OtakuBoards

What grinds your gears?

Aberinkula

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray]
[FONT=Tahoma]
Seriously, though. What grinds my gears is when you really look forward to a game and when you finally get your hands on it you find out it's horrible. Sucks to be disappointed[/FONT].[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Yep, this is especially true if the game is either a) very hyped up or b) has had a couple of stellar reviews. Sometimes I'll read one or two good reviews before I buy a game (these may not be the deciding factor, they might just add further weight to wanting to buy the game)...and then I'll play the game and find it's nowhere near as good as many people say.

At least most places have a decent returns policy (this is one reason why I often don't buy games online, unless I [i]know[/i] they're going to be good. Online returns can be a total pain).[/font]

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=White][COLOR=DimGray]
[FONT=Tahoma]I do. :whoops:

I also enjoy hockey, lacrosse, snow (though I do get sick of it), beavers, toonies, and poutines. Poutines can be evil though, I only started eating them a while ago and I came to love them. Unfortunately you can basically buy a poutine anywhere in Canada (the movie theatre I work at even sells them) so I've been eating too many. >.>"

Seriously, though. What grinds my gears is when you really look forward to a game and when you finally get your hands on it you find out it's horrible. Sucks to be disappointed[/FONT].[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]That does suck. I spent 50 bucks on LotR: the Third Age, because I heard it was awesome. I hated it. I found elite gondorian armor in Moria. I also PWNed the balrog, but PWNed in turn by a single orc outside of Moria. The orc didn't even have a nametag. It was sad. And I swear, they threw in legendary things for the sake of legendary crap. Like the last axe made in Moria. It was worse than one of the standard axes, like a dwarf would buy at Sears...sad times...[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=deeppink]You know what I can't stand? Foriegn English. It's so pretentious. "Oh, look at me, I have an extra "u" after most of my "o"s, despite it not making the word sound like words already spelled that way, like gourd, ground, or sour. I'm so cultured." Also, try pronouncing your "h"s once in while.

And a lot of accepted foriegn slang is just silly.

"Telly?" Try television, loser.

"Buiscuit?" C is for cookie, damn it.

"Crinkle-cut crisp?" Are you [i]trying[/i] to look ridiculous?

"Dingo?" Why even give a name to an animal? As far as Americans are concerned, all non-domesticated animals are called "Kill it and eat it."

"Loo?" I don't know how to spell this, so I just Americanised it. Although I'm willing to bet its spelled "louou" or something silly like that.

; )[/color]

[QUOTE=Felix Santiago]
[size=1]I just cant stand girls who obsess over anime guys, I see it nearly everyday. jeez. so damn annoying to hear some girl squeal about how hot riku or sora are....[b] WAKE UP: THEY'RE JUST DRAWINGS![/b][/size]
[size=1]
so many kids have the emo look/goth, claiming that they are "individuals.[/size][/QUOTE]What is wrong with the "Goth" look? We are just people who have a very morbid or macabre veiw of life.Also, define "Goth". Everyone calls me "Goth" and the only reason is becuase I am not Christian, wear black rave pants and shirts, have a morbid veiw of life, and hate the sunlight. (also, everybody is "Unique" and a "Individual")

I hate people who try to convert you to Christianity, insult your religion (In my case, Paganism), and people who unfairly judge everyone in a stereotype by the actions of a few.

But, I do agree with your statement about girls who obsess over anime guys.

Other things I hate:
1. Any music other than Gothic Rock, Metal, Techno, Electronica, Darkwave, Rock, and "Emo" Rock.
2. Sunlight
3. Annoying people
4. Jerks

~Lloyd

[COLOR=Dimgray][FONT=Tahoma][quote name='Daasheus']I hate people who try to convert you to Christianity,[/quote]I've helped introduce friends to Christianity before. Does that mean you hate me? Just because I got someone to convert? That's not fair at all! You don't even know me.
[quote name='Daasheus']and people who unfairly judge everyone in a stereotype by the actions of a few.[/quote]Kind of like how you hate anyone who just wants to invite you to their church? I can understand if they keep on asking after you've said no but it sounds like if I even mentioned the word Jesus you'd stab me.

Also, this reminds me of something else I dislike. When people who aren't Christian see evangelists on TV and just assume all Christians are like that. There are some pretty weird evangelists out there (I once saw a man carrying a sign that basically said "You're going to hell!" which definitely is not what God wants Christians to be telling others).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=White][color=dimgray][font=Tahoma]I've helped introduce friends to Christianity before. Does that mean you hate me? Just because I got someone to convert? That's not fair at all! You don't even know me.
Kind of like how you hate anyone who just wants to invite you to their church? I can understand if they keep on asking after you've said no but it sounds like if I even mentioned the word Jesus you'd stab me.

Also, this reminds me of something else I dislike. When people who aren't Christian see evangelists on TV and just assume all Christians are like that. There are some pretty weird evangelists out there (I once saw a man carrying a sign that basically said "You're going to hell!" which definitely is not what God wants Christians to be telling others).[/font][/color][/QUOTE]There is a difference between introducing someone to a religion and [i]converting[/i] someone to that religion. what I mean by converting is people who don't seem to take no for a answer and leave you alone.

And, I have yet to see a Evangelist on TV. I was speaking through past experiences with "hard-core" Christians who believe that every other religion other than their own is wrong and that everybody else is going to hell.

Also, on the stereotype note, I wasn't talking about religion, I was talking about "Goths" and the negative stereotype we seem to receive wherever we go.

Plus, Though it does get tiring listening to TV announcements about Christmas, Easter, Good Friday, et cetera; I have many freinds that happen to be Christian. Also, most of what I think about Christians came from when I went to a Pentecostal church as a kid.. Sorry to insult whatever religous beleifs you had, but I believe that you interpreted my message [i]slightly [/i]wrong.:animesmil :cool: ;)

also, This is something that most christians assume (at least from my own experience), yet is not true: just becuase we say we are not Christian, doesn't mean we don't believe in God, in fact we believe in a God [i]and[/i] Goddess.

[size=2]Happy Mabon, Lloyd[/size]

[quote name='Daasheus]There is a difference between introducing someone to a religion and [i]converting[/i'] someone to that religion. what I mean by converting is people who don't seem to take no for a answer and leave you alone.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]That's not really converting, though, that's badgering. Sure, they're trying to convert you, but they're failing. You seem to be giving the word "convert" a negative aspect which it doesn't have. I recognise that this is just semantics, though, and I know you mean "forceful conversion."[/color]

[quote]Christians who believe that every other religion other than their own is wrong[/quote]

[color=deeppink]Honestly, who doesn't believe that? Most religions are contradictory, and if people thought their religion was wrong they'd change it. There are those who believe that all religions are true, but by believing this they are saying that there are parts that are fault. For example, the Christian God being the one true God?[/color]

[quote]Also, on the stereotype note, I wasn't talking about religion, I was talking about "Goths" and the negative stereotype we seem to receive wherever we go.[/quote]

[color=deeppink]Are you saying it's okay to negatively stereotype Christians and not goths? Because that's what White was getting at: you were complaining about being stereotyped when, in the very same sentence, you stereotyped those who try to convert others.[/color]

[quote]also, This is something that most christians assume (at least from my own experience), yet is not true: just becuase we say we are not Christian, doesn't mean we don't believe in God, in fact we believe in a God [i]and[/i] Goddess. [/quote]

[color=deeppink]Just because you believe in [i]a[/i] god, does not mean you believe in [i]the[/i] god. I'm not saying that your way is wrong here, mind you, merely that what they're assuming is actually true. I don't know much about your religion, so I'm kind of taking a leap here, but I have my doubts that you believe in the same God as Christians do since you also believe in a Goddess.

To illustrate my point a little better, two people can each say "I know Larry," and both be right, even though they are talking about two different people.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']To illustrate my point a little better, two people can each say "I know Larry," and both be right, even though they are talking about two different people.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I know Larry! He's a plumber.

It seems to me that Daasheus just hates people who hate him (I assume you're a guy, because you have girl problems...though that's me stereotyping)...and people different than him. Is that maybe why other people sterotype him? Because he's different than them? Because he scorns all non-rock music, Christians, and everyone not like him. It sounds kind of bigoted. "I hate everyone who's different than me."

One thing I thought of that I hate. Those little restaurants that you go to that charge you seven bucks for a mediocre burger, which you could've bought at McDonald's for two. Now, I hate McDonald's as much as the next guy, but I'm reasonably certain that my body can regenerate the devastaing effects of one burger, for the sake of five bucks, you know? And then old people think these restaurants afe "quaint." No, they are "expensive" and "not that good."

This is kind of a complex issue too, and I'll probably lose a few folks, but the fact that the government doesn't fund paleontology pisses me off. If we can make national parks devoted to showing off our kick-*** natural history, than why can't we extract it at the expense of the government? Ok, I found fossils in the Badlands and got a tidy little fine for it, but the fossils I found should've been flund already, had they paid people to dig them up. You know? If they're important enough to have laws that say you can't take them, then why doesn't the government fund it, so the correct people could do so?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1] I dont like the fact that I cant eat meat today or tommorow. I also dont like it when people cut me off during Good Friday, I'm not supposed to be mad on that day.

also, I dont like to hear people ask what relgion I follow. espically people I barely know. [so I tell them I dont follow a religion, when in reality I'm a christian, I just dont like admitting it to people.]

what really gets me though is when people mistake me for being asian, when in reality I'm more hispanic and pacific islander, I mean look at [URL=http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q234/Leon_Fury/Leon.jpg]this picture[/URL]![/SIZE]

[quote name='Felix Santiago][SIZE=1]also, I dont like to hear people ask what relgion I follow. espically people I barely know. [so I tell them I dont follow a religion, when in reality I'm a christian, I just dont like admitting it to people.'][/SIZE][/quote][size=1]I haven't been to sunday school in quite a while, but if I'm not mistaken, Christians are supposed to accept persecution for their faith openly. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Sorry for preaching at you, but it grinds [i]my[/i] gears when people don't stand for what they believe in.[/size]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1]I haven't been to sunday school in quite a while, but if I'm not mistaken, Christians are supposed to accept persecution for their faith openly. Blessed are they who are persecuted for the sake of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven. Sorry for preaching at you, but it grinds [i]my[/i'] gears when people don't stand for what they believe in.[/size][/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Relax, bud. He's just a little shy. Not everyone can belt out to the world that their best friend was born in a manger right away. ;)

So what grinds my gears? When people cut you off while you're singing/playing an instrument. Pisses the heck out of me. If I'm into a good song for about a minute and someone playfully snatches my drumsticks away, I get mad. :/[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']Christians are supposed to accept persecution for their faith openly.[/size][/quote][color=#007520]And here I thought that was just Catholics.

What grinds my gears are people who take more than offered and then become offended when you cut them off. I said you could stay the night. Why were you here three weeks later? Go find a job and pay me back that loan. >_>

-r2[/color]

[COLOR=DarkRed]So many things that annoy me to choose from! But probably the one that annoys me the most is guys who think taking you out to dinner or to a movie means you'll sleep with them, as if you [I]owe [/I]them for paying $7.50 for a movie ticket or $15 for dinner. It's especially annoying when it's a first date no less. [/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]What grinds my gears?

4chan.org really grinds my gears. Its by far the most aggrivating, vulgar, most retarded site on the intarweb but, dammit, I can't help but go.

Lines. I feel I'm awesome enough that I shouldn't have to wait in line anywhere. I never had to in 3rd grade so why do I have to when I go to the DMV or, better yet, when I go to Arby's?

Customers at my store. Oooh, I just love it when they bring a game to the counter and just give it a little toss and say; 'Yeah..I'll take that.' What a jerk, huh?

Inconsiderate folks. Like above they just can't display kindess to the person serving them. They lead their charge with things like; 'Yeah, gimme...' or 'Yeah, I want..' or my personal favorite 'I'll take...' No no, you will ask nicely and then I will give it to you.

When someone says 'brb' when they really mean 'bbl'.

People in general. They just aren't as cool as I am.[/SIZE]
[/COLOR]

[quote name='Panda']There are plenty of things that grind my gears but I think one of the things at the top of the list would be people who are outright mean and spiteful to others and say they are "just being honest" or it's just "constructive criticism". They troll around baiting people to see who they can get a rise out of. When confronted they act innocent and say the offended person is taking things the wrong way since they are just "trying to help". Yet anyone and everyone can see there is plenty of venom behind their words. :animeangr[/quote][size=1]Oh yes, I hate those too.
[list][*]I don't like people that misinterpret things, jump to conclusions and go on and on about it without asking for a proper explanation first.
[*]I don't like poker and the hype around it.
[*]I don't like the little girl that's supposed to have had two hundred heart failures, AIDS, brain damage and a lot more diseases by now, just because I didn't send an email to 20 people. DIE ALRIGHT.
[*]I don't like it when people stand way too near you when talking to you. Especially since it's mainly the people with bad breath that do so.
[*]I don't like when people think [i]Land Of Confusion[/i] was originally done by Disturbed.
[*]I don't like people who think they're cool and everything, while in fact they're a social failure.
[*]I don't like it when humans record sharks eating seels and turtles, while when a shark would attack a surfer, they'd harm the shark.
[*]I don't like people that see every girl between the age of thirteen and forty as a potential person to have sex with and actually say so to me. Especially if they're social retards themselves, would never be able to get the girl and use all kinds of different/made-up words while trying to say "I want to have sex with that girl". [/list]
There are plenty of other things, but I felt like writing these down.[/size]

[quote name='Boo'] don't like people that see every girl between the age of thirteen and forty as a potential person to have sex with and actually say so to me. Especially if they're social retards themselves, would never be able to get the girl and use all kinds of different/made-up words while trying to say "I want to have sex with that girl".[/quote]You know what's even worse? When they [i]aren't[/i] a social retard. You know. Those guys that see every girl between thirteen and forty as a sex partner [i]and can actually get them[/i].

[quote name='Raiyuu]You know what's even worse? When they [i]aren't[/i] a social retard. You know. Those guys that see every girl between thirteen and forty as a sex partner [i]and can actually get them[/i'].[/quote][size=1]Thank you very much. :(

[color=#EDEDED]Just kidding, yee of little faith in me. >_>[/color][/size]

[quote name='Boo][size=1]I don't like people that see every girl between the age of thirteen and forty as a potential person to have sex with and actually say so to me. Especially if they're social retards themselves, would never be able to get the girl and use all kinds of different/made-up words while trying to say "I want to have sex with that girl". [/list'][/size][/quote]

[color=deeppink]Yeah, I also hate when people discriminate against the elderly.[/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']Yeah, I also hate when people discriminate against the elderly.[/color][/quote][size=1]The thirteen to forty part was actually quoted from one of those people that I dislike. :rolleyes:[/size]

[FONT=Arial]Found another one?while I was walking through Wal-Mart, even.

[U]Fat-Free/Low-Calorie/Low-Carb/Diet foods.[/U] Especially when the only way you can find your once-favorite snack food or other treat is in this atrocious form. I can understand that people are concerned about their weight, and I can understand that people still want to "watch their weight", or some such pandering line, but here's the thing: [I]It's a [U]fudge[/U] bar, people.[/I] You don't want to blimp out, then try some little archaic virtue called [U]moderation[/U], along with another, also archaic virtue called [U]self-control[/U]. One fudge bar or one bowl of ice cream or one [small] bag of potato chips or one serving of fried chicken or one hamburger isn't going to turn you into a bucket of lard. Five fudge bars in one sitting will. A double-cheeseburger, Super-Size french fries, a Super-Size soda, and an apple pie will. Eat what you need to, so the rest of us intelligent people can actually indulge ourselves once a week.

(And what's up with the aforementioned order and a [U]diet[/U] soda? Seems kind of a silly place to get your "diet" from....)[/FONT]

[QUOTE](And what's up with the aforementioned order and a diet soda? Seems kind of a silly place to get your "diet" from....)[/QUOTE]

Actually, about the diet soda thing, I'm fairly certain that too much diet pop is bad for you. Now I can't remember why but my mom's doctor told her it was unhealthy to drink it and not just for the normal soda reasons.

What annoys me is how so many people today go on diets. I remember a survey down on middle school girls that found at least half of them were on a diet or planned on starting a diet. To me, it's another cultural problem. We don't need diets as a people. There are individuals who may need a specialized diet but for most people, really, eating a healthy balance of foods and being active is all that is needed.

Diets also sort of feed into my pet peeve of how everyone wants everything now. It's like people can't stand for things to take one minute now, it has to take a few seconds. No one even wants to work for anything.

Yay pet peeves.

[quote name='Kurayami Oji][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]what grind's my gear's would have to be people who use the same damn avatar and signature forever. I mean, that is just sooo anoying.....but yeah, that's what grind's my gear's America.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote][color=#b0000b][size=1]...define "forever." :whoops:

[quote name='James][font=arial']Yes, I too sometimes get annoyed by American-English. This is mostly from a purely functional point of view (depending on your audience, you have to adjust your spelling). But also on a basic level...American-English is a simplified/lazy version of English. That bugs me at times, lol.[/font][/quote]I am torn between arguing and agreeing! [strike]Languages are constantly growing and developing?words, spelling, pronunciations, and grammar are always evolving. Shortening or words or forms isn't even a matter of people's being lazy?all the languages that I've studied tend toward shortening. But simplification isn't the same thing as laziness?I think a large part of language change simply has to do with how impressionable we are as speaking people. We imitate those around us. Actually, this is a huge tangent, and if I keep going it's going to get even worse.[/strike] Okay, let's try this response again.

[quote name='James][font=arial']Yes, I too sometimes get annoyed by American-English. This is mostly from a purely functional point of view (depending on your audience, you have to adjust your spelling). But also on a basic level...American-English is a simplified/lazy version of English. That bugs me at times, lol.[/font][/quote]Can you give me some examples of what you mean?

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink]"Buiscuit?" C is for cookie, damn it.[/color][/QUOTE]Giggle.[QUOTE=Daasheus']What is wrong with the "Goth" look? We are just people who have a very morbid or macabre veiw of life.Also, define "Goth". Everyone calls me "Goth" and the only reason is becuase I am not Christian, wear black rave pants and shirts, have a morbid veiw of life, and hate the sunlight. (also, everybody is "Unique" and a "Individual")[/quote]I honestly can't tell if you're satirising or being serious. Seriously, you've got me stumped. But, on the off chance that you're being serious...

Why on earth do you hate sunlight?

[quote name='Daasheus]There is a difference between introducing someone to a religion and [i]converting[/i'] someone to that religion. what I mean by converting is people who don't seem to take no for a answer and leave you alone. [/quote]This came up in conversation with one of my friends a while ago. I believe he considers himself agnostic. In any case, he said something along the lines of "I can't be angry with [evangelists] because of what they are doing. If someone believes firmly in their religion, and honestly believes that unless you also believe, you are going to suffer an eternity of pain and misery.... And they dedicate their [i]life[/i] to trying to save you from that. I can't be angry at them for that. I believe that it is one of the most well-intentioned things a person can do."

Food for thought.[QUOTE=Daasheus]also, This is something that most christians assume (at least from my own experience), yet is not true: just becuase [b]we[/b] say [b]we[/b] are not Christian, doesn't mean [b]we[/b] don't believe in God, in fact [b]we[/b] believe in a God [i]and[/i] Goddess.
[/QUOTE]Who's "we"? The way you worded this, you're implying that everyone who does not consider themselves Christian believes in both "a God [i]and[/i] Goddess." And, um, that's not true. [/color][/size]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']Yeah, I also hate when people discriminate against the elderly.[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Yeah! Who doesn't want to have sex with the elderly? That was about the most simple line in the most awkward context ever.

I went on a diet once. I was a fat lil piggy though. I drop 65 pounds and sped up my metabolism. I used that thing called moderation. I worked wonders.

One thing that pisses me off. When people go to college and want to be teachers SPECIFICALLY because they want to be coaches. I was taught by these people, in a school that acted like Sparta, but with less skill. It tore me up inside to know that my teachers didn't inherently know or love what they were doing, and that they were just using teaching as an excuse to get to a coaching job. People, there is more to life than sports. Now, if they wanted to be PE teachers, that's one thing, but a history teacher should know and love history, a science teacher should know and love science, and an english teacher should know and love english. Can I get an amen?[/COLOR][/FONT]

[QUOTE]AMEN![/QUOTE]

[quote name='Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]I went on a diet once. I was a fat lil piggy though. I drop 65 pounds and sped up my metabolism. [B]I used that thing called moderation. I worked wonders.[/B][/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]See? [I]See?[/I] It works! It bloody works.

Amazing, hunh people? [/dripping sarcasm]
[quote name='Farto the Magic][FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Can I get an amen?[/COLOR'][/FONT][/quote]
Amen.[/FONT]

[quote name='Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1]Why on earth do you hate sunlight?[/color'][/size][/quote]

[FONT=Arial]He/she's obviously a vampire!

...I'm not very fond of sunlight myself but I wouldn't go so far as to saying that I hate it. I just have ultraviolet pale skin and I burn really easily.

[quote name='Allamorph']And what's up with the aforementioned order and a diet soda? Seems kind of a silly place to get your "diet" from....[/quote]

Once I was at a fast food place and I heard the order of the guy behind me in line. It was something like "Two large double bacon cheeseburgers, a large chili cheese fry, a large Big Buford (some huge burger, I think), a large spicy chicken sandwich, and [B]a small strawberry milkshake.[/B]"

I lol'd.[/FONT]