OtakuBoards

The Legionnaires Underground [PG-L]

Shy

Err, I wasn't actually using the "20+ players RPG" as an example, I was just trying to point out that I have experience on RPGs with several dozen players to those who doubted me.

The problem of my game is that I had no restrictions what-so-ever. This game [I]at first[/I] felt to me that it was the opposite, overcontrolling. I don't see it that way anymore, but I honestly think that by dividing the players into five different threads AND choosing the players, the good quality and consistency are [I]already[/I] guaranteed!

In that game of mine you used as an example, I had neither of those features. This game has those two, PLUS the post limit PLUS the posting order! It all just felt too overly controlled to me at first.

But as said, I have come to terms with the fact that I'm not allowed to post as freely as I would've wanted [I]at this point of the event[/I], so there's no need to constantly try to prove me wrong anymore - let alone bash me!

I thought I had earned at least some respect as a quality RPer (like Fallen pointed out) in the past, but apparently all that has slipped into oblivion, and people think I'm some sort of a newbie.

Well, enough self-pity! Hey, [B]there's a whole new thread in the Event![/B] An unannounced surprise, Shy? Well, I'm glad you gave most of the players left outside the first four threads a chance to participate now. ;) Hmm, to my calculations (which are almost always incorrect) there are only [B]three players[/B] besides Shy who aren't signed up for a mission now.

I'm feeling quite giddy about the future in this event. I mean imagine, after the first missions are over, characters are getting killed! Or am I mistaken, will the "killings" occur during the missions?

Take that as a question, Shy! ;)

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Sage]Hey, [B]there's a whole new thread in the Event![/B] An unannounced surprise, Shy? Well, I'm glad you gave most of the players left outside the first four threads a chance to participate now. ;) Hmm, to my calculations (which are almost always incorrect) there are only [B]three players[/B] besides Shy who aren't signed up for a mission now.

I'm feeling quite giddy about the future in this event. I mean imagine, after the first missions are over, characters are getting killed! Or am I mistaken, will the "killings" occur during the missions?

Take that as a question, Shy! ;)[/QUOTE]
[size=1]This is correct, there are three players (not including myself) who are not included in a specific mission. Am I being cruel? Not really, I just have something special in mind for these three characters in particular.

There was (and still may be) plans to add additional groups into the RPG. Currently that number is set at five, although things are likely to change in any number of ways as the game progresses.

Some players may be killed in the actual Mission Threads, others may be killed in The Legionnaires: Arbiter, and there might still be a third option available. That's really as cryptic as I'd like to be for now.

Happy posting.

-Shy[/size]

In Sage's defense, I have to admit that it was clear alot of you simply jumped on the bandwagon simply to rant and rave about something that was clearly knocked on the head a few times before. It was uncalled for by quite a few people (Imi, you turned it into a 'I'm a more experienced RP-er than you are, so there' argument.) That's just an example, I'm not just focusing on you, so no worries.

However, Sage I don't think the best way to react is to try and prove a point that you're not a newbie to the Adventure Arena. Alot of these people weren't around to see your threads (And yes, FFSurvivor was actually, one of the few survivors on these boards).

Either way, I can't believe how much controversy was sparked off. Kill Adam had long pauses inbetween, yet people seemed to love it. 'hero' had [i]huge[/i] pauses in between because of a couple of certain people. *Cough* Me *Cough*.

You may find that things suddenly pick up and Shy has a hard time notifying team leaders of new missions.

As said, it's early days. Chill out. And start building up your character. If you do so, you could contribute to a very deep story.

[b][Z][/b]

[FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkOrchid]So much drama, and I'm not even up for posting for the Red Team yet. Thrilling I say...just thrilling.

While I'm not a huge fan of the strict posting order, I agree that the posts will be better thought out and worth the wait. Secondly, I'm rather glad there is an order, and that the order is currently what it is. I'm barely able to use the computer now, seeing as how the apartment I'm moving into tomorrow isn't even set up for internet yet. My grandmother's internet here is a measly 28K, so you can imagine how many minutes it took for this page to load. I could eat, use the bathroom, shower, and come back to find it still loading.

I am curious though about the thread ratings. I noticed that the Red Team had a very low rating, while another Team had M-SVL. I'm mildly disturbed by that, seeing as how the Red Team is the one currently killing small children. Anyway, I'm just curious why they're so different, and what purpose could be served by having them as such.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Actually I think I know why my team's thread has such a high rating. If I'm not mistaken, Generic NPC #3's posts will all be M only. So I think Shy was just taking the high road and labeling the whole thread M to be safe. I could be wrong though. I know I freaked a bit when I saw my thread's rating. I believe my exact quote was "I'm going to die" but anyways...

I'll also add how exciting this is and say congrats to Shy on the good work.

[size=1]I was just about to say something but then I realised it may or may not be 'confidential'.. Shy, [b]is the posting order of any team to be kept secret at all or can we mention that freely?[/b] Random small question that just hit me now.

People shouldn't doubt Sage's experience with RPGs, lol. I've been in a couple of his and FF Survivor > *. And also if you guys have anything to say to someone directly why not PM them ;p (like me because I rock)[/size]

[quote name='Neuvoxraiha][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=DarkOrchid]I am curious though about the thread ratings. I noticed that the Red Team had a very low rating, while another Team had M-SVL. I'm mildly disturbed by that, seeing as how the Red Team is the one currently killing small children. Anyway, I'm just curious why they're so different, and what purpose could be served by having them as such.[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
[size=1]Having different thread ratings for different Mission Threads simply makes sense to me. A lot of members are pushing towards writing adult content, but I feel like one doesn't have to include a lot of sex or violence to neccessarily make it 'adult.' This should prove to be an interesting challenge for members, and I hope it doesn't turn out to be very controversial.

As for the dead children, it appears that my mission briefing was misunderstood. Um... yeah... I may need to increase the rating on that particular thread.

[b]Ajeh:[/b] The posting order is no secret; why anyone who isn't in the thread would want to know the posting order is beyond me.

-Shy[/size]

[size=1]Oh okay. I was thinking it could've been secret because of the fact that the posting order was PMed to us and not shown 'publicly' in our Team threads.. maybe for some sort of what's-next suspense
:animesigh

Anyway, what I wanted to ask:
If you're posting last, do you get to close the story off how you wish or do we leave a gap for a Arbiter closing afterwards or what?
[/size] :animeknow

[QUOTE=AJeh][size=1]Oh okay. I was thinking it could've been secret because of the fact that the posting order was PMed to us and not shown 'publicly' in our Team threads.. maybe for some sort of what's-next suspense
:animesigh

Anyway, what I wanted to ask:
If you're posting last, do you get to close the story off how you wish or do we leave a gap for a Arbiter closing afterwards or what?
[/size] :animeknow[/QUOTE]
[size=1]I just like to send members PMs because they're more inclined to read the posting order that way. I'm not saying people don't check the Underground thread, but I'd rather use this method. It's just personal preference, no big deal.

If you are the last to post on your mission you will be closing off the chapter. Not me, not your Group Leader, you. Any loose threads from various missions may find themselves getting resolved in [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=49208][b]The Legionnaires: Arbiter[/b][/url], which I just posted. Hopefully members use this as an opportunity to explore their characters in some more detail, and keep busy between mission assignments.

-Shy[/size]

I'm handing over my congrats, and must say that I'm really exciteted about this whole giant event. I've been reading the posts so far, and am really...what's the word...*5 min later* uh, between intreeged and impressed for a lack of better words.

Again, much kudos to go around. Everything's just been so interesting so far.

[size=1][quote name='Shy']This is correct, there are three players (not including myself) who are not included in a specific mission. Am I being cruel? Not really, I just have something special in mind for these three characters in particular.[/quote] I count 23 in Teams, 28 total...

But anyway, it is good to know we haven't been forgotten :p[/size]

You're right Baron Samedi, there are [I]four[/I] people besides Shy who aren't in any teams - you, DDG, Solar Princess and Unborn Lord Xion (see, I [I]told[/I] you I can't count! ;P )

Oh, the Arbiter is up?! Gotta go check it out! ;D

Oh, and a question: [B]is the Body Bag -thread(or threads) a poll, or do we have a panel of judges or something?[/B]

[quote name='Shy][size=1']This is correct, there are three players (not including myself) who are not included in a specific mission. Am I being cruel? Not really, I just have something special in mind for these three characters in particular.[/size][/quote]

[COLOR=GREEN]I was feeling a little naglected(sp?) there for a second, but now I feel special :catgirl: I guess in a way it's a good thing I'm not in a mission right now, since I'm currently involved in 2 RPG's, I'm moving into my dorm next Sat. and I'm currently displaced due to Hurricane Katrina :animedepr Hopfully when it comes time for me to post, my life won't be so hecktic.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Sage]Oh, and a question: [B']is the Body Bag -thread(or threads) a poll, or do we have a panel of judges or something?[/B][/quote]
[size=1]That's a good question, and I don't plan on answering it. Be patient, and you'll see what 'Body Bags' is all about.

[b]Baron:[/b] You are correct, I just don't know how to count. Just the same, there are special plans for [i]all[/i] the characters who have yet to be featured in the event.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR=#006aaf][SIZE=1]I'd like to apologize to the members of the Blue Team. In my sign up, I said I could post almost everyday, but my uncles and cousin came out to visit, and so my normal computer hours have changed a bit. And not only that, but everytime I [i]do[/i] get on, I go to reply to the Mission Thread, but can't come up with anything or end up having to leave the screen up and get off the computer.

But, not to worry. After a weeks wait, I've finally gotten some incentive to get my post up, so expect to see my reply up either by tonight or tomorrow morning.

Once again, sorry to all the Blue Team members. Especially the ones who had to wait to post after me. ^_^;;[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=Trebuchet MS]Blue Team members will notice that I've been using both 'he' and 'she' in my post, depending on the gender that my character is at the time. Is it distracting at all? Because I can just say 'she' the whole time if it interferes with readability.

(I know this is a Blue Team affair right now, but there's the possibility I'll RP with other people at a later date, so I thought I'd better post this rather than by PM. Though it's probably best to give me answers by PM, so as not to clutter the Underground.)
[/font]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][QUOTE=Raiyuu][font=Trebuchet MS]Blue Team members will notice that I've been using both 'he' and 'she' in my post, depending on the gender that my character is at the time. Is it distracting at all? Because I can just say 'she' the whole time if it interferes with readability.

(I know this is a Blue Team affair right now, but there's the possibility I'll RP with other people at a later date, so I thought I'd better post this rather than by PM. Though it's probably best to give me answers by PM, so as not to clutter the Underground.)
[/font][/QUOTE]

I don't find it distracting at all...it keeps Mirror in character well, and lets me [at least] know which she/he is before you necessarily say...[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]Out of curiosity, how long do you think a post should be? To be an acceptable length for the Mission threads? I'm rather inquisitive, as sometimes, in the Red Mission thread, they're either too short or just not with enough depth.

Second, would it be better to incorporate everyone and keep them in character, or should one's post have just one or two people interacting?[/COLOR]

[color=Navy]I must make my apologies to the [color=Green][b]Green Team [/b][color=Navy]I haven't had time to post until now.

I decided I'd put up a picture of the monsters we're battling from my post, since my description isn't very good, and it may help some to post. So here it is:

[/color][/color][/color] [center][color=Navy][color=Green][color=Navy][img]http://image2.sina.com.cn/gm/upload/20050329/165/1112081515/img/info/2/monster_wolf.gif[/img][/color][/color][/color]
[/center]

[QUOTE=Neuvoxraiha][COLOR=DarkOrchid]Out of curiosity, how long do you think a post should be? To be an acceptable length for the Mission threads? I'm rather inquisitive, as sometimes, in the Red Mission thread, they're either too short or just not with enough depth.

Second, would it be better to incorporate everyone and keep them in character, or should one's post have just one or two people interacting?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[size=1]1) I don't really have a set post length in mind. Really, some members can get their points across in a few paragraphs, while other may require something much longer. I trust the judgement of the players involved.

2) Once again it's up to the individual player. I'd like to see some insight into all of these character and the group dynamics at work here, so I urge players to have their characters interact as much as possible. There has been some fantastic work so far. Write whatever feels right, really.

I'd like to urge everyone to keep posting in Arbiter, and the artwork thread. There has been some great work in there so far, and what happens in Arbiter will have a profound effect on the story.

-Shy[/size]

• 3 weeks later...
Okay, here's the deal: the Gold Team's first mission is drawing to conclusion, as there are four active players assigned to it (no sign of Break?) , and everybody else has posted twice, except me, who is the last in line.

So a question: is it my duty/honor to conclude the mission, or should I leave the end of my post open for somebody else (René? Shy?) to end the mission? I have a good (in my opinion) ending thought in my mind now that I read Gavin's last post, I was just wondering if I'm the one who gets to do it...

I'll hold my posting until there's a reply.

[SIZE=1]Well since the wrapping up of the current Gold Team mission is only one post away, the Body Bag section can't be that far away. If one person per team is killed off, might I suggest that Break's character be forfeit from the current roster due to inactivity. Break himself hasn't been online in nearly seven weeks and so either he has just stopped coming to OB, or God-forbid something has happened to him, but either way it would seem that the death of his character would be fair given the circumstances.

I'm not saying this out of any kind of animosity or an attempt to safeguard my own character, and given that we know nothing about the Body Bags section yet I could be just waffling, but should one character per Team die I feel personally that Break's character be the most obvious one to be killed off. I think I've said enough so I'm just going to be quiet and wait for other people's (particularly Gold Team members) response to this.[/SIZE]