OtakuBoards

The Nexus: Opinions

Baron Samedi

[size=1]I'm aware that the new sub-forum [b]The Nexus[/b] will probably be opening soon, but I wondered what the general public thought it could be about, judging from it's title.

So, go for it. I'm not really too sure what it could possibly be. Any suggestions?[/size]

If I'm not mistaken, "Nexus" is a type of gathering place. I think. It's early and I haven't slept, so I may be wrong, but isn't it a convergence of some type?

I would guess "The Nexus" being placed in the gaming forum is going to turn out to be some type of convergence related to gaming. Maybe for the gamers themselves on OB.

In Guild Wars, there's an OB-centric guild, Quantum Kabuki Troupe, so...maybe Nexus will be something for OB-centric guilds/clans/groups to mingle and converse?

There are loads of online games OBers play, I think (Literati, what?), so it'd make sense to have something like The Nexus, if my guess is correct.

[QUOTE=Siren]If I'm not mistaken, "Nexus" is a type of gathering place. I think. It's early and I haven't slept, so I may be wrong, but isn't it a convergence of some type?

I would guess "The Nexus" being placed in the gaming forum is going to turn out to be some type of convergence related to gaming. Maybe for the gamers themselves on OB.

In Guild Wars, there's an OB-centric guild, Quantum Kabuki Troupe, so...maybe Nexus will be something for OB-centric guilds/clans/groups to mingle and converse?

There are loads of online games OBers play, I think (Literati, what?), so it'd make sense to have something like The Nexus, if my guess is correct.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]
[b]Nexus[/b]
1. A means of connection; a link or tie.
2. A connected series or group.
3. The core or center.
[/QUOTE][SIZE=1]If I guess correctly, Siren should be right on the dot. I too play Guild Wars, and I think it would be interesting to see a place where you could meet others who play MMORPGS. I've seen this happen with many forums however, maybe a guild for each mmorpg that is out there? Honestly, I think that would be a great idea. Maybe a way to advertise your own guild etc. would also be an option as many here play World of Warcraft or Everquest 2. Maybe it could also be a place to post in-game events or items for sell or trade. That is my best guess. Otherwise, I'm at a loss.
[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.

Alex sounds as if he's right on the money with this one, though until The Nexus actually opens we won't know for sure. If it does deal with MMORPGS or other Online Games specifically then it could be a breath of fresh air for those who start online gaming but then quit after a while because they know nobody and aren?t having a good time. The idea that we could nearly have our choice of clans to join is a very exciting prospect, and one that makes me want to get broadband all the sooner, though with SOE after turning SW: Galaxies into a clone of any other online RPG I?m probably going to stick with Guild Wars.[/SIZE]

This is sort've off the wall, and probably really belongs someplace else. But since Siren probably figured that out pretty quick. What exactally would be accomplished by a bunch of "gaming clans?" that couldnt already be discussed in one of the other forums? I guess it could be b/c I haven't played (though after I get my new comp I plan on checking out Guild Wars). Just curious to whether or not someone could enlighten me in that aspect.

[SIZE=1]In a conversation with James last night, I got the 'inside scoop.' Siren, you're right on the money. Good job.

[FONT=System][23:10:00 PM] Retri: The Nexus?
[23:11:06 PM] James: Mhm
[23:11:12 PM] James: It's a new feature I'll be adding soon
[23:11:43 PM] Retri: I hope it's fun to use. ^_^
[23:12:00 PM] James: It will be something pretty different, it's a bit of an experiment.
[23:12:38 PM] Retri: Hm... I like the sound of that.
[23:14:19 PM] James: I doubt many people will use it, it's centered around the idea of gaming clans/groups
[23:14:27 PM] James: But it'd certainly be nice if it exploded
[23:15:00 PM] Retri: Hm... so it might be a place where people get together clans/groups, talk about them, recruit, and set up affairs?
[23:15:15 PM] James: Sort of, yeah. I'm going to be quite generous with it
[23:15:25 PM] James: Clans can apply to become OB-certified
[23:15:33 PM] James: If they succeed, they get their own forum for just their clan
[23:15:37 PM] James: Within The Nexus.
[23:16:29 PM] Retri: Hm... Sounds like it has the potential to either madly grow out of proportion, with a whole lot of sub-forums, or just die, and leave behind alot of inactive sub-forums.
[23:17:00 PM] James: *nods*
[23:17:04 PM] James: Hopefully a happy medium, haha
[23:17:15 PM] Retri: Yes, hopefully.
[23:17:23 PM] Retri: I hope it'll draw more people to the boards.
[23:17:30 PM] James: Yeah, that'd be nice
[23:17:35 PM] James: It will have some rules but only basic ones
[23:17:36 PM] James: Very basic
[23:17:39 PM] James: Very easy to fulfill[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Lord Dante']I'm a complete and utter newbie to online gaming, so could someone please tell me what an MMORPG and a "clan" is?[/quote][SIZE=1]
An MMORPG is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. It means people can walk around inside a virtual world and see other users online doing the same. Very cool stuff.

A clan is usually an organization within an MMORPG for protection and benefits. You have a clan to help you out in the game for leveling up, going on quests, getting items, and having a group of friends to hang with.

Hoped that helped.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#F84E20][SIZE=1]Awesome, this coincides with my getting Guild Wars...which should be happening tomorrow. I need to talk to Annie and possibly James more about that, though, if either of you are free to give me some pointers for the game. ^_^

I really like this idea as it's something original and unique (at least, I haven't seen it anywhere else). It will offer a good collecting point for members of the Board who maybe aren't as well known, who play the same games as the more experienced or better respected members, such as James, Annie and Des.

Conclusion: Top notch stuff. ^_~[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Retribution][SIZE=1]
An MMORPG is a Massive Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game. It means people can walk around inside a virtual world and see other users online doing the same. Very cool stuff.

A clan is usually an organization within an MMORPG for protection and benefits. You have a clan to help you out in the game for leveling up, going on quests, getting items, and having a group of friends to hang with.

Hoped that helped.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Ok, that helped. First of all, how do MMORPG's work, and can you suggest some?

MMORPGs can be quite complicated. I suggest you start with Guild Wars. Most of OtakuBoards plays Guild Wars. If you want to get it, though, your computer has to have a decent graphics card. If you buy Guild Wars, it should come with instructions.

I also have a question. Okay, I need to know if I can playGuild Wars, but I can't figure out the friggin specs of my computer. There are a few games I know I'm able to play, like Alice and Neverwinter Nights, but i don't know if they're anywhere near Guild Wars.

Well, hopefully it being there will encourage more online gaming related posts (if that's what this is), because currently there really isn't much discussion about any of it outside of Guild Wars. Even the WoW thread mostly consisted of "what server are you on?" and posts from people who hadn't gotten the game yet.

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=ThoraxtheImpaler]MMORPGs can be quite complicated. I suggest you start with Guild Wars. Most of OtakuBoards plays Guild Wars. If you want to get it, though, your computer has to have a decent graphics card. If you buy Guild Wars, it should come with instructions.

I also have a question. Okay, I need to know if I can playGuild Wars, but I can't figure out the friggin specs of my computer. There are a few games I know I'm able to play, like Alice and Neverwinter Nights, but i don't know if they're anywhere near Guild Wars.[/QUOTE]
What, you recommended GuildWars without ever actually playing it? That's pretty bloody weak, you speak so highly of a game you've never played. Even if the game is getting good reviews and stuff from game sites and mags, and all your friends say it's great, you should at least make your own opinion on a game before you start singing it's praises.

On another note, the process of figuring out the name of The Nexus was amusing. lol James was very paranoid about taking a name that was used by a film... both 'The Grid' and 'The Cell' were turned down cause there was movie ties, lol. But then I copied and pasted a whole bunch of words from thesaurus.com, he picked Nexus out of it, and the rest is (or will be) history.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I'll probably make an announcement about this feature once I've finished fixing up a few bits and pieces on the site. So this is a good reminder to pay attention to site-wide announcements. ~_^

People will have the opportunity to get involved with this new forum before it even opens, so hopefully that will give me an early indication of who might be interested. But yes, the forum's purpose is not really a secret - it's a forum for online gaming communities. However, it is not a regular discussion forum. Gaming clans/groups can go through a simple application process to acquire their own personal sub-forum within The Nexus. This should be useful for start-up clans and groups who don't have the resources to build their own forum. The application process will be very simple and easy, so it shouldn't deter anyone.[/font]

[QUOTE=ThoraxtheImpaler]
I also have a question. Okay, I need to know if I can playGuild Wars, but I can't figure out the friggin specs of my computer. There are a few games I know I'm able to play, like Alice and Neverwinter Nights, but i don't know if they're anywhere near Guild Wars.[/QUOTE]

[size=1]I believe you've already asked this question before in the Guild Wars thread. I remember a bunch of us trying to explain what you should probably do, but obviously, you didn't pick up on it. You might find your answer if you go back and read through that thread.

This Nexus idea sounds like it'll be exciting. I only play Guild Wars, but it'd be nice to see discussions about other MMORPGs and perhaps think about playing those someday. [/size]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]I'll probably make an announcement about this feature once I've finished fixing up a few bits and pieces on the site. So this is a good reminder to pay attention to site-wide announcements. ~_^

People will have the opportunity to get involved with this new forum before it even opens, so hopefully that will give me an early indication of who might be interested. But yes, the forum's purpose is not really a secret - it's a forum for online gaming communities. However, it is not a regular discussion forum. Gaming clans/groups can go through a simple application process to acquire their own personal sub-forum within The Nexus. This should be useful for start-up clans and groups who don't have the resources to build their own forum. The application process will be very simple and easy, so it shouldn't deter anyone.[/font][/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm assuming QKT will have its own forum then too? I really think that would help to gather up members for upcoming Guild Battles or other guild wide events. Either way, this new forum already sounds like a great idea.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Docbatman']I've heard the word before and I think that it's a flashy word for a board but does it remind anyone else of star trek?[/quote]
Yep. That's the first thing I thought of when I saw the name, actually. I'm not much of a Star Trek fan myself, but I did enjoy that movie; it was really rather well done. Anyway, if you want to learn more about OB's Nexus (besides what it's called), browsing through some of the later posts in this thread might help. ;)

~Dagger~

[quote name='Docbatman']nexus huh? Sound's interesting considering all i have so far is it's name. I've heard the word before and I think that it's a flashy word for a board but does it remind anyone else of star trek?[/quote]

[SIZE=1]That was the first that hit me when I saw the forum, which proves my love of Star Trek has some use in the outside world. The movie itself was alright, though I didn't particularly like the way they messed around with Data's character. I'm wondering if the Moderator for The Nexus will have to change their username to Guinan or Soran, or one of the others who at one stage resided in the Nexus ? [/SIZE]