OtakuBoards

Did you ever eat alligator meat?

affection

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]So I went to a seafood restaurant on Friday and decided to try "gator bites". Gator bites are made out of alligator meat. I was iffy about it at first but I thought that the worst that could happen is me spitting it out. I waited about 5 minutes with a classmate and close teacher of mine and the waitress set it on the table. It smelled so good and had breading and seasoning on it. So I took a bite and KA-POW! It was really good. I recommend it.

So I was wondering :

1. Has anyone ever had gator bites?

2. What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten? (Did you like it?)[/SIZE][/FONT]

I can't really pull anything out of memory. I do remember my uncle eating escargot when I was little and I was all like, "Ewwwww! Snails!"

Then my stepdad cooking up huevos de toro, then I was all like, "Ewwwww! Balls!"

Though my mom says I ate turtle soup and gator meat once as a baby. Which made me sad, cause I had pet lizards and I like reptiles. ;__;

[COLOR=DarkOrange][B]1[/B]. no. wow, this formaat has been spreading, though XD

[B]2[/B]. um... well i generally avoid eating strange things. i have an increadibly picky appetite and I refuse to put nasty things in my mouth. My brother's friend, though, recently took him to a Chinese buffet where the friend ate 8 tiny, purple octopi. Ew.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Gray]1 - No, I've never eaten alligator before. Not 'cause I don't want too, just 'cause it's a little hard to find them up in the Great White North, if ya know what I'm saying.

2 - Unconventional Things I've Eaten:

Moose Burger - imagine the softest, juciest hamburger you've ever had. So much better then beef it's not even funny; only place I've ever been able to get one is in Newfoundland, though, but they're usually only like 2-3 bucks.

Caribou Burger - incredibly expensive, and actually pretty average. A little better then hamburger, but try and find one that isn't 17 bucks.

Buffalo Burger - the king of all burgers, baby. Amazing. The meat is expensive - 6 bucks for 4 good-sized burgers - but really tastey. Recommend it!

Octopus Meat (Kalamari?) - well, when in Greece, do as the Greeciens do, I always say. Found cheap octopus on a Greek island earlier this year; baught it. Not big on sea-food, and I can't say that the octopus did much to change my mind. Pass.

Poutine - Now, I eat so many of these that they've become mundane to me, but most of you aren't from Quebec so you probably have never heard of this dish, so I'll include it here for your pleasure. Imagine a plate full of lard-fried frenchfries covered in cheese curds (look them up if you've never heard of em; I know they don't sell much outside of Canada) and then slathered with the thickest gravy you've ever seen. My favourite dish.

Frogs Legs - I don't know if this counts as unconventional, but I've never seen it anywhere outside of Quebec, so I assume it's a local thing... They're juicy and delicious but man, they just don't got enough meat on them. Buy a breadbasket full of them and you'll be fine, though.

I've eaten a lot of other things, but those are the main things. I've always wanted to try koala and boar, because I feel they have potential; I'll look into that. I also ate some funky Greek foods in Greece that I don't really know by name, but nothing very good or worth noting. Turkish food doesn't do it for me.

BTW, has anyone ever had Prarie Oysters? They're bull or buffalo testicals pounded flat and fried. They sound interesting; anyone got experiance with them?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Johnny Justjohnny][COLOR=Gray']Frogs Legs - I don't know if this counts as unconventional, but I've never seen it anywhere outside of Quebec, so I assume it's a local thing... They're juicy and delicious but man, they just don't got enough meat on them. Buy a breadbasket full of them and you'll be fine, though.[/COLOR][/quote]

[color=deeppink]Nah. I know a couple places in Indiana that serve them, among them a Chinese place. And they are certainly delicious.[/color]

[FONT=Arial]I think I wanted to try alligator once, but my mom talked me out of it. Now I'm positive I don't want to put anything like that anywhere near my mouth, hah.

I'm pretty squeamish, so the only thing I've ever eaten that could be considered weird is sushi. I really like salmon and tuna, but I used to buy eel sometimes. There's a huge "gourmet grocery store" around two miles from my house that sells sushi for about $8 a box. On many occasions my friend and I rode bicycles there and splurged on it for lunch.

I guess the weirdest part about me liking sushi is that I don't like cooked fish. :/

Oh yeah. One night my vocalist had a rather large sleepover party, and around two AM we made some frozen eggrolls. One girl joked that they had cat in them because they were homemade by a Korean lady. Anyway, we accidentally drenched the eggrolls in cooking spray and left them to dry for about an hour, and eventually my vocalist decided to eat one. She promptly spit it out and threw it away with tears in her eyes; "I kept thinking it was actually cat!"

So much later in the night I decided to try one. I bit into it and it tasted weird, but that's not the scary part. I looked at the other half and there was a long purple thing moving.

I'm positive it was just some weird vegetable, but I almost puked. To this day I start crying if anyone mentions those eggrolls. [/FONT]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy][COLOR=DarkOrange][B]2[/B']. um... well i generally avoid eating strange things. i have an increadibly picky appetite and I refuse to put nasty things in my mouth. My brother's friend, though, recently took him to a Chinese buffet where the friend ate 8 tiny, purple octopi. Ew.[/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Georgia]HAHAHA. My friends step dad used to play with them and it was really gross. I never ate them before. They look at you. I can't even eat shrimp unless the heads are off. At Maryland they have them with the heads on because they are fresh catch. They are delicious but I made my Aunt peel them :( poor things..
[/FONT][/SIZE][quote name='Clurr][FONT=Arial']I think I wanted to try alligator once, but my mom talked me out of it. Now I'm positive I don't want to put anything like that anywhere near my mouth, hah.[/FONT][/quote]

[FONT=Georgia][SIZE=1]Believe it or not I'm naturally afraid of trying new food like that. But my friend said it was good and tasted like chicken. It was really good. Not to mention I got a pin saying that I was an official gator taster! I did it for the pin >_>[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=1][COLOR=Indigo][INDENT]I merged your posts together [B]affection[/B], please do not double post, just use the edit button if you wish to add something. Thanks. ~indifference[/INDENT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1] to start off, no, havent eaten an aligator before.

and to answer your second question, yea, my parents / relatives make oddities but they hella good:

1. chocolate meat - guys dont let the name fool you, they call it chocolate, cos the pig's blood used to cover the meat is remincent of chocolate. had some this morning, man...that tastes really damn good.

2. liver and onions - it's not that bad, just gotta fry the liver long enough so it ends up all golden brown, and it tastes better when you turn the raw onions into onion rings [like the kind you find at the fast food places]

3. kari kari - hard to spell, but it's good, basically take some veg, some meat and cook it with peanut butter. mmmmmmm..... ^___^

4. pig - some of my friends flip out when they eat it. dont know why, but they just do.

5. hot dogs - once I found out what goes into those...I filpped out. ew, I dont want intestines in my intestines....

well yea, that's all I can think of now.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Can't say I've ever had alligator. Seems like the meat would be a little rough. Hmm.

I've eaten bugs... unintentionally, of course. When you are running down a hill laughing, the whole ordeal is inevitable. :/[/size]

[size=1]Now that you mention it. Cats are very good food for dinner too. When I went to China last year, they served me cat (though they almost tricked me into believing it was lamb *sigh*) and it actually tasted very good. Though it was really the most awkward food I've ever had. And here I was thinking I'd be the only one to have ever eaten cat. Thanks, White. :)

I've never had gator bites myself. They don't sound too nice, as I prefer gators as far away from me as possible. Let stand in my stumache.[/size]

[SIZE=1]I've never eaten alligator meat but I've eaten shark and squid or flake and calamari to give the proper names. Squid which I originally thought would be horrible actually turned out to be very tasty and I ate it more than a few times, though if it wasn't cooked right (about 30 sec on a very high heat) it can be quite tough.

I've eaten rabbit too, though I didn't realise it was rabbit at the time. [/SIZE]

Guest tigerboy20
I dont think i would ever eat that bcuz i might either..

A) pass out and then sue.

or...

B) aquire a taste 4 it and then eat it 4 ever

Hmmm...the most disturbing food i ever eaten would have to b pig's feet...yeah :animesigh

[color=crimson]I was going to eat alligator at a recent cajun festival but the booth RAN OUT of gator-on-a-stick. I was very disappointed.

I love to try eating new things. I will literally try anything once and I have discovered many good, unique ethnic foods that way. Been grossed out a few times too, lol.

Those little octopi I've eaten at Chinese buffets before. The ones that are about an inch high and have little eye sockets and everything? I was eating with my best bro and I named my little octopus 'octopus-san'. Octopus-san has a very sad life story involving rain clouds, unrequited love and ultimately ends up eaten by a giant man. I was like dancing him around with my chopsticks singing 'Octopus-san, octopus-san' in a high pitched voice.

It was a very scarring event for the octopus.[/color]

I've had alligator and it's absolutely excellent. People will tell you that stereotypical "it tastes like chicken" line, but it's more or less true. I would say it's sweeter and generally juicier, though.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to find it in Florida. In recent years, even I make it down there, it's been harder and harder to find. If places do have it, the pieces are incredibly small. And since it's usually fried up like little nuggets, you get a lot more batter than alligator.

I believe around Daytona Beach (or at least somewhere between there and Orlando) there's a restaurant called Park's Seafood. I used to get it there and the pieces were huge. I loved it there. I have no clue if it's still around.

[quote name='Semjaza']Unfortunately, I've only been able to find it in Florida. In recent years, even I make it down there, it's been harder and harder to find. If places do have it, the pieces are incredibly small. And since it's usually fried up like little nuggets, you get a lot more batter than alligator.[/quote]

[FONT=Georgia]We have it up here in PA :DDDDDDD
It was awesome and I never had any "out of the ordinary" foods...
I even got a special pin for trying it out.
"Official Gater Taster"
How cool is that?!!!! Hahaha.[/FONT]

I've eaten a variety of animals, Crocodile, Emu and Kangaroo meat at the Royal Melbourne Show from two years ago. They are all rather tasty with Kangaroo steak being a personal favorite of mine.

Crocodile (Essentially a larger and angrier version of an Alligator) I found to be very tough but with a strong flavour.

[QUOTE=PWNED]I've eaten a variety of animals, Crocodile, Emu and Kangaroo meat at the Royal Melbourne Show from two years ago. They are all rather tasty with Kangaroo steak being a personal favorite of mine.

Crocodile (Essentially a larger and angrier version of an Alligator) I found to be very tough but with a strong flavour.[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Kangaroo meat is delicious, like lamb but a bit richer. My brother and stepsister refuse to eat it cause of the 'poor kangaroos' though... next night? Scarfing down that veal.[/font][/color][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOliveGreen]Alligator meat? I haven't eaten any, but I really would like to try it! All of the different kinds of burgers listed in this thread sound erally good. I'm a pretty big fan of burgers myself, but i've always thought they could be better. The best I've tried is a Five Guys burger, but if different meat goes for better results, then by all means, I'll dig in.

Americans are really strange in how picky we are about our food. We have an increadibly selective diet and everything tastes the same. We get grossed out by anythig different, too. I don't know if it's like that in any other countries but it's really annoying regardless.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Georgia]Yeah,
I told my Great Aunt about me trying alligator, and her being old fashioned and American... pretty much just scowled at me. It's amazing on what limits we live by. Though I'm more afraid to eat my friends Dad's food than that of a restaurant. He just makes scary looking food.

The alligator I had was more of an alligator "bite", it was seasoned but it was excellent. They are really popular around here, I suppose. The restaurant I went to gained interest after that strange food came out. Many people recommend to at least try it.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Kangaroo meat is delicious, like lamb but a bit richer. My brother and stepsister refuse to eat it cause of the 'poor kangaroos' though... next night? Scarfing down that veal.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]
Your tealling me, If I tell anyone that I'm having a BBQ then they won't bother asking. Everyone that I know, knows that I think Kangaroo is tasty and that I reallly like it. Everyone else think I'm a sicko

Guest Basaka
Buffalo Burger - the king of all burgers, baby. Amazing. The meat is expensive - 6 bucks for 4 good-sized burgers - but really tastey. Recommend it!

Poutine - Now, I eat so many of these that they've become mundane to me, but most of you aren't from Quebec so you probably have never heard of this dish, so I'll include it here for your pleasure. Imagine a plate full of lard-fried frenchfries covered in cheese curds (look them up if you've never heard of em; I know they don't sell much outside of Canada) and then slathered with the thickest gravy you've ever seen. My favourite dish.

:animestun My uncle went hunting, and they shot a moose. They devided it up and stuff, and then he cooked some of the meat. After I was all done eating, he said it was moose tongue. Haha, that was good though.

I did eat duck and rabbit soup before. Pretty good. The duck soup was kinda greasey though. Oh and those buffalo burgers are good, buffalo jerky too. Mmm.. Its really healthy too, better then beef.

Oh yeah, me and my brother make poutine fries too. Those are awsome, really good.

[b]1. Has anyone ever had gator bites?[/b]
No I have not but I am more than willing to try them. I just have not had the opportunity. I don't live in 'gator country.

[b]2. What is the weirdest thing you have ever eaten? (Did you like it?)[/b]
Weirdest thing to me (which may be completely normal for someone else) would have to be [b]jellyfish[/b]. It was pretty good. Very salty. Texture wise it was a bit gummy (like a gummy worm) on the outside with a crunch on the inside. The crunch was like biting into a rice crispy.

I would not actively seek it out but if it were presented to me again I would eat it.