OtakuBoards

The Padded Room Party: Random Thoughts

Shy

[QUOTE=Ace][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Okay, so a rogue "anti" virus program just wormed its way into my system. It's popping up messages every three seconds that I'm infected and need to run my sweeps. Thank you, captain obvious. Problem is, this SOB is blocking me from accessing my legitimate programs, so I can't nuke it with Avira. I'm being forced to download a vaccine program, which is taking forever.

So I guess my question is if there's any way I can track the origin of this thing and set its creator on fire. Or is there another, more painful method I don't know about?[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Calibri]First off, if the program you're downloading it one suggested by the program, stop the download. It's not legit.

Second, I could be wrong, but I think this might be the same persistent bastard that hit us in about 2004 and made me get so anal about antivirus. But to be sure I'd need to talk to you about what the symptoms are. What I remember is (like you said) being informed every several seconds that I was infected with either adware, spyware, malware or trojans, and that I should download a FREE [program] SCAN to get rid of them; or that I had registry errors and needed to download a FREE REGISTRY SCAN to fix them.

And after a few clicks on the "no, thanks" option, I was usually presented with a window that said "You really need this scan. We're starting it now." and the only way to get rid of it was to Big Red X the window.

Thing is called [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vundo"][COLOR="Blue"]Vundo[/COLOR][/URL]; I know it as Virtumonde. Probably heard me rant about it before. Google something like "how to fix vundo" and you'll probably get a few hits on free-download stuff to fix it.

That's about all I know to do, though, aside from wiping the hard drive. Which is what we did. It sucks.

[B]Edit:[/B] Sam is stalking me via Who's Online.[/FONT]

[quote name='chibi-master']Glorious day! OB is back! I was driven mad because I wasn't able to do my nightly prowl of this thread...[/quote]

What was stopping you? :confused:

Also, I'll miss OB. Hopefully the move isn't very long. :animecry:

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Calibri][B]Edit:[/B] Sam is stalking me via Who's Online.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]:D[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Stephanie'][size=1]Where are you headed to THIS time?[/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Microsoft Sans Serif"][SIZE="1"]I think she was referring to [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/announcement.php?f=4"][U]this[/U][/URL].

The "announcements" here are way too subdued. They need to be on the front page, flashing red, or something.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Stephanie'][SIZE=1]Where are you headed to THIS time?[/SIZE][/quote]

Yeah, what Sangome said. (Thanks by the way Sangome.)

Also, what's up Steph? :animesmil

Oh and I saw the [COLOR=Red]SCARIEST[/COLOR][COLOR=Black] car today. The only way it could have been scarier was if it was a white van. It had a Pedobear sticker on the window. :animecry:[/COLOR]

[quote name='Japan_86' date='01 June 2010 - 09:05 PM' timestamp='1275386718' post='694081']
OTAKUBOARDS IS BACK UP YAY I'M SO HAPPY. Thanks for your hard work, guys!!
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]It's our pleasure! I just hope you guys like what we've done. There's definitely more to come, as well. :)[/font]

[quote name='James' date='01 June 2010 - 03:18 AM' timestamp='1275387507' post='694085']
[font=franklin gothic medium]It's our pleasure! I just hope you guys like what we've done. There's definitely more to come, as well. :)[/font]
[/quote]

Maybe a dark skin? This is blinding lol

[quote name='Japan_86' date='01 June 2010 - 03:56 AM' timestamp='1275389817' post='694090']
Maybe a dark skin? This is blinding lol
[/quote]
or caramelldansen... i miss those dancing girls already....

[font=franklin gothic medium]Yep, the skin work is far from complete. But at least for now you guys can focus on getting used to the way things work and we can iron out the remaining issues before we move on.

We'll try to end up with a good mixture of skins so that everyone has something they feel comfortable with.[/font]

Hmmm. I think we should ban the thought of anyone having a screen smaller than 1024 in width and just increase the banner size again. :^D

But rly now. I completely forgot what I had set as my avatar and signature after I checked the "don't show" boxes. It was a nice surprise. The standard emoticons stink direly, but it's cool how I can now just add and unadd Desbreko as my friend without having to hop pages.

Also, Multi-Quote and Watching? Ace. Flash uploader? Ace. Easily being able to change my display name to Lady Shy? Sexy. Edited by Lady Shy

[font=franklin gothic medium]I actually had somebody organised to design a set of emoticons [i]just[/i] for OB - totally custom ones. He showed me a sample but then he kind of dropped off the map. I have a couple of other options though.

But yeah, in any case, I wouldn't mind replacing the default emoticons with our own. [/font]

[quote name='Lady Shy' date='01 June 2010 - 11:23 PM' timestamp='1275395037' post='694098']
Also, I love the stuff we can do, like Member linking and editor resizing and everything. Could we do that before? I used the minimal editor. :V
[/quote]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Those are the little touches that are new on this version. There are really just too many things for me to mention even on OB World, so I figured you guys would have some fun discovering them as you go.

I just think that in general the site feels a lot more modern - and not just because of the design. You'll notice if you look at the Recently Added Topics panel on the right and if you click the arrows above it, the forums actually slide across to fill the screen. I like those little touches. ;)[/font]

That was quite a painful waiting experience, especially when I hardly know how to get anything to work in TheOtaku lol. I should probably tinker around with that site a bit more often just incase something like that happens again.

+
-

...... Is that a rep system thingy? Edited by Rebellion

[font="Calibri"]As long as I can still post in my own font I'm okay. Also, I almost discovered a great new way to save everyone else the aggravation of me making footnotes all over the place, but it seems I can't do that. =/

[b]Edit[/b]: Two oddities I notice right away are that I'll have to alter my signature because the reputation system has taken over my shoutbox <_< and according to the BBcode deal I run the site. Hunh.

AAAGGGHH BIGASS EDIT BOX WHAT IS THIS
[/font] Edited by Allamorph

[quote name='Korey' date='01 June 2010 - 09:34 AM' timestamp='1275410076' post='694112']
[color="#000080"][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Gah, now I have to find another Avatar, because I was using an OB default one :P[/font][size="1"][/size][/color]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I lost a lovely sig and avi set, it seems. I could swear they were hosted off-site, too.

Oh well, about time I updated my look anyway.

EDIT: I frickin' love this display name feature.[/font] Edited by Aberinkula & Fitch

[quote name='Aberinkula & Fitch' date='01 June 2010 - 10:48 AM' timestamp='1275414516' post='694116']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]I lost a lovely sig and avi set, it seems. I could swear they were hosted off-site, too.

EDIT: I frickin' love this display name feature.[/font]
[/quote]

Hear, hear! The display name feature is awesome!! I just love how my picture is of Desbreko. What's funny about it is when the profile picture feature came up a few years ago, it somehow disappeared and reappeared with this new software upgrade.

[quote name='Aberinkula & Fitch' date='01 June 2010 - 07:48 PM' timestamp='1275414516' post='694116']

EDIT: I frickin' love this display name feature.[/font]
[/quote]
[color="#000080"]
[size="1"][font="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Well if you do have the links, it's really easy to replace them ;P[/font][/size][/color]