any consolation to you now, but you [i]do[/i] belong here just as much as anyone else. I'm sure you realize this anyway, but I just had to say it. So, I hope you're never ashamed of your ethnic background. ^_^

In direct reply to the topic, I don't know that you can say racism is illegal, per se. You can't exactly outlaw beliefs, only harmful practice. There are measures meant to prevent discriminatory practice, like affirmative action, but those programs just reinforce racism indirectly. People are being hired largely based on ethnicity. Actual qualifications should always be the primary measuring stick when considering employees for a position. I understand that affirmative action is there because certain groups of people don't benefit from the same resources as other groups--so I accept [i]why[/i] it was put into place. But, let's fix [i]that[/i] problem instead and give everyone equal resources. Compounding the problem with another problem kind of sucks.

Now, gang wars probably have a lot to do with ethnocentrism, which is when people feel that their "race" is superior to other "races." It's typical ignorance and fear of difference. But, I wouldn't expect much from gang members anyway. Their motivation typically isn't derived from reasonable behavior. Perhaps if they had the proper parental supervision instead of being raised by the streets, that problem wouldn't exist.

Any one who is truely racist is ignorant in miny ways. I guess their is a hole 0.5% difference from a average white male compared to a avergae black male. ok people. Hateing some one for haveing a diffrent skin color is stupid. (sorry to be so harsh) Usaly you dont see racist young people. Usaly it is older people that have made up their mind about it. And they pass this down to their childern. Am guessing in 10 years it will be somthing that we all look back on and make jokes about. Today it seems like its a big deal because you cant say something bad about someone else with out it being a racist remark. :sigh: you cant hate some one for the right reasons anymore. Its Bull!:mad:

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Double_B_Daigo [/i]
Although my black freinds call me a "N" and i'm white. But oh well.[/QUOTE]

Same here.

I don't liek racists, but it's so open. Like, for example, no body would sign Eminem for a record deal. BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE. Dre was nice enough, and smart enough ,to take him. Look at the money he got. Racists didn't get it, they didn't sign him.

That was just one example. I'm another. All the girls in my class don't like me because i'm white but 'act black'. I dont' see how i can act liek a person. I am one. Color does not matter. But it seperates me from alot of people, because of it.

I get that alot to Shinobi, but most of the girls that like me are in my crowd. But i really don't "act black", i jsut hang with them andi'm good at basketball. But there is a kid who seriuosly does act black. He is white and says stuff like, "WHy you angry? Cuz i'm black or soemthing?" It jsut gets on my freakin' nerrves and everyones around him's nerves. And what makes it worse is that he hates me, and i don't see why. I guess its cuz he's jealous about soemthing, but i wouldn't know.

I actually think that it will never end. People that just look at people notice there skin colour first. Someone is a racist I know she won't even talk to people from other countres, I'm not her friend though. We have people that are asian at my school but nobody cares.

I don't think our state that we live in are racist cause we have one of the most largest Korean Veteren Memorial centers in the country. I mean it's huge. But anyway, I don't think people where I live are racists.

But I think it will never end. It could though I just don't know how. But it might never end, I hope it does.

I think sometimes that racist jokes are funny. But I dont think that peoplee are bad because they are black, or chinese, or Irish etc. I think the jokes are funny, but i dont take them 100% seriously. I live in Australia, and as a general populace, i dont think much of Aboriginals. As individual people, some are OK, but 'Aboriginals' as a whole seem to be... not very good. I have nothing against the individual people though. Which is what matters. I have aboriginal friends. I just keep my opinions to myself, which is what people should do. I mean, those people need to learn some manners, and grow up.

[size=1] Racism makes me really angry. There's nothing that can get me angry so fast. Okay, so their skin is a darker shade of yours, or it's lighter than yours, doe that make the person? Hell no!

Soem of the racists here in Christchurch spout off about our recent Asian Immigration boom, and how they hate asians, However, alot of them go back to their SONY entertainment systems, and their MITSUBISHI cars! How ignorant, moronic and patheticaly stupid can you get?

I like the Asian Immigration boom, it's bringin variety and a different perspective to this largely Anglo-Saxon / city,

Our native people, the Maori, have been for yers tryign to get what they deserve, what was stolen from them in the treaty of Waitangi by the Crown, sometimes, even in this day and age, Racism is still happening, and then, sometimes, you can see age old rifts, such as our own Waitangi coming together, (exempt the Maori's latest claim for the foreshore and seabed).

Most of the world now see colour of the skin as no different than colour of your hair, and that's how it should be. [/size]

Guest Crimson Spider
Well, Racism to me is just sterotyping gone bad. Mainly because of how a person acts. Of course, here on the boards people are smart enought to get past all the differences. We don't even know what we look like half the time.

Well, scientest have confirmed that there is only 1 race. The human race. They did the research on the microscopic level, and it ends up that there is only, at most, a possibility of 30 of our genes being different from another person. Out of a total of 30,000 genes, only 30 [B]can[/B] be different. That is 0.001%. Wow! What a big thing to make a deal out of! Let me know when the aliens come back. They took my watch...

I don't look at racial differences, which are fictional, as first appearances. I don't see that that hot chick walking down the street is black. I don't see the smartest kids in my school being asian (which can mean Russian, mind you). The only time I ever notice these things is when they make me aware of them. When a kid would act dumb, and I would call them on it, they would say: "Oh, and all us mexicans are dumber than crackers, right?" How do you talk to that? What are you going to say? No? Simply put, there is no way. So I usually racially insult them that instant, and leave it at that. Something like "Wow! *Turning to everyone around* He finally got it! *Turning back to original guy* Now, whats 3 + 2?" Sure, I've been called a biggot a few times. But it doesn't bother me. I just say: "Well, If I'm the biggot, then why did he call me a cracker?" Of course, that person was racist themselves, and would say yes. Then I would insult them again. Of course, I know that I am truly not a racists, simply because they started it, and there is actually no races! Only one!

But racism itself isn't about puting your genre above anothers, or putting down something you feel threatened by. All that is is what parents tell kids about bullies in school, which isn't true. It is simply about sterotyping. If they don't like how the lable put on a specific "race", then they don't like the race. I come from a long line or racists in my family. It suprises me that I'm not. And guess what? I probably am and just don't know it.. You think that everyone who is racists knows it? Well, they don't. They don't think about it as biggitry. They just think about it as stereotyping.

Another thing that bothers me is that people use their race to an advantage to do dumb stuff. Ever seen the movie "National Security?" I bet not a single person in that police station believed who Martin Lawrence was playing. But they went with his story, simply because of his color.

Similar things can happen. Lets say a white cop brutally beats a black woman before arresting her. Every single black person, along with mexicans and maybe something else will go all up in arms about it. They ignore the fact that that woman was wanted for 6 axe murders, many of white people, and ran from the cops in a police chase and had to be hunted down on foot and restrained by 3 cops. Then there would be riots, and hate crimes, and that specific cop would probably get in trouble for just doing his job. They just used the idea of "race" to do dumb stuff, because them themselves are racists. I really didn't care if that was a black woman. I care about 6 families who now are missing someone.

Another thing is that a specific "race" will complain about being oppressed when something is taken away from them. Like the many people whining about having special scholarships taken away from them because they are a minority. And they protest over not having equal rights. They have equal rights, in fact, they had a special right until someone took it away. Their just pitching a b... well, you know.

Something that also caught my eye is that the main "race" labled with racism is a white person.

I bet that many of these "minorities" aren't even really a minority. To be the minority, you must be the least out any race in the whole area. They should really put it as a "Majority".

I don't want to get a job over a person whos Resumé is better than mine because my name sounds white and theirs doesn't. I don't want to put what race I am on an application to a collage. I just say screw it all.

Same thing with sexism too. And stuff like obesiety, and hair-color, and religion. People think that since I am a christian that I think that all girls should wear long dresses all the time and I should be kind, and loving to all creatures and not get angry when they don't actually know that the bible doesn't say those things, and actually says that no matter how much of an arrogent bastard someone may be, they can still be a born-again christian.

(Is it just me, or does some of the paragraphs I said above sound racial against black people?)

Well, white people do that kinda stuff, too. Like the K.K.K. You just don't hear about it because white people are automatically labled as the main oppressors, and no-one cares about them. But I say that anyone who quotes the bible then burns crosses afterwards shouldn't be listened to.

Racism is everywhere. There's no way to stop it.

Football, down-town, in resturaunts, everywhere. You see it, you hear it, you know it. I find myself laughing at racist jokes sometimes, even though I know it's not right. I'm friends with alot of people from other "races", and my friends from my "race" see it as funny/awkward. It's stupid.

I don't like the word "race" when it's used that way. Everyone's the same. "Race" makes it sound as if everyone else is an alien or something.

[color=#707875]Discriminating against someone based on their race/gender/sexuality/religion/nationality et al is unfortunately something that still exists in most places. I guess that the good side to it is that many younger people are starting to grow up and lose their ignorance on these subjects. And I generally think that society will always move toward being more accepting of people with differences...and this is a direct result of education.

I mean, what is racism? Why does it exist? Racism is almost another word for ignorance. Racism and ignorance go hand-in-hand. People discriminate against other people simply because they don't understand them...or at least, they are ignorant enough not to be tolerant.

I agree that you can't legislate racism away. It doesn't work that way. Racism only erodes by time and education. I mean, our generation...the generation of people who generally visit these boards, are probably less racist than our parents' generation. And they were less racist than theirs, etc. I think it's also true that the next generation of people will be far more tolerant than we are at this point in time.

So, I see it as a natural progression. Those people who are racist probably aren't aware that the human genome project made some distinct findings about race. I remember the head of that project saying that the genetic difference between two white males is the same (in percentage terms) as the difference between a white male and a black female. In other words, our genetics are somewhat different between individuals...but no "race" is actually genetically inferior or substantially different to other races. Bleh, I hope that made sense. lol

Of course, if you're [i]not[/i] a racist person, you don't really need to be told that. But, it's an interesting tidbit. [/color]

I really disagree with racism, i think that you cant judge an induvidual, it is hard to judge someone by looks or origin. But as a group yes you could judge the majority of them, but you shouldnt go around calling them names or dilibratly making them a target because they are different to you. In australia because we are such a multicultural country we have many different nationalities and race's so i have been brought up to accept them, but there are others who are racist and want them out of our country, because they arnt the same which i think is wrong.

[color=darkgreen][font=gothic]Our school has something called a five year strategic plan, which happens every five year cycle. We've just started a new one, and each starts with a survey to all the grades: which aspects of the college do you enjoy, which aspects concern you, etc.

We've taken into the college a couple of sudanese refugees, and there are a couple of aboriginies, and a couple of maories. I had the task of going through a large portion of the surveys today, and most people put the presence of other races in the college as things that concern them.

There are only four people in my japanese class at school because most parent's don't want their children speaking the language of the people they fought in the war.

Australia is racist. I'm sad to say it, but it's pretty much true. Our prime minister has not apologised to the aboriginies, and although heaps gathered and did so anyway, the vast majority will still harbour some form of resentment, anger at the benefits for the ethnic races, fear of asian immigration, hatred of the middle east.

Old knowledge, what has been past down from generation to generation. And people believe what their parents tell them, which is why it's so hard to get rid of.[/color][/font]

Guest cloricus
I'm sorry that I haven't read all of this thread and I'm only really replying to Raven's post. (This is not a personal attack; please don't take it as one.)

[quote]
There are only four people in my Japanese class at school because most parents don't want their children speaking the language of the people they fought in the war.
[/quote]
That is complete ******** and you know it, Racism has nothing to do with the numbers in language classes in our's or most other schools in this state. I think you will find that it is more attributed to the fact there is less need to know other languages or the want to. Just because people in schools are not in the mindset to go out of their way to learn other cultures does not make them in anyway racist, it only makes them ignorant in the eyes of some one who believes they should know that culture.

[quote]
Most people put the presence of other races in the college as things that concern them.
[/quote]
I find that incredible hard to believe considering that only one in three people at our school are from "the bush" and only about three fourth's of them are true hicks. Also if that were true the whole school would have got such a harsh talking to and the presence of "people of other races" at the school would be questioned. (Knowing a small amount of how the admin system works.) I also know that nearly every one in our grade (180 students) is in favour of it because of the advantages and as most say "the things they can learn." (Yes I have asked them.)

[quote]
Our prime minister has not apologised to the aborigines.
[/quote]
And why does that mean absolutely anything at all? One mans opinions mean nothing, sure you could say he is speaking in the opinion of the nation but not every one is in favour for racist reasons or their beliefs that may not be racist in anyway they just don?t coincide. I my self think that it could have a detrimental effect on the process of fixing up "this mess" and on top of that possible effects on the economy.

[quote]
Old knowledge, what has been past down from generation to generation. And people believe what their parents tell them, which is why it's so hard to get rid of.
[/quote]
You say this yet you are still on the same arguments that were drilled into us in primary school, there are more important issues and better ways to tackle the problems than all of this bickering of whose fault it is. Nearly all of them start with education.

I am not racist and I will treat whites, blacks, asians and any one else who wants to know me in anyway the same as each other. How I know I will do this? Well I?ve had to live around and interact with people from different races all of my life and I know their flaws and strengths. So the only time I will have any resentment is if I'm attacked by that person and then I don't automatically label that group.

On the whole I believe racism is a bad thing, but there are [i]some[/i] advantages that present themselves in the long run.

Living in Chicago nearly all my life... I don't know how anyone who lives in this city can be racist. Everyday I see and interact with people of so many religions, cultures, races, sexual preferences and everything else. They're literally everywhere. If you are racist, I don't know why you'd ever live in this city.

I went to a mostly hispanic/black high school my first three years, and a mostly white one my last year. I don't feel I acted any differently to anyone... Most of my friends have always been from so-called minorities anyway, not that that really means much.

It's probably politcally correct and forced to most people when someone says "I don't see colors, I see people" or whatever else. In a large sense, I agree that it's a rather odd statement. I think everyone judges people on their looks in some form (even if they're the same race), but that's besides the point. Personally, I judge people on their actions... not on things as meaningless as that. It's not as if people choose their looks when they're born.

It's never going to go away unless we all are assimilated into one culture and mixed to the point that the races are indistinguishable.

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Ravenstorture [/i]
[B][color=darkgreen][font=gothic]
Australia is racist. I'm sad to say it, but it's pretty much true. Our prime minister has not apologised to the aboriginies, and although heaps gathered and did so anyway, the vast majority will still harbour some form of resentment, anger at the benefits for the ethnic races, fear of asian immigration, hatred of the middle east.

[/color][/font] [/B][/QUOTE]

[color=#707875]Correction, [b]Queensland[/b] is racist. lol

I have never noticed a sign of racism in Melbourne/Victoria whatsoever. Even Melbourne's Lord Mayor is Chinese...and he's a very popular man down here.

In my area, there is a massive Japanese population. I would say that about a third of the people in Glen Waverley are Japanese or Chinese. And if you go into the more busy inner-city areas, you see nothing but asian guys in hotted up Japanese cars. lol

I think that your view is more a view of the current Government. It's not necessarily the view of Australia as a whole. I mean, some would say that George W. Bush is racist because of the war in Iraq...but that's really an easy cop out. There's no real analysis in that kind of statement.

I do believe that the Prime Minister should apologize to Aborigines. But, I think I'd prefer to see an apology that comes from the Parliament (maybe a vote or something). Something more widespread.

I can tell you right now that the majority of people who disregard Aborigines are older people (like my grandmother for example). People of my generation are quite the opposite; I see more crazy left-wingers than anything else in my age group. And that's both inside and outside school.

So, it's important to differentiate the Government from the entire nation. I don't think that people are afraid of immigration; they just want legal immigration. I don't see a problem with that line of thinking and I don't feel that it equates to racism.[/color]

I have a lot of racist friends, sometimes I want to beat the crap out of them for what they say. My friends know who they are *cough*Tw34ky*cough*, When there are racist remarkes I am there to make the racists shut up. I hate it, it doesnt matter to me who the racist is or what the racist is remarking, blacks, asians, mexicans, whites. People may not think it but Minnesota have lots of racist people, The asian gangs fight the mexican gangs, black fight the white. My friend *cough*Tw34ky*cough* talks about black people like they are lower than him, its not his fault, I think the fault is the upbringing. His brother talks about, "kirbying" black people. That means, hit black peoples head on the curb. And, I dont go as far to say, dont call them black call them "african american", or dont call them asian call them "oriental", thats a bunch of over protective bull. Its not that big of a deal, the big deal is the beatings and the abuse, not the name calling. They can say what they want, it only becomes a problem when they do something.

[color=blue][font=arial]I think Dat Phan did it best with his bit on 'Last Comic Standing':

'I'm walking on the street, and these two white guys walk by and start going [insert what I call 'White-enese' here]. When I walk by a white person, I don't start following them and saying 'House, Truck, Car, Airplane, Fire Hydrant''

Racism doesn't make sense. I can't stand it, nor do I tolerate anyone who pulls that crap around me.[/color][/font]