OtakuBoards

The Almagest Legacy: A Steampunk RPG

Sandy

Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. Who was chosen as a royal heir by Mideus Prosperous to succeed him?

• Primas Generous
    • Augustine Beauteous
    • Juvenus Courageous

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not to worry, everyone. I'm still here...

I'm just having a bit of trouble figuring out what to do with Charles... If anyone has any ideas to make him more involved, please do not hesitate to use him in a post...

If I don't get some ideas after I catch up on my missed posts, I'm afraid my activity in this RP will shrink even more...:animecry:

And even though, I know I can manage my time appropriately now, I still have a lot of stuff to do. And I'll be starting The Abyss sometime soon, and I know that a second RP will sap all of my time. (Moreso because it's my first time hosting) If anyone would like to joing that though, feel free. (It's a lot of fun, and I know that you sadists would love to make sexual, gritty, and evil posts that must be excluded from the victorian lifestyle)

So, yeah, just giving eveyone an update. (Creativity running low :animedepr)

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's also good to create your own story arcs (like personal arcs for your character), to give you something to do. That in turn also gives your character a history and personality, which will be of help to other players.[/font]

So Macey has spilled the beans about Project Alchimaera to Gadget, Vincent and Eva. Feel free to post your characters' thoughts about the revelation.

Anyway, I thought Macey and Eva could start to work together to find a way to reverse what the injections have done to Gadget. Whether they will succeed or not is up to you. ;D

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]So far so good, I figure it'll be fun trying to come up with an insane solution to an insane problem.

And yes, incase nobody had figured it out, Macey is going to be on the market for a marriage. We have several candidates in mind, but I figure the family should feel free to announce their suggestions to her on a regular basis. Lady Catharine and her would have some discussions on it obviously, but if siblings, aunts, uncles, have opinions to express, I figure they should hop right to it.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Just a quick note to [b]Malkav[/b], [b]Cyriel[/b] and [b]Muse[/b]: I have the worst cold ever, and no longer have the mental capacity to write an RPG post. I imagine I'll be better after the weekend, but I would very much like to see the Dynasts' dinner carry on without my participation. I've spoken to each one of you in some broad details about my ideas for it, so if you can include any of those within your posts please feel free. Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Now I need to go to work. Ugh.

-Shy[/size] :animesigh

No worries, Shy. You just take the time to heal from your [strike][URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=man+flu"]man flu[/URL][/strike] cold. We'll just have fun without you. Well, Jack will on the dice floor. Get well soon.

[font=FranklinGothicMedium]Hope you feel well soon Shy!
So I got started on the dinner at the Mirror Palace, and I just kind of ran through greetings with everyone. As for the actual dinner itself, I didn't know exactly how you wanted to proceed. I thought that they might just eat dinner in a very formal setting (long table, fifty billion courses, etc), and then retire later to another room where they can socialize a bit more? But I'm kind of brain-dead at the moment, so I hope someone can think of something better.[/font]

[COLOR="Indigo"]I'd like to bring up a concern that I have right about now, and that's how the socializing going on here is in my opinion, dragging out to the point where it's bogging the rpg down. I mean seriously. We have 130+ posts and haven't even gotten through three days in the actual story line of the rpg. To be frank it's kind of boring and tedious since it feels like we aren't going anywhere. I'll spell it out...

I had an idea that I wanted to include but I "[B]have to wait until after the dinner[/B]" (how many dinners will there be?!) We can still have the social aspect but we need to be free to push time forward more. I feel that this is a legitimate concern because I find it tedious how that aspect weights so heavily into the rpg at this point. And to be blunt, it's starting to get boring as well.[/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Perhaps there needs to be a new Landmark that moves time forward or something?

The day-by-day thing is fine initially but I pretty much agree with Indifference. Although I believe we have crafted a great story with wonderful characters, everything still feels extremely early and preliminary (like we're sort of still on a first chapter).

I guess it would just be good to get a bit deeper into the story by having more of the core elements revealed.

I was thinking that I will be able to introduce Gustave in a week (RPG time, haha), which could equate to a much longer period in real life.

What do you think? We don't want the RPG to stagnate at this stage of its life.[/font]

I was actually thinking about the pace as well, when I realized that Gadget has only been two days in Rosengard.

The problem is that with so many individual plot-lines, it's hard to drastically move the time forward without stepping on someone's toes - which has already happened a few times nevertheless (for example in Gavin's and Chikara Kokoro's cases).

But I guess we can work in a time jump somewhere in the flow of the game. Maybe after the royal dinner is over, we can move forward a week into Leonhart's memorial service? You can post what has happened to your character during that "missing" week then, if you feel the need for it.

Is this alright with all of you?

[B]EDIT:[/B] I have just posted the seventh Chronicle which gives us information about Anova and it's capital, written by our very own Jamesy. ;D (Sorry, James, I felt it was necessary to combine the two you sent instead of posting them one after the other.)

Check it out at the first page!

[quote name='Sandy']The problem is that with so many individual plot-lines, it's hard to drastically move the time forward without stepping on someone's toes - which has already happened a few times nevertheless (for example in Gavin's and Chikara Kokoro's cases).

But I guess we can work in a time jump somewhere in the flow of the game. Maybe after the royal dinner is over, we can move forward a week into Leonhart's memorial service? You can post what has happened to your character during that "missing" week then, if you feel the need for it.

Is this alright with all of you?[/QUOTE]Ah, but that's what the edit button is for right? Anyway, I've actually been thinking the same thing as well since we've spent the past five weeks living in the same two and a half days. So it really is starting to feel like the story isn't going anywhere, a time jump probably would help, but cutting down on the social functions probably would help as well because on some level I agree, we've socialized the poor rpg to pieces at this point.

That and I think we're worrying to much over things matching time wise in a perfect manner. I honestly don't have a problem if people are posting in the same day but not always at the same time of day. There have been times when posts were broken up when I wasn't confused to begin with.

And the dinner bit as Crystia mentioned, is annoying since now I'm at the same impasse, I do have things I'd like to do, but again, we need to be on another day or even a week in the future for them to even work. Anything else I add at this point would be more meaningless socializing and I'm not interested in doing more of that in the same day. At that point I think it becomes redundant, to keep posting about similar events. In other words I agree with getting the rpg moving along.

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]I'd like to bring up a concern that I have right about now, and that's how the socializing going on here is in my opinion, dragging out to the point where it's bogging the rpg down. I mean seriously. We have 130+ posts and haven't even gotten through three days in the actual story line of the rpg. To be frank it's kind of boring and tedious since it feels like we aren't going anywhere. I'll spell it out...

I had an idea that I wanted to include but I "[B]have to wait until after the dinner[/B]" (how many dinners will there be?!) We can still have the social aspect but we need to be free to push time forward more. I feel that this is a legitimate concern because I find it tedious how that aspect weights so heavily into the rpg at this point. And to be blunt, it's starting to get boring as well.[/COLOR][/QUOTE][size=1]Given the Victorian setting, spcializing and politics are going to play very heavily into the RPG. I think that much can't be helped, but I do understand your concerns and I'll try to address them while I'm still coherent.

At least to me, I feel like the story has moved forward a great deal. This might be because I have a better idea of where things are headed, or simply because I'm more comfortable with the slower pace, I dunno. Obviously some of the characters have been pushed to the sidelines, but I think that's as much the player's fault as anything else. I have some ideas about what to do with Harrison and Victoria Ann later on, though, which should be fun.

The dinners don't bother me because they are one of the few times that all of the characters get together, so it's interesting to see their interactions after the day's events. Tonight's 'dinner' with the Almagests really isn't very significant, though, so if you want to skip past the family dinner and do whatever that's fine.

We can push the story forward a week, but that seems kind of arbitrary. But yes, maybe we'll start the story a few days into the future, immediately after Leonhart's funeral. Hopefully that helps somewhat.

-Shy

[b]Edit:[/b] As for my need for the timeline to fit up perfectly, I can't help it. It's a pet peeve of mine, and I think the story flows much better when everyone's posts are more or less set at the same time.[/size]

I'd actually like to write about the memorial service itself (not funeral since there isn't an actual body to bury). It would give a good chance to delve into what kind of a religion there is in Czenovia (something at least I haven't thought of).

Any suggestions for the religion, btw? Or do Czenovias only believe in progress and machines? Maybe they're "technotheists". ;D

Oh, and I really don't want to hear any more about this game being "boring" or "tedious" (got enough of that during Ragnarok anyway). If you guys really feel that way, it must be only because you haven't done anything about it. I'm having fun developing [I]my[/I] character, why don't you have fun with yours as well? What's holding you back? I mean, c'mon! There's a whole fantasy world created for you to explore! ;D

If it's just the slow pace that's bothering you, then the issue is already being addressed.

[quote name='Sandy']Any suggestions for the religion, btw? Or do Czenovias only believe in progress and machines? [B]Maybe they're "technotheists".[/B] ;D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I think that's actually the most likely option, at least for the people of High Czenoble. As you pointed out Sandy, they seem to believe so heavily in technology and progression, it doesn't really make sense for them to have a heavy sense of religion, at least on a large organised scale.

I can see the people of New Czenoble having religions though, as alchemy must seem pretty close to magic for them. I doubt many will have seen alchemy directly, so it's mostly stories handed down from parents to children. It might actually make an interesting plot turn, the development of religion in Czenovia.

*Muses over the potential of becoming a 'deity' in the eyes of the commoners* :animesmil

Anyway, it's finally Friday, so I should have a post written some time in the next 24 hours as I promised one for the weekend.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]I doubt many will have seen alchemy directly, so it's mostly stories handed down from parents to children.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

That's where you're mistaken, since everything runs with Magitechnology, and many of the citizens of New Czenoble work in Magitech Corps factories. Sure, they might not know how to do alchemy themselves, but it's all around them. ;D

[quote name='Sandy']That's where you're mistaken, since everything runs with Magitechnology, and many of the citizens of New Czenoble work in Magitech Corps factories. Sure, they might not know how to do alchemy themselves, but it's all around them. ;D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Ah, my bad, nevermind then.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Sandy']Oh, and I really don't want to hear any more about this game being "boring" or "tedious" (got enough of that during Ragnarok anyway). If you guys really feel that way, it must be only because you haven't done anything about it. I'm having fun developing [I]my[/I] character, why don't you have fun with yours as well? What's holding you back? I mean, c'mon! There's a whole fantasy world created for you to explore! ;D

If it's just the slow pace that's bothering you, then the issue is already being addressed.[/QUOTE]*poke* Don't start that Sandy, people are simply addressing concerns with something that obviously they find fun or they wouldn't say anything at all. ^_~ So don't shove the blame back on them, that's kind of rude really. I've felt a little bogged down by the pace as well, but only because there is so much I want to do that I haven't been able to yet. Think about it, would you rather people simply quit posting or speak up when they feel a little frustrated? I know I'd want to hear from someone if they felt that way. ^_~

And the reason I'm posting, it's to say that I'm glad to hear that the pace will pick up a little since I've felt it was a little slow as well. So I'm pleased to see that I'm not the only one who felt that way, especially since I like how this is going and I'd hate to see it fall apart when it's got so much character development going for it. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]So don't shove the blame back on them, that's kind of rude really.[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

It's responsibility I'm shoving here, not blame. If something is boring you, then make it interesting, that's what I'm saying here.

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Think about it, would you rather people simply quit posting or speak up when they feel a little frustrated? I know I'd want to hear from someone if they felt that way. ^_~[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Yes, but I'd also like to hear positive comments for a change as well. You just gave some, so I thank you for them. ;D

[I]I[/I] just feel frustrated when all I get to read is threats that people are losing their interest and getting bored. There are other ways to express that something needs to be done aside of negation, you know? ;D

So instead of "I'm getting bored, why doesn't this game move forward?" try "I'm having so much fun that I want to move on with the plot!". Even if it's pretentious, it'll make one Sandy very happy. XD

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Sandy;802565]Oh, and I really don't want to hear any more about this game being "boring" or "tedious" (got enough of that during Ragnarok anyway). [/QUOTE]If you don't want to hear it then don't start an rpg. [quote name='Sandy;802565]If you guys really feel that way, it must be only because you haven't done anything about it. I'm having fun developing [I]my[/I] character, why don't you have fun with yours as well? What's holding you back? I mean, c'mon! There's a whole fantasy world created for you to explore! ;D[/QUOTE]Now that's going to make me feel motivated, telling me I haven't done anything about it when I[I] have been[/I] working with other players to make things happen. If I wasn't having fun I would have simply quit posting instead of tell you I felt like it was bogged down by the social aspect. [QUOTE=Sandy;802565']If it's just the slow pace that's bothering you, then the issue is already being addressed.[/quote]That is the gist of what I was saying... remember? 130+ posts and only two and a half days? At that rate it's going to take forever to finish even a week in the time frame of the rpg. [QUOTE=Sandy'][I]I[/I] just feel frustrated when all I get to read is threats that people are losing their interest and getting bored. There are other ways to express that something needs to be done aside of negation, you know? ;D

So instead of "I'm getting bored, why doesn't this game move forward?" try "I'm having so much fun that I want to move on with the plot!". Even if it's pretentious, it'll make one Sandy very happy. XD[/QUOTE]I don't make threats I simply tell you what I think, if I really was completely bored or not interested I wouldn't bother to post. lol And I did say I wanted to move things along quicker, you're focusing on the other aspects and missing that I'm saying I feel like the dragging/pace/etc is what is making it seem boring. :p[quote name='Shy'][size=1]This might be because I have a better idea of where things are headed

[CENTER]///snip///[/CENTER]

[b]Edit:[/b] As for my need for the timeline to fit up perfectly, I can't help it. It's a pet peeve of mine, and I think the story flows much better when everyone's posts are more or less set at the same time.[/size][/QUOTE]I think that contributes to it. You know far more about where we are going so it's easier for you to see the progress since you know what's around the corner. As for the time line, if that's something that you prefer then I don't have an issue. It's pretty easy for me to keep track of that kind of stuff, but at the same time if you don't like it then you don't. Some people are like that, I'm just not one of them so I find it odd when people prefer it. [/COLOR]

You have to realize that even though me and Shy are the creators of this game, we really don't want to control and come up with [I]everything[/I] that goes on in this game. This game is just as much in the hands of all the players as it's in ours.

Now some players have contributed - a lot - and are obviously enjoying the game. Some players on the other hand haven't posted much at all, whatever their reason is, and I don't think any miracle can get them back into the game anymore. But no-one can put blame in any one person's shoulders on the slow pace of the game: with so many players in the mix, things are bound to take a while to advance.

I personally have advanced the plot and developed my character in each of my post, and in my opinion so have all the others. So my main gripe probably is that I don't understand what's so boring and tedious about that?

So what if it's just been two and a half days? A lot of things have happened during that short timeframe. Think about the tv-show, "24", and how much stuff happens in it in such a limited time. Who can define how many days have to be included in a hundred post, for example?

Anyway, the "problem" is as said being addressed, and the game will take a leap forward in time, though if that really matters something is debatable. Whether the pace will speed up from there, I cannot say - as I don't really have much power over it. When it all boils down, I'm just another player of this game.

[size=1]Sandy, you [i]are[/i] coming across as rude. Let us all take a deep breath and move on.

One thing I would like to point out is that this RPG has roughly 12 or 13 active players. so the faster we move the story forward the more risk we have of losing people who aren't able to keep up. It seems like only a few days ago people were complaining about how active the RPG was, but I do understand (and appreciate) indifference's concern.

The timing for this works out pretty well, actually. Lady Bavaria is going to be shaking things up pretty drastically within Rosengard, so if we move on to the 'aftermath' it should prove to be interesting. Once we wrap up the royal dinner we can move onto the next part of the story and leave this entire mess behind us.

I always assumed Czenovia was Atheist, but if someone wants to delve into the religious aspect of the world please feel free.

-Shy[/size]

Interestingly enough, I feel the same way in regards to some of how the story has gone and the only reason I said nothing was the slower plot pace made it easier to keep up while I recovered from my surgery. I know I'll be pleased to see things move along since I'm eager to see where it goes. ;)

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]I have some ideas about what to do with Harrison and Victoria Ann later on, though, which should be fun.[/size][/QUOTE]Oh? Do tell. Hehe. Victoria Ann is always up for getting into mischief. Even if she's usually well behaved, she's at that age to just naturally get into trouble. :p Believe me Crystia and I have some fun stuff planned for the Head Master of Chaos once things get moving along. [/FONT][/COLOR]