OtakuBoards

Naruto Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Ryo the Tactician

[quote name='Rurouni922']Last I checked, Itachi still wasn't fully blind, I believe there's a spot in 391 that shows his vision. But yes, this chapter was interesting. And as Gavin said 'welcome back the Itachi we knew.' I just hope he still wins this fight like he should have all along.[/QUOTE]

Though Kishi hasn't straight up stated that Itachi has just gone blind, I think the detail in which Itachi says "I know this [B]feeling[/B]...Orochimaru's hydra technique" is to point out that he can't [B][I]see[/I][/B] his technique, he can only [B][I]sense[/I][/B] it. At least that's what I took away from it.

The whole Orochimaru thing, though being uber anti-climactic, eases my mind a bit. It shows that, no, Sasuke was [I]not[/I] powerful enough to kill him. Thank goodness.

And thank God Itachi seems to have the upper-hand again. I guess it hadn't really been stated that he was low on chakra, so this was the gradual progression that Itachi had foreseen before entering this battle. It could be he knew that using all three of the mangekyou's abilities would render his eyes useless. Perhaps that's why he was such a panty-waist earlier on. He was trying [I]not[/I] to escalate things. At least that way his apparent weakness wouldn't actually have been such.

Still, when it comes down to winning, Sasuke will have to escape with his life, either through sheer luck, some last ditch effort he's been saving for this, or by having his newly formed team burst in. Heck, it would be interesting if all this time, someone else from Konoha has been nearby and [I]they[/I] jump in.

Or, Kishi could screw us all and Sasuke will still kill Itachi.

[quote name='TwistedChick']Or, Kishi could screw us all and Sasuke will still kill Itachi.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]That's still a definite possibility unfortunately. I have an awful feeling, chakra-depletion or not, if Itachi tries to go for his brother's eyes again, which is what's apparently going to happen in the next chapter, that Sasuke will find some way, like stabbing a pointy rock into his heart to win the fight.[/SIZE]

[quote name='TwistedChick']Could we make that Kishi's heart maybe? At least his figurative one? Just an idea...

I still have faith in you, Kishimoto, though at this point, it's blind.[/QUOTE]

Totally agreed, I hope he doesn't mess the ending of this fight up. But yes, I'm still seeing somehow Sasuke will win. Sigh.

Ho hum. Bo~oring. Sasuke's not cool enough to pull off the uber-powerful-inner-demon thing (cough*copyingBleach*cough). And the [strike]super-cheating sword of Genjutsu[/strike] sword of Totsuka? Where the heck did that come from? If Orochimaru's been searching for it all these centuries or whatever, how come it's never been mentioned before? Using Zetsu to explain it is an incredibly lazy narrative device that's been used far too much in this fight.

[quote name='Raiyuu']Where the heck did that come from? If Orochimaru's been searching for it all these centuries or whatever, how come it's never been mentioned before?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Because Kishi needed a quick way of re-establishing Itachi's eliteness that has been so badly squandered by this fight. Welcome back plot-hole no jutsu. Besides, Orochimaru having two legendary swords and that "Hydra mode" of his would be just incredibly lame, the sort of power-up Sasuke will probably get and we'll be forced to accept at some stage in the future.

Wonder what alternate mode Tsunade is hiding ?[/SIZE]

GRAAAAAAAHHH!!!! I am so annnoyed! Now, Sasuke has become Lord Chicken-Butt-Hair, king of chakra outage immunity! Why can't he and Itachi finish each other off already and make the world happy?! That's it! PERFECT! They should both die! Of course this will never happen.(Kishimoto.....GRRRR!) I'm sorry for the weirdness...I'm just super agrivated.

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Wonder what alternate mode Tsunade is hiding ?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

What I'm wondering is how they're going to kill her off. Who will be the one to do it? It seems like the next step in establishing the Sannin-arata is to wipe the originals off the face of the earth, so how is Tsunade "going down"? If she has an alternate form, which having seen both Jiraiya and Orochi have one definitely hints at, I'm sure she'd reveal it in that final battle of hers. As for what it would be, she'd morph into a big slug-ball? or could shoot acid? No, no, no, I've got it. She'd become a hermaphrodite. There you go. I mean, we all knew she was pretty butch, so it'd make sense, right? Though, what advantage that would give her...

Yet again, Kishimoto is being both predictable *and* unpredictable (what with his making Sasuke lord of everything and his..well, [I]making Sasuke lord of everthing[/I]), so maybe she won't die. Though personally, I'd like to see her bumped off, if for nothing other than selfish reasons (who'd they say would be the logical next candidate for Hokage, and an 'obvious one' at that? hm?), so maybe I'm being biased. I like her as a character, just not as Hokage (step aside, woman).

Anyone else see her dying? hm?

[quote name='TwistedChick']Anyone else see her dying? hm?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]For me, it's a case of when rather than if. I've never really been fond of Tsunade as a character for no real reason, there's just something about her that generates indifferences.

Plus, when Lady Slug dies, Kakashi will probably become Hokage, either him or Gai, which would be only too funny. *Imagines Hokage-Style Dynamic Entry* ^_^[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#503F86]Well, it's been established that she's masking her appearance to look younger, so I imagine we'll see her real face before she does die (probably [i]just[/i] before). Once Jiraiya's death becomes widely known I can see her going after Akatsuki, or waiting for Akatsuki to attack Konoha and then taking on Pein/Konan directly herself. She might take another one of his bodies before she goes, leaving Naruto to fight the other four. Sound realistic?

Or, we could go with the 'Sasuke kills everything' idea, where throughout this next year's arc he fights and kills every major villain one by one, becoming more and more of a Mary-Sue and Deus ex Machina every time.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Plus, when Lady Slug dies, Kakashi will probably become Hokage, either him or Gai, which would be only too funny. *Imagines Hokage-Style Dynamic Entry* ^_^[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Gai as Hokage would be the end of the world. Just like if Mustang ever became president with the whole mini-skirt thing, Gai would have everyone begrudgingly running around in green spandex. I think the Hyuugas might commit seppuku.

Kakashi all the way. I [I]desperately[/I] want to see him as the 6th Hokage. Do it, Kishi. Do it.

I'm pretty sure that Sasuke is officially out of the fight now. He used up all of his chakra with that Kirin attack, went Super Sasuke 2, and lost Orochimaru's chakra. If there is any sort of ungodly reserves left in him I will quit the series and burn my collection. Unless he uses up his very life force like in Yu Yu Hakusho. That would be perfect.

I miss Shino . . .

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Super Sasuke 2... Haha. "Wonders if there's going to be a Super 3 and 4"....

[QUOTE=TwistedChick]Gai as Hokage would be the end of the world. Just like if Mustang ever became president with the whole mini-skirt thing, Gai would have everyone begrudgingly running around in green spandex. I think the Hyuugas might commit seppuku.

Kakashi all the way. I desperately want to see him as the 6th Hokage. Do it, Kishi. Do it.[/QUOTE]
As much as I would like to see Kakashi as the next Hokage, I'm banking on Naruto being the 6th Hokage. Kakashi, to me, is like one of those modest types that'll pass up that offer.. (much like Jiraya)

Gai as Hokage... I'd probably die laughing, yet confused at the same time.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

So, chapter 393... Yeah...

My initial reaction isn't anger, so that's an improvement. We finally get to see that Sasuke in the end is powerless against Itachi. That part's satisfying, but not quite enough for me to leave feeling contented.

So, Itachi's jutsu did have the same kind of feel as Yondaime's and the Third's, and now it's shown to be akin somehow. With the battle ending this way (since I do believe this is the official end) how long does everyone think Sasuke will stand there, dumbfounded, before everything sinks in? This kind of conclusion should boggle the crap out of his mind. Did Itachi's strength completely go right before getting his eyes and thus the head-poke alternative, or did he not intend to take them from the start? He's twisted enough to screw with Sasuke's mind like that, but would he actually do it?

And I know people have asked this before, but really, what is Sasuke going to do now? He didn't really even get his revenge. It's more like he simply aided Itachi in committing suicide (if he knew that technique would have such a strong side-effect, that is). This is all very anti-climactic for him. Though, in its own way, this is kind of what had to happen for Sasuke's character to have any hope of redemption. I've said all along that if he really was the one that killed Itachi, there would be no coming back for him, not even a last minute Vader-like conversion. I know that just as many people as think Sasuke will repent think he won't, but we all know that Kishimoto wants us to wonder whether or not he will. It isn't supposed to be clean cut at this point. If things hadn't changed around at the end of this battle, Sasuke would have lost something inside that he'd need to ever turn around. Now, he still has it.

But, what to do...

Man, I hate to sound sucka-fied but I honestly almost started crying on the last 2 pages. Probably because I was listening to "Sengunbanba" from the Naruto Shippuden soundtrack while reading them last 3 pages(one thing I try to do is play the music from the OST to see if the music would fit a page like it would fit the anime. Almost makes me feel like I'm actually watching the anime.). But man, them last few pages when it showed Itachi doin to his little brother like he used to when he was a kid for the final blow just almost made me start floodin out tears. Its almost like Itachi said "Thank you and goodbye baby brother." when he did that.

I'm definetly ready to see what they're going to have instore for us next week.

[SIZE="1"]Well, unlike TC, I'm afraid my initial reaction was anger, or more so a complete "WTF ?!" moment at the end of 393. Yes, I did enjoy the idea that after all he's sacrificed to get the point of being able to fight Itachi, Sasuke wasn't the one to actually kill his brother, it seems to make everything he's done rather pointless.

It's odd, but actually, I'm convinced the poke to the head in the second last page wasn't just Itachi groping blindly and missing, or his realising that he didn't have enough strength or life left to take the eyes, I think that poke had a lot more significance than either of those two ideas.

Meh, this chapter I think is really summed up by Kishi realising Itachi was too popular to be killed by Sasuke, but not popular enough with Kishi for him to win the fight. Sasuke's reaction next chapter is going to be interesting though. [/SIZE]

Totally agreed with Gavin there. But seriously, "What now?" [i]Shrug[/i] Guess we'll find out next week won't we. Although, Itachi died? I just thought he passed out, or fell down. Jeez, you people are better at seeing things then I am x_x

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]It's odd, but actually, I'm convinced the poke to the head in the second last page wasn't just Itachi groping blindly and missing, or his realising that he didn't have enough strength or life left to take the eyes, I think that poke had a lot more significance than either of those two ideas.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

The near exact replication of that childhood scene, even the fact that Sasuke looks shockingly young when contrasted with Itachi, gives it a definite sense that Itachi intended for this to happen, he intended to give Sasuke a 'blast to the past'. I can't tell you the countless fanfics I've read in which Itachi finally confronts Sasuke meaning for it to end with his own death, a sort of "I'm sorry." I actually want to believe this action was his intent all along. That would give it much more significance, like you said Gavin. Whether it's an "I'm sorry" gesture, or more of a "Keep growing stronger, foolish little brother *heart*" or something else entirely, we'll probably be able to make that distinction pretty soon.

I didn't want Itachi to go out this way. I didn't want him to go out at all. But, it is so exceedingly preferrable than having Sasuke be strong enough to kill him that I can't help but be more relieved than angry.

[quote name='TwistedChick']I didn't want Itachi to go out this way. I didn't want him to go out at all. But, it is so exceedingly preferable than having Sasuke be strong enough to kill him that I can't help but be more relieved than angry.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, that really does sum up my feelings on the ending of the fight.

Going back to the forehead poke, I don't know, I've always been hoping for Itachi's redemption at some point, far more so that Sasuke's. Maybe he fought Sasuke to prove to him how strong a Mangekyou could be, and how his real enemy is Madara, as opposed to Itachi. I'll be willing to bet that Madara was actually the one who killed their parents as opposed to Itachi.

Hopefully we'll get some more info next week.[/SIZE]

[color=darkblue][size=1]...You know, Gavin, I had that same thought. At this point, I really wouldn't put it past Kishi that that's the actual case. Though when you think about it, if that's the case, wouldn't that only serve to drive Sasuke even more unstable than he already is? I mean, he's dedicated his life defeating and killing his brother. To find out that wasn't the case at all... That'd be enough to bring me to some point of mental crisis.

And we've just seen that Sasuke isn't all steel and badassery as he tried to make himself out to be. During the last half of that chapter, we saw the old Sasuke, that scared naïve kid who just doesn't know what to do. That's proof enough that he's not exactly in the best mindset right now. And I have a strong inclination that Itachi has just enough strength to tell Sasuke the truth (providing the Madara theory is true).

Next chapter will definitely be good times.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Kei'][color=darkblue][size=1]And we've just seen that Sasuke isn't all steel and badassery as he tried to make himself out to be. During the last half of that chapter, we saw the old Sasuke, that scared naïve kid who just doesn't know what to do. That's proof enough that he's not exactly in the best mindset right now. And I have a strong inclination that Itachi has just enough strength to tell Sasuke the truth (providing the Madara theory is true).

Next chapter will definitely be good times.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, those two steps backwards he took when Itachi was walking forwards really reminded me of their talk over their parents bodies when Sasuke begged Itachi not to kill him. Of course, that was all Tsukiyomi genjutsu, so we have to wonder, was that really Itachi, or could it have been Madara ?

As morbid as it is, I wonder will Sasuke take Itachi's eyes, getting the Mangekyou as it was intended, from brother to brother as a gift, as opposed to taken forcibly. Of course, all this Itachi was really a good guy stuff is about as water-tight as a sponge at the moment. But we can hope.[/SIZE]

Y'know, maybe Sasuke will go after Madara now...? That's pretty much the easiest option in my head right now. It's easier 'cause I don't think Sasuke will join Akatsuki and if he went back to Konoha, he would be watched constantly because he would be labeled as untrustworthy. Of course there's the question of WHY Sasuke would go after Madara... AUGH! I'm hurting my own head.....:animestun

[quote name='chibi-master'] Of course there's the question of WHY Sasuke would go after Madara..:animestun[/QUOTE]
Isn't it obvious? Revenge. I mean, he went after Itachi in revenge, so when he learned it wasn't JUST Itachi who wiped out the clan, why wouldn't he go after them too?

I think it's too early to predict whether or not Sasuke will go after Madara. After watching him fall apart during his fight with Itachi and having it end the way it did, I don't see Sasuke walking away from this in a good state of mind. Not only did he almost lose after all he went through to face Itachi, but to have Itachi die like he did, that would piss me off I can tell you that.

To have worked for so long and to have it end like that. It's like Sasukes whole purpose for being has been striped away. I wouldn't be surprised if he thought of killing himself, before he would think to kill Madara. Or maybe he'll encounter Naruto and the others somewhere along the way soon. If that happens I couldn't even predict what might happen.

As far as the forehead poke goes, I have no doubt that it was intentional. Whether it was done with the best intentions is another story. If you ask me, I think it's his way of taunting Sasuke one last time. Knowing he was about to die anyway, and wouldn't survive transplanting his own eyes, he took one more jab at Sasuke and kealed over. It was almost like he spit in his face.

The anticipation of next weeks chapter is killing me. I can hardly wait to see what's going to happen. I also wonder how Zetsu, our somewhat impartial spectator, might do in this situation. There are just too many uncertainties right now, so I'm not going to pass any more judgement til I have a better grasp on the situation.

Well I for one, am in deep anticipation of the fight between Naruto and Tobi. Because Tobi is my favorite character, I must say that I want him to win, even though I know that Kishi will not finish off the "main character". Although it is hard to tell who's the main character right now...Anyway, GO TOBI!!!!!:blush: