OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]
That being said, that girl I like totally likes me back. Working on figuring out what to do with that for now.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Ask her out?

There is a marvelous thunderstorm outside complete with house-shaking thunder and long, bright lightning that fills a dark room.:animesmil

NO ALGEBRA HOMEWORK AND I THINK I ACED THE TEST. *glances at Ace*:p

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]Because half of the rest of them "have one" (whatever that means) and it kinda-but-not-really seems like you're left out?

Meh. Make y'own time.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]
This was pretty much my philosophy throughout high school. I never saw the point in relationships because I was not interested in intimate acts like kissing or greater, and because I felt it was impossible to find the one person you could be with forever when you're only 15, 16, 17 years old.

Then all that changed pretty quickly when I actually fell in love with someone.

I'm back to not caring about relationships, though. For one thing, I haven't even made a single new friend this year, so there's no real eligible girlfriend candidate. And I'm not about to get involved with someone I've already known; partially because I don't feel *that way* about any of my current friends and partially because I've already done it and pretty much ruined the greatest thing I've ever had in my life.

(I've had a fairly dull, uneventful life).

Anyway, I wish people could share my point of view. I get so tired of hearing people wishing they had a significant other, or being so desperate for intimacy they try the first person who shows any interest. It makes no sense to me, because I only really care about such things when there is actually one specific person I'm in love with.

tl;dr, I feel wordy and thoughtful right now.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Clurr'][SIZE="1"]
This was pretty much my philosophy throughout high school. I never saw the point in relationships because I was not interested in intimate acts like kissing or greater, and because I felt it was impossible to find the one person you could be with forever when you're only 15, 16, 17 years old.

Then all that changed pretty quickly when I actually fell in love with someone.

I'm back to not caring about relationships, though. For one thing, I haven't even made a single new friend this year, so there's no real eligible girlfriend candidate. And I'm not about to get involved with someone I've already known; partially because I don't feel *that way* about any of my current friends and partially because I've already done it and pretty much ruined the greatest thing I've ever had in my life.

(I've had a fairly dull, uneventful life).

Anyway, I wish people could share my point of view. I get so tired of hearing people wishing they had a significant other, or being so desperate for intimacy they try the first person who shows any interest. It makes no sense to me, because I only really care about such things when there is actually one specific person I'm in love with.

tl;dr, I feel wordy and thoughtful right now.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Except I'm not looking for love right now. I'm looking for someone to date. I'd be a fool if I thought I could find "THE ONE OMG" at age 15-18. I have no interest in finding a soulmate right now, as I'm just too busy and will be for the next 3 years or so. I'm just looking for at least one relationship so that I'm not completely akward by the time I'm ready to seriously date (which will be a while).

I tripped on about 3 pairs of shoes in a row just now. I think it's time for me to clean my room...:animedepr

[quote name='chibi-master']Except I'm not looking for love right now. I'm looking for someone to date.[/quote]
[FONT=Calibri]This concept makes no sense.

[quote name='Clurr][SIZE="1"']I never saw the point in relationships because I was not interested in intimate acts like kissing or greater, and because I felt it was impossible to find the one person you could be with forever when you're only 15, 16, 17 years old. [/SIZE][/quote]
It isn't. However, mostly the reason such things are sought after is exemplified above.[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]This concept makes no sense.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Sorry, maybe I was vague... I meant that I'm not looking for "that special someone" or whatever it's called. I don't have to be [I]in love [/I]with the person to date them, right? It could just be a crush, right? Or do I have that wrong?

[quote name='chibi-master']Except I'm not looking for love right now. I'm looking for someone to date. I'd be a fool if I thought I could find "THE ONE OMG" at age 15-18. I have no interest in finding a soulmate right now, as I'm just too busy and will be for the next 3 years or so. I'm just looking for at least one relationship so that I'm not completely akward by the time I'm ready to seriously date (which will be a while).[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Practice makes perfect, I guess, though I'm not sure how I feel about it when it comes to relationships. Maybe if I'd had some things would be different now. But still, life is easier just assuming that there will probably not be anything like that for me ever again...or at least not for a long time.

I'm too cynical, and downright apathetic. It kind of helps with a lot of emotional strain.

In other news, I absolutely cannot fathom why people so often say that some music artist they don't care for has "no talent." I honestly can't stand a good amount of what's popular and I never really could, but I'm not about to say that any of my most disliked groups have no talent. Justin Bieber, for instance. He knows how to sing. His problem is that his songs are annoying and very displeasing to me. Same with the Jonas Brothers, Miley Cyrus, and pretty much the entire country music genre (which means every single music artist my sisters love).

Like, I seriously have to leave the room whenever my sisters have "Party in the USA" or "Baby" playing. They get stuck in my head so easily and it drives me up the wall.

And I get really miffed when people say Lady Gaga has no talent. I don't understand how people can be so blind to it. She has a powerful voice and can actually play an instrument and write her own music. And her songs are musically interesting and fun.

However I will be the first to admit that the Black Eyed Peas are legitimately awful. [URL="http://30.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_l0tyb1vM2x1qzxzwwo1_500.jpg"][U]AWFUL[/U][/URL]. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]This concept makes no sense.
[/FONT][/QUOTE][size=1]I don't know, it makes sense to me.

Go on dates, have fun, eat ice cream outside and give sweet/awkward goodbye kisses on the front porch. You don't have to find (or think that you've found) long-term, "true love" type relationships to enjoy that.[/size]

[FONT=Calibri]If it means nothing then what's the point?

As in, if it means nothing then it's just for fun, in which case it's only a glorified version of Pretend House we used to play as four year olds. And given the amount of social drama it inevitably spawns, I'm fairly certain it's not just for fun.

Also, monocle: O_ರೃ[/FONT]

I'll be honest and say I've never had a boyfriend before (and I'm 21 now). Never been on a date, never been kissed, never held hands; none of that jazz. Do I feel left out? Well, I'd be lying if I said I didn't (just a little bit), but at the same time I'm in no rush to get into a relationship.

Basically, I'm with Alla on this one.

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]As in, if it means nothing then it's just for fun, in which case it's only a glorified version of Pretend House we used to play as four year olds.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]This is possibly the best description of dating that I've ever heard [or read, in this case].

But yeah. I echo Missy's statement. Don't get me wrong, I have my periods of jealousy, but overall, the right guy will come along sooner or later. I'm in no rush.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri]If it means nothing then what's the point?

As in, if it means nothing then it's just for fun, in which case it's only a glorified version of Pretend House we used to play as four year olds. And given the amount of social drama it inevitably spawns, I'm fairly certain it's not just for fun.

[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]I don't think it necessarily has to "mean" something to be worthwhile. There are plenty of things in life you could describe that way, after all.

In terms of dating, I think both you and Sara are right. Sara's describing the human side of it and you're almost describing the sociological side of it - dating probably [i]is[/i] a form of Pretend House (for teenagers at least). The social drama and the emotional rollercoaster come with the territory and they, too, are all part of growing up - at any rate, they're very much a big part of being a teenager. [/font]

Just because nobody wants to go on a date with you doesn't mean it's pointless when other people do go on dates. Not more pointless than anything else in life apart from surviving and reproducing, really.

[quote name='Boo']Just because nobody wants to go on a date with you doesn't mean it's pointless when other people do go on dates. Not more pointless than anything else in life apart from surviving and reproducing, really.[/QUOTE]

You just made my day, good sir!

Some idiot at my school decided it was a good idea to take a dump on the floor of the boys' bathroom. I really wish someone would have seen it so that he might be forced to clean it up instead of the janitors.:animesigh

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Which seems pretty pointless in and of itself if it just prolongs the existence of the species so they can do more pointless things.[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Well. Sometimes a Boo pops out to bless to make everything a bit more bearable.

[FONT=Calibri]Erm. Two notes.

1)
[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I don't think it necessarily has to "mean" something to be worthwhile. There are plenty of things in life you could describe that way, after all.[/font][/quote]
The former is possibly the most contradictory statement I've ever seen. The latter is possibly the most useless.

2)
[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']In terms of dating, I think both you and Sara are right. Sara's describing the human side of it and you're almost describing the sociological side of it....[/font][/quote]
We'd better both be right. The human side of it [I]is[/I] the sociological side of it.

Compliments to Ace for being stalwart, even if doing so surprised him. :p[/FONT]

[quote]The former is possibly the most contradictory statement I've ever seen. The latter is possibly the most useless.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Wow, okay. I'm not sure why the former is contradictory, nor why the latter is useless. Care to explain your rebuke?

I'm not being facetious when I say that there are many things in life that are apparently without "meaning" (that term itself being quite subjective) but that are still highly enjoyable and enriching.

If chibi wants to date with no intention of it being a serious relationship, then that certainly doesn't make the venture pointless by default.[/font]

[quote]We'd better both be right. The human side of it is the sociological side of it.[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Well, not really; your comment draws a parallel between teen dating and Pretend House. But that is clearly not the same as Sara's point.

The teenagers involved would simply be looking for the very things that Sara describes, without giving a conscious thought to the sociological reasoning behind it.[/font]

[size=1]And I'm going to say that you're all wrong, just to give you all someone to be equally angry with. Oh, and that you're clogging a relatively pointless thread with an actually substantial and interesting debate. :P

On that note!

I have coffee and a dirty room. I believe I shall clean it. :D[/size]

[COLOR="Indigo"][FONT="Arial"]It's really quite simple. It's called casual dating. You go out to have a good time without expecting to fall in love or to have any 'fringe' benefits as a result. You're simply looking to get to know people and make friends and if something else comes of it, you take it from there.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yep. Not to mention the fact that most teenagers (and probably many people in general) often do things without having a particular goal in mind.

An example I'm thinking of is that I have a good friend who I go out with in the city quite a bit. He likes walking in the city - but only if we have a particular destination in mind.

Whereas I like to just wander and see where I'll end up. I may have a vague idea of what I want to do, but basically I just love walking around my city - purely for the enjoyment of the experience and without having some specific overarching goal in mind.

This frustrates my friend because he sees aimless wandering around as "pointless". That's fair enough - to each his own - but it certainly doesn't negate my enjoyment of wandering!

Speaking of which, I should take this opportunity to force a ham handed segue into a frivolous topic, in keeping with the rest of the thread: does anyone else here feel the same in terms of wandering? I mean, going for a walk - especially in a city - and simply enjoying the sights and sounds, without necessarily having something specific to do?

I guess it's a bit like window-shopping. Some people love it and some people really don't see any value in looking at shops if you don't intend to buy something there and then.

I'm a bit iffy about window-shopping, but I really love spending time in the city here. I'm lucky that it's such a beautiful city, too - I'm sure that plays a big role. [/font] :catgirl:

[quote name='James'][font=franklin gothic medium]Speaking of which, I should take this opportunity to force a ham handed segue into a frivolous topic, in keeping with the rest of the thread: does anyone else here feel the same in terms of wandering? I mean, going for a walk - especially in a city - and simply enjoying the sights and sounds, without necessarily having something specific to do?[/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]I'm not much of a wanderer for a variety of reasons:

1) I can only go so many places on foot or bike, I know for a fact. My neighborhood is situated in between three major roads with only a few interesting places reachable without crossing any of them (including a big music superstore, Sam Ash, and the library). Neither I nor my parents want me to cross a major road.

2) I have a car, so if there's a place I want to go I can just drive. It's a lot more convenient than trying to walk anywhere, though unfortunate because I wish I could be more environmentally friendly. My city just isn't very conducive to the improvement of the environment, though, it's the third largest city in the state.

3) I pretty much already know where everything is over a large area. The places I don't know so well are the shadier, less safe places, so there's a good reason why I don't know them, and why I don't really plan on knowing them.

4) IT'S TOO HOT. It's barely been May a week and it's between 80 and 90 degrees outside, but the worst thing is the humidity. I could walk outside for ten minutes and get drenched in both sweat and atmospheric moisture, so basically wandering would be one of the most disgusting things I could do.

5) I hate going anywhere without knowing what my destination will be. I used to try to ride my bike around for a while just to get some exercise, but just meandering aimlessly is so ridiculously boring that I always ended up coming home early.[/SIZE]

I like walking, but I live in an ugly poopsack so I tend not to wander around here too much. When on vacation in some city I walk non-stop though, destinations being whatever I happen to cross next, while trying to avoid major roads mostly.

Stockholm is downright perfect for the above. James should go to Stockholm to wander. Cycling works there too.

[quote name='Boo']I like walking, but I live in an ugly poopsack so I tend not to wander around here too much. When on vacation in some city I walk non-stop though, destinations being whatever I happen to cross next, while trying to avoid major roads mostly.

Stockholm is downright perfect for the above. James should go to Stockholm to wander. Cycling works there too.[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Ugly poopsack? Ouch. I wonder if that will feature on their tourism flyers. o_O;

Anyway, yeah, I think some cities are very conducive to walking and some aren't. It probably depends.

For instance, I love walking in Melbourne because it's so full of large parks, it's very clean and the atmosphere is fantastic - it's a really fun place to be. I felt the same in New York too.

But I'm sure if I lived in a poopsack I wouldn't feel like wandering around. :animedepr[/font]