OtakuBoards

Hannah Montanna has died. R.I.P

TheShinje

Hannah Montanna is dead but Miley Cyrus is still alive, with a hot new look! The Hannah Montanna starlet has ditched her Disney alter-ego and her new album is called [i]Can't be Tamed.[/i]

Do you think she will survive the transition away from her Disney character's shadow? Or will she fade away without that Hannah Montanna brand?

[quote name='Shinje' date='19 June 2010 - 02:09 AM' timestamp='1276938558' post='695608']
Hannah Montanna is dead but Miley Cyrus is still alive, with a hot new look! The Hannah Montanna starlet has ditched her Disney alter-ego and her new album is called [i]Can't be Tamed.[/i]

Do you think she will survive the transition away from her Disney character's shadow? Or will she fade away without that Hannah Montanna brand?
[/quote]

[font="Times New Roman"][size="3"][color="#9932cc"]Well considering Miley Cyrus is hard to say, not exactly an attractive name, and doesn't even rhyme, I doubt she'll make it. Fingers crossed.[/color][/size][/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, considering she's still got an ongoing season of the Hannah Montana Disney Channel sitcom (One titled Hannah Montana [i]Forever[/i], no less), I doubt she's lost the handle just yet. In fact, I'll be pretty surprised if she ever manages to completely distance herself from her Disney persona. Just look at Shia LeBeouff. Guy's played a grand total of one role that isn't essentially an older version of Louis Stevens.

And when was the last time anyone's heard anything from Hillary Duff?[/font]

[quote name='Gavin' date='19 June 2010 - 08:37 PM' timestamp='1276994269' post='695629']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]This thread attracted me with false hope and when was then cruelly shattered...[/size][/font]
[/quote]
[color="#008000"]I second gavins thought, to the T.[/color]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Yeesh. Just because she's a silly teen starlet doesn't mean she deserves to die...

At any rate, I do give her props for at least attempting to transition.[/font][/color] Edited by Vivian

[b]I thought this was for real at first. D:

As for getting away from a role, I think most actors and actresses have the same trouble, if they land a role that they are well known for. I can't think of any examples except for the ones already mentioned though.[/b]

[quote name='Sam'][color="#9932cc"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Yeesh. Just because she's a silly teen starlet doesn't mean she deserves to die...[/font][/color][/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]Since when have you been such a Human Rights activist? =P[/FONT]

Im really hoping her transition fails miserably. I despise Miley Cyrus and its kinda weird that families still allow their children to be huge fans of both her and her persona. Whats weird is that shes fits a need for every member of the family: for dad and son...shes hot, for mom...she is a guide on how to dress lie ur teen without looking stupid, and for daughters...she is a role model on how to be a little slutty and still get away with it. THATS Creepy. Look, Im not gonna lie, she has got some talent but to start off on disney channel was a mistake. It would have been easier to start on like Nick or Cartoon Network, that way she could get away from her character without the world noticing. Also another thing...Miley is not deep at all...but she is smart. She is capitalizing on what girls from 12-19 what to hear and be. Every teenage girl always has glamor on their mind and say they are in love. Some are right but most girls are not in love, they just think they are. Ive seen it enough in school to know what Im talking about.

[color="#0000FF"]This has been something I've been curious about for a while so I might as well ask - why is it that people seem to [/color][i][color="#0000FF"]hate[/color][/i][color="#0000FF"] her so much and on such a nearly unanimous level? I can appreciate not being a fan of her music or her show or her message or anything else you wish to not be a fan of but people seem to have taken this really far and I'm curious as to why. Did I miss something?[/color]

[quote name='Petie' date='23 June 2010 - 11:22 AM' timestamp='1277306564' post='695881']
[color="#0000FF"]This has been something I've been curious about for a while so I might as well ask - why is it that people seem to [/color][i][color="#0000FF"]hate[/color][/i][color="#0000FF"] her so much and on such a nearly unanimous level? I can appreciate not being a fan of her music or her show or her message or anything else you wish to not be a fan of but people seem to have taken this really far and I'm curious as to why. Did I miss something?[/color]
[/quote]
It's sort of like a [u]Twilight[/u] effect. People don't mind if they don't like the books, but when a bajillion fangirls are jumping at you from around every corner, you start to hate it. In Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus' case, I never liked her. She seemed so fake in having an alter-ego. I hate to drag out this Disney crap, but: Be yourself. She wasn't. I happened to not like that. Now, I was content to avoid her, but then the Hannah Montana fever swept through and all anyone was capable of talking about was [i]her[/i]! I turned on the radio to hear some good music and all I could hear were her bubbly little pop songs as Hannah Montana. When she [i]also[/i] started singing as Miley Cyrus, it doubled the amount of crap. People now talked about her [i]and[/i] her alter ego! I now had to avoid her bubbly pop music [i]and[/i] the irritating country music!

Now, I'll admit some of her songs are okay, but her voice makes me uncomfortable. When it gets to be that people start raising her up on a pedastal and you're not one of the people doing so, all you can do is hope that she falls off sometime soon. When the Vanity Fair incident came out, I was hoping that the fever would be wiped out for the most part. But that only seemed to increase people's intensity in liking her! Every girl on my bus the next day was stopping everyone to tell them about how Hannah/Miley was innocent and the Vanity Fair people were evil and they still loved her. I don't need that crap first thing in the morning.

That makes me hate Hanna/Miley.

[quote name='Petie' date='23 June 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1277306564' post='695881']
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][s]Because it's trendy and cool.[/s] Or, as Chibi seems to have illustrated, good ol' [url="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/HypeBacklash"]Hype Backlash[/url].

Personally, I see it pretty fruitless to hate her. Maybe [i]now[/i] the concerns are valid as she's trying to break out of her kid persona and to be taken seriously, but even then, hey, at least she's [i]trying[/i]! She's trying to break out of the preteen demographic and into a new, more mature one, maybe even shedding some of her more pesky fans, and people are still irate about it. It boggles the mind, really.

I've also noticed that most people that hate her are [i]way[/i] older than her target demographic. Again, now that she's trying to aim for an older audience, the complaints might be a wee more valid, but the sheer amount of late teens/young adults hating her is rather baffling and confusing. I guess what Chibi said about the fanbase is true, but the fanbase is also primarily [i]kids[/i]! When we were their age, we had a bunch of stupid stuff we liked that the older demographic thought was idiotic, and most of us still defend such things to this day. That's why I personally do not hate her or make such libelous comments against her - it'd be like crapping on my own childhood.

I dunno. Hating Miley Cyrus/Hannah Montana makes about as much sense as hating [i]Blues Clues[/i] to me.

But with all that said, I'm not a fan. Some of her songs are alright, but I generally don't go out of my way to listen to her. But as I said before, I don't hate her, and find it rather frivolous to bash her every time she comes up. [And for the record, that's the stance I've also taken on the equally-controversial Twilight. While I hate the series and find it to be trash, going out and shouting my hatred from the rooftops is rather pointless at this point. I think the world knows enough just how love it or hate it it is.]

And then there's the argument that she's a bad role model, etc...while I'm content with that argument, that's also in the minority in terms of arguments that I've personally seen against her.[/font][/color]

[quote name='chibi-master' date='23 June 2010 - 11:16 AM' timestamp='1277309810' post='695884']When the Vanity Fair incident came out, I was hoping that the fever would be wiped out for the most part. But that only seemed to increase people's intensity in liking her!
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]I hate to break it to you, but that happens a [i]lot[/i], not just with Miley Cyrus. Granted, controversy like that is a crapshoot -- it can either completely tarnish their career, or shoot it to new heights. "No such thing as bad publicity", as they say.[/font][/color] Edited by Vivian

• 2 weeks later...
Hannah Montanna was really not that bad of a show, and people who irrationally hate on it are just angry at Miley Cyrus and the ambiguous "evil Disney corporation" people like to insult a lot. and they forget that most entertainment companies are just as heartless and greedy. lol. Edited by eleanor

i donno if its my affinity for kids shows... but i kinda liked the original concept of the show... (the whole turning into a real rock star thing not so much)
it just seems like it appeals to a large group of people(girls) and if you think about it... it was pretty original. the only thing that i could think of close to it was the WB show Generation O! (and if you havent seen that you are missing out. Letters to Cleo was actually a cool band)

overall i am kinda sad that the girl is finally giving up the innocent Disney star name for a chance at real stardom. i fear the rest of the world is not kind, and she is slowly leaving all her fans.

[quote name='Petie' date='23 June 2010 - 10:22 AM' timestamp='1277306564' post='695881']
[/quote]

[color="#2E8B57"]I hate that she is just another celebrity's kid trying to be a celebrity too. So that's more of hating a circumstance more than hating her. I don't waste my time hating her personally, but you know how I love to hate things. Her music is awful and I wouldn't want my daughter (if I had one) thinking she is a role model. [/color]
[url="http://totallylookslike.com/2010/06/17/miley-cyrus-totally-looks-like-linda-blair-from-the-exorcist/"]I did laugh like a madman when I saw this though[/url] Edited by Molleta

• 2 weeks later...
maybe to us it isn't great, but i still think there is a place for it... there are certain things i dont think people can be criticized(or sent into space to die) for, music choice is one of them. The fact of the matter is that disney brings these people up to the mainstream because they are liked by those they cater to (24 year old men haven't been disney's biggest viewer margin in a while im afraid) so you in particular arnt meant to like the music. but your niece probably flips out every time she hears a song.

just seeing how crazy the younger members of my family get is enough to give her a pass in my book.