OtakuBoards

The Legionnaires Underground [PG-L]

Shy

[quote name='AJeh][size=1']Hey Sage why not contact your Team Leader and see if you can work out a way to get your turn earlier/next? Just a thought..[/size][/quote]

I already did, sort of... But my real point isn't that I want to cut the line and be the next one to post, because what would that solve? I'd post my post and [I]then[/I] wait weeks before I can post the next time.

I'm just doubting that this current system isn't working for this event. Being restricted to post so little per mission, and having to post in a predetermined turn seems to kill most chances to provide something of your own to the event. It's like you will have no control over what your character does and what happens next, excluding those few times you are [I]allowed[/I] to post.

To my opinion things would go much smoother - and people would already be having fun with this event - if the posting was more free.

But ultimately the problem boils down to having to wait until one can participate in the event. Frankly, having to wait too long kills the interest.

Plus I'm kinda worried nobody has posted into any of the threads, as it suggests they are writing some sort of a short novel... :/

I'm sorry if I've misunderstood this as an rpg if it really is some sort of collection of short stories (like "hero", and to some extend "Kill Adam"), but I really didn't sign up for one of those...

EDIT: Aww sheesh, here I go whining again! Maybe I should just shut up and go draw another artwork of Melinoƫ. ;P

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sage']I'm just doubting that this current system isn't working for this event. [/quote]
[SIZE=1]Why don't you give it a chance? The current system hasn't even been working for 48 hours, and yet you can say that it's not working for the event. Give it some time; perhaps you need to leave the computer for a longer period of time. I don't want to sound mean, but you probably think it's taking forever since you have plenty of time to sit around and browse OB. I have soccer practice now, a job, and school starts in a week. Needless to say I have plenty on my plate. ^_~[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=Sage]

Plus I'm kinda worried nobody has posted into any of the threads, as it suggests they are writing some sort of a short novel... :/

[/QUOTE]

Well, as one of the team leaders, I can say [b]I[/b] haven't posted because school started yesterday for me, and my job starts today. Real life takes precedent, occasionally, and not having posts in [b]twenty five hours[/b] is nothing odd. I just haven't slammed mine out for it to be up, I want it to be quality.

Anywhoozle. I should have my starting post up by tomorrow morning. And it will be a normal length RP post...which, I will admit, is fairly long. :p[/COLOR]

You are absolutely guys, I just have too much time on my hands... When my school starts next week, I probably won't even notice that I haven't posted in this event.

I apologize for my behaviour, and stop littering this thread with my inanity now. ;P

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]I don't know about anyone else, but in my position of Group Leader I found it more difficult than simply writing a normal RP post. The PM I was sent was rather vague, and as the team leader, it was therefore my responsibility to structure the whole mission. I'd say, if most of the PMs were like that, it will take more than two or three days to get the individual threads up and going, heh.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]I know I haven't been informed yet and am not going on a "mission" yet and that's good for now because my comp is currently getting fixed. Though I'm able to use my mom's computer at her school for the time being.

Kudos again on this Shy ^.^[/SIZE]

Well, I've thought about the points made by Sage, Shy, and everyone else, and I think I might just have an idea. It seems to me that there'smore than one issue here. One is that some participants are getting impatient, wondering when their turn will come. I'm sure that's especially true among those of us such as myself who are not in missions yet, and are faced with the prospect of waiting for weeks, if not months, before we are in missions (I mean, there's still only been one post in the event itself, and that was posted by a team leader). Yes, the team leader has to post first, but aside from that, I don't think a post order is necessary.

The other issue is that some people don't have the time to post as often as others. I think Shy's concerns here are valid. It's hard to maintain the feel of a group progect when every other post is by the same person (a fact I learned the hard way). A posting order is a workable solution to this problem, but ends up causing the issue I mentioned above.

Now, those who are tired of waiting for their turn to post probably aren't going to be posting all the time. They just want to participate in the event. However, there may very well be people who'd want to post every day. So here's my idea: instead of creating a required post order, why not simply limit the frequency people are allowed to post? For example, limit Gold Team members to one post every three days (note: this is only an example). Gold team members could, of course, post less frequently than once every three days, but not more frequently. This would allow Gold Team members who can post twice a week to have the same level of participation as Gold Team members who are on every day, while at the same time giving Gold Team members eager to participate the chance to do so without waiting days or weeks for their turn.

Now, obviously the maximum post frequency (mpf) would vary between mision threads. For example, Gold Team might be limited to once every three days, while Blue Team members are allowed to post every other day, and red Teammembers once every five days. The MPF for a mission thred would be based on the number of people in that particular mission thread, as well as their avalibility. And a mission thread's mpf could be changed for each specific mission if necessary.

Any questions or comments?

I think that's an [I]excellent[/I] suggestion, Takuya! It answers to my problem, while it probably satisfies Shy as well. I really hope Shy at least considers this option.

It's the fifth day of the game, and yes, only one post has appeared into the four threads. Isn't anybody else at least bit worried?

Anyhow, if you're bored, check out the new art at the Legionnaires Artwork -thread! I made a group picture of the Gold Team in their first mission, and Lore has apparently started making character art. Go her! ;D

[font=arial][size=1][color=indigo]Shy carefully considered the posting order for each mission, and puts a lot of stock in the posting order format. It's mainly in place to work off the strenths of various writers, and make sure noone posts excessively, but I'm sure he could expand on that reasoning, heh. In short, I doubt your suggestion will be implemented.[/color][/size][/font]

[SIZE=1]I think everyone is forgetting that [b]these posts are really hard to create. A group leader must set the tone for the rest of the group, inform everyone else of exactly what is happening, and hint at a solution. Please, be patient. Stop nagging; it's getting annoying. No one is going to rush their post just because you want to see another reply. Quality over quantity.[/b][/SIZE]

Honestly though, this is just a larger-scale RPG, nobody's expecting the posts to be larger than life or ground-breakingly innovative!

I know that the nagging is annoying, but I'm experienced in creating RPGs here at the OtakuBoards, and I [I]know[/I] for a fact that if people get restricted too much (or if too much is expected from them), they lose interest and never post at all! I have made the very same mistake in several of the games I've created myself!

Nothing has happened yet, so of course no radical changes should be made as of yet, but [I]if[/I] there are no new posts after next week, people should really start pondering what is the problem here.

For now, I'm contended with waiting "patiently", but I also think problems should be solved in advance, before you're up to your waist in trouble.

[SIZE=1]Sage, I don't think you're understand. It doesn't need to be ground-breakingly innovative, but it has to be up to par. There's alot resting on a group leader's shoulders, alot of which I don't think you're grasping. This is why the posts have been taking so long thus far. I do believe, though, that once people get started things will flow much faster.[/SIZE]

I agree, Retri. And sorry for kinda underestimating your position. :/

Hey, congrats on making the second post! I really am positive that this game will pick up wind behind its sails from now on. ;D

I know I'm fussing over this, but take it as a sign that I'm really dedicated to the game, and wish nothing but best for it.

Jesus, this thing's supposed to be [i]fun[/i]. I'm not in it, but everyone's fussing is just annoying.

[b]Sage[/b], I personally agree with alot of your concerns, because I'm one of those people who likes things to get going as soon as it starts because otherwise I turn to the negative immediately. However, like people are saying, just give it time. Alot of people are away at this point anyway. For example, Break.

[b]To the others[/b], just because you're not in a mission doesn't mean you shouldn't be writing little short stories about your characters. In fact, I highly recommend you do for it'll give you a higher vantage point, a more in depth character and it will make it much easier for other characters to interact with yours.

Go do some art or something, lol.

[color=#F84E20][SIZE=1]Sage, I'm not sure if you were around at the time of "Anime Stereotype High School", created by Solo Tremaine, but that was a massive role-play and it worked out very well. Yes, it did actually die in the end and I think Solo realised that the RP didn't have enough control and people ended up taking it in any which direction.

Considering you haven't been in a mass role-play before (I have, believe me, I know it?s hard if there is not enough control and restricted posting) and you are not the one who created and planned it and indeed you are not a team leader I do believe that you should stop hanging on every detail, picking out what [I]could[/I] go wrong before the RP has even got of the ground and let it run it's course.

Shy must have put a very, very long time into organising this and I sincerely doubt he would have launched it if he hadn't considered every possibly way in which this project could go wrong. Give him a little respect by giving his event a chance without criticising his methods.

Edit: Zidargh beat me to the post. I started replying before he did.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Imi][color=#F84E20][SIZE=1]
Considering you haven't been in a mass role-play before (I have, believe me, I know it?s hard if there is not enough control and restricted posting) and you are not the one who created and planned it and indeed you are not a team leader I do believe that you should stop hanging on every detail, picking out what [I]could[/I] go wrong before the RP has even got of the ground and let it run it's course.
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Umm, [I]excuse me[/I]? It's very dangerous to make assumptions like that, Imi, as I have created ten more or less successfull RPGs (don't even know how many I've participated myself), one of them being the [I]Final Fantastic Survivor[/I] that was a huge project that lasted for nearly half an year with over 500 posts! I've had over ten players in almost all of my RPGs, so I [I]really[/I] know how the RPGs here work! I'm no beginner in the subject!

I [I]know[/I] I've been annoying, but it doesn't give you the right to go all personal on me, especially claiming things that you don't even know!

I've apologized several times in this very thread for my fussing and whining, although there [I]are[/I] real reasons behind them, so why are you lashing me anymore?

Besides, I'm not "hanging on every detail", the posting restrictions are my [I]only[/I] concern!

Geez, next time at least read my posts before you start insulting me!

[color=#F84E20][SIZE=1]I did and you misread mine. When I said mass-role-play I did in no way mean amount of posts. Anime Stereotype High School had 20+ players and about 60 posts. I was not insulting you, Sage; please do not perceive my post to be doing so. I know you are no beginner to role-playing and neither am I, but from what I've read in your posts here you made yourself sound as if you were nit picking at every detail.

I was pointing out that you seem to be throwing up a lot of ideas about what could go wrong in this role-play without letting it have a little bit of a run first. That's all I was saying, how you take it is very different.

Now, to keep this on topic. I look forward to my turn in the missions and I'm rather thankful that I'm not one of the first to post. It seems I have more coursework than I first believed.

Best of luck to the Team Leaders, I've spoken to the only two who've posted and it seems that it's quite a job to handle.

(Zidargh, top-notch suggestion (^_~) I think I may just work on some short stories while the other teams carry out their missions.)[/SIZE][/COLOR]

I still don't understand how you don't see Final Fantastic Survivor as a mass-RPG - it [I]did[/I] have eleven players if you count me in! In one other rpg I got over 20 sign-ups, but that one died because I accepted them all and the quality and consistency went down because of it.

Really, I've been worrying about ONE single thing in this thread, it is hardly nitpicking over every detail!

And as I said before, I [I]am[/I] giving this game time now, I [I]am[/I] backing off, I learned my lesson from the first two people who "disciplined" me, there was no need for you to get at it as well, Imi! :(

Like I said, I only want the best for this game...

[quote name='Sage']In one other rpg I got over 20 sign-ups, but that one died because I accepted them all and the quality and consistency went down because of it.[/quote] [COLOR=#006aaf][SIZE=1]And that's [i]exactly[/i] Shy's concern. [B]The Legionnaires[/B] is a [i]community[/i] event, which means that the number of players is probably double what yours had. If Shy did not implement the posting order then it would quickly lose it's quality and the story would jump all over the place, just as yours had. I'm not saying it's the best for the players that really want to start participating, but I am saying it's best for the [i]game[/i], which you claim is all you want.

I want to post just as badly as you do, but I don't feel that questioning Shy's plans for the RPG will make it go any faster.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[color=crimson]Contrary to what you may think, your opinion has the possibility of not being that relevant/interesting/worthwhile to others aside from yourself. You should remember this prior to opening your mouth with such alarming frequency.

Sage, I'm fairly confident that Shy has experience that [strike]significantly[/strike] outdoes yours. I think he can handle this in a most honorable and efficient fashion. If not, we can just form a lynch mob or something. Good times.

Ta-ta.[/color]

[size=1]Ok, well I for one think that we should start using this thread properly, and not just as an excuse to ***** and moan at each other for not posting quickly enough. Sage, it is good to see that you have decided to back off/cool down, as you were getting a little antsy. But that is not a reason for everyone to start laying into Sage. He obviously has a lot of RPG experience under his belt, so I think we can safely say that his posting will be of good quality.

So hows about we start using this thread like it was meant to be used, for questions and suggestions about the RP?

I'd just like to thank Shy for creating this event, and I can tell it will be a lot of fun once it gets going. It must have taken a huge amount of effort on his part to create such a huge event, and I for one am thankful for this effort.
[/size]

[QUOTE=Takuya]So here's my idea: instead of creating a required post order, why not simply limit the frequency people are allowed to post? For example, limit Gold Team members to one post every three days (note: this is only an example). Gold team members could, of course, post less frequently than once every three days, but not more frequently. This would allow Gold Team members who can post twice a week to have the same level of participation as Gold Team members who are on every day, while at the same time giving Gold Team members eager to participate the chance to do so without waiting days or weeks for their turn.

Now, obviously the maximum post frequency (mpf) would vary between mision threads. For example, Gold Team might be limited to once every three days, while Blue Team members are allowed to post every other day, and red Teammembers once every five days. The MPF for a mission thred would be based on the number of people in that particular mission thread, as well as their avalibility. And a mission thread's mpf could be changed for each specific mission if necessary.

Any questions or comments?[/QUOTE]
[size=1]I think the MPF system (as I'll call it from now on, unless you have a better name, Takuya) is a very interesting alternative to a chapter/mission-based system, or simply having no posting restrictions at all. There are several upcoming projects I'd like to work on in The Arena, and the next time I catch you online I'd love to discuss the possibilities of using such a system.

But The Legionnaires will continue using the system I have already established. I assure you that the frequency of posts will change with future missions, and hopefully any complaints Sage and other members have can be addressed as the event moves forward.

Aside from that, I'd like to ask that any bickering be kept outside of this thread. The purpose of The Legionnaires Underground is to address various members' questions, comments, concerns and suggestions. Please use that valuable time and energy to create artwork, or prepare side-stories for [b]The Legionnaires: Arbiter[/b], which will be launching (later than originally scheduled) sometime this weekend.

Thank you again for everyone's concerns and suggestions, I'd like to see you folks keep up the good work.

-Shy[/size]

[size=1]And now, just to try and calm the mood and explain an additional thought to Sage, you said that when you had 20 or so players, it lost it's quality and consistency. If there is no posting order - i.e. no specified time that you have to post, then there are those who will post compulsively, and those who will drift away. Eventually, your 20 or so players will dwindle, and you'll only have a 'core' group of 6 or so rabid posters. And you know, eventually the grand aims that your 20 character RPG had will stagnate. By having a posting order, [b]it encourages posting[/b], even if it lengthens the time between posts.

Do you see where I'm coming from?[/size]