OtakuBoards

Favorite Anime Music

2010DigitalBoy

[quote name='Deus ex Machina'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'm mad that my recent thread with my list of 50 favorites is being totally ignored right now >_>[/COLOR][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]There, I merged them into one general anime music thread. (And ripped the recent posts out of that ancient thread of Adam's to stick in here too.)

Also, watching that gif synced up to the beat of (I Just) Died in Your Arms is weird and hilarious, as I just found out.[/color]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Off the top of my head, when I think of anime songs that rock my socks-- anything from FLCL! Hybrid Rainbow, I don't know the words to explain the way this song makes me feel. lol. It really gives me a sense of tranquility in the beginning, and when the song gets intense, a feeling of emancipation, and a vision of something ethereal. Probably because in the anime Kanti has wings when this song started playing. To me, FLCL was revolutionary when it first came out, the anime was great, and it was better because of the music.

Oh yeah, Heart of Sword. That was one badass song when the Kenshin series was out. I remember thinking, "OMG, an anime song that isn't cute? Sung by a J-rocker?" That must've been the first time I heard a real rock song in anime. Almost 10 years ago.

And yeah, I noticed these songs were in your list as well. =]

A lot of the anime songs that came out right before these anime were pretty.... how do I put this? Many sounded really cute and 80's-ish. Well, the ones I heard anyways. Around this time I noticed anime was finally stepping out and becoming more popular in the states, so I got some exposure to a greater variety of anime and the music that come with them. Though I stopped watching much b/c of going to college.

I've only been able to keep up with the Naruto series, and I gotta say, they have some awesome opening songs such as Seishun Kyosokyoku and Rocks. Those guys really sang their heart out.

• 3 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrange"][B]Eureka Seven[/B] probably takes my vote for best music in an anime series, period. not to metion the third opening theme, [B]taiyou no mannaka e[/B], haas got to be one of the most awesome, heartfelt openings ever. I could listen to this song all day <3 So ****ing epic. [/COLOR]

• 3 months later...
1. D-51-Brand New World (One Piece)
2. DBSG-Asu Wa Kuru Kara (One Piece)
3. TRIPLANE-Dear Friends (One Piece)
4. BoA-Every Heart (Inuyasha)
5. Every Little Thing-Grip (Inuyasha)
6. ANZA-Tobira Wo Akete (Card Captor Sakura)
7. Hitomi-Over The Sky (Last EXILE)
8. BoA-Duvet (Serial Experiments Lain)

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='jen_sa']1. D-51-Brand New World (One Piece)
2. DBSG-Asu Wa Kuru Kara (One Piece)
3. TRIPLANE-Dear Friends (One Piece)
4. BoA-Every Heart (Inuyasha)
5. Every Little Thing-Grip (Inuyasha)
6. ANZA-Tobira Wo Akete (Card Captor Sakura)
7. Hitomi-Over The Sky (Last EXILE)
8. BoA-Duvet (Serial Experiments Lain)[/QUOTE]How about you tell us why you like them? What makes them your favorites? ^_~ Simply listing them is kind of bland and doesn't really tell us much.

For example, take the opening song to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBC65-1GjAU"][U]DNAngel[/U][/URL], I love how it starts out with organ music and then moves into a pretty piano melody. ^_^ I also enjoy it because I think the singer has a great voice. It's smooth and pretty. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]My gosh, there's a thread on this? and I didn't even think to look for it?

V_V

I phail.

Anything done by Yoko Kanno has got to be at the top of my list. I mean, my gosh. The woman can write in any style she needs to and do it flawlessly; she moves from classical guitar (White Wolf Hill, I think ? Wolf's Rain) to bebop (Tank ? Cowboy Bebop) to experimental/electronica and easy listening (Rise and Inner Universe, and Living Inside The Shell, respectively ? GitS).

That, and I love the neo-Classical feel of Death Note's soundtrack. Lots of good Mass-esque stuff there. Makes me feel evil inside.[/FONT]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]How about you tell us why you like them? What makes them your favorites? ^_~ Simply listing them is kind of bland and doesn't really tell us much.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I can help shed a little light on one of those songs.

Here is the first entry:

[YOUTUBE="One Piece Opening 6: "Brand New World" by D-51"]7Xr36cysodg[/YOUTUBE]

Simply irresistable. Best opening any show has ever had, in my opinion. Upbeat, catchy and really gets you pumped for what's about to happen in the next 30 minutes. I always try to keep a copy of this song lying around somewhere in my hard drive. It's that good.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Aceburner']Simply irresistable. Best opening any show has ever had, in my opinion. Upbeat, catchy and really gets you pumped for what's about to happen in the next 30 minutes. I always try to keep a copy of this song lying around somewhere in my hard drive. It's that good.[/QUOTE]I've only hear the English version, which by the way I do not like. XP This sounds much better really, seems far more fitting for the show. And while we are here, another song I really like is this one:

[YOUTUBE="Pretear Opening"]Zz_Nq12SAeU[/YOUTUBE]
It's just so pretty and has a fun pace to it that really suits the show well. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

WOW! You're right! That Pretear opening was great!:animesmil Now, as for the One Piece opening, I'm sorry, Aceburner, I guess it was just not my kind of song.:animeswea But I do admire your dedication to One Peice.(Heck, you even defended it in the worst anime thread.) So please don't start beating down on my head, okay. Well, here goes:

Lucy Star's opening- It' so catchy!
Naruto's second opening(haruka kanata)- Really energetic!
Naruto Shippuuden's first opening- Even more energetic!
Naruto Shippuden's first ending- Awwww! Really good to draw to!
Comic Party's ending- KAWAII!!!

That's all for now, I'm sorry that I don't have videos for them. I don't know how to add them. So, look them up if you care enough on youtube or sometin', lazies!

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I've only hear the English version, which by the way I do not like. XP This sounds much better really, seems far more fitting for the show. And while we are here, another song I really like is this one:[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume that you mean this English version:

[YOUTUBE="One Piece 4Kids Rap"]2OrMqQP_oDk[/YOUTUBE]

Which is basically a mess of bad lyrics, bad singers, an annoying beat and overall poor musical direction, because here's their current opening since they switched hands:

[YOUTUBE="One Piece English Opening 2: "Toward the Light""]Dx49V3BuHjI[/YOUTUBE]

Which fits the show to a T. It's upbeat, catchy, the lyrics capture the essence of the show nicely (it's almost a direct translation of the original song, after all) and it's sung by Vic Mignonga, One of their best voice actors as well as an awesome singer an all around great guy (from what I hear.)

Of course, if you did mean that one, that's fine, it just shows that we have different musical tastes, since it's another of my favorite anime songs.:)

EDIT:

[quote name='chibi-master']WOW! You're right! That Pretear opening was great!:animesmil Now, as for the One Piece opening, I'm sorry, Aceburner, I guess it was just not my kind of song.:animeswea But I do admire your dedication to One Peice.(Heck, you even defended it in the worst anime thread.) So please don't start beating down on my head, okay. Well, here goes:[/QUOTE]

No worries! I'm not going to start attacking someone for having different musical tastes than me. The only reason I defend it so vehemently in the Worst Anime thread is that most if not all of the people who named it in there have probably only seen the 4Kids dub of the show which is, in the nicest terms possible, an unfair representation of the original. I just think that people should know the whole story before jumping to conclusions.

[FONT="Tahoma"]That Pretear one was pretty and looking into it has me wanting to watch the show now. >_> At this rate I'm going to have a huge list of shows to check out. XD

Anyway, it's kind of hard to have a favorite when I've seen so little anime. But I do like the opening to Lucky Star. It's a fun and catchy song that I think fits the series rather well. :catgirl:

[YOUTUBE="Lucky Star Opening"]ViEH57xQu1c[/YOUTUBE][/FONT]

Oh man... being able to embed videos adds a whole new dimension of awesome to this thread.

[youtube=Air Limited Edition OP (Tori no Uta)]pNMsWuBmYfc[/youtube]

The Air OP was a beautiful song with beautiful animation to begin with, but the special reanimated opening sequence done for the show's Blu-ray set is even more stunning.

ETA: Ooh, the Pretear OP made me really nostalgic...

~Dagger~

• 1 year later...
So, I guess this is the generic favorite OP/EDs thread? Haha, glad I did a search beforehand.

There are a ton of OP/ED songs I enjoy, so I think I'll stick to ones where I love both the song and the animation ...

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CvQyJKBfLro"][b]Eureka Seven -- "Days" by FLOW[/b][/URL]: Duh. "Days" is probably my favorite OP as a standalone song, and the accompanying animation is pretty cool. The opening shot with Renton makes me want to jump into the sky and fly around forever. And when Eureka gives Renton that loving look ... god, I am such a sap; I fall for it every time. Jeez.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBGg9yZKGxE"][b]Honey and Clover -- "Dramatic" by YUKI[/b][/URL]: This song is up there with "Days," in that it makes me want to run outside immediately and fall in love, although the song is bittersweet, much like [b]Honey and Clover[/b] itself. There's just so much spirit to the way YUKI sings. The second OP animation for [b]Honey and Clover[/b] is much more conventional, but this is the one that sticks in my mind most.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mR0C-E4XUI"][b]Kare Kano -- "Tenshi no Yubikiri" by Mai Fukuda[/b][/URL]: Can't bring up great OPs without mentioning [b]Kare Kano[/b]. In terms of combination of great song and great animation, this might be my all time favorite OP. Gainax went all out on this one; it's just so visually interesting!

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bt2oKgo5m-Q"][b]ef - a tale of melodies -- "Euphoric Field" by ELISA[/b][/URL]: Similar to the [b]Kare Kano[/b] OP, SHAFT just went all out on the visual style on this one. Bold images, bold colors ... it's just all around awesome. Love the song, too.

Oh jeez, favorite anime music... there's so much good stuff out there. I'll just mention what I can remember off the top of my head for now.

For one, .hack. OMG WHAT A SUPRISE.
Yeah, I like pretty much all the .hack music (anime [i]and[/i] games) and have even gone out of my way to buy every single soundtrack out there. But specifically in regards to the .hack anime, I love the stuff from SIGN (by Yuki Kajiura) and Roots (by Ali Project). Both soundtracks do well at what they need to do: Set the appropriate atmosphere for the show and characters, not to mention make the tracks actually fun to listen to on their own later.

Here are two examples of some lovely tracks from .hack:

[I][URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzs2rURBv9E"].hack//Roots - give honour to our fellow[/URL]
[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azuxnVHcVQc"]
.hack//SIGN - the world[/URL][/I] [yes, it's literally the second song you ever hear in SIGN, but it's damn good]

And... because this post has gotten kinda long, I may just post thoughts on other favorite anime music later. XD

[FONT="Arial"][COLOR="Indigo"]I actually like the music to[B] DNAngel[/B]. o_O I don't have it, but Darren does and it's got some really pretty piano parts in it. I really should see about getting my own copy of the soundtrack to that show. Oh and another plus, one of the male singers has a nice smooth voice. I like it, even if I can't tell what he's saying. Also, it's totally nice that most of the few English words he sings are decently pronounced as well.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
D. Gray Man - Innocent Sorrow

FLCL - Advice (Instrumental), and almost all that are in the Anime.. Not all of the soundtrack is good to me.

Inuyasha - Fukai Mori, My Will, and Dearest

Cowboy Bebop - The Real Folk Blues

Naruto - Haruka Kanata

Fullmetal Alchemist - Ready! Steady! Go!, and the first ending in america on Adult Swim.

.Hack//Sign - Intro, and Fake Wings, and most others.

Rurouni Kenshin - Heart of Sword, in episode instrumentals

Yu Yu Hakusho - First Opening in America

Death Note - All the ones by Maximum the Hormone and Fre@k $how by Abingdon Boys School

Dirty Pair Flash - Opening theme.

Gundam SEED - Opening

G Gundam - Shining Finger

A whole bunch more but I don't feel like posting all of them.

• 2 weeks later...
Wow, I never posted here... I have quite a few openings that I like, but for the time being I'll just post 3 of them.

Gundam 00 - Ash Like Snow
[YOUTUBE]FOpsNTIlK9Q[/YOUTUBE]

Ghost in the Shell: SAC - Inner Universe (I think that's the name)
[Youtube]rUk2r-cJtTs[/Youtube]
It might be me, but this sounds a bit weird from what I usually hear... I haven't seen the series in a while so I could be imagining things...

Ghost in the Shell: SAC 2ng Gig - Rise
[Youtube]r2_9epHxhhA[/Youtube]
Same thing here.. sounds a bit different/off to me, but I could be imagining it.

I may come back with a few more, but for now those are the ones I like the most at the moment, and BGM's are kind of hard for me to find at the moment.

PAPERMOON - Soul Eater

I Wanna Be - Soul Eater

Take it sailor uniform! - Lucky Star

Cagayake! Girls - K-ON!

Don't say 'lazy' - K-ON!

I downloaded a few full albums from japanese artists.
has anybody noticed that J-Rock/Pop artists like to use Caps?

weee love this thread :catgirl:

Hunterxhunter - ohio, do you feel, pale ale
gensomaden saiyuki - openings 1,2 and ending 1
samurai x - all songs
dragon ball - all of them
flame of recca - all of them
ghost fighter - all of them

and so much more to mention :animesmil

I love the song Higurashi no naku koro ni for the anime of the same title :D
it's creepy atmosphere fits the show perfectly X3
and anything from RockMan.exe is usually good and peppy, especially Doobee Doowop Communication and Futatsu no Mirai
and i love th Shuffle and Galaxy Angel music too :3
especially In the Chaos by JAM Project from Galaxy Angel, Jelly Beans, Angel Ukky, Horoscope Rhapsody, Happy questiong and Wish, You, and innocence from Shuffle!
The list goes on and on too X33

[Youtube]7YjCmY-XmII[/youtube]

[Youtube]GtloNvtGXX4[/youtube]

Those are the only One Piece and Bleach openings that I actually like. The OP one is pretty catchy, and the Bleach theme sounds like something that I'd usually hear in one of those old karate movies... (No Retreat No Surrender..)

• 4 weeks later...
I'm surprised that no one has mentioned BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad. This anime has some of the catchiest songs I have ever heard. Face, I've Got a Feeling, Moon On The Water, Hit In The USA (opening) to name a few. My other favorite is: Naruto - Haruka Kanata.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]Pretty much everything by Yoko Kanno. However, I've been meaning to check out some of Yuki Kajiura's music, and there are some songs from other artists/composers that I like (but not as much as Kanno). Kanno's music has so much variety, culture, and originality in it; I can't see why people wouldn't like at least one of the OSTs that Kanno has composed! ^.~[/COLOR][/FONT]