OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy: A Steampunk RPG

Sandy

Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?

• Primas Generous
    • Augustine Beauteous
    • Juvenus Courageous

[font=franklin gothic medium]I've been away on my end of year break, but I'm now back. So you can expect my next post shortly. I will try to follow on from Sandy's last post as best I can.

I've just sent a PM to Sandy to clarify something a bit before I post. I've been reading through what I missed and it's all looking fantastic! Great job guys.[/font] :catgirl:

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Heh, Aaryanna, you [I]do[/I] know what's the Victorian punishment for children disobeying school faculty like Victoria and Harrison did? XD They won't get away with mere detention for that...

But it goes without saying that the children of aristocracy sure know how to look down on people. ;D Great post!

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sandy']Heh, Aaryanna, you [I]do[/I] know what's the Victorian punishment for children disobeying school faculty like Victoria and Harrison did? XD They won't get away with mere detention for that...

But it goes without saying that the children of aristocracy sure know how to look down on people. ;D Great post![/QUOTE]Of course, but this time around, nothing is going to happen to them. :p It's something I talked about with Aaryanna and her Mom. Kathy will be following up where I left off. I expect that Catherine is going to give the Head Master a piece of her mind.

Anyway, Sandy already knows this, but I leave later today and won't be back until Sunday, the sixth. I'm not taking my computer so it's likely I'll be off line until I get back. And then the fun of catching up on all the posts I will missed will begin. [/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"]Just to clear something up Sandy/Josh, when is Lady Bavaria expected back at Rosengard ? I know we said "soon" but, just how soon is soon ? I'm asking because I'm thinking of having Daedalus make a little sojourn to the High Academy for a confrontation with Moebius. I know Catherine will already give him a chewing out over it, but I feel Daedalus will try to protect the new found father-on bond he has with Harrison.

Oh, and Victoria and Harrison, don't think just because Daedalus and Catherine are standing up for you that you're getting away unpunished when you get back home. :p[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Just to clear something up Sandy/Josh, when is Lady Bavaria expected back at Rosengard ? I know we said "soon" but, just how soon is soon ? I'm asking because I'm thinking of having Daedalus make a little sojourn to the High Academy for a confrontation with Moebius. I know Catherine will already give him a chewing out over it, but I feel Daedalus will try to protect the new found father-on bond he has with Harrison.[/SIZE][/QUOTE][size=1]Lady Bavaria is expected at any moment, but there should be one or two more posts from myself before she makes her introduction. There will be plenty of time left in the day to interact with Bavaria, so you (or anyone else) should be able to run an errand or two before returning to Rosengard.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Lady Bavaria is expected at any moment, but there should be one or two more posts from myself before she makes her introduction. There will be plenty of time left in the day to interact with Bavaria, so you (or anyone else) should be able to run an errand or two before returning to Rosengard.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Thanks for clearing that up, I had a feeling it'd be a while before she was introduced but I just wanted to make absolutely sure. To the High Academy then.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Oh, and Victoria and Harrison, don't think just because Daedalus and Catherine are standing up for you that you're getting away unpunished when you get back home. :p[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Oh rest assured, they'll be in trouble alright, they just won't be getting whipped. Catherine disapproves of whipping and prefers other methods of discipline. ;) Anyway, I'll get started on my post since I already know what I want to do with it. I'll leave it open so you can have Daedalus show up either right after Catherine left the Head Master's office or just as she is about to leave, whichever you prefer Gavin.

[size=1]Just a quick note to [b]Malkav[/b]. Being gifted in alchemy does not neccessarily equate to having superpowers. I'm referring, of course, to Jack's ability to produce flame with the snap of his fingers. While I don't really object to this power, it should be stressed that this is the exception and not the rule. Alchemists have the power to manipulate [i]science[/i] in such a way as to do the impossible; they can't simply wave their hands and make weapons appear.

If Jack is going to explore this power in the future, I would expect that doing so could create a tremendous strain on his body. It should be treated as a side effect to his alchemy specialty (whatever that is. Airships, I presume) and little more.

Everyone should be careful not to expand their character's alchemy skills into, well... godmodding. We've kept the specifics of alchemy intentionally vague so far, but if anyone needs clarification feel free to ask. Sorry to sound nit-picky.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Oh rest assured, they'll be in trouble alright, they just won't be getting whipped. Catherine disapproves of whipping and prefers other methods of discipline. ;) Anyway, I'll get started on my post since I already know what I want to do with it. I'll leave it open so you can have Daedalus show up either right after Catherine left the Head Master's office or just as she is about to leave, whichever you prefer Gavin.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Yeah, I think I'll have him arrive just as Catherine is about to leave, just so they can have a few words. You already covered a fair bit of what I was going to say, but there's no harm in making the point crystal clear to the historian.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Everyone should be careful not to expand their character's alchemy skills into, well... godmodding. We've kept the specifics of alchemy intentionally vague so far, but if anyone needs clarification feel free to ask. Sorry to sound nit-picky.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Funny thing is, despite having so many talented alchemists, not one of us have done any alchemy yet, well aside from D'Ann.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"][center][b]Being a Carefully Compiled Explanation of Macey's Alchemical Powers Concerning the Human Heart[/b][/center]

Macey Ellen possesses a rare gift over the physiological human heart, one developed over years of frustrations and social shortcomings. It is rare that such a gift acts with such sympathy towards its user, but this particular gift is fitting to Macey. Her power to control the heart of another depends greatly on the feeling of her victim for her.

A good example would be her recent interaction with the unfortunate Mr. Jack Deacon. Having recently been sexual involved with him, the connection between the two was strong, and thus Macey was able to both halt the movement of his heart and simulate a heart attack. Because of his feelings for Macey prior to her attack, she could exercise great control over him.

Another example would be what would happen if she attempted the same kind of alchemy on someone with whom she had not been intimate. While she would be able to cause them discomfort, her capacity to cause them lasting harm would be greatly diminished.

And thus, our studies are concluded.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1][b]Raiha:[/b] Freud would have a field day with you, my dear.

[b]Gavin:[/b] No worries.

Anyway, expect the next Chronicle up in the coming days, focusing on Czenovia's very secretive resistance movement. What connection do they have to the alchemist kidnappings? One can only speculate for now!

-Shy[/size]

[SIZE="1"]I know I said I'd have the meeting with the board Josh, but honestly, the length of the post and the fact it's nearly 4:30 AM prevented me from doing so. I'll try and write it for tomorrow, after I get some much needed sleep.

[[b]Edit[/b]] Crap, deleted by post by accident, I'll repost it now.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]Everyone should be careful not to expand their character's alchemy skills into, well... godmodding. We've kept the specifics of alchemy intentionally vague so far, but if anyone needs clarification feel free to ask. Sorry to sound nit-picky.

-Shy[/size] :whoops:[/QUOTE][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Funny thing is, despite having so many talented alchemists, not one of us have done any alchemy yet, well aside from D'Ann.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Meh, it's not going to happen with my character. lol I wasn't really planning on it since I got the impression from the very beginning that the alchemy skills wouldn't be of that nature. So to have it pop up is a wtf deal, [I]seriously[/I]. It seems out of place since it hasn't been in the rpg at all until now.

Anyway, the only thing my character would be able to do is perhaps sense when others are sick or rather what their sickness is, but that is something one can pick up from careful training and observation, not from some innate ability. :p[/FONT][/COLOR]

People, let's revise what we agreed upon before the actual game even happened.

[QUOTE=myself]Shy answered to your question, D'Ann, but I just want to add that you shouldn't expect to be able to just clap your hands to do miracles and call that achemy, a la Fullmetal Alchemist.

In this game alchemy really is a science, for which you may have an inherited potency, but which you still need to study long and hard. That's why none of the commoners are alchemists, really (since they don't get to go to science schools).[/QUOTE]

We should all know by our age (especially if we've watched Fullmetal Alchemist, but otherwise as well) that the power of alchemy is tied to matter: you cannot create anything without taking something away. Sure there's magic involved, but it's not all that and circus tricks. Fire can be created with alchemy by combining flammable things with just the right amount of gasses, for example, not by merely snapping fingers.

If you're wondering about Gadget's powers, or perhaps are envious of them and want to ask why [I]your[/I] character doesn't have them, it's because Gadget is a special experiment. These powers aren't coming from him, it's because of the injections he has been given, although his inheritance does make him a suitable target for the stuff Macey has been injecting him.

Anyway, his powers are strictly related to the main story, and are an important part of it. Now if all characters suddenly start having superhuman powers out of nowhere, the purpose of this main story will be quite frankly watered down.

This is not a superhero RPG, it was never meant to be that way. Gadget will not become a superhero who will save the day, in fact he greatly suffers from what has been done to him.

So if you want your character to have magical abilities, please tie the powers to some object or materials (like in Alecia's case, her potions).

I sincerely hope we can all agree to this, and continue with the game. ;D

[quote name='Sandy']We should all know by our age ([B]especially if we've watched Fullmetal Alchemist[/B], but otherwise as well) that the power of alchemy is tied to matter: you cannot create anything without taking something away. Sure there's magic involved, but it's not all that and circus tricks. Fire can be created with alchemy by combining flammable things with just the right amount of gasses, for example, not by merely snapping fingers.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]D'oh...

Anyway, I was just wondering, seeing as the Almagests are supposedly the most powerful clan of alchemists, exactly what level of power should we be able to display ?[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I just want to point out the incident that occurred in my latest post. I will summarise it here for those who may miss it, if only because it [i]might[/i] have an impact on other people's posts.

Basically, the Underdogs (presumably) knew that Vincent's steam car would be travelling near the center of High Czenoble and they caused a major traffic jam, which allowed them to detonate an explosive right near his car.

His driver was killed, but he survived. Vincent is now on a train, on his way to Rosengard (there is a terminal within walking distance).[/font]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Anyway, I was just wondering, seeing as the Almagests are supposedly the most powerful clan of alchemists, exactly what level of power should we be able to display ?[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Well, since it's a science that has to be studied, I guess it depends on which member we're talking about. I guess Daedalus, with right materials at hand, could very well create powerful explosions and change substances of things etc., while someone like Victoria would only know most basic things taught at school.

The Almagest bloodline only gives the family member the potential to be great alchemists, it's each to their own how they use it. ;D

[quote name='Sandy']Well, since it's a science that has to be studied, I guess it depends on which member we're talking about. I guess Daedalus, with right materials at hand, could very well create powerful explosions and change substances of things etc., while someone like Victoria would only know most basic things taught at school.

The Almagest bloodline only gives the family member the potential to be great alchemists, it's each to their own how they use it. ;D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]OK, thanks for clearing that up Sandy. Though, I think it'll probably be a while before Daedalus actually performs alchemy, as opposed to the products of his alchemy being seen.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Sandy']

The Almagest bloodline only gives the family member the potential to be great alchemists, it's each to their own how they use it. ;D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]And since Macey's spent her life both dissecting human hearts, as well as obsessing over them, her ability makes a certain freaky amount of sense. And I'd like to clarify that this isn't really a good power. In fact, it really sucks, since she only has the ability to hurt the people that get close to her.

We discussed this in vague terms earlier Sandy, I'm surprised you forgot. But that's alright, I forgive you your lapse if you'll never use smilies again.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sandy']Anyway, his powers are strictly related to the main story, and are an important part of it. Now if all characters suddenly start having superhuman powers out of nowhere, t[B]he purpose of this main story will be quite frankly [I]watered down[/I][/B].[/QUOTE]I agree, the idea of having actual powers would in my opinion, ruin a perfectly good rpg. Catherine will not, in spite of being well versed in teaching the different fields of alchemy, be doing [I]anything[/I] that doesn't have some basis in science, much in the same way real fires are started using compounds in our world. Like matches for example. That is how I understood the alchemy in this rpg to be, after all, only the very wealthy would learn about such things so to others in say New Czenoble, it would appear as if it were magic even if it were not.

[quote name='Neuvoxraiha'][COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]We discussed this in vague terms earlier Sandy, I'm surprised you forgot. But that's alright, I forgive you your lapse if you'll never use smilies again.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry, but I really don't have any memory of talking with you about anything like that. Guess you just have to be less vague with me in the future. ;D

[quote name='Sandy']I'm sorry, but I really don't have any memory of talking with you about anything like that. Guess you just have to be less vague with me in the future. ;D[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Good lord, it's a sign! You've grown old!

But seriously, for the record, I think we should all just relax, breathe a little, and go get some popcorn. Or cake. Or cheesecake. Definitely cheesecake.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Eh? Shy and Raiha, do our posts go together? I'm a bit confused, since they all take quite a different approach on the same scene. :/

I'm just wondering whether they were written at the same time, that's all. What's your take on the scene?

[quote name='Sandy']Eh? Shy and Raiha, do our posts go together? I'm a bit confused, since they all take quite a different approach on the same scene. :/

I'm just wondering whether they were written at the same time, that's all. What's your take on the scene?[/QUOTE][size=1]I edited my post to make them transition a little better into one another, so hopefully that helps. Fauntleroy has some suspicions about Gadget, but he'll be much too busy to give him very much attention. I imagine Vincent, and others will do much of the detective work and get to the bottom of this mystery!

-Shy[/size]