OtakuBoards

Guild Wars

Drix D'Zanth

[quote name='Pumpkin][SIZE=1']I have no idea what those last items do lol. But I was scared to salvage them, not sure if thats what I'm suppose to do. I've been having trouble ascending since I keep getting beat so easily. Does anyone have any tips on how I might pass the test? It's extremely hard and I know it shouldn't be since my skills are not TOO bad. Advice is appreciated. Oh and by the way if you didn't know, if you want any of these items please send a /whisper to Yazela Dubrin. Thanks. [/SIZE][/quote][color=#4B0082]Those last few items are enemy armor drops that have runes on them. You can tell when an armor drop has a rune on it by it being blue, purple, or gold and being unidentified. If you use an expert salvage kit on the armor, you can salvage the rune that's on it.

And as Warmaster said, you can either ID them before or after salvaging. Personally, I just ID before salvaging, since there's still a good number of runes I've yet to unlock for PvP, and if it's a crappy rune that's not worth anything the armor drop itself will be worth more at the merchant. I got a gold armor with a crappy major rune on it one time which was only worth 25 gold at the rune trader, but the armor drop was worth around 500 at the merchant.

You're talking about fighting the doppleganger, right? And if I remember correctly, Yazela is a primary elementalist? If so, there's a pretty easy way to beat the doppleganger.

First, switch most of your attribute points into fire magic and energy storage if they aren't there already. Then take Flare, Fire Storm, Searing Heat, and Meteor Shower as your only skills for the fight. As soon as the fight starts, start casting Flare as often as you can; don't bother using the other spells. If you see him casting one of the AoE spells, start strafing just before the spell finishes, to get out of its area of effect. Once you're out, continue spamming Flare.

With this strategy, he'll waste time on casting the three AoE spells that you brought, but you can just move out of them with minimal harm done. Meanwhile, you'll be hitting him with constant Flares and doing a lot of damage. I thought of this when Amelia needed to ascend and I won on my first try.

Oh, and I don't really need glittering dust anymore. I decided I'm not going to bother with the 8k patterns at The Granite Citadel for Arik since his dragon patterns already look pretty good. Instead, I've set my sights higher -- yes, I'm going to try and get him some Fissure of Woe armor. That also requires 350 vellum, but it also requires 105 ectoplasm, so I'll get the dust necessary for the remaining vellum long before the ecto. So...

Arik Desbreko is now accepting donations of ectoplasm. (0/105) :p[/color]

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[size=1]So, I enter the Frost Gate outpost after pwning in Borlis Pass with Dev, and I was waiting for my graphics to load. Low and behold, I just happened to land by this:

[IMG]http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b7/anne-mae/untitled.jpg[/IMG]

Now, mind you, at a first glance, it looked just like our cape. I thought it was one of the guys, and [i]almost[/i] started up a conversation with this person. Notice the color difference, but with my graphics still loading it looked like one of us at a first look.

My character in that picter is Tatum Deadly, Ranger/Necromancer. I got to the bonus of Frost Gate and got swarmed by Summit dwarves. Which would've been okay, if it weren't for the [b]3[/b] Dolyak Riders. :animeangr So, naturally, I attacked them first..but since there was 3, I couldn't kill one. They just kept healing each other ;_;

Anyway, yeah. Just thought I'd share that rare moment of seeing a nearly twin of the QKT.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]Nope, there's no monthly fee for Guild Wars. After you purchase the game (which is $50 most places) you can play as much as you want with no additional fees. New expansions will also cost $50, however, unlike the cheaper expansion packs of other online games, so there is a trade off. (Assuming you want to buy the expansions, anyway. Word is that they won't be required to continue playing the original version of the game.) If you're going to be playing for more than a couple months, I think it's definitely worth it though.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Nope, there's no monthly fee for Guild Wars. After you purchase the game (which is $50 most places) you can play as much as you want with no additional fees. New expansions will also cost $50, however, unlike the cheaper expansion packs of other online games, so there is a trade off. (Assuming you want to buy the expansions, anyway. Word is that they won't be required to continue playing the original version of the game.) If you're going to be playing for more than a couple months, I think it's definitely worth it though.[/color][/quote]

$50 each? Well, I suppose that answers my question of how in the world they can afford all of this.

I'm assuming they'll be trying to get a snowball effect of new members with that one, I still fail to see how it's possible to keep that much running with no stream of revenue.

[size=1]Any media store would sell it, and it would pretty much be the same price no matter where you went. I've seen it sold in Wal-Mart, Best Buy, EB Games, Game Stop, F.Y.E (For Your Entertainment), Circuit City, Media Play...basically, anywhere that sells DVDs, CDs, games. So, I guess whichever store is near you would be the place to look/buy from. [/size]

[size=1][b]Subject: Halloween - The Mad King[/b]

Okay, he's like uber lame. I won't tell you a lot in case you read this before he visits America, but what I [i]do[/i] tell you is that it's great fun. A bit boring near the end, but still it's fun. Not really as big as I hoped though.

Anyway, Now I have an awesome hat extra. Of course, it's all about the Pumpkin Crown.

[b]Edit:[/b] Right now, I am in an other district because I heard he just roams the districts... Hmm...

[b]Edit2:[/b] Lies! LIES!![/size]

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, so I decided to skip out on trig class today. 1) Because the prof. is mainly going to be reviewing, and anything new she does cover will be recapped on Wednesday, and 2) I want to be there when this Mad King arrives. Let's see if his madness comes anywhere close to my own.

And by the way, more of you guys with level 20 characters really need to start joining me on furnace runs and such. I've sort of gotten into a circle of friends that do semi-regular Orozar farming runs and we've got it down so we pretty much just never die unless someone makes a heinous error. (Like, I dunno, Savio -- the tank -- not carrying a gear to draw aggro.) We almost always go with a full group of eight and it's always nice when we don't have to try and pick up random people to fill out the party.

Now, the reason for doing furnace runs? Well, besides it just being a lot of fun, I've made about 200k from selling green items that I've found. And Eddie has a Razorstone and a Tanzit's Defender that he's using, which are worth around 150k together. If you're looking for money, Sorrow's Furnace is the place to be.[/color]

Well, the Mad King has now hit the American servers. And as Boo says, he's good fun. It can get a little tiring, but it's still a nifty treat. It's worth it if only for the item at the end. So I suggest people do what they can to catch him throughout the day, just so they don't miss out.

He'll be appearing next at 3PM PST, and every three hours after that, I'd imagine. Remember, go to Lion's Arch at the proper times, and be part of something different. :)

Eh, I tried for that Mad King guy, but there were too many people and too many things going on at once, it was an overload for my poor computer. I couldn't even take one step without reeling, so trying to do all the "Simon says" bull was hell. I couldn't even type...so heh. I visitied with Warlock today and he caught me up to speed on all the Halloween treats in the game. I think my favorite was the candy corn guards ^_^ They looked so tasty. (I happen to love candy corn, fyi)

Well, as most (if not all) of you guys know, I'm no longer a part of QKT. I've started my own guild, and I'm doing fine. Very small at the moment, and I was just in-game to recruit...but I kinda stopped after I got some guy telling me he was a 59-year-old grandfather. Not that I have a problem with it, but I had the distinct feeling that he was jerking me around. It was pretty weird, lol. He just bluntly said "im a grandpa in rl who works in the garden and cleans house while my wife is at work"...... :animestun

Whether he was telling the truth or not, I just got a creepy vibe.

[color=Blue]I found out about the Mad King fairly randomly (and then saw it on here) so I did my best to try to catch him. I was originally going to go at 6 but I was still at school doing something for the school play then. So, I found him at 9.

Goddess, I can definitely see why you couldn't do much there. While I was there, it got to 194 districts of Lion's Arch, a lot of which I figure were pretty filled. It was fun though, as long as you had an internet connection/computer that could support it. Dying in a town was an interesting change (I kneeled instead of bowed... twice). And the Pumpkin Crown was a nice treat ^_^

I also liked the Mad King's Guards. It was really interesting to see a bunch of candy-corn henchmen following you around.
[/color]

I've been having a little fun with a War/Ran combo but I have yet to move out of the pre searing area with this toon so sadly I missed out on the Halloween fun hopefully I'll be post searing in time for the Christmas stuff though. I'm really enjoying being able to hack up enemies and sick my wolf on them not quite as defined as the EQ beastlord class but fun none the less. :animesmil

• 4 weeks later...
Hello,

I've been playing Guild Wars for quite a while but I haven't gotten on in some time now. My old guild broke up basically so I'm free for play.

I have an ascended character for PvE ready to be used for aiding lower level chars if anyone would like the assistance at some point (E/Me fire, recently E/Mo smiting build before smiting basically was nerfed). I can basically play most builds involving Monks, Mesmers, or Elementalists (and any combination in between) for PVP. I have some experience also with Necros in PVP. I typically follow Taliya Tigerclaw (R/W and now R/Mo I believe, ascended) around when I do play, my main PVP chars name is Chrysalis Amralyn so feel free to message me if you ever see me on. ;)

If anyone is interested in Tombs/GvG competitions I've also been to the hall and held it for sometime, but my skills might be a little rusty (I have a TeamSpeak server too, TS is essential for Tombs). Tombs I enjoy playing A/shock build in combo with another aftershock earth ele, or heal monk as a last resort.

So yeah, message me on there if you'd like or I'll try contacting some of you guys sometime.

~ Persocomblues

If you guys here at OB have a guild set up for us, i will gladly join your ranks :) Once i get rid of EVE and WOW (my current damn time sinks) i will resort to a free to play Guild Wars and in general have a laugh with peeps around this community :animesmil

[color=#4B0082]Nice to see some new faces interested in joining the QKT. I haven't been playing much lately, since I've been occupied with Mario Kart DS (and soon Animal Crossing: Wild World and FFIV Advance), but I'm sure I'll be back before long. I think Brasil (Jade Ashland) is still playing regularly at the moment, though, so if you see him online, he should be able to hook you up with a guild invite. Warlock is also an officer, though I'm not sure if he's active at the moment.

Or, if all else fails, PM or IM me some time and I can jump in game for a while.[/color]

Was thinking about creating a necromancer character, dont wanna do the old warrior archer thing as i usually do, wanna mess about with magic, any suggestions? and pros/cons of the necromancer? :D

yeah i forgot to ask, which server you guys gaming on, obviously wanna power up my char with the rest of you f00bs :animesmil

[quote name='Gambito']yeah i forgot to ask, which server you guys gaming on, obviously wanna power up my char with the rest of you f00bs :animesmil[/quote]

There is only one login server on Guild Wars - that is to say - all people who connect can communicate with one another through messages. There are however different districts to different areas, such as international districts - but throughout all of them communications can be sent and received without any special settings.

As for what district, depends on what district the person either goes to for a specific town/location. So all that can be discussed via private messages since those things are subject to change, but rest assured there are no special servers.

On the contrary it is worth noting that pre-searing characters cannot interact with post-searing characters regardless of district (after all it is set in a different time). Nevertheless, communications through private messages even then is possible with people in a different location from you (just make sure you have your buddies character name, any one will do if he has multiple characters and add it to your friend's list). So I'd chat with them, or jot down their handles from here.

Hope it helps.

Oh and Ele/Mesmer or Ele/Monk is always fun. I'll name a few builds using those combinations later if you'd like. =^.^=

Persocomblues

"On the contrary it is worth noting that pre-searing characters cannot interact with post-searing characters regardless of district (after all it is set in a different time). Nevertheless, communications through private messages even then is possible with people in a different location from you. So I'd chat with them, or jot down their handles from here."

Can you explain the searing thing better for me pls? :animesmil

thanks amigo

[QUOTE=Gambito]"On the contrary it is worth noting that pre-searing characters cannot interact with post-searing characters regardless of district (after all it is set in a different time). Nevertheless, communications through private messages even then is possible with people in a different location from you. So I'd chat with them, or jot down their handles from here."

Can you explain the searing thing better for me pls? :animesmil

thanks amigo[/QUOTE]Sure sure, sorry :) When you start the game with a new character you're basically in a time period known as pre-searing, it is before an epic event in the game known as the Searing (it isn't really a spoiler since the book Guild Wars comes with mentions it). War in the main storyline occurs after you level up your character enough and then you are sent to Old Ascalon.

(If you need assistance getting there I'd gladly help, but basically just speak with the job trainers, level up enough and then enter to Academy - that's your ticket to post-searing Guild Wars. It doesn't take terribly long either.)

This is where the real fun starts. Basically the storyline is about how a race known as the Charr have invaded the kingdoms of man or something and... well everything went away in a hand-basket. All is shot to hell. Old Ascalon is what remains of Ascalon (the city where you started the game), only a few years after the war... which means everything is in ruins.

This post-searing stage can be daunting... half the map (or rather a quarter of it) is covered in ruins, but as the storyline progresses (much like a single player game), you'll get to visit all the other areas beside Ascalon (areas which are still green and fertile, some are frozen lands, others are deserts, either way the scenery does change). It is important to note that this is the stage where the bulk of the game (including the ending of the single player aspect of the game) takes place.

So basically post-searing is where you will spend the rest of your time using that character. Characters from pre-searing stay in pre-searing unless they decide to go to post-searing, and characters from post-searing cannot travel back and time and party up with characters in pre-searing (Old Ascalon players cannot meet with Ascalon players... however what I meant was is that you can still private message your friends if they are playing in pre/post-searing, you just can't party up with them).

So yeah, that's basically the only limitation. Other than that something must also be said for a lack of locations revealed for some characters. If you haven't yet visited Kryta in post-searing, you can't go and visit your friend in Kryta... you just need to wait till the storyline takes you there or some people can run you there but such is a long and tedious process. Other than that people who have visited these locations can travel there freely at any time by accessing their maps.

So to play with your friends your friends need to be in the same part of the game as you (pre/post searing) and they must positively have the same locations on their map as you do (fortunately seasoned players who have traveled the map have all of the locations revealed for them). This does not apply for the entire account, only per character in PvE mode (regular story mode where most Guild Wars players play), so if you make a new character he will have to start all over again.

:) :)

[color=#4B0082]Well, you don't choose a specific server, but you do have to choose a server region. (There are North American servers, European servers, and Korean servers so far.) Our guild is in the North American region, so when you create your account, you should select that region if you want to join us.

Pre-searing is basically the newbie area where new players get acquainted with the game. All the enemies are easy, you can solo everything there if you're careful, there's no penalty for dying, etc. Once you go to post-searing, you can't go back to pre-searing. (As mentioned, time passes in between the two, so you've got a new map that you're on.) And if you're wondering what exactly the "searing" is, you find that out in the process of going from pre to post.

You can, however, communicate with whispers (PMs) and guild channel chat without regard to whether characters are in pre- or post-searing. So you could create a character, message one of our officers, join the guild, and be able to talk over guild chat with us even if our characters couldn't meet with yours right away.

And as for necros, they can be fun. They're probably my least favorite of the four caster classes, but that's just personal preference; if GW has anything going for it, it's that the game is really well balanced, so each class has its own pros and cons. Some pros for necros, though, would be that they can really screw with physical attackers (warriors especially), they get some nice health stealing abilities, and their primary attribute gives them energy (i.e. mana) whenever something nearby dies. Cons would be that they, like all the other casters, have pretty crappy armor and they only have a few hard hitting, direct damage skills.[/color]

[size=1][color=#D10000]Sadly, I'm still without GW. My wireless connection is really weak, and I don't have the money to keep going down to the net cafe and buy their coffee to get net access. Hopefully, within the next month, I'll be able to get my net problem fixed. I miss you guys! ;_; [/color][/size]

Necros? pvp? ye!

Actually as a side note Necros are really neat for unlocking skills for pvp use. As such there are a number of different builds you can make with Necros. Unfortunately sometimes in PVE they might be a little... well, not all that fun - though again, it depends on your taste (apparently Desbreko likes them; I did too at one point).

The secret to pvp is of course having a very good team. Random PVP is terrible as any seasoned Guild Wars player will tell you, although it isn't half bad for gaining faction. It's really bad for testing builds though since you rely on the builds of those you are playing with - if a team is assigned by random there is a high probability that the build combination will be unsuccessful.

Likewise pvp players usually prefer to use Tombs or Team Arenas for their pvp play. With TeamSpeak or Vent (and only with TeamSpeak or Vent since without voice communication teams will undeniably fail horribly), the experience is then enhanced three fold. Never before did I like pvp, but playing with a pvp-only guild for a while I've gained a lot of experience in it... plus it's been a fun ride, so if anyone is new to Guild Wars, surely check pvp out with a friend.

Downside? Every guild knows gvg and Tombs is a pain in the butt with a poor guild or poor team, but it might also be a pain for those that have school or work. Meh, in the end it's worth playing in... might even earn a sigil or two, or three with your team in Tombs (isn't terribly difficult depending on time and day, taking into consideration Korean times and days... heh).

However for those that enjoy playing Necros consider a coordinated team designed for gvg... perhaps a necro bomb build, blood is power, dark aura, death nova, putrid, remember to take a res sig, and of course bring your Word monks. Grah, all right enough talk, time to get playing! *Poofs*

[b]Note on gaming:[/b] I have X-Fire as well now that I think of it, so if anyone wants they can hit me up on there... PM me for my X-Fire info (primary GW char name is in one of my posts above).