OtakuBoards

What did you want to be when you grew up?

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]Okay in all fairness many of the members here are in school in one way or another. But the rest of us do have jobs that we at least don't mind waking up to do (even if the supervisors do need to visit a proctologist to get their head removed from their butts) So now after finding out that when he was growing up my boyfriend wanted to be a ghost buster I've decided to ask everyone else what they wanted to be. Starting with myself.

When I was little I never wanted to be a princess like most girls probably did (well the annoying ones) Nope, not me. At one point I wanted to be a lion trainer. I'd end up playing circus with a friend of mine and held up a hula hoop saying: Jump Through the hoop my lion. Don't ask why I remember such strange things I just do.

The more normal things I wanted to be include a writer (I do that now by doing fanfiction) and a doctor (the closest I got to that is being a home health aide.

So anyone else before I dredge up the really old but good thread topics?[/color][/font][/size]

I think you and chibi-master should recount how many threads the both of you have started since she joined (just a feeling that it's a pretty darn high number for both of you).

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][COLOR=#9933ff][FONT=monotype corsiva][SIZE=4] But the rest of us do have jobs that we at least don't mind waking up to do (even if the supervisors do need to visit a proctologist to get their head removed from their butts) [/SIZE][/FONT][/COLOR]
[FONT=Monotype Corsiva][SIZE=4][/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=4][FONT=monotype corsiva][COLOR=#9933ff] At one point I wanted to be a lion trainer. I'd end up playing circus with a friend of mine and held up a hula hoop saying: Jump Through the hoop my lion. [/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE][/quote]

Hey first off easy on the supervisor comments, most of us have worse insurance then those who work for us. So the proctologist is out of the question, plus the company only pays for proceedures it deems "necessary".

A lion trainer, just from your posts on here I have a feeling that would still be something you'd pursue if it didn't put to much strain on your family.

I actually wanted to be a Hero of some sorts. Normally, like most boys, I'd juggle playing Knight and damsel in distress with the neighbor girl, and playing soldiers with my cousins.

So I sort've went that route by enlisting, though the job I took keeps me from the 'frontlines' in any way...sort've.

As far as normal jobs, I've finally decided (at 24) that I'm going to take the path of a psychotherapist. The human mind intrigues me, and i think that's one of the reasons I love OB (otakuboards not the medical field).

[color=darkgreen][font=garamond]When I was growing up I wanted to be an architect. I find that odd. Does anyone else find that odd? I wanted to be an architect from when I was about five all the way up to mid high school, when I wanted to be a pharmacist, until I enrolled to do a bachelor of pharmacy at uni, then I suddenly didn't want to do anything so I worked for a while as a medical technician. Took me three years to decide I want to be a DOCTOR! Which I am going to be, or at least, I'll tell you once I've sat the GAMSAT in three weeks. :p[/font][/color]

Well, I ended up with a few of the job choices I wanted back as a kid rolled into one. (See occupation section in my profile.) I marked them with a star. :)

But, back when I was younger I really didn't know what I wanted to be. It actually wasn't until my mid to late teens that I had any job goals.

This would be the list I came up with.
[LIST]
[*]Contract Killer (Lol. I know.)
[*]Mechanic
[*]Air Hostess
[*]Police Officer
[*]Firefighter
[*]Writer/Novelist[B]*[/B]
[*]Art teacher
[*]Animator/Concept Artist/Designer[B]*[/B]
[*]Actress/Voice Actress[B]*[/B]
[*]Waitress (Wow, what a step down, eh? ;) )
[*]Nurse[/LIST]As you can see, I wasn't like most girls back when I was that age... *Rolls her eyes*

[size=1]Writer, author... eh, not sure what they call it nowadays.

And the funny thing is I still want to be one. So yep, I never did want anything else, and I honestly doubt I'm going to change my mind. It's the only thing I'm good at. I'd prefer to have no job and no money if it meant I couldn't work in an industry I'd enjoy, which would be writing.

Narrow-minded? Nah, just stubborn.[/size]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="1"]

Back in the single-digit years of sandboxes and Pokemon, I always wanted to write and illustrate comic books. I had my own series for a while, and it was admittedly pretty good for a nine year old.

But ever since I was in my pre-teens and discovered Neopets and editable Pet Pages, I was in love with web building. I downloaded my first trial of Jasc Paint Shop Pro and I've been a graphic/web designer ever since.

I'm halfway through my BA now, and I plan on continuing on to get my Masters Degree. I eventually want to own my own firm, but I've just been concentrating on some freelance work recently. Fun stuff.

[/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR="Indigo"]Hmmm.......

Besides the wanting to be a singer and an actress....At first I wanted to be a judge. i watched a lot of daytime television back then (judge hatchett was my favorite). Then I wanted to be vet, we were around a lot of animals then. At the moment I want to be a pediatrician and I feel as if that's my...destiny. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

I can remember a few things that I thought I wanted to do when I grew up. I had moments where I wanted to be a lawyer or a cop. When I was eight I started taking music lessons and by the time I hit twelve I decided that was what I wanted to do. I was going to either perform or teach music. My parents thought it was a phase I would grow out of, but I never did. =P

[size=1]I wanted to be King of OtakuBoards and 8 years later I'm still waiting.... :rolleyes:

But yes, when I was in the first grade I decided that I wanted to be a lawyer. I don't know how this came about specifically, but somehow I decided that smart people have to be one of those two things when they grew up. Blood has always grossed me out, so there was only one choice.

It also didn't help that Jessie from Saved by the Bell went into law school when they 'graduated' on the show. Thank goodness I didn't learn about 'Showgirls' until years later, or else I probably would have tried to become a dancer.

-Shy[/size]

I wanted to be a lot of stuff when I was a kid... I don't think "Ruler of the World" was in there yet... XD

I really wanted to be an Engineer, and it has been my choice along with my childhood friends and was also my choice before I entered college... Strangely, though, I choose to be an accountant at the last minute (or something like that...)... O_O

I still want to be an Engineer, even now... maybe a Civil Engineer or something... specially after I find that most of the companies (specially big ones) prefer females in the finance positions... =_=

I think I also wanted to be a dentist, and also a mangaka... a writer, a painter, a psychologist (not a psycho), a programmer, a video/computer game designer... I forgot the rest... :D

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Shy][size=1']I wanted to be King of OtakuBoards and 8 years later I'm still waiting.... [/size][/quote][SIZE="1"][I]*gives you one of those paper crowns you can get for parties* [/I]
[/SIZE]
There, just be a kind benevolent ruler or we'll revolt. ._.

Anyway, when I was little, I was going to travel to other worlds and be an explorer. Until I got old enough to realize space shows weren't real in any sense of the word. So then it became different things like teaching, driving, etc. It changes depending on what's around for work. =P [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Growing up a mostly wanted to be a doctor, interspersed briefly at different points to be an archaeologist, astronaut, lawyer, writer and an actor but mostly it just kept coming back to doctor and oddly something I still think about even these days.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]I wanted to be King of OtakuBoards and 8 years later I'm still waiting.... :rolleyes:[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]*Mutters something about him holding up the queue* [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"][FONT="Tahoma"]I've wanted to be a vet or work in a vet clinic for as long as I can remember. So I guess I'll find out if that desire sticks around once I get out of High School and head for college. =P [/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][I]As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be a gangster. To me, being a gangster was better than being the President of the United States...[/I]

Sorry, I got lost for a second there. My aspirations have gone through many changes over the years. When I was a kid, I went through the phases of wanting to be a policeman, or a fireman, or a racing driver, or a train driver, but I soon realised they were foolish ideas and I moved on to better(?) things. However, I've always had a slight problem in that I'm good at a lot of things, but I don't excel in any of them.

I used to draw all the time, and really enjoyed it, so obviously I wanted to be an artist. Then one of the other kids at school started showing me up in art lessons, turning out drawings and paintings that were much better than mine. My dream faded a little, but didn't die until secondary school art lessons sucked every last ounce of fun out of it.

For an extensive period of my early teens, I wanted to be an actor. I was good at drama, and thought that it was my calling. When I told my parents, they complained because it wasn't a very steady source of income, and the work was too unreliable, and that affected me somewhat. I'm not saying they made me forget the dream of being an actor, but they certainly didn't encourage me.

Then my friends and I formed a band and had reasonable local success, and I thought we were good enough to make it big. Two and a half years later, we split due to "creative differences" (also known as our guitarist being a dick) and that was another aspiration down the pan.

Currently, I have three main ideas of what I want to do with my life, none of them particularly stable. I still have the urge to be a musician, but my gut tells me that it's likely to be more for enjoyment than employment (hey, that rhymes! I have an idea for a song...). The second is to be a film journalist - I'm heading off to university to study Film and English in September, so that is looking a little more hopeful. The third, and perhaps the one which instils the most fire in my soul, is to be a stand-up comic. I'm trying as hard as I can to follow through on this one, spending my free time writing material and going to open mic nights, and I'm really hoping that something comes through for it. To be honest, it's the first of my aspirations I'm actually beginning to live up to, and it feels really good, so I'm hoping against hope that something good comes of it.

Sorry to pour my heart out over this one.
[/SIZE]

[color=#9933ff][size=4][font=monotype corsiva]Wow I totally forgot about this thread- whict as D'Rizz would love to point out is because I have a lot of threads now.

But anyways other things I wanted to be when I grew up:

[CENTER]An interior decorator. I even played that with a friend of mine. We'd pretend to have an office and lots of clients. It was so much more fun than Barbie

A cooking show host. Again I played this with the same friend. We kinda screwed up some Chicken Noodle soup and some chocolate chip cookies to play this game

News Reporter, sports reporter. This game happened a lot in the winter. Especially when my friend and I were pretending to cover the winter olympics- in my backyard while using microphones that were really part of my brother's Kinex set.

Artist. This was mostly a pre-school thing. I did lovely portraits of porcupines.

Veterinarian. This actually followed me to College but then I found out that the Equine Science program at SUNY Morrisville was really hard to get into so I settled for Conservation.

[/CENTER]

Yeah I was a bit out there.. there could be more later. I don't know.[/color][/size][/font]

When I was 8-10 I wanted to design video games. For some reason, I had it in my head that if I sold a game idea to Nintendo they would give me exactly 2 million dollars. I created a game that was a unique twist on Zelda which I plotted out in the form of a strategy guide, drew maps for, and drew every enemy for. Good times.

[quote name='2009DigitalBoy']When I was 8-10 I wanted to design video games. For some reason, I had it in my head that if I sold a game idea to Nintendo they would give me exactly 2 million dollars. I created a game that was a unique twist on Zelda which I plotted out in the form of a strategy guide, drew maps for, and drew every enemy for. Good times.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]My boyfriend is in school for that now. Turns out a decent video game designer can start out at about 20$ an hour and after they trust you you have a chance to make your own games instead of working on everyone elses.

But when he was growing up he wanted to be a ghost buster. :animesigh

So now what do I get to say? I went through a phase in kiindergarten when I wanted to be one of the Colour Kids from Rainbow Bright... oh! Thread Bunny! Anyways I went as Shy Violet one year for Halloween and no one had a bloody idea who I was and then I got in trouble for colouring on the walls. But oh well new dream.[/color][/font][/size]

[LIST]
[*]Astronaut
[*]Archaeologist
[*]Geologist
[*]Artist
[*]Web Designer
[*]Advertiser
[*]Writer
[*]Cook
[*]Massage Theropist
[*]Medical Coder
[*]Photographer
[/LIST]

Photography is what I decided to major in.

[quote name='Japan_86'][LIST]
[*]Geologist
[/LIST]
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Me too! But, then I realised that math is evil. I'm majoring in Geography, and there's still a lot of math in it!

Anyways, my list:
[LIST]
[*]Artist; Then I realised I cannot draw
[*]Fashion Designer; Sewing machines and other machines needed are too expensive. So are fabrics.
[*]Flight Attendent; I really, really wanted to become one! But, then I started to get motion sickness again...:animeswea
[*]Day Spa owner; This was in combination with me being a fashion designer:animestun
[*]Cosmotologist; I thought it'd be like playing dress up or something all day.
[*]Singer; I can sing, but not that well
[*]Chemist; I liked the thought of mixing chemicals that could explode. I was the kid that had to be reminded that Bill Nye said not to do his experiments at home. My mom was always afraid that I'd burn down the house.
[/LIST][/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='celestialcharm'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Book Antiqua"]Me too! But, then I realised that math is evil. I'm majoring in Geography, and there's still a lot of math in it!

Anyways, my list:
[LIST]
[*]Artist; Then I realised I cannot draw
[*]Fashion Designer; Sewing machines and other machines needed are too expensive. So are fabrics.
[*]Flight Attendent; I really, really wanted to become one! But, then I started to get motion sickness again...:animeswea
[*]Day Spa owner; This was in combination with me being a fashion designer:animestun
[*]Cosmotologist; I thought it'd be like playing dress up or something all day.
[*]Singer; I can sing, but not that well
[*]Chemist; I liked the thought of mixing chemicals that could explode. I was the kid that had to be reminded that Bill Nye said not to do his experiments at home. My mom was always afraid that I'd burn down the house.
[/LIST][/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I remember Bill Nye! He was awesome. Did you ever manage to blow anything up?

[SIZE="1"]Theres a lot I wanted to be when I was younger, some I still want to do.

- Veterinarian
- Archaeologist: or preferably Egyptologist. I've been fascinated with Egypt for so long.
- Artist, comics or manga.
- Soilder
- Writer
- Martial arts instructor
- Stunt double

The Vet idea was shot out the window when I thought of the fact that I would have to see sick and injured animals.

An Egyptologist I would still love to do, but I researched it and thats [B]alot[/B] of schooling.

I could still do art. I've wanted to do this since I was little, and became serious about it in high school. But I don't know if I would be able to support myself with it.

I almost joined the Air Force twice, and I still may but I'm still unsure.

Martial arts instructor(Taekwondo) is a possibility. My TKD instructor wants me too, and I love doing it. I've been teaching a lot more since I got my black belt, but you still need so many hours of teaching(lots of experience) to become a Jokyonim(assistant instructor). I should have second degree but september, but its still a long road.[/SIZE]