OtakuBoards

Decline In Posting Standards

Doukeshi

[SIZE=1]I would just like to point out the amazing decline in posting quality that seems to have descended upon the Lounge. If anyone cares to check I'm sure they will find a vast amount of poor posts, most of them random. Here's a couple of threads that illustrate what I'm talking about:

[I][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=53428]Otaku board meet up[/URL] [/I]

[I][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=53426]Very Important All Read[/URL] [/I]

and one I find particularly pointless

[I][URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=53405]Say something nice about the person above you[/URL] [/I]

I think the standards are slipping a little here guys.[/SIZE]

[color=dimgray][size=1]

Agreed.

Though I am guilty of posting in the last thread (because I enjoy the little game threads) I've noticed the slow decline in posting. Namely in two other past threads "Favorite Element" and "Favorite Number". When I first joined the OBs, this would not have been tolerated, and I've noticed the slow decline over a period of time. I posted in "Favorite Element" for a remedy and was recieved with a good response from SunfallE, but it still continued elsewhere.

Now I think it's alright for game threads to have moderatley short posts for answers and new posts. However, for the actual discussion threads, I believe one sentence of spam shouldn't constitute as an actual post, and action should be taken. Maybe I'm just jaded, but I find it kind of annoying.

- The Boss[/color][/size]

I've noticed the declining standard of Posts here also, Back in 2003 the threads that Doukeshi listed would more likely than not be closed as, quite honestly, they are spam. I don't understand that threads like those still exist.

However. as The Boss said. Threads with relativly short replys are common in the Play It forum as it is less required for drawn-out and indepth posts.

[color=#b0000b][size=1]The "posting standard" of any forum rests largely on the availability and mood of the moderators.

If you feel something is an issue, hit the report button and offer an explanation. The moderators will see it and take it into account.

P.S. "Self-explanatory" is not a useful thing to type in the Report page comment box.[/size][/color]

[SIZE=1]I try to report posts in the Arena or Art Studio if I think they're out of line and they've been there for a little while, but I'm really shocked that 'Say something nice...' has lasted this long. Most of the replies are stupid and one liners which I was lead to believe was against the rules.

I think you're right, Doukeshi, standards are slipping and I'm coming across more and more members where I'm thinking "And WHY haven't they been banned yet?".[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I have noticed the issues that some of you have mentioned in this thread and you can be assured that I'm going to be taking steps to deal with it. Unfortunately we're still in a situation where we need more staff in certain areas and where we need to re-emphasize our rules/policies.[/font]

[size=1]Post quality is indeed descending. There seems to be a whole new load of new members lately with all the same posting quality (no offense to the outlaws under them <<'). If this gets to be the majority, the standard will move quite a bit. I think that more moderators would be nice, but they'll have to hammer on better grammar and things like that too, like they used to.[/size]

Don't worry, post quality will start ascending again soon, and will keep on ascending until people start complaining about overly harsh moderating, after which post quality will take another dip, and so on and so forth. It's the Circle of Life.

[size=1]Just something that I noticed, but in the Art Studio you have this really important sticky that everyone [color=red][i][b]MUST[/b][/i][/color] read.

[u]Sticky: Constructive Criticism -- Read this before posting. [/u] Views: 22

I know one of those views was mine, there is probably a whole load of views by Retribution himself... Where are all of the views of the new people that started posting in the Art Studio after the hiring of Retribution?

Maybe they only read the rules. Ha, that would be great.[/size]

[quote name='Shinmaru']Don't worry, post quality will start ascending again soon, and will keep on ascending until people start complaining about overly harsh moderating, after which post quality will take another dip, and so on and so forth. It's the Circle of Life.[/quote]
Exactly. It's very much like a pendulum, when it starts to swing too far in either direction - too much or not enough moderation - and members make note the pedulum begins to swing back the other way.

[quote name='Shinmaru']Don't worry, post quality will start ascending again soon, and will keep on ascending until people start complaining about overly harsh moderating, after which post quality will take another dip, and so on and so forth. It's the Circle of Life.[/quote][color=#4B0082]This is true. If you look, you'll see both, "quality is lacking," and, "omg grammar nazi!" threads going back a good ways in this forum.

But as Sara pointed out, members have a very useful tool for helping keep quality high: the Report Post function. I check out every report I get, and moderators should as well. (So remember to check your e-mail regularly, staff!) If something is wrong and members aren't liking it, it will be dealt with.

Beyond getting more aggressive at deleting spammy posts and sending warnings, however, I'm not sure there's much more we can do in Otaku Lounge. An updated site rules page would be nice, but we already have a great sticky thread posted in there by Stuart, plus three moderators watching over the forum.[/color]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]Just something that I noticed, but in the Art Studio you have this really important sticky that everyone [color=red][i][b]MUST[/b][/i][/color] read.

[u]Sticky: Constructive Criticism -- Read this before posting. [/u] Views: 22

I know one of those views was mine, there is probably a whole load of views by Retribution himself... Where are all of the views of the new people that started posting in the Art Studio after the hiring of Retribution?

Maybe they only read the rules. Ha, that would be great.[/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]Yeah, I'm glad you noticed. And for the record, I only viewed it twice to make sure things were in working order.

Basically, no one is listening to me, and I'm sick of being a broken record to every post in every thread. I thought that the sticky would help alleviate problems if members knew what was expected going in. And actually, I have noticed a decline in spammy posts (for the time being at least).

I'm just hoping people start getting their act together in that crazy rating thread. The third strike is coming, everyone. Beware![/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]Yeah, I'm glad you noticed. And for the record, I only viewed it twice to make sure things were in working order.

Basically, no one is listening to me, and I'm sick of being a broken record to every post in every thread. I thought that the sticky would help alleviate problems if members knew what was expected going in. [/size][/QUOTE][size=1][color=#b0000b]Ban warnings! Ban warnings for all!

Ahem.[/color][/size]

Personally i think the whole thing is just a broken record for the moment; i mean so what the mods do their job and everyone complains that there is over moderation.

they give some slack and then everyone starts complaining about the post quality going down. I think they just need to mod and not care about people complaining about their thread being closed.

I also think when you first register for Ob there should be a mandatory quick little quiz on the rules. That will at ensure something staying in the heads of the those jumping on for the first time.

Just me.

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1][quote name='vegeta rocker']I also think when you first register for Ob there should be a mandatory quick little quiz on the rules. That will at ensure something staying in the heads of the those jumping on for the first time.[/quote]Quoted for emphasis. Motion seconded. It's things like this make me thankful that I'm already a member.

...But you know, that it's not only new members that constitute the spammer population. We members should be mindful of our posts as well, yeah? I know some of my posts of late are borderline spam. [/SIZE][/COLOR] :animeswea

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]Yeah, I'm glad you noticed. And for the record, I only viewed it twice to make sure things were in working order.

Basically, no one is listening to me, and I'm sick of being a broken record to every post in every thread. I thought that the sticky would help alleviate problems if members knew what was expected going in. And actually, I have noticed a decline in spammy posts (for the time being at least).

I'm just hoping people start getting their act together in that crazy rating thread. The third strike is coming, everyone. Beware![/size][/QUOTE]

[size=1]Sorry, I wanted to say that <_<'

There are quite some people that never look back in a thread. For example: the new member [i]xwoodlandelf[/i]. You have warned her before, but she has quite recently posted another post in an art thread, just as bad as the other one.

I'm pretty sure it might be an annoying job, but PM'ing the people too would probably work a tad better. Just as an idea, no cricism intended d:[/size]

[color=crimson]At times like these, when the very framework of our fair web forum is being threatened by problems of post quality, we should all take a look back to our [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3452]roots[/url] and remember [i]the horror of the olden times[/i].

[/color] ;)

[quote name='DeathKnight][color=crimson]At times like these, when the very framework of our fair web forum is being threatened by problems of post quality, we should all take a look back to our [url=http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3452]roots[/url] and remember [i]the horror of the olden times[/i].[/color'] ;)[/quote]

[SIZE=1]A lovely little stroll down memory lane Ken, I'm just rather glad the member then known as Red XIII hadn't pitched in his opinion on the situation. But that said according to my recollection I would have only been around a month or so at that stage, and not nearly brave enough to complain to the likes of James, BabyGirl or Warlock. ;)

As for the continuing drop in standards here on OB, personally and perhaps it's only because I'm rather nostalgic I've noticed it going on for a while but didn't really say anything in case I'd be regarded as a fussy Oldie. However given in my most recent RPG in the Adventure Square I've just had to answer a question that should have been posted in the Underground thread, but also shouldn't have had to be answered in the first place as the information required was composed of the entire last paragraph. [/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I think Ken's post does illustrate that standards are much better than they were two years ago or more. The issue we are facing now is only very recent - and it's largely the result of massive staff changes. Staff have moved, some don't have the time anymore and some simply are no longer interested after moderating for such a long time. It has been necessary to hire more staff - and we still need more.

However, I do not want to rush through staff at the same time. Desbreko and I choose staff very carefully - this is why you'll find that staff usually stick around for quite a long time. We don't have a very high turnover of Moderators because we choose very carefully in the first place. I'd rather have quality staff who stick around and really make the effort, than have an influx of staff that provide a quick fix.

In any case, the issue is now being dealt with and I think you'll find this'll be a very short-lived problem.[/font]

[quote name='Boo][size=1']I'm pretty sure it might be an annoying job, but PM'ing the people too would probably work a tad better. Just as an idea, no cricism intended d:[/size][/quote]
[size=1]Duly noted, however I haven't noticed any real repeat offenders. Seriously, thanks for the suggestion... why hadn't I thought of that myself?

In any event, I'm noticing an increase in post quality anyway.[/size]

[FONT=Arial]Becoming a mod hasn't stopped me from reporting poor posts, though it feels weird for me to do it. It's probably just because I'm a point of power doing something that a regular member has to do.

As for the pre-member quiz, I think it would be a good idea. I heard of an MMORPG that made the people who signed up for it take a grammar quiz, and if they failed they were not allowed to play. Maybe OB could utilize something like that, or have the person signing-up type a brief statement as to why they want to join the boards. However, this might deter someone who just wanted to sign up for something to do when they're bored or intelligent conversation, who might happen to have very good grammar and post quality.

Otherwise, I don't see too much of a problem. I don't think the moderation should be so strict that we end up without any remotely fun threads. I can see it now: hot topics in the Otaku Lounge are "Government," "Corporations," "Space Travel," and "Golf." Wait, those are the only topics in the lounge. I really don't want that to happen.
[SIZE=1]
(It's horrible, but I wish that the poor posters and spammers would come to my forum so I could work harder. =P)[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Amelia][FONT=Arial](It's horrible, but I wish that the poor posters and spammers would come to my forum so I could work harder. =P)[/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote][SIZE=1]Dido. But then again, mine leaves little to discuss. ([i]but I love it anyway[/i])

Honestly, I've seen the boards go through many ups and downs. New members come in, some leave because of the rules, and some stick around. Usually the ones that stick around end up fitting in just fine and it goes back to being more active again. I agree with the serious talk in the Otaku Lounge, it's alright to talk about such topics but it would be best to keep some of it light-hearted. As long as its not "Whats uR FaV ColoR? LOL!!" as the subject and is going nowhere. Give it time. By posting better quality, you actually influence new members to write back in the same manner. It's obviously close to summer and I don't doubt that highschoolers and others in school are going to have the summer off and are looking for a place to spend free time. So don't be suprised to see a boom of new members in summertime, it should be greeted as a good thing. After all, as James stated, OB has come along way and I'm sure it's not going to stop now.[/SIZE]

EDIT: [quote name='Tical']It's 'ditto'. This is Otakuboards, not AIM. XD[/quote][SIZE=1]
Actually I know how its spelt but I happen to prefer Dido. I don't know how else to explain it more then that but I hate using it. It's not as if I substitute U for you or anything "drastic" to those that are highly concerned about grammar. So it shouldn't be much of a problem. The funny thing is, I'm never on AIM :/ [/SIZE]

[quote name='Pumpkin][SIZE=1']Dido.[/SIZE][/quote]

It's 'ditto'. This is Otakuboards, not AIM. XD

I don't think the post quality is all that bad. Is it really any trouble to have one or two game threads as long as everything else runs smoothly? It lightens things up, and it's fun, and harmless. Short replies aren't so bad as long as they aren't AIM talk or n00b talk.

[QUOTE=Delta][COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1]Quoted for emphasis. Motion seconded. It's things like this make me thankful that I'm already a member.

...But you know, that it's not only new members that constitute the spammer population. We members should be mindful of our posts as well, yeah? I know some of my posts of late are borderline spam. [/SIZE][/COLOR] :animeswea[/QUOTE]
[size=1]Ban! Ban! Ban![/size]