OtakuBoards

Members and their !Popularity!

Aberinkula

[COLOR=DimGray]Hey everyone. A lot of people know about ourfamous members. James, Desbreko, Dragon Warrior, Aryaana, and her mother. Plus all the others out there.
But still, thos aren't neceserily everybodies favorite people around here.
For me my favorite members are Tekkaman, Keyblade Wielder. and Dragon Warrior.
So here are my two questions, that of coarse, I'm asking every member.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Who's your favorite member and why? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=DimGray]And...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]What members have gotten popular?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DimGray]As for me I already told you who I like. And here's why.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Tekkaman -[/COLOR] [COLOR=DimGray]He's very cool to talk with. plus he gives wise words Also, he really enjoys the stuff around here. So he's very apriciative. We first met during an RPG, amd since thenwe've been friends.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Keyblade Wielder -[/COLOR] [COLOR=DimGray]She's a very great girl here on the OB. I met her during the RPG I met Tekkaman on. I was kicked out, but she forgave me. And now she's earned a place in my siggy. Plus she's a fan of me too.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Dragon Warrior -[/COLOR] [COLOR=DimGray]I don't know him as a friend. But He's awesome. i've read his stuff. Dead and Living it Up, Slackers in Slacks, and a couple of his Daily Comic. [/COLOR]

Guest NIKI12345
Well I like you the ForgotteÑ-HerÖ , Shane-12,Hanabishi Recca,BishiHuntress, and Indifference. Other than that there are probley more just I cna't remember.

ForgotteÑ-HerÖ : You I like the topics you start I write on each of them.

Shane-12: Well me and him have a very simalar past even though I have never met him but he seems like a really cool peson to have as a older brother.

Hanabishi Recca: He is my bestfriend on here he is absolutly funny and he is true to himself. Go Hanabishi Recca!

BishiHuntress: She writes the best stories even though she doesn't show her talent on the boards but trust me she is great.

Indifference: She was the first person to post on my first thread.

The End

[SIZE=1][COLOR=RoyalBlue]I personally like [B]Dragon Warrior[/B]. This is because of, first and foremost, Slackers in Slacks. That is the second most amazing comic I have ever seen, the first being, of course, Toothpaste for Dinner. Ahh, TPFD. But I digress. Also, he was the first from the OB to add me on - gasp! - Myspace!, and I thought that was pretty nifty. Plus, his photoshoppiness and humor never fails to amuse me. =][/COLOR][/SIZE]

I dunno why, but I like Dagger. I know Dagger is a girl, due to some of the various posts she has made...of course I could be wrong. She is a good admin and like all women, she has more intelligence then most men. Other than taht, I somewhat get the indication taht she is rather cute. Don't ask. I don't know why. -_-

[size=1]I have two favourite members. Charles is one of them. He is amazingly awesome, and punches me in the face whenever I forget to mention him.

The second person is me.

Thankyou.

[b]Edit[/b]: Whoops! I forgot to mention who has gotten popular recently.

It appears some random noobs have gotten popular recently. Good for them.[/size]

[color=#9933ff][size=1]It is amusing that you bring up this topic, since I've been here for what seems ages (although there are many other OBers who have been here quite longer than I), and seen "popularity" wax and wane like the tides, as members come and leave.

I'm very fond of the older popular members, since they were first here when I signed on. Among the ones who have long since gone, I liked GinnyLyn (eternally awesome, especially in her knowledge about Digimon), Devidramon (*moans sadly* I.freaking.MISS. the Tamer Rants!!!!! *sob*) Transtic Nerve (who, in the old picture forum, posted a picture of nekkid Gackt, thus introducing me to one of the hottest J-pop stars. *_* and besides that, Transtic was just generally cool), Zeh (yes, I did like him a lot), and Ger (Red, etc. *wants to huggle him*).

Sephiroth deserves to get mentioned, too, just because he's that cool. ;P

...I *know* I'm also missing TONS of other long gone people that were cool, damn there's too many! There are also so many other "popular" OBers that I am fond of, but I'm not going to name them all, since those are all active, and that would take waaaay too long. *sobs*

I think it's also important to mention the fact that popularity isn't all that it's cracked up to be. I used to be in one of those little "elite" OB circles of popularity (or at the very least, I deluded myself into thinking I was) - let me tell you the fall out from it is harder than rock. >__< It is *not* worth it to be in one of them. Just having my few friends here and there from OB is enough for me.

Perhaps I'm reading you wrong (in which case I most sincerely apologize), but you seem concerned about being acknowledge and accepted into some OB circle of popularity, Forgotten Hero. Try not to try so hard. If there's someone you admire, grab their AIM handle and start talking to them. And keep being yourself on the boards - I already think you're a good member.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Venge']She is a good admin and like all women, she has more intelligence then most men.[/quote]

[color=crimson]Man I'd be smarter if this damn penis wasn't always getting in my way.

Popularity comes and goes on this site. Here's a few quick pointers to being popular on this website.

*The more numbers in your screenname the more noticable it is.
*Drawing comics, writing fan fics or starting role playing games when you have no talent at doing any of the above is a quick route to success too.
*Emphasize your sense of humor especially if it's a bad one. Bonus points for this.
*People adore it when you are combative, long winded and opinionated in serious topics.
*[url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=56433]Recent threads[/url] have uncovered the fact that vast numbers of OtakuBoarders are actually ninjas. Be sure to join their ranks or, at least, don't mess with them.
*If you're a guy, making a contribution to the Secret Staff Yaoi Forum is an easy bribe to make.
*If you're a girl, you're smarter than most of the guys anyway so just use that to your advantage.

And, most importantly, always remember that sarcasm is a secret handshake of sorts around here.[/color]

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson']*The more numbers in your screenname the more noticable it is.[/color][/quote]
[size=1]In addition to this pivotal law of forum popularity, alternating caps works as a kind of 'attention multiplier', guaranteed to make you friends and create ensured e-penis growth.[/size]

[quote name='Baron Samedi][size=1']In addition to this pivotal law of forum popularity, alternating caps works as a kind of 'attention multiplier', guaranteed to make you friends and create ensured e-penis growth.[/size][/quote]
[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]
I know who my new e-crush is.

In all seriousness though, both [B]Baron Samedi[/B] and [B]DeathKnight[/B] have caused some serious luls in the past. This continues and so, even if they don't know who I am, I think they are both very epic members.

I too am a fan of [B]Dragon Warrior[/B]. He was the first person on OB who I ever talked to on MSN, and now we're very good friends. And of course, more props for Slackers in Slacks!

[B]White[/B] is a cute boy who is also Canadian. Not to mention he's a mod AND eventmaster. It's like being married to a real e-celebrity. 8D

My original [B]OB Survivors team [/B] - you were all a pleasure to work with and it's a shame we lost two great members so early D: and then there's [B]Darren[/B], who did a great job with all his efforts on our script. I wish him the best of luck on his new team. No hard feelings, yo.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I?m going to take you literally since popularity is really overrated. In the sense that I may think someone is popular when I may be the only one who thinks that. lol Anyway?[quote name='ForgotteÑ-HerÖ][COLOR=Blue]Who's your favorite member and why? [/COLOR] [/QUOTE]That?s really easy and simple. My favorite member is Crystia/indifference for the simple reason that she?s one of my best friends in real life. ;) There are others of course, SunfallE for teaching a newbie how to use the ignore function. DeathKnight and Charles for their wicked sense of humor, though I haven?t seen Charles around in a while. This guy here: [QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]I love myself better than you.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]His post speaks for itself. Desbreko, all it takes is reading theDailyOtaku to see why. And lots of other people that I enjoy reading what they say, even if they argue with you like Retribution does. [which is fun to read by the way] [QUOTE=ForgotteÑ-HerÖ][COLOR=DimGray]And...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=Blue]What members have gotten popular?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]That I couldn?t really say, I don?t know who was considered popular before and other than to notice certain people I couldn?t really say if others think they are popular. And to be truthful, I really don?t care. I enjoy reading peoples posts or chatting with them on MSN messenger or I skim over what they have to say if the topic doesn?t interest me. And a perceived popularity has nothing to do with that. I'll read anything no matter who wrote it if it's interesting on some level.

[COLOR=DarkOrange]It would be easy to imbune a mountain of sarcasm in my post, as has been done several times already in this thread, but I don't think it's worth it.

May favorite members... well, I've always been a fan of Dagger. She knows everything there is to know about anime it seems and she has very similar tastes as I do, so I always go to her for advice plus she's a kick-*** administrator and my go-to for name changes.

I'm also pretty cool with Jakehammeren. He and I are both crawlers of the Music forum and he's intirduced me to some bands that have quickly become some of y favorites. If any member has effected my tatstes more than any other, it's probably him.

Also, everyone's gotta love D_W.

Forgotten-Hero, I guess I kinda feel connected to you as well, after having reviewed so many of your stories and watching you improve (albeit slowly at times)

As for who's popular, that's a dumb question. we all know who they are.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Anomaly][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS][B]White[/B] is a cute boy who is also Canadian. Not to mention he's a mod AND eventmaster. It's like being married to a real e-celebrity. 8D[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[size=1]I just felt I should quote this for emphasis. I don't have anything specific to say in response.

As others have said, popularity on the intenet comes and goes rather quickly. There have been a dozen generations of 'Cool Kids' since I first joined, and I'm always baffled by how certain members develop the cult followings that they do. God bless 'em, but most members are idiots and will flock to anyone with a staff position or a 'cute' mySpace profile.

Fortunately, members are also attracted by quality. The more intelligent posts you make on the boards, the more attention you're going to receive. Aaryanna_Mom is a good example of someone who didn't actively go looking for friends, but somehow became one of our most beloved members.

And Nerdsy is the coolest kid on the block. Someone marry that guy already!

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson]Man I'd be smarter if this damn penis wasn't always getting in my way.[/color][/QUOTE][QUOTE=Baron Samedi][size=1]...guaranteed to make you friends and create ensured [B]e-penis growth[/B'].[/size][/quote][size=1]Way to ignore the obvious. Unless you were going for that lamely sarcastic joke...

I'm a big fan of [b]Dagger[/b]. She doesn't really post too often anymore, but when she does it's either a very intelligent or funny post. Chatting on AIM is also fun... assuming you can get over your fear and borderline adoration of her.[/size]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1]I'm a big fan of [b]Boo[/b']. He doesn't really post too often anymore, but when he does it's either a very intelligent or funny post. Chatting on AIM is also fun... assuming you can get over your fear and borderline adoration of him.[/size][/quote][size=1]I never knew, Alex. I never knew. ;_;[/size]

I have to say that my favourite members are Baron Sarmedi, Death Knight and DeadSeraphim because all 3 of them can come up with some very zany responses but also some good arguments.

The member that has gotten a massive surge in popularity would have to be Allamorph though. He/She/It seems to have almost developed a fan-following here in only a cuople of months. I applaude him/her/it for it.

[font=Verdana][size=2]The only reason I haven't become OB famous (I'm famous in real life, by the way) is because I keep on changing my name. [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]I've got too many members here that I admire on some level to mention them all, so here's a quick run down of some of the most memorable I have come across;[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]DeadSeraphim - The Aussie dude who is the personification of coolness, be it his sharp, sarcastic replies or his l337 skills in coding and web design. Seraphim is always an interesting character on the OB and a great person to talk to. Serpahim is also the person I have had the most interaction with outside of OB, when I still used Aim to have chat-room chats with members.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Desbreko - He's cool because he changes my name. Nifty, huh?[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Dagger. She's cool because she also changes my name.
Nifty, huh?[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]James - James has devoted quite alot of his time and resources into making the OB the place it is today, he is also a very down to earth, likeable guy, who hasn't developed a "god complex" as a result. [/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Dragon Warrior - What can I say that hasn't been said? Dragon Warrior is the king of OB comedy, with his animated adventures and story fanfics being insanely popular. My own attempts to follow in his footsteps failed miserably, which goes to show you that to be a Dragon Warrior, you have to have at least some talent![/size][/font]

[QUOTE=Shy][size=1]

As others have said, popularity on the intenet comes and goes rather quickly. There have been a dozen generations of 'Cool Kids' since I first joined, and I'm always baffled by how certain members develop the cult followings that they do. God bless 'em, but most members are idiots and will flock to anyone with a staff position or a 'cute' mySpace profile.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]rofl. Clearly I came off dumber than I intended. The last part is a joke. White is a nice guy, and is a nice guy regardless of mod or eventmaster, obviously. I certainly don't talk to members on here because of status =/ I don't just flock to someone because of their rank or how well known they are. I also like to think I'm not an idiot.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Oooookay, here we go. I cannot simply begin to name off the people on these boards that made an impact because the list would be endless. There are those members who are insanely "popular" as put by many, but I think that everyone on the boards is truely a good asset. They may not be known by everyone, but they still contribute to the beauty these boards possess. I somewhat agree with what Shy said; that intelligent posts do gain you respect on here. However, I don't believe people are idiots simply for following those they admire.

When it comes down to it, popularity on here [i]isn't[/i] about "cute pictures" or staff. Hell, I have neither of those two and I've been mentioned already in this thread! I'm sure others can vouche for the same thing for themselves. People become noticed through personality and contributions to the boards. Takes our good buddy Charles, for example. Many will say he was a loud-mouthed fool who made insulting remarks to several members on numerous occassions. However, his humor and--most importantly--his ideas and concepts for the board earned him not only respecting followers but a comfy position amongst the staff. He was recognized as someone who attempted to make a difference. We may all wish to do that; some may even attempt at it. If you come and make yourself known through your personality (such as Charles' "picture posts" or his "Otakupedia" idea), you'll most likely be considered what we call popular on here. In fact, The OtaKuties contest was aimed toward that--to reveal personalities of members. And I personally believe I've seen some interesting new things come out of members. I'm learning much more about them and I'm happy the contest is going as well as it has.

So, yeah, I could name off a lot of members I believe are popular, but I think I'd just end up being biased and say a load of my personal friends. However, popularity on OB really isn't anything special. If your work is good (such as stories, RPGs, graphics, etc.), you'll get replies. Don't worry so much if people like you. It won't get you very far.[/size]

[quote name='Anomaly][COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]rofl. Clearly I came off dumber than I intended. The last part is a joke. White is a nice guy, and is a nice guy regardless of mod or eventmaster, obviously. I certainly don't talk to members on here because of status =/ I don't just flock to someone because of their rank or how well known they are. I also like to think I'm not an idiot.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]
[size=1]I didn't neccessarily target you in that statement, but I can see how you might see it that way. Accept my apologies if I offended you, but most of our 27,00 registered members are idiots. The good news it you aren't one of them.

I think quite highly of White, and I feel that his 'popularity' here is completely justified. If I didn't think he was cool, I certainly wouldn't have selected him to be the new Event Master.

If you were around during the days of the Picture Forum you would understand how a 'cute' picture can completely change one's social standings on these forums. If anything, I was referencing 'The Juuthena Effect' in my previous post. One year we had a member, Juuthena, who was voted 'Female Otaku of the Year' by a nearly 3-to1 margin. While she was far from a n00b, nearly all of her popularity could be attributed to the fact that she was an adorable asian girl on an anime-themed website. Thankfully OtaKuties avoids the problems that the Picture Forum presented by adding some substance to what is being posted. Before it was literally, "Hey you're hot, let's be friends!"

Staff members are chosen for the quality of their posts and their contributions to the community, so it's only natural that newer members would flock towards them. But for every inactive staff member with a cult following, there are a dozen incredibly active [i]regular[/i] members who hardly receive any attention at all.

Dragon Warrior stands out as someone who has made several great contributions to the site without ever serving in a staff position. If more people made an attempt to contribute in such a way, certain areas of the board wouldn't feel so exclusive and we would all be much better off as a result.

In creating Community Events like the Nifty Fifty, I always tried to turn the spotlight onto as many members as possible. Obviously OB has its' 'stars,' but showing a less-seasoned member some recognition is more meaningful in the long run. It sets a bad precedent to only let staff into your cool new RPG, for example, and subtle things like this that may turn away potential new members.

-Shy[/size]

[font=arial]I think very few people talk about large amounts of members being excluded. This is because [i]most[/i] members (of those who are active on the site, anyway) do contribute in one way or another. I mean, the number of members on the site has always gone up and down...but the number of great posts I see is always encouraging.

This is definitely why I like Nifty Fifty. It's an event that often does reward the lesser-known members, or at least, the members who aren't typically associated with "OB stardom" (whatever that is).

I think it's always a good idea to view staff members as "members" who are simply being asked to contribute above and beyond what they normally do. I have never chosen a staff member based on perceived popularity - in fact, a lot of older members haven't liked some of my choices in the past (as evidenced by "The Complaint", where I was told that it isn't appropriate to hire someone after only a few weeks of membership - no matter how good or bad that member actually is).

Most of our members are [i]far[/i] from idiots. It's just the vocal few who manage to steal the spotlight one too many times. Unfortunately the quieter (and often better) members are obscured as a result of that.[/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black]Another popular Hero thread. ;)[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black]Hmm. I really don't consider myself popular, Hero, but thanks for the recognition. If anything, I consider myself to be an above-average RPer at best. However, when it comes to people I like, I have a tight circle of friends. Strangely, however, the friends I do have don't really talk with each other on a regular unless their in the same event. [b]*Shruggs*[/b][/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black][b]ForgotteÑ-HerÖ[/b] - Your determination constantly inspires me. You never give up, despite your flaws, and that's what makes you special.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black][b]BKstyles[/b] - Since me and BK first met, we clicked. Add that to the fact that we joined OB at around the same time and you know friendship was bound to happen. He truly is the ying to my yang.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black][b]Boo[/b] - In Mafia, I thought we were gonna kill each other (literally). Now that we have an understanding between each other, I understand that he's just as cool-minded as I am.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black][b]White[/b] - Before he became a mod, White and I talked on normal occasions. It's weird because I don't look at him as a mod -- just regular ol' White... with member-banning powers, of course. :animesmil [/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black][b]Allamorph[/b] - Mafia was the meeting point for us and since then, we've enjoyed picking each others brain. I swear, if Allamorph gets any smarter, i'm gonna have to pull up Merriam Webster and leave it up while I talk to him.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black][b]Aaryanna_Mom[/b] - While I haven't got to enjoy Aaryanna's company, A_M more than makes up for it with flowing wisdom from every keystroke. I enjoy talking to her a lot.[/color][/size][/font]

[font=Palatino Linotype][size=2][color=black]That's it.[/color][/size][/font]