OtakuBoards

What is your opinion on emo people?

HelloKittyLover

I read the dispair thingy in the lounge:animeangr, now I wanna knon wat everyones opinion on emoness is, If you are emo tell me what you think about emo haters. I have emo friends so please dont be to mean with your post or you might affend someone:animedepr... post away now.:animesigh

[IMG]http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r115/tpcsecrets/emo.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn110/Landon314/EMO/lawn.jpg[/IMG]

[quote name='HelloKittyLover']What is it that you dont like about emo people?[/QUOTE]

Emo people usually act like every little thing in their life is a tragedy even when there are so many people with problems far greater than emo people's. Plus, cutting yourself is a bit inpractical(yes, I'm stereotyping). If pain shows you that you're alive, pinch yourself on the rear. And I believe the term that best fits emo-ness is "deppression". So, no, it's not a way of life as I have so often heard it reffered to as, it's a bunch of teens and pre-teens trying to get people to sob with them. (By the way, no offense intended to any "emo" people or people with "emo" friends.)

And that picture is funny because...oh, forget it, you'll just flame me. And by the way, you really are asking members to jump headfirst into what to you is a touchy subject, so don't overreact.

[FONT="Garamond"]From what I see, they just tend to downplay everything good in their lives and revel in the bad. It's just really annoying =) Why would anyone want to spend so much time dwelling on the bad? That's not living. Other than that I'm pretty indifferent, though I think kids that just like the style AKA scene look a little ridiculous.[/FONT]

I agree with everyone else. Especially the part of EMO = DEPRESSION...

I mean, emo didn't even start out as a style or "way of life." It started as a style of music which stereotyped the word "emotional" with people who are often sad (aka crying, depressed) emotional people can be overly happy, you know?

That's why I hate so many different tangents to music. It becomes a bit confusing and really influences people in a negative way. When someone asks me what kind of music I listen to, I always tell them rock. If they want anything more specific than that, I'll tell them the artists' names. If they don't know them and they're interested, then they can go and look them up.

But I digress...

Everyone is "emo" (for lack of a better word) every once in a while. I am right now, and people can tell without me wearing skinny jeans, capitalizing on the "nerd glasses," or having the signature emo hair cut...

And I definitely agree with Lunox in saying that it's just a fad, for the most part. The only thing that makes it so easy to follow is that most middle/high school kids don't know how to deal with their depression in a healthy way. Downplaying all the good things in someone's life and giving in to lyrics of a song is just sad, in my opinion.

Join an organization and stop ostracizing yourself from mainstream society and your life will be a whole lot easier. Now, that doesn't mean that there aren't some people who simply like the clothing style... That's fine; no big. As long as they aren't giving up themselves to be part of the "I-feel-sorry-for-myself" crowd, then I'm okay with that.

[quote name='HelloKittyLover']Chibi can you explain it a little better please . What is it that you dont like about emo people? And how is that pic funny.?! I have questions ....... answer them.:animesigh[/QUOTE]

I have a better question: How is that picture not funny?

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]When someone tells me they're emo, all I think is: oh you're depressed. Or if someone tries to tell me it's a statement, it looks more like some fad or craze that kids are using to try and be different. I also see it as something they'll grow out of when they get older. It's hard to have much of an opinion since the [I]emo[/I] phase started long after I was out of High School. Back then ([SIZE="1"]yes I'm old, lolz[/SIZE]) they called themselves Goths. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]See, through many situations in my life as an 8th grader, I've ran across "emo" people. It really confuses me, because I was talking to a friend of mine one day and she said that people don't understand emo people. I mean, from what I've seen, a lot emo people have depression problems(excuse me if that's offensive in any way). However, some kids who claimed they were emo weren't depressed at all. It's like it was a style and there were two categories. Those who were really depressed and those who just wore the "emo" style. I can understand why real emo people may be angry at those who are just wearing their clothes and hair in an emo way. They don't understand how they feel. I don't understand myself, to tell you the truth, as I've never been. What I don't understand is that it's said the emo people cut themselves. Another friend of mine said she went "emo" and still had the marks on her wrist from it but then said that she got over it. I'm wondering, if someone becomes emo, is it always because their life is hard? And sorry if I'm off topic here, but where exactly did the word "emo" come from?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lunar][COLOR="Indigo"']And sorry if I'm off topic here, but where exactly did the word "emo" come from?[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial][COLOR=DarkRed]Darren[/COLOR] did a bit towards answering that.

"Emo" is another high-school method for seeking attention. It's a fad, a status, and nothing else. If there's a person who would genuinely meet all the stereotyped attitudes of an "emo", then they're most likely genuinely depressed, and won't go around calling themselves "emo".

Being "emo" has nothing to do with having actual emotional or psychological needs, problems, or stress.[/FONT]

[quote name='Lunar'][COLOR="Indigo"] I mean, from what I've seen, a lot emo people have depression problems(excuse me if that's offensive in any way). However, some kids who claimed they were emo weren't depressed at all. It's like it was a style and there were two categories. Those who were really depressed and those who just wore the "emo" style. I can understand why real emo people may be angry at those who are just wearing their clothes and hair in an emo way. They don't understand how they feel. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[size=1]No.

It really takes this mick when people dress to 'look' depressed. Why would you go around showing that off? People die because of that. People go through hell because of it... so either 'emos' are wrong for dressing up and giving off this 'depressed' look, or wrong for pretending to be depressed, because it's not a fashion statement and it's not big. A lot of [i]people[/i] have depression problems - not emos. You should be careful with that, heh.

They can do what they want, really, I don't even care. They can call themselves emo for whatever reason, as long as they don't bother me - it really doesn't bother me what group they attach themselves to, it only bothers me when they're irrational jackarses.

I've had my fair share of those 'pretend-I-want-to-be-in-a-group-somewhat-emos' and kids who don't label themselves but would be labelled, by others, emo. And the former group I avoid for reasons that they really do seem to think depression and cutting themselves is a fad. It's not funny and it's not clever.[/size]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't really understand the whole emo phenomenon at all. My limited impression has always just been that "emo" fans are supposedly in touch with their feelings. I am not sure how this relates to a musical style, but I digress...

I think my biggest issue with the whole emo thing is primarily that it is associated with depression. And that has kind of made light of depression, because people often joke about "emos" and their unhappiness.

The problem is that depression is a very serious illness and in many cases, depressed people [i]do not[/i] show outward signs of "unhappiness". In fact, it's erroneous to say that depression = unhappiness. The two are not mutually exclusive at all.

So more than anything, I think the whole emo thing cheapens the real plight of people with various degrees of [i]actual[/i] depression.

Some of the kids who say they have depression are either seeking attention or are simply mistaking other emotional problems for a different illness.

But as I said, I have no real knowledge of "emo" music or anything...so I can't comment on that. I just tend to think of emo as a particular style more than anything, which some kids seem to follow. I just assume they will move past it once the next thing comes along.[/font]

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]
So more than anything, I think the whole emo thing cheapens the real plight of people with various degrees of [i]actual[/i] depression.[/font][/QUOTE]

Nail-on-head.

Most of these "emo" kids (and I say kids because I've yet to meet anyone older then 17 who calls themselves emo) aren't actually depressed at all. I understand high school can be hard for some kids and being a teenager is "the worst thing in the world" *cough* but once you grow up a bit you realize when you were in high school and you still lived with your parents... you had it made, no bills, no debt, no (real) worry, what a time... what a time...

The problem with being a teenager though is that you're so self absorbed you don't realize how good you have it, and how much harder life outside of the high school bubble actually is. Suburban teens driving around in their mom's toyota corolla aren't emo, a 45 year old who works in a factory 60 hours a week to support his family is emo, only they're not.

"[I]My name is Gordon, this is my cat, I like the Cure. Mehh[/I]. Who gives a f**k?!"
-Ricky Gervais

Others have said it, but I see it as a phase that hopefully the kids will grow out of. The ones who are truly depressed aren't likely to do things to bring attention to themselves. Anyone I've seen who calls themselves emo, have nothing to be emo over, making me think it's nothing more than a means to get attention.

I mean sure they have a few things in their lives that are frustrating, but nothing worth getting that worked up over. They've yet to realize that everyone has things that are frustrating in their lives and that it's normal and nothing to worry over.

[quote name='Vicky'][size=1]

It really takes this mick when people dress to 'look' depressed. Why would you go around showing that off? People die because of that. People go through hell because of it... so either 'emos' are wrong for dressing up and giving off this 'depressed' look, or wrong for pretending to be depressed, because it's not a fashion statement and it's not big. A lot of [i]people[/i] have depression problems - not emos. You should be careful with that, heh.

[/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"][COLOR="SlateGray"][COLOR="Indigo"]
See, I forgot to say that I don't really know alot about emos. I'm kind of clueless, really. Forgive me. I honestly didn't know. I've only been exposed to that for a short time. What really doesn't make sense is why people would dress like that. :animedepr[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"][quote name='Allamorph][FONT=Arial']Being "emo" has nothing to do with having actual emotional or psychological needs, problems, or stress.[/FONT][/quote]Exactly. It's a self given label and at that point, it has become meaningless in that respect.[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]The problem is that depression is a very serious illness and in many cases, depressed people [i]do not[/i] show outward signs of "unhappiness". In fact, it's erroneous to say that depression = unhappiness. The two are not mutually exclusive at all.

So more than anything, I think the whole emo thing cheapens the real plight of people with various degrees of [i]actual[/i] depression.

Some of the kids who say they have depression are either seeking attention or are simply mistaking other emotional problems for a different illness.[/font][/QUOTE]Most people who suffer from depression hide it instead of openly showcasing it. And like you just said, there's a big difference between true depression and simply being unhappy. One is a serious illness the other a more fleeting deal since the cause is usually far less serious.

Your last bit boils down to how I see it, attention seeking kids who think their issues in their lives are more serious than they really are. Not to say that some don't have real issues, but they're usually not the ones dressing up, cutting and declaring they're emo. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I view emos as attention-seekers who go out and make a point of whining and moaning about every little thing to get pity from people. It's a fad and people grow out of it fast. Some use it to be unique, which is a bit ironic considering frickin' everyone does it. I agree that none of them have a problem and I notice that they tend to be part of the groups that go with the latest fads instantly, indicating that either they don't really want to stand out or in their attepts to stand out they inadvertently end up conforming to even more cookie cutters.

In short, get over yourselves. It's called life, and it's bound to suck sometimes. Frankly, mine may already be sucking enough without you helping it along by bothering me with your problems.

Now their flagship superconformist here:

[IMG]http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/T/TE/TEE/TeenTitansFan65/1139595073_picsSasuke.jpg[/IMG]

He can die a thousand deaths and still leave my burning hatred unquenched.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Now their flagship superconformist here:

[IMG]http://www.quizilla.com/user_images/T/TE/TEE/TeenTitansFan65/1139595073_picsSasuke.jpg[/IMG]

He can die a thousand deaths and still leave my burning hatred unquenched.[/FONT][/quote]

Wow Ace. I'm really[I] not[/I] the only Sasuke hater.

Go die in a hole, Sasuke!!!!

Now, on to my thoughts on emo...

My friend was emo for about a month. She kept broken glass under her bed, cut herself, and proclaimed she was emo.

I honestly didn't care.

We have an emo kid she called Mopey. Now she's gonna call him FX because of his sound effects he makes. He isn't really emo. He's more of... one of us... people in our area without a place. (as in we have no clique/group/whatever you wanna call it)

And again, DIE SASUKE!!!!

Jiraiya's much better than him... *starts ranting*

[SIZE="1"]I don't any more about people who are "emo" aside from the stuff that's already been said. I don't get how they expect anyone to take them seriously as a social grouping given they're whole outlook on their own lives is generally heavily distorted from the truth to comform with being emo. As Crys said it's not as if they're actually suffering from depression or other psychological conditions.

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.windycitizen.com/moms_minivan_conformist.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

*Snicker*[/SIZE]

From what I've seen over the years, it honestly looks like nothing more than the latest attention seeking phase that kids go through. I've yet to see any kid who claims to be emo that actually has [I]real [/I]genuine problems. It's been mentioned before, but the ones who do... don't bring attention to themselves like that.

So my opinion of emo is... I see it as a phase that hopefully they'll grow out of.

• 3 weeks later...
Eh.. Emo kids tick me off, it seems to me like this whole thing came about from kids that didn't want to be labeled by their peers as a goth. There are alot of similarities between the two. Both were started by genres of music, and seem to take on ideologies of their oun. Then suck in the people that are unhappy and feel like their life is nothing but misary, gee sounds like a cult lol. I wear alot of black, and black make up, so I call myself a goth, I get alot of steryotipical bull now and again but I deal. Back when I was younger I had alot of depression problem, thats how I got into that look. I love the style, but I gotta say you get really hot in the summer. anyway not about goths, emos. I hate it when people ask me if im emo, and when the other emo kids ask me if im trying to be emo. I laugh and tell them to back up or ill cut them with my razorblade, I really can't stand the trend.

But you think, hey, I'm the same way but in a different trend. Most of them are just social clicks which spread them through the school. In my school the preppy kids listen to alot of rap and hip hop, then they seem to mix up the emo's with the metal heads which seem to listen to alot of rock music. (I get thrown in with them, I think it's all the black) Seems like alot of people in highschool follow the crouds and the crouds are always centered around music.

I think lives would be easier if people just accepted each other for who they are but alas they don't. I don't even accept others, I think it's because we don't feel confortable around others not like how we as in our personal self is.