OtakuBoards

Great Quotes

Lt.Zero

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the quote in my signiature, but I've got plenty that I could probably add to it. If you really want quotes, I suggest hitting up any quotations website or joining facebook. Anyone on facebook has a plethora of quotes from authors they never read or scientists they never studied.

Here's one.
"Roses are red and ready for plucking.
You're sixteen and ready for Highschool"
Kurt Vonnegut Jr. [u]Cat's Cradle[/u]

[size=1]Call me lame, but I really like "You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows" by Bob Dylan in Subterranean Homesick Blues. To me, it says that you don't need a commanding figure to tell you what is truly essential, and as a result, obvious. I guess you could weave anti-authoritarianism in there.[/size]

Guest NIKI12345
[QUOTE=nezzyjean]One of my favorite quotes is one by Friedrich Nietzsche.

"In heaven all the interesting people are missing."

I like it because it kindof makes you think about things, and almost gives you a whole new idea of what hell is...atleast it did to me.[/QUOTE]

What you see on the outside of the person does not tell ones story.

Well thats my quote. I know it sucks. :animeswea

[COLOR=Sienna]"A collision at sea can ruin your entire day." Thucydides, I believe. Apt, true, and fun to say. It's so obvious and simple and yet it seems to profound... Speaking of which...

"It is a rare mind indeed that can render the hitherto non-existent blindingly obvious. The cry 'I could have thought of that' is a very popular and misleading one, for the fact is that they didn't, and a very significant and revealing fact it is too." One of Douglas Adams' best. Just... hilarious. Love to pull that one out in the middle of a conversation.

"The great thing about being the only species that makes a distinction between right and wrong is that we can make up the rules for ourselves as we go along." Another by Douglas Adams. [/COLOR]

I have a rather large collection of qoutes. Usually, when I run across a quote that I like, I write it down so I can put it on my computer. This is my collection so far.
[B]----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wise men choose death before war. Wiser men choose not to be born at all.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
An eye for an eye, leaves the world blind.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Fear is like anger. It keeps feeding itself. And then, eventually, it gets you to
feed it. And you just have to stop it.
The bodies on the pile gather, even as the flowers on the graves wither.
A drowning man knows not the vastness of the ocean, only it's depth.
Fight fire with fire, and the whole world will be up in smoke.
Sunny days wouldn't be special, if it wasn't for rain. And joy wouldn't feel good,
if it wasn't for pain.
I would choose wisdom over youth any day.
Fear does not need a door, nor a window. It works from the inside.
The closer you get to light, the greater your shadow becomes.
We make war, that we may live in peace.
Nothing's never easy when you're concerned.
Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
Hunt as a pack, or die like a dog.
There is no victory in battle worth the blood it costs.
Vision?! What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder you illusions, and bring the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself. Are you really ready to see that vision?
War remains the decisive human failure.
War is an eternity jammed into frantic moments that will fill a life with dreams and nightmares.[/B]

[COLOR=Lime]Wow!!! Lt.Zero, those are some quotes you have. I love quotes and use them all the time at school to help my friends out. Once in a while that is. Here they are:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'll always have your back no matter what!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If you think life is a challenge then you think it's impossible.
But, with courage you can set things right
And make your dreams reality

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
My life is my true happiness.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I'm able to smile everyday 'cause I have a very strong heart for everyone

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Okay this one, I heard from some of my classmates. It's used over all of our school:

Life's a ***** then you marry it and die.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The moon
The sun
And the stars are all things that bring light into my world
And it should also bring light into yours as well

That's about all that I have. I bet I'll some more tommorrow.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Sienna][I]For our chiefs said 'Done,' and I did not deem it;
Our seers said 'Peace,' and it was not peace;
Earth will grow worse till men redeem it,
And wars more evil, 'ere all wars cease.

Fairy tales are more than true ? not because they tell us dragons exist, but because they tell us dragons can be beaten.

There is a great man who makes every man feel small. But the real great man is the man who makes every man feel great.[/I][/COLOR]
-G. K. Chesterton

[COLOR=DarkRed][I]Science-fiction balances you on the cliff. Fantasy shoves you off.

People ask me to predict the future, when all I want to do is prevent it. Better yet, build it. Predicting the future is much too easy, anyway. You look at the people around you, the street you stand on, the visible air you breathe, and predict more of the same. To hell with more. I want better.
[/I][/COLOR]-Ray Bradbury

[COLOR=Navy]Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival.[/COLOR]
-C. S. Lewis[/SIZE]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]"Solitary trees, if they grow at all, grow strong"
-Winston Churchill

"For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it. Too long I've been starving to death and haven't died. I feel nothing. Not the wind on my face nor the spray of the sea. Nor the warmth of a woman's flesh."
-Barbossa

"Definition: 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target "120 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope... Love is knowing your target, putting them in your targeting reticule, and together, achieving a singular purpose against statistically long odds."
-HK-47

"I speak Spanish to God, Italian to women, French to men, and German to my horse."
-some French king

"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"The unexamined life is not worth living."
-Plato

"God has given no greater spur to victory than contempt of death."
-Hannibal Barca

"I am the flail of god. Had you not created great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

"Under Martian law doctors and other wizards are forbidden!"
-Captain Murphy

I lurve these quotes. Especially Hannibal's and Nietzsche's.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I would have to say a really great quote that sticks with me is a quote taken from the song "Omerta" by [B]Lamb of God[/B].

"[I]Whoever Appeals To The Law of His Fellow Man Is Either A Fool or A Coward. Whoever Cannot Take Care Of Himself Without That Law Is Both.[/I]"

I also love Gumps Quote:D "Life Is Like A Box of Chocolates, You Never Know What You're Gonna Get".

[indent][i]"Why art thy songs so short?" a bird was once asked. "Is it because thou art so short of breath?"

The bird replied: "I have very many songs and I should like to sing them all."[/i]
[right]- Alphonse Daudet[/right][/indent]

I always pull that one out when people ask me why I write short stories instead of getting my act together and writing a 'proper novel'.

[COLOR=Blue]Here's a quote from my mother.
"Animals communicate by smelling eachother. Humans communicate by talking to eachother."
I really like this quote, but I'm not good at communicating my feelings. So is this ironic?

I also like the Equivalent Exchange quote from Fullmetal Alchemist.
"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost."
I like saying this quote to people who always say that they're unlucky, or that they have a really bad life. I think it's better than saying "You don't like your life? Then do something about it." And I like seeing their faces when I tell them that I got the quote from an anime. [/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial][INDENT][SIZE=1]"I've been to Ireland and there aren't any fricken' shamrocks."

"The Crusades were basically just a bunch of peasants yelling 'Come guys, we gotta go get Jerusalem back!' and running all over the place."

"Well, you could just wrap yourself up in fireworks and die."

Student: "Don't you think it would be cool if they called you Kathy the Great?"
Teacher: "They already do, I thought you knew that."[/SIZE][/INDENT]

All of those courtesy of my AP World History teacher. She's absolutely amazing. There aren't really any famous quotes I really like.[/FONT]

"There is a man playing a violin and the strings are the nerves in his own arm." -The Crow comic

"Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children." -The Crow

"I said I would push back the wind for you!! Why wouldn't you let me?" -Largo, Megatokyo Omake Theatre 'Circuity'

"To push back the wind... Is such a thing even possible? To change the way it blows, to force it back, back over the wall... To not accept what it brings... I... want to push it back. But I am too scared to try." -Piro,Megatokyo Omake Theatre 'Circuity'

[COLOR=Sienna]"If you do things right, people won't be too sure you've done anything at all." Futurama, The remains of a space probe that collided with God. Sounds really insightful and cool... but really... is not.

"If you're going to be long winded, at least be entertaining." This one is my own. I think that there are a few people on this particular board who could take my advice... and maybe I could take my own, haha. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Lt.Zero']Vision?! What do you know about my vision? My vision would turn your world upside down, tear asunder you illusions, and bring the sanctuary of your own ignorance crashing down around you. Now ask yourself. Are you really ready to see that vision?[/B][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Ya'll managed to grab a lot of my favorites, but this is the only one I've hashed out before. Huey Freeman = my black side lol.

As for some quotes I am fond of:

(This one may not be exact)
"Beliefs are dangerous. People die for them. People start wars over them. If we just allowed ourselves to have ideas, we could avoid all this conflict" - Dogma

I don't know if they intended it to be, but this quote runs deep. I love it.

I can't think of any others, but I'll go round em' up and come back.[/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]"[I]The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.[/I]"
[B]Vince Lombardi[/B] [Often quoted by my English teacher]

This has proven a very apt little quote for my life in the last few years, and it's a revelation that few young people seem to understand.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]Gavin's mention of the dictionary reminded me of a quote my college lecturer used to say quite a lot. Naturally, since the lecture took place in a workshop and we're a bunch of dumb apprentices people tended to get hurt quite a lot and his reply was always as follows:

"If you're looking for sympathy, try looking in the dictionary ... Between shít and syphilus (sp)!"

Great guy.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Albert Flasher][COLOR=Sienna']"If you're going to be long winded, at least be entertaining." This one is my own. I think that there are a few people on this particular board who could take my advice... [/COLOR][/quote]This is why I'll never make a career in entertainment.

In a (probably hopeless) attempt to make a case for unentertaining longwindedness, here's a few selections by Georg Hegel from a little essay called "Who Thinks Abstractly?" It's not brief, it's probably boring, but it does make a point.

[quote][SIZE=1]Think? Abstractly? ? [I]Sauve qui peut[/I]! Let those who can save themselves! Even now I can hear a traitor, bought by the enemy, exclaim these words, denouncing this essay because it will plainly deal with metaphysics. For [I]metaphysics[/I] is a word, no less than [I]abstract[/I], and almost [I]thinking[/I] as well, from which everybody more or less runs away as from a man who has caught the plague.... That everybody present should know what thinking is and what is abstract is presupposed in good society, and we certainly are in good society. The question is merely [I]who[/I] thinks abstractly....

Who thinks abstractly? The uneducated, not the educated. Good society does not think abstractly because it is too easy...

I have only to adduce examples for my proposition: everybody will grant that they confirm it. A murderer is led to the place of execution. For the common populace he is nothing but a murderer. Ladies perhaps remark that he is a strong, handsome, interesting man. The populace finds this remark terrible: What? A murderer handsome? How can one think so wickedly and call a murderer handsome; no doubt, you yourselves are something not much better! This is the corruption of morals that is prevalent in the upper classes, a priest may add, knowing the bottom of things and human hearts.

One who knows men traces the development of the criminal's mind: he finds in his history, in his education, a bad family relationship between his father and mother, some tremendous harshness after this human being had done some minor wrong, so he became embittered against the social order ? a first reaction to this that in effect expelled him and henceforth did not make it possible for him to preserve himself except through crime. ? There may be people who will say when they hear such things: he wants to excuse this murderer!... This is abstract thinking: to see nothing in the murderer except the abstract fact that he is a murderer, and to annul all other human essence in him with this simple quality.... It is quite different in refined, sentimental circles ? in Leipzig. There they strewed and bound flowers on the wheel and on the criminal who was tied to it. ? But this again is the opposite abstraction....

In quite a different manner I once heard a common old woman who worked in a hospital kill the abstraction of the murderer and bring him to life for honor. The severed head had been placed on the scaffold, and the sun was shining.... This woman saw that the murderer's head was struck by the sunshine and thus was still worthy of it.[/size][/quote]