OtakuBoards

What Kind of MP3 Player Do You Have?

Aberinkula

[COLOR=darkslategray]Ugh. I was bored, and I need to post something to take the time away.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkslategray]Okay so, what type of MP3 do you have? It can be old, it can be new, it can even be an Ipod. I'm not asking what music you have on it, but what brand it is, and how much memory it has. If it has any other features, tell us.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkslategray]As for me have a [B]1GB Ilo MP3[/B]. It's pretty good for only being about $37. I had a 2 GB one, but for some reason the headphone jack wouldn't work. It had a voice recorder, which I loved. But sadly my new one doesn't. It has most of the same features though. I like it, but I really can't wait until I get my Ipod this Christmas. It holds 500 songs, even though I only have 135 at the moment. When it's left on pause for too long it shuts itself off, which can be annoying, but comes in handy if I accidentally leave it on. But it doesn't have a very long battery life. It can have some sort of card but into the back, but I don't know what it's for?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=darkslategray][B]So what kind of MP3 do you have?[/B][/COLOR]
[B][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Changed the title for clarification.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]- Petie[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Even if you're talking about the actual player per se... I think this is better suited to the Music, Movies & TV section. *moves thread*

Anyway as for my MP3 player? I have one by sony that reads regular disks that you make with a program that came with it. Each disk holds about 500 songs. Which works well since I don't even have that many songs that I like to listen to. But it's great for the classical styled music I like since I can get any several piano concertos onto one disk.

I bought it because it has a locking feature so it can really take a lot of being jarred around and still play. Which was pretty important since at the time I was still working as a truck driver and Semi's do not ride very smoothly. lol Especially when the state in question has poor roads.

It's taken a lot of abuse but still works beautifully. Also, a bonus, the batteries last a long time which is great. And now I mainly use it for when I'm working out on the treadmill. Nothing like some good music for when you're walking. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"]I got a 30GB iPod video for Christmas in 2006. Unfortunately that one only lasted several months, but I took it to the Apple store and got a new one for free.

Right now my iPod has over 700 songs on it, but as it has the capacity to hold over 7000 I would love to vastly expand my music collection.

Other iPod owners: when you first set yours up, what did you name it? Most people I've talked to just call it "(Their name)'s iPod," but that just seems too boring. My first one was called Julian, and the one I have now is Lucio. I'm not planning on having to get a new one anytime soon, but I'm sure I will eventually, and when the time comes I'll probably christen it Edward (unless I gain new favorite names by then).

I don't think I'd feel comfortable with anything other than an iPod video. I just really love the iPod's interface and size...my sister has a nano and I'm afraid I would lose one very fast. :/[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I have the 60 GB iPod Video, though I don't use the video feature really. At the time I got it, I had an iPod Mini but needed more space. There's really not much to say about the iPod that people don't already know.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Many people complain about it but I've yet to have a problem with the player itself and its features. I've seen plenty of technical problems but those can usually be solved for free with a call to Apple, assuming it's in warranty. Overall, it's a good MP3 player and that takes a lot for me to say considering it comes from Apple.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]Edit:[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]Clurr, I, like many others left mine with the default name of Petie's iPod. I never really gave it much thought beyond that. And I agree with you on the Nano - it seems too easy to break/lose and it's a lot of money for not much storage space. Oh, and I'm just shy of 5,000 songs on my own :)[/COLOR][/FONT]

[size=1]I can't live anymore without my 60 GB iPod video and the 6376 songs (17,8 days / 30,51 GB) and counting that it contains. There's a few videos on it, including Advent Children, some Paul Simon documentary, a Charlie Chaplin movie (The Immigrant), a commercial and an art project I had to make for school. As for Podcasts, I only have the Avenue Q podcast on it. For the rest, I use my iPod as a harddisk to back-up my photos.

I've only had one problem with it before and you can easily solve it by resetting it (menu+center button). This thing is pure quality, and more vintage than the 80 GB, anyway.

Oh, and I don't think it's called anything else than "iPod". Don't intend to change it either.[/size]

I have an iPod nano and I just got an iPhone which also has an iPod option. I have a weird potpourri of music on them. Everything from "Yatta!" by those crazy Greenleaf guys to all my 80's songs I so dearly love.

My Nano has been really sturdy and hasn't given me any trouble. Once I dropped it on the treadmill, kicked it and had it bounced off the concrete floor with no issues. Now if we are talking about it being too small, I like it's size. It's nowhere near the size of that tiny iPod Shuffle. Now that thing is way too small! It makes me think of the Futurama episode where Amy kept swallowing her cell phones since they were so tiny. lol

As for that naming thing, I just leave it on the default which is my name. I just didn't bother with changing it.

Hey, same here. Mine's a Sandisk Sansa e280, but commercial advertising seems fond of dubbing it the [url=http://www.lilmonsta.com/]Lil' Monsta[/url] (a zany campaign if I've ever seen one). It does indeed come with a nifty Bag O' Tricks, biggest of which is support for 8GB worth of media.

For the most part I use it as a flash drive for storing and transferring anime series, since I don't have one of my own just yet. Before obtaining the player, I used to rely on CD-Rs for this sort of thing, which was much more tedious (albeit permanent). The leftover space goes toward various mp3s, but the contents in that corner are constantly changing. While it seems mp3 players are oft used as media libraries these days, but I can't bring myself to embrace that function for whatever reason. I actually enjoy switching music in and out of the player to reflect my fickle taste in music.

[size=1]I have a 30 GB iPod Video. I'll follow Boo's example and say the following: I have 1,649 songs, which is equilavent to 7.76 GB of music and it would take 4 days to listen to it all. As far as videos go, I have 8 of them which include Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children, Dane Cook's Vicious Circle, and Trigger Happy TV: The Best of Season Four. It would take 6.4 hours to watch all 8 videos, and they take up 1.49 GB. Clearly, I got my *** handed to me my Boo, haha.
;D!

Anyway, is it just my computer/iTunes, or is there less GBs of available space then what was advertised? Example, as I said, I bought a 30 GB iPod Video but in reality whenever I hook up my iPod and it shows me that page that shows me all the statistics about my iPod and what's on the iPod itself, it says I only have about 28 or 27 GBs of available space, somwhere along those lines, I can't remember the exact number.
Haha, false advertising, I say![/size]

[COLOR="Magenta"]I own a Zune. I got for my Grad present this year. I love it! It's a 30 GB. It holds as much as a 30GB Ipod. So far I have 258 songs uploaded. I'm still adding more to it. It holds pictures and videos. I only use the pictures and songs right now. I really don't know how to upload videos yet. The screen is big which is nice and it plays the radio and you can send things from Zune to Zune. It's a great piece of technology.

As for names go, I called mine Angel. Fits perfect. It's my all time favorite color. PINK!! I think that it's better than the Ipod but that's just me. I can buy songs at the Zune marketplace for about $.79! I think that it's really great. It is really sturdy and holds well in it's case. [/COLOR]

Guest KainXS
right now i have a ZUNE 30gb

only about 3284 songs on it

don't really watch videos on it

but theres no clock, thats really annoying

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]My mum just got a new iPod shuffle (and like her old iPod mini/cro which I fried, I'm the only one using it XD). It's a pretty strange device in that you're basically screwed unless you, y'know, shuffle, so I just loaded some crap on there and I listen to it when I'm in the room with someone who's gaming (because otherwise I force their volume down in favor of my music)

iPod's are fun and all, but god do they get on people's nerves XD[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]You guys are so lucky. I've never even owned an MP3 Player. I have a crappy discman that I have to carry around with all my CDs. >_>

I'm getting a Zune when it comes out (in November!), though. I can't wait. :3[/COLOR][/FONT]

Mine's a 60 gig Toshiba Gigabeat that I wouldn't actually have, save that I did some talking to a sales clerk at an electronics store, and discovered it and a 30 gig model that had been listed in the computer system (and lost in the back room of the store) for probably about a year, slowly depreciating in price until my dad and I nabbed them then and there for $75 and $50 respectively lol. It was a bargain-hunter's dream come true, honestly.

Of course, given that I got it almost a year ago, and it had been sitting around at least a year before that, I'm sure you can imagine that its features aren't really that outstanding. It only has support for mp3 and wav files, doesn't play video, and the (almost mandatory) software that comes with it is awful. That, and it runs slow enough to be irritating (titles scroll slower than they should, takes a few seconds to switch songs sometimes, etc.).

But even given that, I'd probably say I like it at least as much as the iPods that were out when this thing was new. The industry-standard iPod Click-Wheel Ripoff on it, a pressure-sensitive plus sign called a plus-touch, is actually really efficient, and I like it quite a bit more than the click-wheel. Toshiba really thought through this part of the player, assigning different actions to pressing on one of the points of the plus-touch once, holding it down, or sliding your finger across it in different directions. Better than just moving your finger clockwise or counter-clockwise, at any rate.

And of course there's the GUI, which features really big, ugly symbols pretty much everywhere, cutting large portions of text off (this is why the slow text-scrolling is such a big deal), and about five to ten pixels of wasted space around the border of each element on the screen. But hey, it's a big screen and it was probably at least somewhat early in allowing users to use their own backgrounds and choose from a variety of screen layouts. So I still can't find it in myself to hate it for that.

Oh, and naming your mp3 player? Meh. I'd call it by its product name, a Gigabeat, but that sounds even worse than naming it, and using the manufacturer name, Toshiba, is too vague and clunky-sounding. Always calling it "my mp3 player" quickly becomes too much of a mouthful. So usually, I just try not to refer to it directly at all. I'll just say, "Hold on, I've got to go get my music," or, "Hold on, lemme go get something." It's worked decently so far.

[quote name='boothten'][size=1]Anyway, is it just my computer/iTunes, or is there less GBs of available space then what was advertised? Example, as I said, I bought a 30 GB iPod Video but in reality whenever I hook up my iPod and it shows me that page that shows me all the statistics about my iPod and what's on the iPod itself, it says I only have about 28 or 27 GBs of available space, somwhere along those lines, I can't remember the exact number.
Haha, false advertising, I say![/size][/QUOTE][size=1]The 60 GB one only has 55,68 GB that you can actually use. The rest are silly software files and everything, I suppose. It's a bit of a pain, because you'd expect them to just add 5 GB more to it for their own apple crap, so that the costumer could have their full 60 (or 30, in your case) GBs. Moo.

Oh yeah, I also finally figured out how the notes and the address book work. It's handy to always have your addresses around, but I still don't use the notes. I had one whole note, apart from the instruction file, which were tabs that I made, but I think I just got rid of that one. :x Does anyone use notes [i]at all[/i]?[/size]

[quote name='Boo'][SIZE=1]The 60 GB one only has 55,68 GB that you can actually use. The rest are silly software files and everything, I suppose. It's a bit of a pain, because you'd expect them to just add 5 GB more to it for their own apple crap, so that the costumer could have their full 60 (or 30, in your case) GBs. Moo.[/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]The problem isn't entirely in the preloaded software. It does take up a little room but not that much. It really comes in on the scales they use to advertise the amount of data it can hold.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]In reality, 1,024 kb = 1 MB and 1,024 MB = 1 GB. These companies base their values on a 1,000 kb to 1 MB and 1,000 MB to 1 GB scale. It may not seem like much but it does add up. So that, combined with the software on the device, accounts for your missing space.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[font=Arial]I have a white 30GB iPod video, but it was a long and rough road to that point.

It all started off with this 75MB (yes, MB) sandisk mp3 player. I think it held like ten songs and required software you had to install, so I wasn?t too crazy about it. It worked well, though, and was durable so I stuck with it for a year or so.

My acute case of technophilia got the best of me, and I just [i]needed[/i] a better mp3 player. But since I was also a rebel without a cause, I refused to succumb to the iPod hype. I got a Zen Micro, made by Creative. Worked pretty well for a week, then the headphone jack broke. I sent it back for repairs, and they gave me a refurbished one. It worked alright for another two months before the headphone jack gave out again. I sent it back a third time, and it wouldn?t sync with my computer, so I stepped on it in a fit of rage and swore off Creative forever.

I saved up my pennies for my iPod, which took a while when you have to get a warranty as well. But it was worth every nickel and dime, I?ve had no problems to speak of and I?m almost at the one-year mark. I love you, Apple.[/font]

[IMG]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e9/Psp1.jpg[/IMG]

[SIZE=1] I have a 2GB memory stick and right now, I have 124 songs on it and 30 pictures of friends and random art pieces (no adult bs), but mine is falling apart (there's a crack in the battery, the analog stick is ripped out, the screen's covered in junk, etc) but hey, it still plays.

I will replace my old one with the redesigned one when it ships in October.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="SeaGreen"][SIZE="2"][FONT="Tahoma"]I have what everybody has (or i think they have) a iPod. But! Its is actualy the iPod nano and its only 2 gigs. But the bad part is that I havent even used half of the gigs :animeswea. But before that had a small samasung mp3 plyaer (i think thats the brand) adn it even came with a radio. But I truthfuly love music, its just that I cant afford a itunes card and my dad wont let me use limewire because he's afraid the songs i download might have spyware or something...[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/resources/2006/06/bdslitekey.jpg[/IMG]

Yeah. I bought the r4 and a separate 2gb memory card for it. It provides music for me while driving, seeing as I once had to destroy my cars antenna to break into it when I locked my keys in the car =/

I also used to have the Rio carbon, its 1gb, and cost me an amazing $30 US. But I gave it to my little sister once I figured out how to use the ds.

[SIZE="1"]I just recently broke down and got an Ipod Nano after getting back from Japan and feeling quite left out after seeing all the Japanese using them on the trains and whatnot. My friend went with me, and she has the 30 GIG black Ipod video..I think. I wouldn't really know, I never liked Apple. Anyway, she tryed to talk me into buying the same one she had for, what - $290 or something? I don't think so. So I went with the Green Ipod Nano, and bought a blue case. I regret the case, its total crap. I need to get a new one, eventually.

I only have maybe 30 songs on there, and they're all from CDs I already have and music my friend put on there for me. I don't know whether I'll waste the money for itunes, I don't use it that much as it is. When I walk/run in the park I don't want to listen to music, I like listening to nature.

I don't like spending so much money on electronics. Not that I don't love them, or have the money, but I try to save, so I always regret it after. My friend talked me into buying my current black DS back in March aswell. Of course I already wanted one, I just didn't want to spend the money. At the time I was saving for Japan.

She should seriously be a sales person.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Petie'][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]I have the 60 GB iPod Video, though I don't use the video feature really. At the time I got it, I had an iPod Mini but needed more space. There's really not much to say about the iPod that people don't already know.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Many people complain about it but I've yet to have a problem with the player itself and its features. I've seen plenty of technical problems but those can usually be solved for free with a call to Apple, assuming it's in warranty. Overall, it's a good MP3 player and that takes a lot for me to say considering it comes from Apple.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[B][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]Edit:[/COLOR][/FONT][/B]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=#0000ff]Clurr, I, like many others left mine with the default name of Petie's iPod. I never really gave it much thought beyond that. And I agree with you on the Nano - it seems too easy to break/lose and it's a lot of money for not much storage space. Oh, and I'm just shy of 5,000 songs on my own :)[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I think the main complaint is the fact that iTunes is only compatible with Apple music players. Other than that, I think the iPod Video is the way to go. Unfortunately, I no longer have an iPod. Or anything that plays digital music. It was part of a series. First, my GBA SP was stolen. Next, My 20 Gig iPod stopped working. and recently, I dropped my phone on a plane (a Sync, of all things.) The pockets of my pants are very shallow and Northwest Airlines doesn't do detailed searches of their planes. Therefore, I am displeased with the airliner AND my pants.

I know for a fact that the Nano is easy to lose, because one of my friends once found one lying along the side of the road. I don't even want to begin to fathom how one keeps track of a Shuffle.

I got an iPod Video, 30 GB version, recently. Seriously, I haven't used any space for video, because I need it for the music.

I used to have an old iPod Mini, I think. But my mother lent it out to someone while I was sleeping, and I never got it back.

He admitted a year later that he lost it. or broke it, I dunno.