OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy: A Steampunk RPG

Sandy

Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?

• Primas Generous
    • Augustine Beauteous
    • Juvenus Courageous

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]Okay, the cannon is activated so the air battle can begin.[/size][/QUOTE]I'm actually working on a post that happens before the air battle begins... I should have that finished within the next hour or two though. I'll edit this post when I'm done, if no one else has posted by then.

[B]EDIT:[/B] And it's up. :p[/COLOR]

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]Okay, the cannon is activated so the air battle can begin.

Great posts everyone! The tunnel group needs to figure out how to handle meeting up with Victoria/The Underdogs/Catherine. Try to use this thread to sort that out so that nobody gets confused.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]Poor Catherine. >_<

I don't know about getting to Catherine, but having talked to Shy and James I will be handling the part where the group catches up with Victoria... Oh is she in trouble! XP Anyway... *heads off to work on the post*

[B]EDIT:[/B] And I am done. In case it's not clear, the vibration that I was referring to is the cannon that was just activated by Catherine. So that background hum/vibration in the tunnels is on account of the weapon. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]I will be posting around the time this afternoon when my class gets out and I can set up my computer in all of its glory with plenty of room to walk around and shout at house plants.

Great plans.[/FONT][/COLOR]

I'd like to end Gadget's part in the story with at least one of his parents.

I've been planning that he would have a verbal command recorded to his magitech-infused brains (don't ask me to explain the mechanics, please) by Callisto Prometheo. If anyone would say the command, Gadget's power would "detonate", releasing a powerful blast of energy capable of killing all those around him. So he is a walking time bomb, so to speak (like Callisto hinted in the post she died in).

So I was thinking that Leonhart would utter the command at a critical moment, and Gadget would explode, taking his parents (or at least one of them) with him. It would also give Gadget a proper meaning in the story.

Whether Macey knew about it or not, that's up to D'Ann to decide.

Aside from that scene, I have planned the final post to this game which was sent to Shy. I won't spoil it for the rest of you, though. It doesn't mention anyone's characters, if you're worried about that, so you can end your own storyarchs in whatever way you wish.

[font=franklin gothic medium]Gadget's purpose was to be a walking bomb! How did I not get that... heheh. :catgirl:

Anyway it's cool (and somewhat strange) that this RPG is now coming to an end. I am assuming I will end Audrey's story arc during or just after the air battle.

(Will the game end AFTER the air battle?)

As for Gustave...I will likely do another post with him, but since I'm not sure how things will end in the tunnels, I'll likely leave the rest to others.[/font]

I imagine Catherine's story arch as it were, will mainly focus on ending up getting free somehow. After all her usefulness to the Starks is coming to an end. I imagine her and Leonhart are now only being kept alive[I] 'just in case'[/I] With the cannon now active, they really doesn't have a use for them anymore.

So I imagine that will end up coming about on account of the actions of the others, Victoria/Gustave/etc. I'm not sure how though. Any ideas?

Well, although Audrey and Jack's story won't be ending per se I think I'll be wrapping things up the day after the air battle away from the family. Although I'm curious as to find out how everyone's getting out of the tunnels. As I said Jack could be the getaway car, especially if Gadget was just a walking time bomb. I must say, even though this was a great game, it feels somewhat anti-climatic that the "main" character was little more than a suicide bomber. I was looking more towards a genetically engineered Ubermensch created from the Dynast King's sperm in an effort to create an heir more worthy than his other children, who could shoot freakin' lasers. Of course, I thought too far ahead. Anyways its been great RPing with
you guys.

P.S: I didn't mean any harm by my previous comments, as I'm sure someone could spin it into something otherwise.

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium](Will the game end AFTER the air battle?)[/font][/QUOTE][size=1]The day will end after the battle, although we will be doing a 'final day' for each of the players to give their characters a proper send off with a final post.

I have a strange request Sandy. I'd like to have one of The Starks survive, I don't really care which one. King Primas has some difficult decisions to make about the future of his government, and having an Underdog leader to negotiate with would be extremely beneficial. Perhaps The Stark in question (probably Blair, since Donner absolutely has to die) can escape during the confusion, only to be apprehended in the tunnels.

I'm going to be gone for most of tonight, but I'll reply to your PM as soon as I can Sandy. We haven't had a chance to discuss the sequel in much detail, so there are some things we need to hammer out first.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Shy'][size=1] Donner absolutely has to die[/size][/QUOTE]Agreed. :p

As for the actual battle and such, having talked to the others, it won't be me who starts the air battle, I imagine it will be Gavin or Malkav or even James. My part won't happen until something else happens first. But yeah, I imagine it will be Gavin who gets us going, makes sense that the military would be the best place to start from. So... get posting Gavin! [/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='James;807497][font=franklin gothic medium]As for Gustave...I will likely do another post with him, but since I'm not sure how things will end in the tunnels, I'll likely leave the rest to others.[/font][/QUOTE]You could always post up to where they find the Underdogs, either as the battle is starting or about to start. With Catherine's hat in tow, I'm sure it's more likely that the group will believe her about Catherine being kidnapped.[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom;807498]So I imagine that will end up coming about on account of the actions of the others, Victoria/Gustave/etc. I'm not sure how though. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]Something as powerful as the cannon could cause parts of the cave to collapse when fired. So perhaps the confusion from something like that could facilitate the group finding a way to free Catherine and Leonhart?[QUOTE=Shy'][size=1'] Donner absolutely has to die[/size][/quote]Good because seriously. He [I]soooo[/I] needs to die. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote]The day will end after the battle, although we will be doing a 'final day' for each of the players to give their characters a proper send off with a final post.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]That's cool. It's a good opportunity.

I'm sort of hesitant to begin talking about the air battle because I don't want to step on any toes. Also I don't fully understand Jack's relationship with Daedalus and so on... I wouldn't want to mess up anything in that regard.

And I'm not sure how they'll get out of the tunnels... it may be that Jack saves them, but we don't want to draw too long a bow in terms of how believable everything is.

[/font]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]And I'm not sure how they'll get out of the tunnels... it may be that Jack saves them, but we don't want to draw too long a bow in terms of how believable everything is.[/font][/QUOTE]That part actually seems the easiest really, after all Aaryanna did indicate that the maps Victoria has indicates where the entrances into the tunnels are. Once they got Catherine and Leonhart, it would be easy for them to simply consult the map for the closest exit. Provided the tunnel in question hasn't collapsed from the cannon going off or from the actual fight in the air via crashing air ships. XP

In the end, Jack doesn't even have to play a part of them getting away at all. They can do that on their own since I imagine the Underdogs will be focused on the battle more than anything else. In the confusion I can easily see them finding their way out, using those maps of course.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Malkav']I was looking more towards a genetically engineered Ubermensch created from the Dynast King's sperm in an effort to create an heir more worthy than his other children, who could shoot freakin' lasers. Of course, I thought too far ahead.[/QUOTE]

Remember that there were supposed to be hundreds of people like Gadget as a result of Project Alchimaera, but due to the inability of humankind to sustain the magitechnological substance, he was left as the only one. As for why the project was started, I was going to reveal that in the final post, but I have to work it out with Josh first.

I can probably tell now that in the beginning, I planned that Gadget and the Starks would be relatives to the Almagests as descendants of Celsius' brother who moved to New Czenoble after some dispute, and was subsequently erased from the family tree. Because Almagest blood is special and ancient and stuff, it would enable the use of machines like the cannon as well as help Gadget survive the injections. But that idea wasn't approven by Josh, so I gave it up and made the Starks family commoners.

I also heard from Josh that some of you guys have been worried whether or not I will be a part of the sequel in the planning, and you may be happy to hear that I'm giving it up. Not because I don't want to participate in it, but because apparently I'm not good enough to play with some of you guys. I'm sorry to sound bitter, but that's how it is. Almagest was my concept which I started to expand with Josh and you guys, and it hurts me that some people want to push me away from it. But I know I can only blame myself for that.

I know I've made some foolish decisions during the game, and I know I haven't been active enough to make you turn to me in your game-related worries as well as Josh, and I know now that the co-operative hosting is a joke which I will never do again (not because of Josh, he's a great guy, but because co-hosting simply doesn't work when there are two people who want different things), but I hope we can put all that aside and focus on bringing this game to an end. Together.

[font=franklin gothic medium]I did have a longer post typed up, but I don't think it was necessary in the end.

I guess my only comment would be that none of this, as far as I know, is personal. In fact a number of members have talked about how much they like you.

The issue is purely based on substance. And it's kind of...undeniable, really.

In any case, I don't want to turn this thread into a critical exercise (constructive or otherwise). I agree that we should all just move on and end this thing as best we can.

My feeling is that each person should do a final post (not yet, but shortly) to wrap up their characters...and that should be it. No contrived/shoehorned end post. Just everyone's last posts and then, perhaps, some credits or something like that.

That's just my view though. Others may disagree.

[/font]

[quote name='Sandy;807526]I can probably tell now that in the beginning, I planned that Gadget and the Starks would be relatives to the Almagests as descendants of Celsius' brother who moved to New Czenoble after some dispute, and was subsequently erased from the family tree. Because Almagest blood is special and ancient and stuff, it would enable the use of machines like the cannon as well as help Gadget survive the injections. But that idea wasn't approven by Josh, so I gave it up and made the Starks family commoners.[/QUOTE]I actually like that they are commoners better. But then the[I] lost relatives[/I] is a pretty old ploy and way overused in stories these days, so having them actually be regular everyday folk is far more original in my opinion. Even if Donner needs to die. :p[quote name='James;807537][font=franklin gothic medium]I guess my only comment would be that none of this, as far as I know, is personal. In fact a number of members have talked about how much they like you.[/font][/QUOTE]Quoted for truth.[QUOTE=James'][font=franklin gothic medium']My feeling is that each person should do a final post (not yet, but shortly) to wrap up their characters...and that should be it. No contrived/shoehorned end post. Just everyone's last posts and then, perhaps, some credits or something like that.[/font][/quote]I like that idea, that's how we ended the first Silver One, Beth just had each of us do a final post with our characters instead of her doing a final one. I liked that a lot, it really gave us a good feeling of completion by getting to put in those last thoughts for our character. And the idea of simply doing credits for a final post? That would be kind of cool in my opinion. :catgirl:

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Perhaps I overdid it on the foreshadowing, but I always liked foreshadowing as a linguistic construct to move the story forward. Don't you?

But now it's wide open for all sorts of bad mojo to go down.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]There's nothing wrong with a little foreshadowing.

I'm sorry, I couldn't justify the entire group going in and rescuing Leonhart. Gadget is clearly the only one capable of doing anything, so I tried to humanize him a bit as he bravely decides to go it alone. There are actually a lot of parallels between Fonty and Gadget that we simply never got a chance to explore. He's an interesting character to write once you find the right angle to approach him from.

And we're eagerly awaiting the air battle to start. Gavin told me that he'll be giving it his full attention, so look forward to that over the weekend.

Oh and the 'final day' does not have to literally be a single day. If you want to set your final post a week, or a month, or whatever, after the story ends that's fine. If/when we do a sequel it will probably be taking place after a significant time jump in the story, at least a year.

-Shy[/size]

I'll wait for the airbattle to begin before I make my post. Kathy, do you want to post something with Catherine before Gadget comes to rescue you? I imagine he will give the compass to Catherine and Leonhart so they find their way out.

There will be some dialogue between Gadget and Leonhart, resulting in Leonhart uttering the command phrase I mentioned earlier, and then... well, you'll see. ;D

Josh, I will leave Blair alive if you really want to, but I can't see how Primas would want to negotiate with her about anything. There are still a lot of people in New Czenoble who don't have anything to do with the Underdogs and who would really appreciate that their opinions would be taken into account for once. Negotiating with them would be more fruitful, I think. ;D

[quote name='Sandy']I'll wait for the airbattle to begin before I make my post. Kathy, do you want to post something with Catherine before Gadget comes to rescue you? I imagine he will give the compass to Catherine and Leonhart so they find their way out.[/QUOTE]I plan on it, but it needs the battle to start first and for Catherine to have had a chance to calm back down, at least as much as anyone can in a situation like that. There is more to how one figures out to turn the cannon on and it was my intent to explore that in a conversation between Catherine and Leonhart.

I'm not completely sure though since until I attempt to write it, I'm not sure if it would work or not. Regardless, I wish for the battle to have started first so I'll wait on that and if it won't work... I'll post so you'll know not to wait on me.

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]I'm sorry, I couldn't justify the entire group going in and rescuing Leonhart. [/size][/QUOTE]I should have been more clear. I was thinking that the battle resulted in cave ins, giving them little choice. :p However, that makes more sense to do it your way, a lot less hassle really.

Word of warning though, Victoria may be happy to see the group, but if she gets it in her head that they are leaving on account of her... You'd better keep a good grip on her, that's all I'll say. She won't accept that, not after coming so far.

After all, she still sees the adults presence as nothing more than them stopping her and she doesn't fully understand what the deal is with Gadget. So she doesn't get why someone who doesn't even look like an adult is being allowed to go alone.

She may have been in the library with Macey and the others when the bomb was planted at Rosengard, but other than to know he's different, she doesn't know what that entails. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think there might be times where Victoria will simply have to be told by the adults...she is a child, after all. I'm sure she'd understand later on. :catgirl:

I'm sorry for how long it's taking me to post, I've been too busy to catch up on the story. But I'm going to do that today.

Malkav, as discussed I'm happy to write about the Cygnus's entry into the air battle. It won't matter much whether the air battle starts by then or not - I'll see how it goes.[/font]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]I think there might be times where Victoria will simply have to be told by the adults...she is a child, after all. I'm sure she'd understand later on. :catgirl:[/font][/QUOTE]Oh of course. :p But it would be fun for either Fonty or Gustave to pick up on her restlessness and talk seriously with her, to help her understand. I don't plan on having her actually manage to run off... I just think it would be in character for her to struggle with understanding why they didn't just go there and get Catherine and Leonhart. Heh. So it's mainly just something people can use in a post if they wish. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Oh of course. :p But it would be fun for either Fonty or Gustave to pick up on her restlessness and talk seriously with her, to help her understand. I don't plan on having her actually manage to run off... I just think it would be in character for her to struggle with understanding why they didn't just go there and get Catherine and Leonhart. Heh. So it's mainly just something people can use in a post if they wish. [/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yeah, I think that goes without saying. I figure Victoria has already had her major disobedient moment when it came to entering the tunnels. :catgirl:

Anyway I've posted and I've referred to the fact that the Underdogs' fleet from New Czenoble is currently headed towards High Czenoble. So whoever wants to commence the air battle can probably do that now.

(Also when I say "Underdogs fleet", I assume that the Underdogs aren't as advanced as the actual military. Presumably they are a rag-tag group who simply have high numbers of fairly ordinary airships at their disposal. I don't know if Shy/Sandy have given consideration to this aspect or not, so this is just what I assumed.)[/font]

[size=1]Yeah, the Underdogs probably only have a handful of military airships at their disposal. The majority of their fleet would be private airships refitted with weaponry, and also, pirate vessels. Since the battle itself will be taking place over Mount Grail the Czenovian forcewill be at a disadvantage; every shot they fire could potentially destroy the city below.

-Shy[/size]