OtakuBoards

Naruto Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Ryo the Tactician

[color=darkred][size=1]

Maybe I was wrong about the Sharingan-malarky that I expected in the Sasuke-Itachi fight. Regardless, I have a question... do the characters in Naruto really have such vulgar speech with all the f-bombs and shizzles dropped thus far, or is that just the online-translators spicing things up themselves?[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

Maybe I was wrong about the Sharingan-malarky that I expected in the Sasuke-Itachi fight. Regardless, I have a question... do the characters in Naruto really have such vulgar speech with all the f-bombs and shizzles dropped thus far, or is that just the online-translators spicing things up themselves?[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

My guess is the translators. You have to remember, Shounen is usually targeted for the 12-18 range, so, by American standards at least, curses would not be used as frequently as we have seen. But, since those who read it online are, by my guess, 16 and higher, I'd say that translators put in the swears to make Naruto sound/look cooler.

But I have to say, that line worked. At least for me - I felt that line fit Sasuke alot.

[SIZE="1"]There's a translated version of the most recent chapter ? All I've seen is raws with the translation after it.

From what I've read, Kishi has said that the Itachi/Sasuke fight is going to last through January, so I wouldn't call the fight complete by a long shot yet. Remember, Sasuke is dealing with the master of genjutsu himself, I wouldn't be at all surprised if all we've see so far is just a genjutsu that Itachi has cast.[/SIZE]

Binktopia take liberties with translations. They usually succeed in keeping the general gist of the Japanese, but their translations are by no means an accurate reflection of the original text.

And come on guys, you actually think the fight's over? How many layers of genjutsu do you think we're going to have to go through before the real Sasuke and real Itachi actually set eyes on each other? It was a great chapter - I'm a big fan of speechless action when it's drawn that well, and Sasuke undoubtedly got one up on Itachi, but there's no way Itachi, who always thinks six sneaky genjutsu moves ahead, is going down just from that. If nothing else, Sasuke's made a schoolboy error by leaving him alive enough to answer whatever this question is (my money's on "why did you really kill my whole clan"). If he's asking, he obviously didn't go straight for the vitals, but he's talking like he's won already, which I'm sure next chapter will show to be a mistake. It's possible that is Itachi's real body in the chair, in which case Sasuke should have gone straight for a killing blow; it's possible it's not really him. Either way, Itachi has more up his sleeve yet.

[color=darkblue][size=1]I never said I thought the fight was over, lol. I was just commenting on how crazy it's been so far. Like you (and most people who've read this far into the series), there's no way the fight between Uchihas can end so quickly: it's just not possible.

However, since Jump has gone into its New Year's hiatus, we'll have to wait a bit longer to see what Itachi's going to pull next.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Kei'][color=darkblue][size=1]However, since Jump has gone into its New Year's hiatus, we'll have to wait a bit longer to see what Itachi's going to pull next.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, although we'll be waiting another two weeks or so for the translations, I really can't wait to see what's coming next. I'm quite curious about the question Sasuke is so desperate to ask his brother, as really he's leaving himself very open in not going for the kill.[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]So, a new chapter has been released (Took em long enough). Nothing really happening outside of what Zen said it would be. Genjutsu vs Genjutsu. This is probably one of those fights that has to be seen in motion to get a full enjoyment out of it.

For a brief moment though, I thought they were going to show another long flashback dealing with Sasuke and Itachi. And the way I'm feeling about this series as a whole, I can't put up with another one. (I've already ditched the anime.)[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Well now, seems Kishi is finally getting the pace moving again. We got quite a few surprises this week. As much as I actually want the fight to continue, I'd also like to see Itachi to reveal a few more secrets of his. I imagine even him telling Sasuke about Madara might be a bit of a no-no as far as the other Akatsuki members are concerned.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Yeah, I seriously doubt Madara wanted Itachi putting him on Sasuke's "to-kill" list. Also, good guess, Gavin. This fight has been nothing but genjutsu. Which, kinda pisses me off, because I hate fights with genjutsu users. Mainly because I never know wtf is going on. I mean really, think about it, let's say you see somebody stab somebody else in the back with their sword. Their dead, right? Nope. Just some genjutsu user giving you a brain****. >.<;[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Andy'][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"]Yeah, I seriously doubt Madara wanted Itachi putting him on Sasuke's "to-kill" list. Also, good guess, Gavin. This fight has been nothing but genjutsu. Which, kinda pisses me off, because I hate fights with genjutsu users. Mainly because I never know wtf is going on. I mean really, think about it, let's say you see somebody stab somebody else in the back with their sword. Their dead, right? Nope. Just some genjutsu user giving you a brain****. >.<;[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I actually laughed when Sasuke said he was going to kill Madara after Itachi. Whatever chance his has against his terminal-sighted brother, he hasn't a hope against their clan founder, I mean even Itachi, whom we all assumed fully mastered the Sharingan admits that Madara discovered a secret he didn't know. Sasuke is severely over-estimating himself (again) in thinking he can beat Madara.

And yeah, genjutsu fights suck, and genjutsu users suck even more.[/SIZE]

To be honest, I don't think Madara cares whether Itachi tells Sasuke anything. At the very least, he had to know Sasuke would continue to hunt Itachi after the first botched attempt to kidnap Naruto. He probably knew Sasuke would find out about him eventually.

Maybe some of the other Akatsuki would be like, "wtf Itachi??" but it probably doesn't make any difference to Madara. As Gavin wrote, what the hell is Sasuke going to do to Madara?

Also, I wonder how many other Akatsuki know that Tobi is actually Madara. We know Pein, Konan, and Itachi are aware of it (or at the very least, Pein and Konan are aware of how powerful he is), and also that likely all of them aren't aware of it because I doubt Deidara would have been treating Tobi like **** had he known his true identity (or maybe he would have since he hated the Uchiha so much :p).

And, yeah, thirded on the genjutsu fights = suck comments. Genjutsu is really cool in theory, but it doesn't make for exciting fights lol.

[quote name='Shinmaru']Genjutsu is really cool in theory, but it doesn't make for exciting fights lol.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Too true, I actually kinda feel sorry for Zetsu, even if all he seems to do is watch fights, this one is definitely going to be the most boring for him. Hopefully we might get a look at the Suigestsu/Kisame fight, but then again I already think that's going to be a bit of a walkover for the demon shark.[/SIZE]

Chapter 386 so much info yet still not enough I need more. I never saw it coming can truly be said. To see that Madara[spoiler] founded the leaf just blows my mind. Though that doesn't even compare to the reason that Itachi kept Sasuke alive all this time very interesting now get on to their fight all ready! Hopefully we get some Madara flash backs for a few issues somewhere down the road and see how it all went down as this needs to be expanded upon.[/spoiler]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"]Two things.

1 - The psychotic look don't suit Itachi at all. Though it was only genjutsu, and I'm so use to his calm demeanor, I don't think they should've gave him such a look.

2 - Itachi went from being one of the greatest characters in Naruto, to almost one of the lamest. More than likely it's just me, but his whole reasoning to leaving Sasuke alive was lame--just for his eyes, you can't get any lamer than that. (Orochimaru tried. Don't need to see it again with Itachi. >_>)

That tidbits of information about Madara was interesting. Minus the whole eyes stealing

Minus the lameness, it was interesting chapter, but like Ben Holiday, I just want the fight.[/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]I really can't agree enough with what Tomb has posted above me. The whole "secret" of the Uchiha clan has turned them from one of the most interesting to one of the lamest in literally a chapter. We've seen the eye-stealing thing, and it didn't work, also, Itachi has just lost the one aspect of himself that made him unkillable: his reasons for killing the clan and leaving Sasuke alive. As much as I liked him as a character, I'm not going to be bothered if he dies now.

On a side note, it was fun to get a little more Konoha history, hopefully we might get a little more.[/SIZE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]Memphis and Ben, you guys don't have to use spoiler tags. There's a warning about it, so those that come in should expect the series to be talked about openly and fully. Just FYI.

Anyway, I must say that I was really taken by surprise with this chapter. I remember before when someone mentioned that Madara was actually one of the founding fathers of the Leaf, but I had no idea that he was the one that orginally approached the First and started the whole thing. It leaves me to wonder how much the higher ups know about how bloodstained their history really is, considering Madara into things.

Secondly, I'm not sure I entirely agree to the fact that the Uchiha clan is "lame" now that the full truth behind the Sharingan has been revealed. I mean, yes, it is pretty cruel and outrageous to have to kill your own kin just to complete a technique, but this adds a whole new level to the Uchiha. We knew that they were one of the strongest clans prior to this, but you have to wonder how this has affected them on a mental level (Itachi's "true self," as he called it, is a testament to what I'm saying here). It presents somewhat of an open field to what sort of mental anguish and suchlike that they've gone through generation after generation. I personally find it fascinating, but apparently, that's just me.

I personally will still have a problem if Itachi dies, simply because I want to know more about his spiral into madness. I suppose that's the analytical manga reader in me, but I still like him as a character. :/

As far as the fight goes, I'm also a bit anxious about it. I'm sure it'll end up ranking high on the list of awesome series fights (maybe even as great as Rock Lee vs. Gaara), but we'll just have to wait and see when it comes around.[/color][/size]

No, it's not just you. I think it's interesting. It adds a horrible level of cruelty to the Uchiha clan - Itachi implied heavily that the aim of each Uchiha is to acquire the same power as Madara. I'm not sure why Itachi is going to go after Sasuke now, though. Unless Sasuke has been hiding it, he doesn't have the Mangekyo Sharingan, which means there's no real point to Itachi stealing his eyes right now. That is, unless there's some possibility Itachi can steal Sasuke's eyes and develop the Mangekyo Sharingan again on his own. But if he could do that, then why didn't he just steal Sasuke's eyes when he slaughtered his clan?

This also makes me think more about the effects of transplanting the eyes - more specifically, how it would affect Kakashi. Are the Uchiha's transplant powers specific to the Uchiha clan or can they possibly be replicated (even in a limited way) by non-Uchiha? Then again, this could be a useless thought since Kakashi replaced a regular eye rather than an Uchiha eye. Hm.

[quote name='Shinmaru']This also makes me think more about the effects of transplanting the eyes - more specifically, how it would affect Kakashi. Are the Uchiha's transplant powers specific to the Uchiha clan or can they possibly be replicated (even in a limited way) by non-Uchiha? Then again, this could be useless thought since Kakashi replaced a regular eye rather than an Uchiha eye. Hm.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]It's a bit of both I'd say Mike, while Kakashi may not go blind from using his Mangekyou eye, he's also limited by the fact that he's not an Uchiha and thus his body doesn't perform as well with the Sharingan as it would were he one. Hence his repeated hospitalisations after he uses his eye in combat.

Reading back over the chapter, and allowing the initial shock of it to subside, I have to admit, it's growing on me, in a sort of fascinatingly morbid way. We've always known the Uchiha were a fairly screwed up clan but this takes that to a completely new level.

I still don't like the shift in Itachi's personality, simply because it seems so out-of-character for the normally emotionally-detached Uchiha. I think the same effect could have been achieved, to perhaps a more effective degree, without the need for his "light" ravings.

As for whether or not Sasuke has the Mangekyou, perhaps it's a "now or never" sort of situation. Itachi knows his sight is getting steadily worse, perhaps he's worried if he waits until Sasuke achieves his Mangekyou, he'll no longer be able to overpower him. Better to get two normal eyes that can go Mangekyou as opposed to losing your own two, something which I suspect is going to happen by the end of the fight.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Shinmaru']I'm not sure why Itachi is going to go after Sasuke now, though. Unless Sasuke has been hiding it, he doesn't have the Mangekyo Sharingan, which means there's no real point to Itachi stealing his eyes right now. That is, unless there's some possibility Itachi can steal Sasuke's eyes and develop the Mangekyo Sharingan again on his own. But if he could do that, then why didn't he just steal Sasuke's eyes when he slaughtered his clan? [/QUOTE]

If Sasuke, as an Uchiha, truly has to kill his best friend to attain mangekyou, then no, of course he doesn't have it yet. How could he? But if Kakashi's attaining a form of mangekyou has set a precedent, then perhaps Sasuke does have some form of elevated eye technique that we haven't seen yet. Whatever Itachi is thinking, he believes that taking Sasuke's eyes [I]now[/I] will have his desired results.

As for why he didn't take them back when he and Madara slaughtered his clan, well, Sasuke hadn't even activated his sharingan yet. He had another five years of growth before that happened. For all Itachi knew, perhaps Sasuke never would. It would be a real bummer, but you never know. Either way, Sasuke's not having sharingan at that point in time is what I believe kept Itachi from taking them then.

But, that brings us right back to Sasuke not having mangekyou right now. Itachi didn't take his eyes back then. There was a reason. If simply taking the eyes of anyone who has the sharingan would be enough to keep mangekyou and not go blind, Itachi could have taken his father's eyes. Which brings us back to Itachi knowing from his interaction with Madara that it had to be Sasuke. Why? Could we be overthinking this? Could it be Itachi's clue that it was Madara's [I]younger brother[/I] that ended up donating his eyes that answers this for us? Do the sharingan users merely need to be siblings for this transplant to work? I mean, surely Itachi didn't make a grave oversight and really believes Sasuke has achieved mangekyou. He must be aware that Sasuke isn't at that level. And yet, he is still confronting him.

Aarrgghh!! We just need Kishimoto to come out and tell us. All this speculation is getting me nowhere.

[SIZE="1"]You may have a point there Twisted, if the manga has been accurately translated into English, I believe Itachi did say that the Uchiha killed their friends to get the Mangekyou Sharingan, and then killed their brothers to keep it. Now whether or not he meant brothers in a very literal sense as opposed to a general comrade sense is something we don't know for the moment.[/SIZE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]So. 'Bout that Uchiha fight.

Obviously, either one of two things happened: Itachi got Sasuke or vice-versa. There could also be the off chance that someone else came in unexpectedly, since with Kishimoto, you never really know what's going to turn up next. ¬_¬

I suppose it's the sign of a good writer, but damn if it isn't annoying sometimes.

Anyway, the logical portion of my brain is telling me that Itachi managed to get him, what with the evidence we saw briefly presented prior to the whole assumed eye-jacking. However, the irrational Kisihi sector of my brain is telling me that considering the fact that Sasuke's pretty much on the cusp of becoming a genjutsu master, I wouldn't be surprised if that's not the true case.

I suppose it will have to pan out next week somehow, though I'm really wondering how crazy the resolution is going to turn out.

(By the way, did anyone else get the sound of King of Fighter's Kim going "ATATATATAH!" during the shuriken battle in their heads, or was that just me?)[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"]You're there Kei, this is definitely one of those fights where we can't really be sure what's going on. God damn Uchiha and their genjutsu.

Logically it does seem that Itachi is going to get his "light", and this time he at least had the decency to apologise beforehand. Heh, not that it makes it better, but it something at least.[/SIZE]

Sasuke could and perhaps has lost [I]an[/I] eye, but not both. Kishimoto wouldn't strip his favorite character like that.

But, really, this fight is the cheapest thing a mangaka can do - have a conflict where he can portray absolutely anything happening but can then just pull back and say "Got ya!" as we realize it was genjutsu. It's the old "this entire series was a dream" stunt. It's great for allowing you to put in any crazy thing you can conceive, but gets annoying to the reader. I'm to the point where I can't think of a way for Kishi to actually kill one of them off and I'll believe it. Even if someone else shows up and witnesses it all, that person could also be under genjutsu.

Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying the interchange. Itachi is definitely being portrayed as absurdly powerful. And Sasuke has some freaky Orochimaru-esque moves. But ending this scene in a satisfying manner will be hard to pull off. If Itachi dies, I will be disappointed, because then Sasuke will have lost a part of his humanity that Naruto would never be able to regain. That would crush Naruto, and we can't have that. [I]Someone else[/I] needs to kill Itachi. And we know Sasuke won't die. He and Naruto have to go at it again. Zetsu will have to come into play somehow. Exactly how hasn't even been hinted at, though. And then we have the whole Madara-facing-off-against-the-others thing. Will we learn something from Madara about Itachi's situation or what? I just have no patience, I guess.

Toodles for now.

[quote name='TwistedChick']Sasuke could and perhaps has lost [I]an[/I] eye, but not both. Kishimoto wouldn't strip his favorite character like that. [/quote]

[SIZE="1"]While I get the feeling it could happen TC, it'd actually be really lame if Kishi did it because we'd end up with a situation where the three major established Sharingan users would all only have the one eye i.e. Kakashi, Sasuke and Itachi (him being blind in the other). Same for Tobi, as until the mask comes off, I'm not convinced the body is actually Madara's original as not Obito's, hence the cycloptic nature of his Sharingan.

Besides, Sasuke isn't cool enough to pull off an eye-patch or large scar. That requires a badassness he will never possess. Neji perhaps, but not Sasuke.[/SIZE]

[quote name='TwistedChick']Don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying the interchange. Itachi is definitely being portrayed as absurdly powerful. And Sasuke has some freaky Orochimaru-esque moves.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]That's one of the things that's disappointed me the most about this fight so far, that Sasuke is using none of his own original moves, they're all variants of moves he knew already i.e. Chidori from Kakashi and the snake-jutsu from Orochimaru.

I really expected after two and a half years he'd display something new in this fight, I mean we saw stuff from Jiraiya nobody ever even dreamed of, and yet Sasuke for being a genius is just spamming the same moves he's always used. It's a little lame, I want to see something that shows his treason was worth it.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#503f86]I don't know, I think it's feasible that Sasuke could lose both eyes and still be powerful enough to continue. Then maybe we find out that the Sharingan comes from within. Mmm, you can smell the corn.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]Or perhaps this is where Orochimaru returns from inside Sasuke? He's still there, don't forget.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#503f86]I don't know where Kishi could take Itachi's story if he succeeds though. Like you said, Gavin, it'd be boring if all of the Sharingan users between them all had one working eye.[/COLOR]