OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[QUOTE=Charles]A) He closely resembles Boris.

B) Kevin knew a hell of a lot about anime and could be a likable person at times--which is how he gained the help of many key OB members with AE Boards. Initially he had a positive impact on theOtaku.com and his vast knowledge was certainly an asset on the boards.

C) He went crazy, treated his friends like crap by abusing them day in and day out, which ultimately severed his relationship with them.

I don't make up the facts; I just report them. :cool:[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I was only referring the the "went crazy" part; I just didn't want to break up the sentence.

Also, my point is that the language used doesn't represent a neutral point of view. Just try writing "Tom Cruise* could have continued a successful and profitable career with Paramount had he not been crazy," on Wikipedia and see how long that stays.

That being said, I don't care. I actually prefer it your way. : )

*Tom Cruise used because it's too damn late to think up something more clever.[/color]

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]I meant when he was being lighthearted and charming, of course...

:animeswea [/font][/QUOTE]

[CENTER][IMG]http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/8407/rkeldidherego3.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Also, the main thread should pretty much be up to date now.

And Nerdsy, I see your point now. It's just difficult to exclude negativity from posts about him after the whole AE Pike thing. His craziness aside, that alone to this day makes me want to insult him. lol

I'm certainly interested in this project, it's been great to see the information grow during the weekend, and I really hope it will continue expanding in the future (so that this isn't just another of those two-week projects OB has seen during it's long history).

My only grit is that currently Otakupedia is so heavily focused on nostalgy and reminiscense - generally stuff that the majority of the current active memberbase hasn't experienced. I haven't even seen any requests to make articles about current members or recent happenings in this thread yet. I guess I just fear that this project alienates the newer members and turns into an oldie fest... :/

[QUOTE=Sandy]I'm certainly interested in this project, it's been great to see the information grow during the weekend, and I really hope it will continue expanding in the future (so that this isn't just another of those two-week projects OB has seen during it's long history).

My only grit is that currently Otakupedia is so heavily focused on nostalgy and reminiscense - generally stuff that the majority of the current active memberbase hasn't experienced. I haven't even seen any requests to make articles about current members or recent happenings in this thread yet. I guess I just fear that this project alienates the newer members and turns into an oldie fest... :/[/QUOTE]
[font=Arial][size=2]I disagree. I think this way it becomes more open to newer members. They'll start to understand the in jokes that otherwise, they just wouldn't get. It's also an exercise in inclusion -- [i]everyone[/i] can contribute, and more than that, they can see every point of view.

If you still have an issue with it, there's really quite a simple solution; add a feature about something that you think is current and up to date. ;)

And Boo: I was the N.F.P. Queen and look where I am now, lol. If James was holding grudges, I'd be in serious trouble. :p The Newbie Lounge was great fun though. I don't think I've enjoyed myself on that level since. [/size][/font]

[size=1]Yeah, why didn?t I become moderator yet? :(

I?m going to write some things about the spriting forum. It?s lacking in names and facts so hereby [b]I?d like to request if someone can add to my piece[/b] (or make their own/better version). For instance, who made the spriting thread and what was it called?

I think it?s clear to see which parts [I]really[/I] need adjusting. Well, apart from names, I?m not sure if there?s anything about the former spriting community that is still alive.
[indent][b]The Spriting Forum[/b]

[list]About spriting[/list]
Spriting is basically the term used for creating (and adjusting) videogame sprites. The most popular sprites to adjust were very likely the sprites from the Megaman series. The adjustments mostly vary from just simply recolouring the sprites? original colours, to almost completely customizing the sprite.

[list]The thread[/list]
The original idea for a forum, dedicated to spriting came forth from a thread [color=red](made by __)[/color] in the Art Studio [color=red](was it named differently?)[/color] called [color=red]?Sprites, report?[/color].

This thread was eventually being overloaded by posts and was incredibly hard to keep track of. At one point, [color=red]someone[/color] decided that it was time to make a separate forum for those who enjoy spriting.

[list]The forum[/list]

The spriting forum was a forum solely for people to discuss and post sprites in. It was located in the former [i]Otaku Art & Design[/i] category, along with the forums [i]Art & Design[/i] (now [i]Art Studio[/i]) and [i]Banner/Avater Request[/i] (now a subforum of the [i]Art Studio[/i]).

At first it seemed like a splendid idea and there was quite some activity in the forum. But as crowded as the original thread was, the forum didn?t get as much posts in it. Commenting on sprites became easier this way, but not many people seemed to feel the urge to post a thread solely to show off some recolours they made.

After a not too long while, the forum died, with a post per day at most. In fact, [i]Art & Design[/i] generally had ten times as much posts. It was no wonder that the forum had been taken down with the next big update.

[list]Active members[/list]
Examples of active members of the spriting community in the past, are: DragonballZMan, Alexander, Kazuko, Xra, Warlock, Final Flash, Boo, [color=red]any more important people?[/color].
[/indent]

Hereby I also like to write down some things for the member [b]Alexander[/b]. I would write one about DragonballZMan, but for some reason I have the idea that others know him better than I do.

[indent][b]Alexander[/b]

[b]Category:[/b] Old members

Alexander was one of the most active spriters in the former Spriting Forum. Apart from posting his own sheets of sprites, he also liked to help beginning spriters to get better by making tutorials. These tutorials explained the basics of spriting.

Outside of the Spriting Forum he was known as someone with a great liking towards Megaman and he also made some Fan-Fics to strengthen that image.[/size][/indent]

[quote name='Lady Asphyxia][font=Arial][size=2]I disagree. I think this way it becomes more open to newer members. They'll start to understand the in jokes that otherwise, they just wouldn't get. It's also an exercise in inclusion -- [i]everyone[/i] can contribute, and more than that, they can see every point of view.[/size'][/font][/quote]

I agree that OB [I]as a whole[/I] will become more open to newer members this way, with the site history and nostalgic blasts from the past all documented to one thread, but I fail to see how that [I]encourages[/I] them to contribute to the Otakupedia in any way. [I]I[/I] for one would feel very intimidated to post anything in this thread if I had only been a member here for less than two years. At this current state, Otakupedia is pretty much run by the old foggies rambling about stuff that happened years ago.

[QUOTE=Lady Asphyxia][font=Arial][size=2]
If you still have an issue with it, there's really quite a simple solution; add a feature about something that you think is current and up to date. ;)
[/size][/font][/QUOTE]

I didn't mean it like that. Actually, I'm [I]compelled[/I] to write an article this week if I want to win Otaku Idol 2. I would've contributed in the near future any way. Nevertheless, I'm not a new member by far, so I can't say I'd represent that part of OB very well.

I think the newer members need more encouragement to post here, so rather than doing it all by myself, I'll ask people to write articles about forums such as the [B]Manga Workshop[/B] and the [B]Adventure Underground[/B], events such as [B]the Legionnaires[/B] and [B]the Nifty Fifty[/B], and members such as [B]Aaryanna[/B] and [B]Raiyuu[/B]. ;D

[quote name='Sandy']My only grit is that currently Otakupedia is so heavily focused on nostalgy and reminiscense - generally stuff that the majority of the current active memberbase hasn't experienced. I haven't even seen any requests to make articles about current members or recent happenings in this thread yet. I guess I just fear that this project alienates the newer members and turns into an oldie fest... :/[/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]So write about something new. =p

The people who have been posting know a lot about the past. Let us revel in some nostalgia and our tributes to old friends. We're getting old, and our feeble minds can't hold these memories much longer. =][/size][/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed][quote name='Sandy]I agree that OB [I]as a whole[/I] will become more open to newer members this way, with the site history and nostalgic blasts from the past all documented to one thread, but I fail to see how that [I]encourages[/I] them to contribute to the Otakupedia in any way. [I]I[/I'] for one would feel very intimidated to post anything in this thread if I had only been a member here for less than two years. At this current state, Otakupedia is pretty much run by the old foggies rambling about stuff that happened years ago.[/quote]I've rather enjoyed reading the entries as its made a number of odd references actually make sense. I've only been here for a year and four months so it's actually been driving me a little nuts not knowing what the references are. I attempted to try and do some staff interviews a while ago (it totally flopped) So I've been thrilled to see this as my interest in the interviews was mainly to get some history on the site. And in all honesty, this idea is a thousand times better than what I was trying to do. Especially because anyone can contribute. ;)

As for feeling intimidated, that is not the case, rather I've been waiting and watching to get a feel for the format and types of articles as writing is not my strong point. And I assume that anything I write can later be edited by other members to include things I forgot. Because if no one beats me to it I intend to write up one on notable threads as The DailyOtaku absolutely has to be part of this. No other thread has made my laugh as much as it did. And after that Des needs an entry on how he inspired a fan club just for him, though that could be part of the one on Aaryanna as it was her idea and she pretty much got it going. ;)[/COLOR]

Yeah, seriously, time spent lamenting on how this all involves things from years ago could have been time spent writing about something you're more familiar with for inclusion. It's not like Charles and others working on it are ignoring anything in here.

Hey, I can't say it any more plainly than I did in the thread's opening post:

[quote name='Charles]As a longtime member of the boards, I realize that this place has a rich, unique culture. Older members often reminisce over fond memories [B]and as time goes on, we make new ones[/B]. With Otakupedia, we can create a catalogue of entries dedicated to the past [B]and present [/B] of OB. [B]Newer members and older members alike[/B] can contribute entries based on almost anything relevant to the forums--whether that entry happens to be about the old Digimon forum, a current member, OB marriages, staff history, kuja's banning, safer sephiroth, OB spinoffs (AE Boards), thimok, Enter the Net, [B]Otaku Idol 2[/B']--it's all up to you![/quote]

Also, from post #24:

[quote name='Charles]Thanks, that's really my goal. Right now we're adding a lot of cool OtakuBoards history that I don't really want to have disappear as time goes on, [B]but if really if any newer members are reading this, feel free to contribute with what's going on right now or fairly recently that's important. [/B'] [/quote]

I think all it takes right now is for people to take the incentive to look around the boards and find something they would like to write about. I have not placed any roadblocks in this thread to stop them. Members can write about anything; they can write about an RPG they're in right now that they think is great. They can write about Chibihorsewoman. The issue with Papa Smurf is really current and worth writing about. What about MAMA? That just happened this past summer. How about the Nifty Fifty? That happens every year. Or the Legionnaires? I've never put a limit on any of this.

Honestly, people don't always have to "go to the well", so to speak, to find something to write about. That's simply not the case. ;)

Also, I noticed that indifference mentioned "The Daily Otaku." Does anyone have the images I made of that for my myOtaku back in the day? That would probably be helpful. Plus I just miss them. :(

[color=crimsnon]In the spirit of something new....

[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54015&page=1&pp=15"]MAMA[/url]

MAMA, or Members Against Mods and Admins, was a group of dissenting older members who got together out of a mutual understanding that the post quality of OtakuBoards was in a decline.

MAMA initially formed as a secretive group, a bit like the [[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Brethren"]Exclusive Brethren Church[/url].] It was, however, exposed by some of it's members in the post-quality themed Suggestions and Feedback thread, "The Complaint" much to the chagrin of it's more secretive members.

Other members participating in "The Complaint" were a little perplexed in regards to how a movement title MAMA could be advocating a return to quality when it was taking potshots at the staff. In reailty, MAMA only seemed to target newer, younger moderators and their perceived inability to be online as often as they should or enforce the rules as stricly as they should. MAMA regarded some of these newer moderators, actually listed in the initial post of the thread, as being inferior to the moderators of old. (See old members: Safer Spehiroth, Babygirl, GinnyLyn)

Eventually "The Complaint" was closed and MAMA died off afterward. It should be noted that MAMA's confrontational name was a big reason why the movement failed to gain any serious ground, and ended up in the dustpan following the closure of "The Complaint."

-------------------------------

[img]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/4868/otakuidol2banneridea02copyve4.jpg[/img]

[img]http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/5679/currentmx5.jpg[/img]

[b]Otaku Idol 2: Who wants to become an Even Master?[/b]

[i]Otaku Idol 2: Who wants to become an Even Master? [/i] Simply known as Otaku Idol 2, is a 2006 and current event located in Community Events forum, formerly known as the Event Arena.

Billed as the first ever 'audition' for a staff role on OtakuBoards,the winner of Otaku Idol 2 will become the next Events Master, taking over from long time moderator and Events Master [i]Shy[/i], who is stepping down at the conclusion to this event.

The contest is not actually run as a bona fide RPG per se, rather, it is an opportunity for contestanst to run their own community event, to prove they have what it takes to be a successful Event Master should they be chosen to succeed Shy in this position.

The Events currently in contention for Otaku Idol 2 are:

[list]
[*]White's Mafia
[*]Sandy's Labyrinth
[*]Gavin's Kumite
[/list]While White and Sandy have both started their RPG in respect to auditions, Gavin's Kumite languishes in the signup stage, requiring more interest and signups to get under way.[/color]

[font=arial][size=1][color=indigo]Shinje is a long time member of OB who is almost universally overlooked. He originally came to OB as 's@bretooth', but quickly settled into a pattern of 'Shinji' related names, which initially caused him no end of trouble, due to 'Shinji' being the name of one of the people who brought down version 2 of OtakuBoards. He spent a good portion of his early years at OB escaping this stigma.

Shinje has been a quiet contributor to OB, rarely embarking on anything large (and, sadly, when trying to, being ignored), and often being mistaken as new member. He changes his avatar and sig themes almost often as he changes his usernames, and references to obscure pop culture have almost become a trademark of his sig/av sets. Despite his lowkey presence, however, Shinje has always watched quietly from the sideline, and his in-depth Otakupedia articles about very early OB phenomena are testament to this.

Shinje is from New Zealand and thus pretty awesome. He looks nothing like Shinji from Neon Genesis Evagelion. This is all we know about his personal life.[/color][/size][/font]

[size=1][b]DeadSeraphim[/b]

DeadSeraphim (aka Alan, aka Completely Random Hero, CrH, Alan, Aiyisha and René) is a popular member, renown throughout the boards for both his cynicism and technical ability.

More often than not DeadSeraphim?s posts are controversial for their blunt honestly and sharp criticism of other members (and occasionally, the boards themselves.) He is usually thrown into the same category as members like PoisonTongue or wrist_cutter, but in reality his criticism is much more constructive and less personal in nature. His contributions to the community go beyond simply posting: he has served as collaborator and confidant to various OtakuBoards staff members throughout the years.

This reputation was most likely formed as a result of his popular [url= http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=44102]?n00b Hunter?[/url] fan-fictions. These stories, inspired by Solo Tremaine?s ?OtakuBoards: Enter the Net,? featured Alan as a cold-blooded killer, hunting out members who continued to spam up the boards and exacting violent revenge on them. Much more adult and violent than other OB fan-fiction up to that point, n00b Hunter?s success helped to cement OB fan-fiction as a genre on the boards, and spawned countless imitators. Despite his own personal opinion of it, he continues to be one of the strongest writers on the boards, and has contributed to various high-profile RPGs such as The Legionnaires.

Through OtakuBoards, DeadSeraphim found love in and eventually became engaged to Hevn. Although the wedding never came to pass, it remains the first and only online courtship and real-life engagement in OtakuBoards history. Deadseraphim also broke ground in the creation of [url= http://www.chromosomecowboy.com/jerks/]Crappy Club for Jerks[/url], a blogroll for members who have left the myOtaku community to post elsewhere

He continues to remain active on the boards in discussion threads, always looking for ways to exploit the weakness in other?s intelligence, logic and humanity.

[b]n00b Hunter[/b]

[url= http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=44102]n00b Hunter[/url] [M-LV] is an OtakuBoards fan-fiction created by DeadSeraphim in December of 2004. This story featured Alan as a cold-blooded killer, hunting out members who continued to spam up the boards and exacting violent revenge on them. Much more adult and violent than other OB fan-fiction up to that point, n00b Hunter?s success helped to cement OB fan-fiction as a genre on the boards, and spawned countless imitators.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]To add a little to n00b Hunter...

[quote]The main plot concerned the hunting down and destruction of 'Sonic Blaster', an infamous myOtaku user who cheated his way to the number one ranking at that site, though there was side plots involved as well (including many one offs). The cast of characters was taken primarily from myOtaku users who knew DeadSeraphim directly, and involved many in-jokes. At one point a comprehensive website existed for the series, but it has since been removed.

DeadSeraphim despises this series, despite being its author.[/quote][/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1][color=royalblue]*has said nothing but decides for an entry*

[b]The OtakuBoards Graphic Worm[/b]
Also known as the "OBGW", the "Graphic Worm", the "Worm", and other variations. Often times misnamed the "Graphics Worm". The project was basically constructed by placing a continuous string of graphics horizontally, each measuring 600x450 pixels. The left and right sides were to be made in a simpler manner as to allow smoother transitions betwen pieces.

The [url=http://obgw.randomthunk.net]OtakuBoards Graphic Worm[/url] was started by Retribution in Feburary of 2006. At first, it was a mere idea, inspiried by another worm created by members of a different forum, but soon gained a popularity that made it "hard to get a post in edge-wise".

In the beginning, the Worm contributer order was made by a member PMing Retribution with a request to be added to the que. A member could only ask for one request until the order ended, then they could ask for another spot. This system worked well for the first dozen entries or so, but started to fall apart when members wouldn't post and thus had to be skipped.

Within a month of the Worm's beginning, the server it was hosted on crashed. At first, it appeared to be a temporary problem as reported by White, but soon turned into a permanent one, as confirmed by Retribution.
A few weeks later, Katana offered hosting for the Worm, and was thus unofficially put in charge of the project. After this time, it fell by the wayside for a month, something that would become quite common in its summer run. After one particually long drought, members were encouraged to continue on with hopes of "making it to the next Nifty Fifty".

With the transfer of servers came a new system of submission. Started by Boo, it became a simple system of calling "dibs" on the next piece, then editing ones post when they finished their piece. The problem of three or four people calling "dibs" at the same time, strangely enough, never became a problem.

One thing that could be criticised about the thread was its tendency to only have 'established' artists create pieces. Nowhere is this more evident then in the neck-and-neck "race" between White and Katana, each of whom have over five pieces in the Worm. However, the majority of the 'established' artists only kept on creating to keep the Worm alive.

Eventually, interest ran out due to school and other such activites, and the OBGW ended with 65 pieces in October. Throughout its course, the Worm was participated in by dozens of members, utilizing programs from Paint to Photoshop. However, the Worm managed to hang on a bit longer, receiving not one, but two, mentions within the course of the OtakuBoards Scavenger Hunt.

----

Fwa-ching. Feel free to add, subtract, multiply, and divide this entry up.[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=Shinje][color=#c00000][url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=54015&page=1&pp=15"]MAMA[/url]

MAMA, or Members Against Mods and Admins, was a group of dissenting older members who got together out of a mutual understanding that the post quality of OtakuBoards was in a decline.

MAMA initially formed as a secretive group, a bit like the [[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_Brethren"]Exclusive Brethren Church[/url].] It was, however, exposed by some of it's members in the post-quality themed Suggestions and Feedback thread, "The Complaint" much to the chagrin of it's more secretive members.

Other members participating in "The Complaint" were a little perplexed in regards to how a movement title MAMA could be advocating a return to quality when it was taking potshots at the staff. In reailty, MAMA only seemed to target newer, younger moderators and their perceived inability to be online as often as they should or enforce the rules as stricly as they should. MAMA regarded some of these newer moderators, actually listed in the initial post of the thread, as being inferior to the moderators of old. (See old members: Safer Spehiroth, Babygirl, GinnyLyn)

Eventually "The Complaint" was closed and MAMA died off afterward. It should be noted that MAMA's confrontational name was a big reason why the movement failed to gain any serious ground, and ended up in the dustpan following the closure of "The Complaint."[/color][/QUOTE] Remembering that thread still makes me giggle. :3

I'm a very uncomprehensive writer, and awfully lazy to boot. So someone hit me up with an article about the Razr incident.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]I?m not sure if this should go under notable threads or not but here?s my first entry.

-----

The OtakuBoards [B]Christmas Banner Contest[/B] thread

The Christmas Banner Contest thread was an innovative thread started by James to give members the chance to create banners for the honor of having their entry displayed on OtakuBoards for the holidays.

This idea was inspired by James in an attempt to spruce up OB for the holiday season. Looking back at previous Christmas Banner Contest threads has shown that it has been a popular thread with both newer and older members as each contest has been well received.

Having enjoyed successful responses from previous Christmas Banner Contest threads. James has once again started another thread for the 2006 holiday. This popular idea has already received several responses from well-known members of OB, such as DeadSeraphim, Charles & Boo.

-----

I hope that's all right. I'm not the best when it comes to writing articles. [/COLOR] :animesigh

[font=arial]I'm not sure what category it would come under, but we've had various threads where members get the chance to design a page banner for OB - this includes not only Christmas banners, but also new year banners and others.

It might be worth finding a few more examples and maybe even linking to the various winners if possible. We've had quite a few member-created banners over the years, so this would be a great way to make sure they live forever.[/font]

Okay, everything is pretty much up-to-date, I think. I've edited some entries a bit, but as always, I've tried to avoid touching them too much.

I have even included extra information that Shinje provided from a post he deleted (it was actually helpful, Shinje).

The only thing I haven't included yet is SunfallE's entry because in light of James' post, I want to wait briefly to see if anyone will dig up some information on past iterations of the annual contest.

Woo! 100th post in the thread is MINE!

[center][img]http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/7669/leagueyr7.gif[/img][/center]

[size=1][b]The OtakuBoards League of Not-So-Extrodinary Gentlemen And Stuff[/b]
[indent][i]Category:[/i] OtakuBoards Cliques

One of the oldest and largest cliques to grace OtakuBoards was The OtakuBoards League of Not-So-Extrodinary Gentlemen And Stuff with a rather ridiculously long name and an even more painful misspelling of the word "extraordinary" right in the title. The group was founded by the member Dragon Warrior back in one of the early versions of OB (possibly Version 3) as one of the many signature cliques that invaded the forums at the time. Members of the group were allowed to choose an unusual callsign as their unique alias. This was assumed to be their position and job under the organization. A few examples of such names may have been "The Janitor," "The Insane Fangirl," or "The Really, Really Hairy Guy."

Though no one really recalls it or may vaguely remember its existance, it was--as said before--one of the largest cliques, containing well over fifty members in total. Dragon Warrior chose to keep a list of every member in his signature until the list grew too large for the signature requirements and thus a website was spawned for the organization. Though they weren't known to commit any acts under the name of The OtakuBoards League of Not-So-Extrodinary Gentlemen And Stuff, they still enjoyed the idea of having silly names and being apart of a really large group of people with no lives. It gradually disappeared as new versions of OtakuBoards emerged. Members forgot about it and the website that was consistantly updated with new members was lost forever. In the end, the name really speaks for itself: it wasn't so extraordinary... and stuff.[/indent][/size]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Perhaps it could come under a category of graphic contributions to OB? Or something along those lines?

Another thread that would fit along with what SunfallE already posted would be the [B]Avatar Submission Thread[/B]. (Also started by James ;) ) Though I?m not sure how you would write that up since unlike the Christmas Banner Contest thread, the avatar submissions are a little more permanent. Even if Des is a bit sporadic when it comes to updates. :p[/COLOR]

[font=arial]In all of these cases, the graphics submitted became "official" OB graphics (both banners and avatars). So yeah, I'm not sure what the category would be...but it would definitely include all threads that involve members creating graphics that become an official part of OB itself.

Even apart from holiday-centric banners, we've still had actual standard OB banners that have been member-created (like Syk3's OB banner, which was for uh...Version 6 I think? I am not sure. It was the one that carried "Powered by Syk3" on the corner - we kept that one in place for quite a while).[/font]