OtakuBoards

DNAngel

eleanor

[size=1] I made a thread about this a [i]long[/i] time ago, but it was closed. I think I remember a thread about this some time ago as well, but I just decided to make another one. :P

DN Angel is basically a romance/part action manga/anime. Now, romance manga/anime aren't exactly what I'm typically interested in, but I got pulled into this anime by an online friend. ^_~ The anime is pretty good in my opinion, and the use of CG in the anime series is something new for me. I actually prefer hand-drawn background [i.e. Cowboy Bebop--I loved the backgrounds on that show], but the CG is pretty cool.

There's also a manga, which was made before the anime, in Asuka comics. It's supposed to be released by Tokyopop by next spring, the last I heard. ^_^ I think I'm going to actually buy them, too.

The story is about a boy named Daisuke [14 years old], who has a huge crush on a girl named Risa. Risa rejects the poor guy before he even gives the girl a love letter [XP]. So, blah blah blah he's heartbroken blah blah blah and THEN he finds out that his family [which has a bit of a magic background, methinks] and all the men in his family took on the form of a man called Dark Mousy at age fourteen. [which I will mention is a very fine man.]

:P This is the fun part. When Daisuke sees Risa, he turns into Dark. Now, in the first episode, Dark develops a crush on a girl named Riku, who is actually Risa's twin sister. [Riku is a bit of a tomboy and she plays lacrosse, while Risa is 'girly-girl'] So when Dark sees Riku, he turns into Daisuke. So I guess you can imagine the troubles. On top of that, Risa develops a huge crush on Dark [who can [i]blame[/i] her?] ^_^;;;

And then you can add in some humor and a cute 14-year old genious trying to capture Dark and you've got this anime. [/size]

Yay. DNAngel.

I've only watched the first five episodes or so, because I haven't had time to watch the others. I thought the first episode was great. After that, they started going a bit downhill ... I've never read the manga and it was kind of confusing, to be honest. I thought, like you said, that when Dark saw Riku he had to turn back into Daisuke (because she was his true love or whatever) ... but in one of the first episodes [spoiler]when Dark kisses Riku[/spoiler] he can stay as Dark, which I thought was weird. And other times Dark saw Riku he didn't appear to have any problems ... Yeah, maybe it'll become clearer as I watch more.

So yeah, I plan to watch the anime regardless. Dark is really hot ... and Daisuke is really cute ... as is Uizu! (this little rabbit-type thing that's their accomplice, for those of you who haven't seen the show.)

• 9 months later...
I didn't watch DN Angel when it first aired in Japan, mainly because I don't like the manga at all. From what little of the anime I've seen recently, I feel somewhat justified in not wanting to buy it whenever it comes out in the States (probably sometime this fall or winter). For a series I didn't think I would enjoy, it's admittedly pretty decent--if Satoshi were the main character, I wouldn't be able to resist watching more. He's [i]insanely[/i] adorable. ^_^;;

The CG backgrounds look fantastic, although I can't say I'm terribly fond of the character designs... Krad in particular is much more attractive in the manga. I just have problems with DN Angel's premise; the plot is quite contrived, and unlike some other series which have tested my credulity, it doesn't do a very good job in making the viewer overlook its neat little set-up. The blatantly gratuitous shounen-ai innuendo is sort of amusing, I guess, but also rather counter-productive--considering that the anime's storyline [i]depends[/i] upon several heterosexual crushes.

Oh, well. If I want to see cute schoolgirls and even cuter little boys, I suppose I can always turn to Matantei Loki Ragnarok.

~Dagger~

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]I don't really know why, but I love this show. It's fastly become one of my favorites, ever since I started watching it. I started watching it a couple of months ago, from a suggestion from one of the anime news places. You know how they have "if you liked this series, check out blah blah blah". I can't even remember which series I got the recommendation from, but now I'm glad that I got it. The story line is cute, with not so bad looking characters either. One of them is kinda annoying, but at least she grows a little as the story progress. I love the little "Holy Maiden" thing. And if you watch close enough [SPOILER] when Dark kisses Riku, he does turn back into Daisuke. That's why Riku saw his face, and why he's clearly back to himself right afterwards, even though he still has the wings[/SPOILER]
I think my real favorite part about this series is the music. Miyamoto Shunichi
is just completly awesome. He sings the opening song "True Light", and also "Caged Bird", and the very ending song at the end of the series entitled "Michishirube". These songs are so pretty, and his voice just takes your breathe away.

I've started reading the manga, volumes one and two are already out, and volume three comes out in August. I think my favorite part of the manga is at the end you get to catch a glimpse of the author (Yukiru Sugisaki)'s other works that have only yet been published in the magazine. I think I like the look of the characters, and the story isn't too bad either. ^_^.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=firebrick] I've bought the first two volumes of DN Angel and I actually like it a lot. I'm an odd person... I actually don't like many anime/mangas [I seriously only like about five, total] but I dunno, DN Angel seemed cool. The art sort of flops for me sometimes, but I met a friend at camp who said the art gets a lot better but the storyline sort of dies. *shrugs* I'm looking forward to seeing Satoshi in a dress in volume 8.

The anime is said to drift far, far away into the land of filler episodes...I've only the first seven episodes and and an episode where [it's filler, don't worry] Satoshi and Daisuke have a romance scene in this school play. XD I just had to see it.[/color]

[COLOR=SlateGray]Sorry if this thread has been started already somewhere ^_^ If it has, I'm reviving it...in a sense. @.@

I?ve recently fallen in love with this anime (and the manga) and this thread is basically to get peoples opinions on it.
I know it?s not one of the more popular animes but I think people should give it more attention.

The story-line is fantastic even though it has it?s certain annoyances like any other storyline, too many filler episodes that don?t add to the plot, for example.

The characters are also wonderful, each of them have distinct personalities and quirks, it?s more obvious in the manga but I'm here to rant about anime ^^;. The animation is very good too and seems to get better as the series progresses, the character designs are well thought out and look very much like the characters in the manga, almost identical. I?m just pointing this out because it?s not always the case >.>; unfortunately.

Romance is usually my favourite genre and this story has a mix of comedy, romance and action, I think it?s something that boys could enjoy as well as girls, but that?s just my opinion.

So, what are yours views on this anime? Who is your favourite characters and why?

Most people know that Satoshi Hiwatari is my fave, probably because I think he?s sexy :rolleyes: but apart from that his personality and his attitude make him such a cool guy to watch.

Comments, anyone?[/COLOR]

i have read the first two in the manga series and am impressed. I think its a very slick and cool anime. I absolutely adore Satoshi and have a poster of him over my bed.

This is by the creator of Candidate for a Goddess (Pilot Candidate) and you can tell by the gorgeous characters. I spend half my time reading the dialogue and the other half gazing at the character designs.

• 3 months later...
I recently recieved a free copy of the first episode of d n angel with my newtype sub. i was wondering if anyone else has seen other episodes of this series and what they think about it. i thought it was a very interesting idea and the characters seem very real and emotional, but like i said ive only seen one episode.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]I've merged your thread with our pre-existing topic. Next time, please check the Directory before starting a series-specific thread. Thanks!

~Dagger~[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I really love DNAngel. It can get a little confusing, but so can FLCL, and that's one of my favorites. I love the way the art is. The detail and cuteness of it! I've tried a few fanarts, but that particular style eludes me. I'm better at Love Hina type stuff.
Anyway, I have the first four manga volumes, and am eagerly awaiting the fifth. I'm really a sucker for angsty love stories, sappy though they may be. DNAngel isn't the least bit sappy, mind you. I love how Daisuke is believably confused about who he likes, and I like how shy Risa is about it(even if she's not shy about other things).
I don't care what anyone says, I love DNAngel!!

I finally got my hands on the November issue of Newtype USA and it came with the first episode of DN Angel! ...I probably wouldn't know about it and like it as much if I hadn't gotten the DVD with Newtype but yea...
Anyways I just had to say this because I noticed it when I was watching the first episode earlier today but it seems that almost every character has the same eye and hair colour. Daisuke has red eyes and red hair both the twins have brown eyes and a brown-ish hair... well except With... I think he might be albino :eek: but anyways I've only seen the first episode so I don't know if there are later characters who don't have the same hair and eye colour but still...
From the one episode I've seen I really like it and if I weren't broke I'd diffidently go out and buy some of the DVDs... But sadly:/
Anyways another thing I find really interesting is how it's partly 3D which seems really cool. There was a big article in the September Issue of Newtype USA about how Xebec and they talked about how they were experimenting with SD-ishness and DN Angel was one of the shows they were making have 3D parts in it.
My favorite girl character is Riku she?s probably the most like me? but my fav boy character is Daisuke he?s just so adorable! :D besides you gotta feel sorry for him in he always feels so clumsy [COLOR=white]and how Risa turns him down before he even gets to give her his love letter and...[/COLOR]

[size=1][color=navy]Nothing in your post strikes me as being particularly spoilerful, and the white text works fine. However, in the future, you can create spoiler tags by typing [spoiler]text[/*spoiler], minus the asterisk. Thank you very much for trying to be considerate of other members. ^_^

~Dagger~[/color][/size]

[FONT=Century Gothic][COLOR=Blue]Okay, if you know me just a little bit, I'm sure you know that there's two things I'm sort of obsesed with, the former being cookies, the latter D. N. Angel. Ever since I saw that first episode I've been hooked. I've gotten all the manga that's came out, and I have to say, some things are more apparent, as one would expect, in the manga. Which is fine with me! It's definately clearing up some things.

I went to my local Best Buy store the other day to buy a CD I had wanted, and went to look around the anime section, and what did I find? The D. N. Angel DVD!! I was really excited because I had forgotten when it was released, so of course I bought it.

I'm having a hard time getting used to the english voices, I swear I've watched it in *** over 6 times, so it's kinda hard not to expect a certain voice. I've only gotten to watch the first two episodes, so I'll try to post again once I've seen it all, and all the extras goodiness. I did, however watch the extra where it actually showed the recording session for "True Light", the series' opening song.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=Verdana][size=2]Compare with all the other animes I have seen, i could only say that this was a decent type of anime. I just couldnt get hooked on this one for some reason. I thought the whole concept of 2 individuals who were somewhat friends in there formal self and then have other identities that are rivals was a pretty interesting idea. [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]However, I didn't like the story line that much at all and it seemed to be missing a lot of important facts at the end [spoiler] Especially the part of Hiwatari's fathers past; why he acted the way he did and his key role in the anime [/spoiler]. Also I felt it was lacking in action since compared to "X TV Series" and other animes of the sort, DNAngel just didnt seem to have a lot of good fight scenes throught the series.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]With everything else in mind, I've seen lousier anime series then this and while I didn't like some of the scenes here and there at had its good moments as well.[/size][/font]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I once considered buying the DVD series until I read about the comments that compared the anime to the manga. Apparently most of the anime is full of filler, with the exception of a few episodes near the end.

Therefore, I have decided to stick with my manga. AND, it's wonderful *^_^*[/COLOR]

• 4 months later...
I just saw this series for the first time this week and I have to say I absoutely love it. It's beautifully animated and the manga is equally as beautiful. I also love the music. I think the opening song is one of the most beautifully done songs I have ever heard in an anime series. But proably what I love the most is how it doesn't center on nothing but conflict. Sometimes it gets so old to have nothing but endless fight scenes. *I love Fruits Basket for the same reason* Also, I love how some of the episodes explore the depths of relationships and how people intereact with one another. Like the episode about Daisuke's mother and father and how they ended up together. In that respect this series seems to me to be more directed towards adults. Although I've only seen the first 12 episodes and read the first 6 books I can't wait to see the rest! :animesmil

• 5 months later...
I am and avid fan of the manga but I feel the anime difers from what made the manga so great. The manga was good becauuse Daisuke seemed more like a teenage kid than a romantic hero (which lets face it, don't exist). I thought that the way that Daisuke and Dark differd in their priorities really created a sense of conflict which, to spite the evil artwork in the anime, made the world seem more chaotic. Plus Krad seemed far more sinister, he wasn't formal or refined he just seemed almost innocent, yet ommninous at the same time. Overall I find the anime inferior to the manga.

Sorry fans of the anime, [B]IT IS.[/B]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]yes one of my fav.....although i've never seen the anime before but i've read it all the way to the 8th...and that waz awsome!!!!I can't wait till next month when the 9th book is realeased...i sooooooo have to read it!!!I want to see the manga though soo many ppl tell me it good...hopfully i'll get it some day :catgirl: [/COLOR]

• 3 months later...
[SIZE=1]What? This thread's been brought back four times already?

Just to bring it back up, I'm an average fan of DNAngel. I have yet to see more than the beginning but from the first few episodes, I've realized that I just might fall in love with another anime again. Too bad I haven't seen it in a while, I might just remember more from it, but I love talking about it.

So far, my favorite character is Dark because he's so laid-back which is the attitude I love for people to have. I can stand when they're too stressed, competetive, nervous, etc. That's why I like Dark the best. Plus he's sexy, duh. :animesmil

.........[/SIZE]

• 1 month later...
i have most of the dvd's i just need four more and the movies if there are any well i am a big fan of it so far it has come close to beating inuyasha for me i love the story line and the music i also love the animation

My best friend got me hooked on it she showed me a preview dvd and ever since i have been buying the anime dvd's and manga books and calanders and well anything i could get that was DNAngel i love it almost as much as i love Inuyasha

[COLOR=DarkRed]Lol that happened to me...I have phases to favorite anime...first it was Inuyasha, then DBZ, then Chobits....DNAngel is pretty recent for me. I only found out about it because I found this picture of Daisuke (then I didn't know who it was) but I fell in love with it! I drew him anywhere I possibly could n_n then I asked a few friends about which anime he came from and they looked at me dumbly and said 'DNAngel' then I became obsessed...lol don't get me started when I learned who Dark and Krad were. :catgirl: [/COLOR]

[font=verdana][size=1]I enjoyed the manga much more than the anime.

I really like how the whole [b]love will set you free[/b] message is being told in this series. It's cute. Although, in the anime, it's just so editted. More than half of the original plotline is cut out, and then there are just all these added on episodes.

But, in the [spoiler]episodes dealing with the "Second hand of time" and such, it seemed to be such a big deal in this series, while in the manga, even though it takes up about 3 volumes to tell the story, the anime makes this the only real big thing throughout the whole story plotline~![/spoiler] I did not really like that.

I am a much bigger fan when it comes to the manga, though. I love how Sugisaki draws each character. I definatly wish I could draw like that.[/font][/size]

• 2 months later...
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey whats up people? Who here like D N Angel? i do. I read the manga books i havent watched it. Who is your is your favorite character? Mine id have to say is....probably Satoshi lol him and his blue hair and his huge glasses. What character do you dislike? I dislike... O___o; ummm i'm not so sure . haha.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][INDENT][COLOR=Indigo]
[SIZE=1]Welcome to OtakuBoards [B]1nOnlyCloud[/B]

I am moving your thread to the existing DNAngel thread for the following reason: To avoid confusion we ask that you do not create another thread. Please go ahead and post in the current one no matter how old it is. Before you post any thread, please check the [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=38208][COLOR=Indigo][B]Official Threads Directory[/B][/COLOR][/URL] to see if there is already a thread on that topic. It is also a good idea to perform a forum search on that subject to make sure another thread does not already exist.

Please take a moment to review this sticky on [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=37269] [COLOR=Indigo][B]How to Post in Anime Lounge[/B][/COLOR][/URL] . If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff.

~Aaryanna[/COLOR][/SIZE][/INDENT]

• 3 weeks later...
[QUOTE=KiraStrike29]I recently recieved a free copy of the first episode of d n angel with my newtype sub. i was wondering if anyone else has seen other episodes of this series and what they think about it. i thought it was a very interesting idea and the characters seem very real and emotional, but like i said ive only seen one episode.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1]I've merged your thread with our pre-existing topic. Next time, please check the Directory before starting a series-specific thread. Thanks!

~Dagger~[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I have the whole boxed set of DNAngel. I luv it!!!! They should have a second season. Dark is my favorite character...I luv that French outfit in episode 14!!!