Jump to content
OtakuBoards

Recommended Posts

Posted
[quote name='chibi-master' timestamp='1306120677' post='707547']
*pops up next to you* ROADTRIP~!!! YES YES YES TAKE ME WITH YOU I CALL SHOTGUN!!! Bro is coming, too, of course!

After re-watching the Lord of the Rings movies, it occurs to me that I've never read the books. I'm debating if I should start with The Hobbit, or just jump into The Fellowship of the Rings.
[/quote]

Starting with The Hobbit is a good idea, I think. It really does lay the groundwork for the trilogy--plus it's a fun, fairly lighthearted way to dip your toes into Middle Earth.
Posted
[quote name='Elle Jay' timestamp='1305861844' post='707493']
[color="#556B2F"][font="Times New Roman"][size="3"]I'm getting annoyed by people who are saying "JUDGEMENT DAY IS MAY 21ST!!1!!!!1!111!!1exclamationpoint". May 21st is not Judgement Day. It is Graduation Day. =D[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]People have been saying that for years. Some Churches have published no less than six separate dates (all of which have passed). So long as they prepare for continued disappointment (which is more likely than not to continue forever), then I guess they'll be OK.

chibi, I haven't read The Hobbit but if it is at all lighter than Fellowship of the Ring, I recommend starting there. I began to read Fellowship of the Ring and while it has flashes of brilliance, I just felt that there was far too much filler in between the good bits. There are only so many pages where you can read about how the grass looks, or which way the trees are growing or how tall the mountains are. I was always eager for the moments where the characters would stop in a town or where something would actually happen, because these moments tended to be well-written, funny and even sometimes pretty frightening.[/font]
Posted
I started reading The Hobbit today and though it took me a few minutes to get used to Tolkien's writing style, I think I'm enjoying the book very much!

My AP Psych class is now watching Donnie Darko. I respect the teacher more than any I've ever had, but I think he's reading too much into the movie. I mean, geez...
Posted
I know quite a bit about cooking but why the heck does lasagna taste better when it is reheated? If I could harness that improvement power I could become a master chef.
Posted
[color="#556B2F"][size="3"][font="Times New Roman"]I was very glad to be able to change my location from "Corrupted state" (Illinois) to "Southern Michigan". =] I feel so much better.[/font][/size][/color]
Posted (edited)
[quote name='James' timestamp='1306199647' post='707563'][font="palatino linotype"]
I haven't read The Hobbit but if it is at all lighter than Fellowship of the Ring, I recommend starting there. I began to read Fellowship of the Ring and while it has flashes of brilliance, I just felt that there was far too much filler in between the good bits. There are only so many pages where you can read about how the grass looks, or which way the trees are growing or how tall the mountains are. I was always eager for the moments where the characters would stop in a town or where something would actually happen, because these moments tended to be well-written, funny and even sometimes pretty frightening.[/font]
[/quote]

I've always thought the "filler" was an intrinsic and necessary part of the good bits. It's always seemed to me that for Tolkien, the place in which an event happens is just as important as the event itself---particularly when you start getting into mythology, which is what he was trying to create.

You're definitely right in that it slows down the reading process, but I have a difficult time imagining Lord of the Rings without the detailed description. It would be impoverished somehow. Edited by Ducky
Posted
[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1306229421' post='707572']
[font="Comic Sans MS"][url="http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/archives/2011/05/lets_get_this_p.php"]Stuff like this[/url] makes my frustrating inability to get to bed at a decent hour worth it.[/font]
[/quote]

I approve of this.
Posted
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Attempted the 3 hour Nyan Cat video, gave up after 15 minutes when I started to lose cognitive function.[/size][/font]
Posted (edited)
[quote name='The Professor' timestamp='1306229421' post='707572']
[font="Comic Sans MS"][url="http://www.collisiondetection.net/mt/archives/2011/05/lets_get_this_p.php"]Stuff like this[/url] makes my frustrating inability to get to bed at a decent hour worth it.[/font]
[/quote]

[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Are you implying that you stayed up late reading that or stayed up late trolling chat pornbots?

...

[s]HAPPY PAGE 400 ERR'BODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY[/s] lol nvm[/font][/color] Edited by Sangome
Posted
[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1306265685' post='707580']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]
HAPPY PAGE 400 ERR'BODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[b]Do you come from the future? O.O[/b]
Posted
[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1306265685' post='707580']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"][s]HAPPY PAGE 400 ERR'BODYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY[/s] lol nvm[/font][/color]
[/quote]

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]This appears factually correct, why lol nvm ?[/size][/font]
Posted
Depends on your settings. For me it's 400, but when you set the posts to 50 per page it'll be about 150 or summin.
Posted
I've got 396, so what the hell?

So. Something happened today that was awesome. In the middle of Geometry, I was staring at a problem I just couldn't seem to answer no matter how I approaced it. Then, out of nowhere, I did it. I just...knew what to do! It was amazing! All of the sudden, I thought, "Wow, I'm stupid. Obviously I have to use this method so that I can do a logic proof and be done with this." I was so excited! My answer was 100% right, and I'm so happy~!!! Maybe I will pass the exam after all!
Posted
[quote name='Ducky' timestamp='1306251711' post='707576']
I've always thought the "filler" was an intrinsic and necessary part of the good bits. It's always seemed to me that for Tolkien, the place in which an event happens is just as important as the event itself---particularly when you start getting into mythology, which is what he was trying to create.

You're definitely right in that it slows down the reading process, but I have a difficult time imagining Lord of the Rings without the detailed description. It would be impoverished somehow.
[/quote]

[font=palatino linotype]Oh, believe me, I appreciate detailed description as much as the next person. And Tolkien does this incredibly well. But there were several moments where the description went on for so long that it felt redundant, particularly when the group was traveling. Whilst I think it is valuable to describe the landscape and the environment, there were times when Tolkien seemed to become bogged down in certain details that weren't necessary or even interesting.

I think there is something to be said for pulling one's punches at times. There were moments that could have been very beautiful and magical, but they became almost utilitarian due to over-explanation. In other words, I felt that certain moments lost the magic they might have had, because Tolkien could not avoid getting caught in unnecessary technicality.

This, for me, made the book a chore to read at times. And that's a shame, because I actually loved the writing. And when something was actually happening - even very subtle character interactions - I was really enjoying the book.

Maybe I will re-visit it at some point and give it another try, but my memory of the first time is still too vivid for me to make the effort again at the moment.[/font]
Posted
[quote name='Sangome' timestamp='1306278191' post='707588']
[color="#9932CC"][font="Microsoft Sans Serif"]Or it has something to do with us being weird modly peoplez.[/font][/color]
[/quote]

orite, forgot about that 8D
Posted
So apparently someone accidentally puffing cigar smoke into my face will make me cough for 3 hours straight. I feel like my lungs have been slapped by a mafia boss.

I have two final art pieces to finish, but apparently there is an extended deadline! VICTORY!!!
Posted
i want school to hurry up and be over .~. i want my holidays so i can relax for a month.....also does anyone know what could cause a lower eye-lid to start pulsating/twitching? because this has been happening to me all day
Posted
[quote name='Midget Ninja' timestamp='1306481200' post='707611']
h.....also does anyone know what could cause a lower eye-lid to start pulsating/twitching? because this has been happening to me all day
[/quote]

It could be caused by lack of Magnesium. Try to eat a banana or two, or take a magnesium pill.
Posted
This painting is taking forever to finish... *needs more pink paint*

Why is it so cold?! It's May already!

My buddy really needs to stop texting me in the middle of school. I have my phone on silent, but still...
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...