OtakuBoards

What grinds your gears?

Aberinkula

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Sandy']I find this thread very interesting. There's like half-a-dozen debates going on at the same time. ;P[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray]
I know. In fact most of them aren't dangerous to the thread's future. This has gone a long way actually. I thought it wouldn't go so long. But I guess people like debating in theses kind of threads.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Blue]Who knows? Maybe this thread will rech even higher than 200 posts1[/COLOR]

[font=comic sans ms]Last minute people. Meh, I know I use to be one of those people, but that was way back in my elementary school days when we had those science fair projects. Now I'm dealing with people paying bills at the last minute, right when everything is about to happen. Now I can't do much to help out since I don't have a job to support my folks either, otherwise, I'd gladly help out.

Stubborness is another big issue I'm getting pissed at lately. Basically in my house. I'm mainly quiet about the topics that come up in my house. (Such as bills and relationships) Sometimes it can escalate to some stupid argument, but most of the time it ends with someone acting stuck up. (Anyone saying "you need to get out more" I agree with you. Whether it's a drive or a walk, yes I agree.)[/font]

Guest Kitsunechibiko
[COLOR=Purple]What I really hate is when you get a bit of a free day at school so the teacher lets you sit where you want, but there's no room for you at your table of friends. Then when you meet back up with them, they're talking bout something you don't know and when you ask they say, "It's an inside joke." Yeah. That really grinds my gears. :animeangr [/COLOR]

[Size=1] it really makes me mad, when girls I dont even know, actually have the guts to come up to me and scream "[B][U] I LOVE YOU, FELIX![/B][/U]" [how they get my first name, is a mystery to me]

another thing: when kids use internet abberivations...[I] In actual converstation.[/I]

damnit, you need to retake your english courses, grow up and speak to me, when you learn to express yourself [B][I][U] properly.[/B][/I][/U]

stupid myspacers.

what really gets me though is when your friends attempt to plug in your electric guitar and your bass guitar into the same amp, and somehow manage to snap the E string on the electric.

damnit guys.... that's why I have more than one.[/Size]

[color=darkgreen]What really ticks me off [i]is[/i] [COLOR=Black][B]MYSPACE[/B][/COLOR]. I hate it with a passion, mainly because it's "freedom of speach" ability has led to several anti-Louie Healy myspace groups. Yeah, my name's Louie, so what?

Ok, so it's not really myspace, but the people on it that tick me off. We humans have an amazing ability to judge people we know nothing about, and then get with other people who think the same. Thus the (main) reason there are gangs in the world.

And that's what grinds me.[/color]

You know what really grinds MY gears?

[B]OVERLY. SNUGGLY. COUPLES.[/B]

They downright piss me off, and I don't get pissed off a lot. It's even worse when [B]they're both my friends[/B]. And the girl broke up with her last boyfriend of 2 and a half years not more than a week before (more like 2 DAYS). *sigh* I love both of them, but it's just SO awkward and annoying when they're all cuddly and what not. "ooh, look at us! We're dating and we don't care if it hurts anybody's feelings!" Ugh. They don't realize that I have an issue about being lonely, and the more I hang around them, the more lonely I feel. However, I'm glad that I'm single now though. I get to focus on schoolwork and I'm going to be gone most of all this summer....but still. I don't like getting the fact that I AM single rubbed in my face.

It's SO hard not to be resentful...

[QUOTE=Minako]You know what really grinds MY gears?

[B]OVERLY. SNUGGLY. COUPLES.[/B]

It's SO hard not to be resentful...[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]That does suck. Hardcore. Like one of my friends (i'm single too, but I can deal) who just broke up with her boyfriend. She's all depressed, and her roommate constantly prances around their room, overjoyed because she's getting married. "Isn't love wonderful? I just love so-and-so! Ah, I feel like a fairy princess."

So, life could be worse...[/COLOR][/FONT]

[center][IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y170/retri_trib/grindsgears.jpg[/IMG][/center]

[FONT=Arial][center]Writer's block.[/center]

It drives me absolutely bonkers, especially when I spend an entire morning accomplishing nothing but staring a hole in the piece of paper in front of me as I rack my Brain Thesaurus desperately for the right synonym for a word in the bloody [I]first line[/I] of my sketch, only to have the word present itself blithely to me hours later when I have nothing anywhere to write it down on. In today's wonderful case, [U]mournful[/U] and [U]dismal[/U]. Good God Almighty!, but that was aggravating. I love writing, but I swear, sometimes it can drive me up the wall. Literally [I]and[/I] proverbially.

Criminy.[/FONT]

Writer's block is a myth. True fact. Can't find that synonym? Write [b]something.[/b] If it's your first draft it'll most likely be a load of rubbish, but the important thing is to write [b]something[/b] on that piece of paper/screen that you can go back to later and edit into a masterpiece.

Or if you really can't progress you can always cheat and use [u][url="http://thesaurus.reference.com"]the thesaurus that [b]isn't [/b]in your head[/url].[/u]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote name='Raiyuu]Or if you really can't progress you can always cheat and use [u][url="http://thesaurus.reference.com"]the thesaurus that [b]isn't [/b]in your head[/url'].[/u][/quote]
NO SUCH THING. DON'T SPREAD VENOMOUS LIES.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Raiyuu']Writer's block is a myth.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Bosh. Try attempting to alter a character's personality because you don't particularly care for some of his habits. I tried that once and went bone-dry for a solid month.
[QUOTE][I]If it's your first draft it'll most likely be a load of rubbish, but the important thing is to write [B]something[/B] on that piece of paper/screen that you can go back to later and edit into a masterpiece.[/I][/QUOTE]
True, in general. In my case, since I see everything I write before I write it, I already have it locked in as a set visual, and if the word doesn't fit the visual my flow shuts off. And I'm constantly editing anyway, so rubbish doesn't worry me. Thank you, though.
[QUOTE][I]Or if you really can't progress you can always cheat and [U]use the thesaurus that [B]isn't[/B] in your head.[/U][/I][/QUOTE]
That's assuming I haven't already cheated and used Roget's, which I only do in extreme emergencies and when I don't really care about connotation. Besides, my head's almost as thorough, and it doesn't have any of those annoying things called pages. :animesmil [/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph][font=Arial']Try attempting to alter a character's personality because you don't particularly care for some of his habits. I tried that once and went bone-dry for a solid month.[font=Verdana][/quote]So write something else until you get your mojo back. There's no such thing as going completely dry. I agree that sometimes you need a break from a particular story so you can step back and see it more objectively (or because you're just plain bored of it), but this idea that you can completely lose all ability to write [b]anything [/b]for a protracted period of time is a load of hogwash.
[/font][/font]

[quote name='Raiyuu]So write something else until you get your mojo back. There's no such thing as going completely dry. I agree that sometimes you need a break from a particular story so you can step back and see it more objectively (or because you're just plain bored of it), but this idea that you can completely lose all ability to write [b]anything [/b']for a protracted period of time is a load of hogwash.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]One doesn't have to be completely dry for it to be writer's block, they just have to be stuck at some point in written work.

Yes, freewriting like you're suggesting may be a solution (one that doesn't always work, which I can attest to), but just because there's a cure doesn't mean the affliction is a myth.[/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Allamorph, friend, I feel your pain. I suffer from writers block from time to time... it sucks ***. It's like, you've got this story and there's so many things you like about it, it's going well, everything's fine, then BAM, you can't even figure out how the next damn sentence is going to look. Usually i end up sitting there for an hour staring at my computer screen then get a sudden craving to eat unholy amounts of food.

I agree that sometimes writing other things can help, but not always. For example, I was recently working on a novel idea. Then I couldn't think of what to do next. So then I turned to writing poems. 2 weeks and an Anthology full of poems later, and I still haven't come up with anything for my damn story! And now, I've even run out of ideas for poems since all of them are about the same thing >_<

I think it's silly to say that Writer's Block is not real; but it is curable. It's not like Allamorph said that he was suffering so much and it will never go away and he should just give up writing or some such drama. He just said 'it sucks' and, well, it does.[/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1]
[list]
[*][B][U]Little Kids / Middle Schoolers[/B][/U]: they think they rule the world or something wearing their masks of "cool", "innocence" and "indifference", and it really irritates me when they cry. -___- [especially in church]
[*][B][U]Cats[/B][/U]: same reasoning as above, but instead of throwing fits, they're just really lazy.
[/list][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Felix Santiago][SIZE=1]
[list]
[*][B][U]Little Kids / Middle Schoolers[/B][/U]: they think they rule the world or something wearing their masks of "cool", "innocence" and "indifference", and it really irritates me when they cry. -___- [especially in church]
[/list][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I agree. Personally, i am overly experienced with younger people. I swear to god every person i've ever run into who was younger than me has mannaged to look up to me, some almost instantly (I know many of you just got this overwhelming sense of fear toward our younger generation XD). Whenever my parents go to a party at one of their friends' house, i ALWAYS end up entertaining the mass of little kids, and i always end up the center of every little game they come up with. I guess it's just cuz I understand how they think better than a lot of people. I think most parents don't know what the hell they're doing with their kids, so when they run into someone like me who treats them as an equal, they flock to me, lol.

But even though they worship me, i hate the little buggers!!! First of all, they are increadibly violent! I guess they think that because I'm afraid to kick their *** in front of their parents, they think that i'm their little ***** or something. I always have like five kids wailing on me with lightsabers or some other freaking painful-*** toy weapons that their retarded parents bought them with out thinking about it. Not only that, but they think their the smartest people in the world and that they have no reason to listen to you even when you're being serious. They always laugh and give you that, 'haha ***** I rule you!' look. then you throw em' into the pool and when they start crying, guess who looks like the jackass?!?!

Anyway, that was distracting, since I opened this page about something entirely different >_<

People in school hallways. I only have one thing to say to you '****ing pay attention!!!' And i'm not talking about people who walk slow - you can just go around them. i'm talking about the bastards who walk in a horizontal lie and talk to each other while they walk through the hallway. Because 80% of the time they are completely anaware of their surroundings. These are eople who are so freaking stupid that unless you put special effor tinto dodging them , they will run directly into you. If you are walking in the opposite direction down the hallway and one of these man-walls is coming toward you, you have to strategically move in a way that you will get all the way around the wall quick enough before they get too close. Sometimes you might just walk out of a classroom and a wall coming aross the edge will be too long to get around in time. You have to walk n the same direction as the wall, moving to the side as you walk before turning around after you've reached the edge of the wall.

These people are just as bad when yo're behind them. They're pacing is awkward cux one of them keeps stopping, and even if they merely miss a step, the rest of the wall momentarily freezes to compensate. On top of that, beacuse there are people coming from the other direction it is a task to try and move around them cuz they're taking up the whole hallway. Nothing is worse than being in this situation with a slow-moving wall and you're trying to get to lunch.

As a result I usually burn the hallway to a crisp when i head for lunch. On B-days (block schedule) it's not problem because my class is right beside the cafeteira. But on A-days it's on the other sid eof the school and I will haul ungodly *** to get t that lunchroom at the front of the line. I don't have time to **** around, I want to get in line quickly, and I want to eat my damn lunch :mad: as a result of me doing this, two other kids from my Japanese class have turned it into a game. On every single A-day we have a race to see who can get into line first. I tell you right now, we piss off countless people every single time. Over the course of the past two years I have perfected the art of crowd-sharking as I like to call it, and I use a delivery bag style backpack which gives me a slight advantage because I can use it to throw my weight. Even when my friend tries to pull on it to knock me off balance, he can't do it right. If I see a man-wall and no way to move around it I will stright-up just run right between them.[/COLOR]

Close minded people
People who make fun of other people's weight/ appearance
Avril Lavigne (or however her name is spelled)
When I get called emo or goth because I sometimes wear all black
People that make fun of my high voice and accent
My friend who thinks Naruto is the greatest thing since sliced bread
My other friend that thinks im a nerd because of my love of video games, anime, and reading
People that think smart=nerdy
People in general
outpost brand beef jerky (It tastes like that fake bacon they feed to dogs)
My Language Arts teacher who is a *****
Most rap music
People that call me gay because I have both ears pierced
Nu Metal (besides Korn)
Youtube
Myspace
Funnyjunk.com
People that completely dismiss a certain kind of music even though they've never listened to it
People who say the PS3 is superior to the Xbox 360 and Wii
Fake goths
People who attempt to be "Random" and think they are funny because of it
People who listen to Blink 182 and Avril Lavigne and say they are punk
The song "Girlfriend"
Young children who drink beer and brag about it
People who dismiss certain video games because they are "Childish"
My friend that thinks he's a music expert despite knowing nothing about music
People who freak out about nothing
People who constantly talk about how "hot" a fictional anime character is
My friend who is slightly less fat than me and makes constant jokes about my weight

These are some of the things that grind my gears. I could write ALOT more but I have to go to sleep.

1. (First and foremost) Hypocrites
2. Lazy people
3. People who pretend to be something
4. People who think they are better than you in everyway (cocksure people)
5. Kids in general
6. People who get angry at others because they change (is very possible)
7. People who put themselves down
8. Ignorant people
9. People who think they know everything
10. A majority of this society (haha, just kidding)

There's a whole lot more. For example... people who use typos on purpose. I've a very short tempered person, but it doesn't matter much to anyone that much because I don't get messed with that much (If that makes any sense at all).

KingEarthEater

Guest carezo
jocks they are the most annoning at my school expectually this short kid who i hate and would really like itis he died i know it is mean but he made fun of me for wearing a trenchcoat maybe three times he will make fun of any goth and all of my friends plus me are goth and i cant wait till im out of school so i wont have to deal with him all dang day

I can't stand people who act one way in front of one person, and totally different in front of someone else. I also hate people who try to act like your friends when they want something from you, i.e. money, votes in an election... I can't stand people who act like they are better than everybody else because they have the hottest girlfriend or the hottest boyfriend, or their quarterback for the football team, or head cheerleader. It just gets on my nerves! :mad: